Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Serbian Medieval History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serbian Medieval History
    Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 14:15
And what do those studies say in this case?
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 17:58
The hypotheses suggested by Decebal are strenghtened by the fact it is assumed that Slavic groups north of Danube (like Antes) were in fact a mixture of Slavic, Gothic, Iranic, Uralo-Altaic elements.
However, Walter Pohl (1985) observed that the ethnonym of the Croatians appeared after the fall of the Avar khaganate and suggested that the elite group giving this name to Croatians were in fact a tribe from Avar confederation. Therefore, he suggested a Turkic origin char-vata (free warriors) -> chrovatoi.

Edited by Chilbudios - 07-Jun-2006 at 17:58
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 05:16
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

I'd be careful with that book Decebal. great study indeed but one made over 15 years ago. it doesnt include all of the most recent available studies.

Fine is right-in general-both names Serbs and Croats cannot be explained through slavic languages...they don't mean anything...Pliny and Ptolemy (1st and 2nd century AD) mention serbs and croats on theritories where there wasn't any slavs...
"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 05:23
Originally posted by Chilbudios

The hypotheses suggested by Decebal are strenghtened by the fact it is assumed that Slavic groups north of Danube (like Antes) were in fact a mixture of Slavic, Gothic, Iranic, Uralo-Altaic elements.
However, Walter Pohl (1985) observed that the ethnonym of the Croatians appeared after the fall of the Avar khaganate and suggested that the elite group giving this name to Croatians were in fact a tribe from Avar confederation. Therefore, he suggested a Turkic origin char-vata (free warriors) -> chrovatoi.

weren't the antes in eastern europe? Altaic element? I don't think there was any altaics around when antes started existing as a confederation...

I never thought i'd be defending the croats...LOL Ok-both serbian and croatian names are mentioned centuries before avars as sarmatian tribes...And that ethimology is rubbish-both serbs and croats called the avars OBRI.Turkic origin....pffft....LOLConfused
"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 10:33
Originally posted by Socrates

weren't the antes in eastern europe? Altaic element? I don't think there was any altaics around when antes started existing as a confederation...
In the north-pontic steppes?

Ok-both serbian and croatian names are mentioned centuries before avars as sarmatian tribes...
Not their names but some names bearing some similarity. 

And that ethimology is rubbish-both serbs and croats called the avars OBRI.Turkic origin....pffft....
You may have misunderstood both Decebal's and my (actually Pohl's) point. We're talking about ruling elites. Slavic tribes were for some time under Avar or Bulgar dominance. Bulgars gave their name to the Slavs they settled amongst, why can't this scenario repeat for Croats?
"Obri" is a late mention and possibly taken from Byzantine accounts ("Abaroi").

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 12:30

You may have misunderstood both Decebal's and my (actually Pohl's) point. We're talking about ruling elites. Slavic tribes were for some time under Avar or Bulgar dominance. Bulgars gave their name to the Slavs they settled amongst, why can't this scenario repeat for Croats?
"Obri" is a late mention and possibly taken from Byzantine accounts ("Abaroi").

No-i understood your point quite well...''Obri'' is what the south slavs called the avars...not our historians but common people- do u think they picked it up from byzantine historians Confused?...There's a proverb in croatia-''to shout like Obri''- it means to shout like a savage...

Not their names but some names bearing some similarity. 

I don't know about croats-but Plinii Cecilii Secundi in Historia Naturalis says: "A Cimmerio accolunt Maeotici, Vali, Serbi, Zingi, Psesii".It's dated 1st century AD.SERBI-hmmm...sounds similar to....oh, i don't know-Serbs, perhaps...LOL 

Once again:what altaics were part of the Antes?
               Bob Rock
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 12:58

''Obri'' is what the south slavs called the avars...not our historians but common people- do u think they picked it up from byzantine historians Confused?...There's a proverb in croatia-''to shout like Obri''- it means to shout like a savage...
I haven't said "historians" but "accounts". Many early Slavic states from southern and eastern Europe were under certain degree of Byzantine cultural influences. There's (was?) a saying also in Russia - "to perish like the Obri" (invoking Avar khagante definitive demise). Did the Russians take it from Croatians? Smile
And amazingly, popular traditions do inherit some rather scholarly traditions. For instance, in the Medieval Slavic culture we find a copy of a Byzantine account of Alexandria (the story of Alexander the Great). Elements from this story eventually reached the folklore, and even today, in rural areas, you may encounter the legend of "blajeni"/"rocmans"/"nago-mudri" derived from the gymnosophistai, the brahmans Alexander the Great allegedly met.

