Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOur founding fathers were Christians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our founding fathers were Christians?
    Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 21:46

It is written that God created us in his image. Such other things as the Lord created the sky and seen that it was good. This meaning he has human-like emotions, being able to recognize his work is good. God didnt give us such things as violence adn greed, we chose this for ourselves(Adam & Eve).

Then he didn't create us in his image, unless he has a violent side. If a god is supposed to be a perfect being, and makes things to the way he wanted, he could have set it so we have freedom of choice without ever having to think of violence. He supposedly created life which is so difficult for it to come about naturally, why couldn't he program us without violence. We would never know the difference.

-Well, he sent Jesus down didnt he? Also you sound just like everybody else who points the finger "Why doesnt God help us stop fighting wars, etc, etc.." Well have you ever asked yourself what YOu can do? heck, what we all can do to make this country a better place. he did infact give us a brain. This is mankinds doing, youve got to want to help yourself. And after all why should he help people that dont believe in him or give him the praise and glory he deserves? In short, we do it to ourselves.

For all I know Jesus could have been just a crazy lunatic that gained a following. We had a guy in Waco Texas who said he was the son of god and a bunch of people died for him, isn't there currently some guy who says he is Jesus reincarnated and has a huge following? A human mind can be manipulated easily. So a few followers kept spreading the word about some man who claimed to be the son of god, then it reached Rome. In Rome you can thank Nero for killing the Christians, because of those Christians who would not give up their faith, it made Romans believe that the religion had something special about it compared to their own.

Obviously it started to gain momentum in Rome and later the Byzantines and then started to force the religion on everyone that were in their lands. So what I'm saying is Jesus could have been just a maniac Jew who said he was gods sun, 50 years after his death people started writing about him and making stories which became the bible, and slowly spread until it became the official Religion of Rome then in which it grew.

To answer about the war part, basicly the same answer can go with my first paragraph.

-Ok, your gonna have to explain this one to me? 

You have Catholics, Protestants, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, Evangelical, Anabaptist, etc... Either have changes from one another. They all just branch off each other, the way I see it is when you change the teaching, rituals, and the way to worship, or whatever else that they can change they are essentially worship a different god, it can't be the same god because he and his son supposedly laid the original rules down thousands of years ago. So do you just pick a church and hope it's the one way ticket to heaven and not hell, or are all the different christian sects(demoniations) all going to a different heaven?

You would think a god would a appear to just set a few things straight instead of leaving everyone in confusion or let them put faith into a idea against his that will send them to hell.

Sorry about me going on and on, but it's one of my favorite subjects to argue on.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 22:42

Oh, your not ramblin' on. I too enjoy these types of discussions.

Ok, firstly one could say that God is violent, or better put has a mighty "rath". Just as it says in the Bible you should fear God. "Fear" not so much meaning be afraid of him but to more orless acknowledge his power. Remember the great flood and Noah, God destroyed the whole world because they strayed too far and the only worthy one left was Noah. Lets talk about violence for a moment. Before God created life there was a war in heaven in which Lucifer and 1/3 of the angels in heaven were cast down. So, is this not considered a type of violence. Lets take a look at what your above statement says,

"he could have set it so we have freedom of choice without ever having to think of violence."

Now, since when has freedom of choice and minipulation the same thing.

Why cant we just not be violent, he has given us the choice. Again pointing the finger.

On to Jesus. Since you say that there could be anyone out there that is the son of God then show me written references for anyone that has done the things Jesus has done. Anyone, anyone at all since the beginning of time. Something that is as credible as the Bible, not Roman or Greek mythology. The Bible has references to historical events that have have been accounted by historians and the like....When has these peolpe you speak of ever been crucified and beaten and all the while not retaliating and even going as far as to pray, while being beaten, for his torturers to be forgiven for they know not what they do. Who has returned on the third day after his crucifixtion in the flesh? Who else has so many followers, I know you are an analytical guy but on occasion you can use common sense.