I don't know about croats-but Plinii Cecilii Secundi in Historia Naturalis says: "A Cimmerio accolunt Maeotici, Vali, Serbi, Zingi, Psesii".It's dated 1st century AD.SERBI-hmmm...sounds similar to....oh, i don't know-Serbs, perhaps...LOL 
One objection is that this words you quote are in an interpretatio Graeco-Romana (of Pliny and his sources), the modern term "Serbs" may reflect many others. So before equivocation one must identify the linguistic environments these words have crossed and make the correct equations. A second objection would be "yes, so?". There's one Albania in Caucasus, one Albania in Illyria, is there a connection? Is the Chinese surname Chien related to the French chien? And we know of blatant mistakes due to similarities: Jordanes holds Goths to be Getae. So a similarity (especially when there's a considerable distance in time and space) without further evidences doesn't inspire much confidence. A third objection (though rather question) would be, if Serbs are so well identified where are the others? But from that I draw a fourth objection, how do you know Pliny's account to be accurate? Confirmed by whom/what?

Once again:what altaics were part of the Antes?
Altaic is a large linguistic group which among others holds Turkic languages. Some of these tribes are correlated with the ethnonyms of Huns, Bulgars, Avars though sometimes they may be not the same with the ones that settled in Europe.
Antes, like most nomadic entities were probably an impure mixture of tribes of various origins. I just enumerated the possible elements that could form them because of their neighbourhood.

Edited by Chilbudios - 08-Jun-2006 at 13:24
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 13:14

One objection is that this words you quote are in an interpretatio Graeco-Romana (of Pliny and his sources), the modern term "Serbs" may reflect many others. So before equivocation one must identify the linguistic environment the words have crossed and make the correct equations. A second objection would be "yes, so?". There's one Albania in Caucasus, one Albania in Illyria, is there a connection? Is the Chinese surname Chien related to the French chien? And we know of blatant mistakes due to similarities: Jordanes holds Goths to be Getae. So a similarity (especially when there's a considerable distance in time and space) without further evidences doesn't inspire much confidence. A third objection (though rather question) would be, if Serbs are so well identified where are the others? But from that I draw a fourth objection, how do you know Pliny's account to be accurate? Confirmed by whom/what?

Yes-but how many people calling themselves Serbs are there?You've got us serbs, Sorbs (lusatian serbs) in germany and Sarban tribe in afghanistan.It's a well-known fact that sarmatian imposed their rule to slavs.I'm aware that we're slavs culturally and mostly balcan natives genetically, and that our original serb genes are like 0.03 %-but how can u explain the name Serb?

Btw - why would the croats call themselves by avars after the avars were crushed-i mean-they hated the avars... and it's not the same as with Bulgars-turkic bulgarians allied with slavs to defend themselves from avars and byzantines-in the first 200 years there was almost no mixing between them-not until they were christianized...
               Bob Rock
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 13:27
A third objection (though rather question) would be, if Serbs are so well identified where are the others?

assimilated by others probably-where are the huns, avars, sumerians,hurians,cimmerians, scythians...

But from that I draw a fourth objection, how do you know Pliny's account to be accurate? Confirmed by whom/what?

Ptolemy mentions Serboi dwelling in Sarmatia in the 2nd century AD.

Similarity between Serb/serboi/serbi/sorbs/srbi is quite obvious (the root srb)...but if say it's just a coincidence-then so be it-since u must have more competence then John Fine-you must be some world-authority on history...

Edited by Socrates - 08-Jun-2006 at 13:29
               Bob Rock
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 19:10

Yes-but how many people calling themselves Serbs are there?You've got us serbs, Sorbs (lusatian serbs) in germany and Sarban tribe in afghanistan.
Well, from most testimonies we don't know how they called themselves we know how they are called. In fact we know even less than that, we know a label, an assumed ethnonym, but we don't know what it covers (the people labeled by it are differentiated culturally? racially? politically?) or if it's a word derived one of the authors (i.e. the name of land, or a mountain or of a river extended to the populations inhabiting it)

It's a well-known fact that sarmatian imposed their rule to slavs
On contrary, little is known, most things are hypothesised and the evidences are not generous.

Btw - why would the croats call themselves by avars after the avars were crushed-i mean-they hated the avars...
How do you know they hated the Avars? Any written testimonies? And why hating Avars and not hating  whatever Iranian tribes that arguably had a similar relation with (as seemingly you suggest)?

assimilated by others probably-where are the huns, avars, sumerians,hurians,cimmerians, scythians...
They have their confirmed history. Can you tell the same about Vali?

Ptolemy mentions Serboi dwelling in Sarmatia in the 2nd century AD.
This is not what one can call a confirmation. Ptolemy and Pliny come from the same cultural environment, same age, they probably used the same sources (or maybe Ptolemy just consulted Pliny's work), just look at their mentions - they both talk about Vali and Serbi among other tribes (IIRC in this precise order).

Similarity between Serb/serboi/serbi/sorbs/srbi is quite obvious (the root srb)...
Yeah, together with the latin sorbere and the university of Sorbona (and you don't want me to get into "serv-" words). Big smile

but if say it's just a coincidence-then so be it-since u must have more competence then John Fine-you must be some world-authority on history...
The appeal to authority is a fallacy.
Even a reputable historian can be wrong, yet I'm not saying that, merely I'm asking for some substantial evidences. Reputation does not replace evidences or arguments.

Edited by Chilbudios - 08-Jun-2006 at 19:11
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 05:30
You're hopeless...LOL...i'll let the croats fight their own battles...Btw Avar and Hrvat don't sound that similar...they don't even have the same root...
               Bob Rock
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 10:26
Hah, funny! You mentioned a saying about the Avars I just read in a book. There it says that as early as 11th century there's a saying in Russia: "Izumrli kao Avari!", which is the Serbian translation, I guess. And the book is "History of the Bulgarian people" ("Историjа Бугарскога народа") of the Serbian Dr. Milan Savic, originally published in 1878. Quite an interesting read! And it's on Serbian too, so I'm practicing kin languages... Smile
Btw, he also mentions Nish among the Bulgarian cities there (with population of 16 000).
slavis-aleximus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote slavis-aleximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 21:08
Originally posted by ill_teknique

Originally posted by Sarmata

I wouldnt say that Serbs are closer to their non slav nieghbors then to Poles. Serbian and Polish have a similar language, and they both looks slavic, there traditions are similar, and the serbs od indeed come form western polend when they settled there before coming form the Caucasus probabaly. The croats settled eastern-southern poland and established a kingdom called Chrobatia centered in Krakow.

language yes

look probably no bosnians and serbs and croats look similar but they also look more similar to albanians than poles

migratory tribes never numbered in millions of member maybe in hundreds of thousands if ever so high - i.e. the barbaric german kingdoms of the west had perhaps fifty thousands franks, a hundred or so thousand goths, that is why they retained the romance languages and the latin roman culture for so long, which eventually was molded locally into unique cultures that had a common ancestry.  same with the balkans the only difference the slavs "slavicized" the inhabitants of the region, as the bulgars were slavicized even though the ruling class was of non slavic deascant, but most bulgars today would because the real bulgar tribe did not number in ten million people.  migrations do not happen is such high numbers at least not two thousand years ago it was logistically impossible to travel in such high numbers.