On to christians....I dont understand your arguement? All christians worship one God. He does have many names but is the same almighty spirit. As any christian will tell you the way to heaven(the one heaven) is thru Jesus, he is the way, the truth, and the life.

Also God doesnt want a bunch of drones worshiping him as if we are some blind Nazi-type of people. We have freedom of choice, you should believe in something because you choose to thus you should have some conviction in your beliefs.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 07:41
Originally posted by arch.buff

"Who is to say he would even have human emotions, like love and care, if he did I think he would interact with us more. If anything I think a super natural being would have created us just for enterainment, he seems to have given us alot of violence and greed in our nature."

-It is written that God created us in his image. Such other things as the Lord created the sky and seen that it was good. This meaning he has human-like emotions, being able to recognize his work is good. God didnt give us such things as violence adn greed, we chose this for ourselves(Adam & Eve).

Yeah, but God gave us the choice. God invented evil.

"You'd think if he loved us he would cure diseases, make the world alittle better. Or maybe even stop a few conflicts, if his love for us is so great it should go beyond our own emotion and the pain of seeing one of us hurt should make him intervene."

-Well, he sent Jesus down didnt he?

Only to correct his own mistake. He could have saved a whole lot of trouble just making people good in the first place.

Also you sound just like everybody else who points the finger "Why doesnt God help us stop fighting wars, etc, etc.." Well have you ever asked yourself what YOu can do?

Yep. But it's not much. Now God could really do a good job, if he wanted to. He obviously doesn't. So it's all his fault. After all, he's the creator isn't he?

At least the Zoroastrians can claim their god Ahura Mazda is good and the evil is only due to Ahriman, the wicked one. The Christian god doesn't even have that excuse.

Why can't God ask HIMSELF what HE could do? Can't be bothered? Doesn't care?

heck, what we all can do to make this country a better place. he did infact give us a brain. This is mankinds doing, youve got to want to help yourself. And after all why should he help people that dont believe in him or give him the praise and glory he deserves?

Charity? Or doesn't God have to practise what he preaches? You're saying he's a hypocrite too?

In short, we do it to ourselves.

Because god made us that way.

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 13:01

Ok, firstly one could say that God is violent, or better put has a mighty "rath". Just as it says in the Bible you should fear God. "Fear" not so much meaning be afraid of him but to more orless acknowledge his power. Remember the great flood and Noah, God destroyed the whole world because they strayed too far and the only worthy one left was Noah. Lets talk about violence for a moment. Before God created life there was a war in heaven in which Lucifer and 1/3 of the angels in heaven were cast down. So, is this not considered a type of violence. Lets take a look at what your above statement says,

They actually have archeological evidence saying that Noah was based on a story of a merchant and his family whose land was flooded and his family and some workers tied alot of rafts together to carry his merchandise, which were animals also. So see a raft this size in those days was unseen. It is supposed to have happened in Mespotamia where there is actual evidence of a great flood between the two rivers the Tigris and the Euphrates.

There was also a Mesopatamian religion that influenced all three of the Abrahamic Religions which many of the myths can be traced back to, like Adam and Eve's myth is almost the same only diffence is they have different names, and there is the myth about Noah that all three religions have which the Mesopatanians seem to have written also. The stories come thousands of years before Christianity and even before Judaism.

Also by dating when this world flood happened which is said to have happened 1300 years before Solomon built his temple, and the earliest temple being built at about 950 bc, then that put it at about 2250 bc which Egyptians and Mesopatamians were keeping record before this and have no such records to this. Also alot of civilization wouldn't have come about if it happened in this time, it would take thousands of years for repopulation to happen in this timeline. Romans would probably be on the rise right now, and that might be way to early.Now that I think about it, I believe the bible said that earth was created by god about 6000 years ago. That would be to short of a time frame for two people to populate the earth. There were more Homo Sapiens 25,000 years ago then there were Noah's family, yeat in Roman times the Human population was even close to a billion people, I think it was around 50 million people world wide. In other words their is no way we can be this advanced and have a population this large if Noah's ark is true, or even adam and eve being true.

So maybe alot of the old testiment where god was evil comes from the Mesopatamians and how their gods were evil at some points. And Noah's Ark and probably many other stories in the bible come from fisherman tales. In other words, a fishermen says he caught a 8 foot fish over exagerating it and causing myth when in reality it was a 5 inch fish.

You might like this site. http://www.amarogue.com/noah.html It's a nice site, and even if you don't believe in what it has to say it's a good read.

On to Jesus. Since you say that there could be anyone out there that is the son of God then show me written references for anyone that has done the things Jesus has done. Anyone, anyone at all since the beginning of time. Something that is as credible as the Bible, not Roman or Greek mythology. The Bible has references to historical events that have have been accounted by historians and the like....When has these peolpe you speak of ever been crucified and beaten and all the while not retaliating and even going as far as to pray, while being beaten, for his torturers to be forgiven for they know not what they do. Who has returned on the third day after his crucifixtion in the flesh? Who else has so many followers, I know you are an analytical guy but on occasion you can use common sense.

Common sense tells me if you belive in some who died and came back then your crazy, that's common sense. To me the kind of things Jesus did with walking on water, turning water into wine, healing a blind man's eye's, I think it was said he even braught a dead person back to life, those all sound like a Greek Demi god to me, myth and fairy tale.

Alos the Greeks and Romans liked good stories, but it's aid the Romans never believed in the stories as true but as lessons sent by the gods. Also not all religions were as extravagent with their stories like the Greeks.

Alot of stories in Religions recorded history, it's said that history makes the best stories. The thing is that they are passed down by oral tradition before being written down. People leave out words and certain parts to make the story interesting or to fit the image they want. This can be said about Jesus and his meracles. After all the parts about Jesus were written 50-100 years after he died, that means the writers went by oral traditions of the stories and probably didn't have any eye-witnesses to speak for, they were most likely dead, or even if the chance they were alive odds are you probably wouldn't find them, it's kind of hard to find someone without information or a way to call them. To further that the human brain has a huge imagination, it's hard for the police to go on eye witness accounts after a year or so from the crime because people start saying they saw things differently. So 50 years is definitly a long time.

On to christians....I dont understand your arguement? All christians worship one God. He does have many names but is the same almighty spirit. As any christian will tell you the way to heaven(the one heaven) is thru Jesus, he is the way, the truth, and the life.

They all believe in Jesus. But many change rituals and what is considered sin and what isn't. some even say their is a set limit of people allowed in heaven and only the most pure will be allowed in. To me when you change things your not talking about the same religion and same god, to me they only related but totally different. Some Evangelicals hate Catholics, Baptist and a few other Christian sects and say they are anti-christian, so there's even conflict within Christioanity on who is right and who is wrong.

Also God doesnt want a bunch of drones worshiping him as if we are some blind Nazi-type of people. We have freedom of choice, you should believe in something because you choose to thus you should have some conviction in your beliefs.

If so then why were there so many strict traditions where you had to goto church every sunday, and you couldn't eat meat on friday's, etc. It seems when people didn't like something they would just change it, so does that mean everyone is going to hell, or does god just not care about rules he set. Christianity is nothing like it used to be thousands of years ago, so how could people be following what god says if they just change it to fit their own needs and wants. God isn't like a Nazi because people don't want him to be, I think god serves Christians then the other way around.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 14:11

"Yeah, but God gave us the choice. God invented evil."

-Yep you're right, God did give us the freedom of chose but you would infact be wrong about God creating evil. There was no such thing as evil until Lucifer(the devil) turned. 

"Only to correct his own mistake. He could have saved a whole lot of trouble just making people good in the first place."