i am verry sorry to say this but u probably have never seen bosnian serb or croat or slovenian or macedonian in youre life. because if u have ever seen more than two yugolsavs, as we call oureselves u could clearly see that we look nothing like albanians.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote slavis-aleximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 21:23
Originally posted by Sarmata

Ther Germanic and Slavic tribes have a long history of bad blood, and I doubt they have ancestry between one another, unless ou mean for example eastern germans might because of Slavic settlements long ago, and the present Sorbian population. Slavs caleld germans "Niemcy" which means mute or dumb, meaning its a safe assumption to say they didnt understand one another.

earliest neighbours of slavic people were what we today call german tribes. slavs called them nemci. even today in serbian and croatian  language germany is called namachka. in slavic languages nem means mute or unable to speak. most likly unable to speak with other slavic people and that makes a lot of sence especialy if u take in mind that even toaday some 14 ceturies from slavic expanzion thru soutern and eastern europe almost evry slav can understand almost any slavic language.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote slavis-aleximus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 22:02
Originally posted by Monte

I'm sorry, I just realized. Things are different here.

If a person is born in Serbia, is he or she considered Serbian?
Or is it strickly a blood and ancester thing? And how far back does it have to go?

See, I'm from America and it is really different here. We all come from somewhere else but if you are born here you are considered American.
like most americans my ancesters came from many different european countries. So it is hard for us to idenetify with one blood ancestry.

Our Medeival history is your medeival history.

actualy it is not diferent at all. once upon a time when all southern slavs livet in one big happy country we all had a red passport wich was most persious of all of the passports of the world on the black markrets around the globe. and if u open the front page of that passport u could see that in it were writen youre name last name citizenship and youre nationality. so it was up to u what u will  write as youre nationality. serb croat macedonian albanian eskimo or even a penguin or jedi knight. as long u pay youre taxes and make no trouble to the police nobody cared.
    but every body wrote something as theirs nationality. they wrote as theirs nationality what they feel theay are, serb croat macedonian turk albanian exatcly what theay are. not because where they were born but what they are.

Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 04:57
I have to make my point here. Many history records say that the area setlled by Croats and Serbs was laied to waste by the Avars, so there wouldn't be that many natives around. Also, there are numerous archeological evidence linking Croats to south Ukraine, especially the give-away red and white squares. Now south Ukraine is way too far south to be speaking of a slavic nation! Also, all archeologic evidence from the 7. century sugests Croats were horsemen. This is very unusual for Slavs, who were mainly footsoldiers. Therefore I'm inclined to believe that asimilation into slavic ethnicity happened after Croats settled in the Balkans.   
tsar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Suspended

Quote tsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 08:13
I dont get it why u people always change the subject and never stay on the right topic, is this a topic about serbian medieval history or a topic on genetics?
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 16:53
Many history records say that the area setlled by Croats and Serbs was laied to waste by the Avars, so there wouldn't be that many natives around.

lol Can you imagine an Avar on a horseback climbing on the mountains of Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia(where many people took refuge)? Why would they do such a thing, when all the good stuff were in the valleys? Besides, all you need is little anthropology to notice that we're different from other Slavs.Just look at these Montenegrins-phenotypes of Montenegro haven't changed much in the last 2000 years:

http://www.sergejcetkovic.com/Sergej%20prva%204.jpg

http://www.balkanmedia.com/m2/sl/1958-1-4.jpg

http://www.newizv.ru/images/photos/big/20050725212141_1-marovic.jpg

Similar types are found all over ex-Yu...

Sorry for going off-topic... just wanted to reply...

Edited by Socrates - 18-Sep-2006 at 17:04
               Bob Rock
SOKON MEJIA View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SOKON   MEJIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 20:54
 I  got  question  about  Stefan  Dusan  did  he  ever  overtaken   Odrin ?
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 03:31
Originally posted by SOKON MEJIA

I  got  question  about  Stefan  Dusan  did  he  ever  overtaken   Odrin ?

Odrin=Adrianopolis=Edirne

No. Never.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>