-First off God doesnt make mistakes and WE chose to defy him and thus making us the way we are today.(Adam & Eve)

"Yep. But it's not much. Now God could really do a good job, if he wanted to. He obviously doesn't. So it's all his fault. After all, he's the creator isn't he?

At least the Zoroastrians can claim their god Ahura Mazda is good and the evil is only due to Ahriman, the wicked one. The Christian god doesn't even have that excuse.

Why can't God ask HIMSELF what HE could do? Can't be bothered? Doesn't care?"

-Now were really playing the blame game, arent we? You say its not much? Well keep that mentality and so will the rest of the world and well stay on the same path. Listen, WE choose your own path and our actions from day-to-day, right? If you do wrong are you gonna blame God like your doing now? No youre not, if you hold up a convience store and end up killing someone are you gonna say "God, why did you allow me to do this!" IF this is your train of thought then you are definately a weak person in my book.

Quote:

"Because god made us that way."

-No, he gave us the chose and you choose to be the way you are.

"There was also a Mesopatamian religion that influenced all three of the Abrahamic Religions which many of the myths can be traced back to, like Adam and Eve's myth is almost the same only diffence is they have different names, and there is the myth about Noah that all three religions have which the Mesopatanians seem to have written also. The stories come thousands of years before Christianity and even before Judaism.

Also by dating when this world flood happened which is said to have happened 1300 years before Solomon built his temple, and the earliest temple being built at about 950 bc, then that put it at about 2250 bc which Egyptians and Mesopatamians were keeping record before this and have no such records to this. Also alot of civilization wouldn't have come about if it happened in this time, it would take thousands of years for repopulation to happen in this timeline. Romans would probably be on the rise right now, and that might be way to early.Now that I think about it, I believe the bible said that earth was created by god about 6000 years ago. That would be to short of a time frame for two people to populate the earth. There were more Homo Sapiens 25,000 years ago then there were Noah's family, yeat in Roman times the Human population was even close to a billion people, I think it was around 50 million people world wide. In other words their is no way we can be this advanced and have a population this large if Noah's ark is true, or even adam and eve being true."

-Ok, youre gonna have to excuse me but this is a bunch of nonsense. The Bible never said that the Earth was created 6000 years ago and no there hasnt been anyone to disprove Noah and his arch.

"Common sense tells me if you belive in some who died and came back then your crazy, that's common sense. To me the kind of things Jesus did with walking on water, turning water into wine, healing a blind man's eye's, I think it was said he even braught a dead person back to life, those all sound like a Greek Demi god to me, myth and fairy tale."

-Because it is beyond your scientific ways. If your looking for concrete evidence that he was the son of God then youre probably gonna end up being disappointed. Listen, there are things in my life that have happened that make my faith and beliefs concrete, something you wouldnt understand but something I hope you one day do.  You cant compare what Jesus did to Greek and Roman mythology. Everyone accepts Greco-Roman myth today as that, mythology. Jesus is a totally different story.

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 15:58

-Ok, youre gonna have to excuse me but this is a bunch of nonsense. The Bible never said that the Earth was created 6000 years ago and no there hasnt been anyone to disprove Noah and his arch.

Here pit this in google and click search- bible says the world started 6000 years ago

You will have pages upon pages to look through, but you will get the idea.

Well there is one way to argue against Noah and his ark. It had to be built around 2050, yet while boats were made their the biggest bot we have at that time was 143 feet, by 20 feet wide. The technology to hold so many animals and to make a ship that large did not exist yet. And this is a time when major break throughs were happening for boats.

Also if he carried two of every animal, did he let a few off in Australia and the America's where they weren't found in other parts of the world? You tell me not to give any example's of Greek and Roman relgious stories before, yet alot of the bible has it's own myth's and stories that are impossible for humans.

-Because it is beyond your scientific ways. If your looking for concrete evidence that he was the son of God then youre probably gonna end up being disappointed. Listen, there are things in my life that have happened that make my faith and beliefs concrete, something you wouldnt understand but something I hope you one day do.  You cant compare what Jesus did to Greek and Roman mythology. Everyone accepts Greco-Roman myth today as that, mythology. Jesus is a totally different story.

We were talking about common sense, not science. Common sense says if something is dead it isn't coming back. Common sense says if I put my hand in a fire I'm going to be hurting.

They except is as myth now because our ancestors were forced to. Honestly I wish I could believe in a religion, it makes death alot easier and it gives sense of security in that you know someone is watching over you. I have searched for another religion, one that I could agree with and it doesn't work for me. I can't believe in anything that sounds too mythological. I mean even in Christianity the Saints also have their own magic that you can prey to them to help you. Someone even posted picutres on these forums of two Saints that had animal heads, just like the Egyptian gods.

Christianity isn't taken serious anymore by people. Like I said earlier people now eat meat on fridays, people often will skip church on sundays, people have sex before marriage, it used to be if you did these things you were on a one way trip to hell. Now people convenantly changed the religion to their own needs and still ask for help from God and the saints, so whose servering who?

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 17:48

"Christianity isn't taken serious anymore by people"

-Tell that to the billions of christians today. I'll be straight with you cuz i dont want to mislead you about what type of person i am. I am not married nor have I ever been, but yet I have had strong relationships with women in which we have had sex. I have had my fair share of drunken stories, I've been in a hand full of fights. Now having said that, that doesnt mean that I am going to hell. We all make mistakes and youre gonna sin everyday of your life. It is just how are you gonna deal with that? Are you gonna repent for your sins? Or are you even sorry for commiting them? I'm not trying to preach to anyone nor am I trying to convert anyone, Lord knows i have troubles of my own I was just trying to get the point across that people believe a certain way usually because they have a reason to....there are certainly things that i have encountered that have made my believe in spirits, both good and bad. For instance this story I'm about to tell you has happened about five different times in my entire life. I will be sleeping in my bed and wake up in the middle of the night, always with my T.V. left on, and I will some what wake up a lil so I lay there and watch T.V. when I get this feeling of some presence, then my ears begin to ring(this all happens in a matter of seconds) then Im frozen cant move, cant speak, nothing. It ususally stay like that for about 5-10 seconds then it leaves. Now, what could this be? I guess you could argue that its some type of bodily misfunction, but have it happen to you and its quite clear. You can sense evil cuz this feeling comes over me right before the ordeal takes place. The funny thing is that its always the same, I've just woken up and the T.V.'s on and I cant go back to bed. Its also happened to my friend but he has said that has seen things, something thats never happened to me. His girlfriend has even told sometimes before they go to bed she will witness this happen to him and she will then truy and wake him out of it, she seemed pretty freaked out herself just telling me about it. This is gonna pretty cliche but the same friend said that a silouette walk very slowly towards him and held him down for some time. i dont know man, there is some pretty scary things out there. Did you know demons can take the form of angels, the way you would tell the difference if one were to reveal themself to you is that the real angel of God would praise God with their first words, whereas demons will not do this.

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 18:36

I have had my fair share of drunken stories, I've been in a hand full of fights. Now having said that, that doesnt mean that I am going to hell. We all make mistakes and youre gonna sin everyday of your life. It is just how are you gonna deal with that? Are you gonna repent for your sins?

See that is exactly what I'm talking about. A few hundred years ago you couldn't get away with that in Christianity, you were going to hell because of any sin that was considered very bad like pre-marriage sex.

Evangelicals are worse, you could kill someone, but as long as you believe in God your going to heaven. If I remember right you don't even have to say your sorry. But if you never had done anything wrong and help a thousand people who needed your help and you don't recognize god then your going to hell, seems kind of screwed up.

Another thing that has changed in Christianity is if you killed anyone for whatever reason you were going to hell. But today a person believes he can join the military and kill someone and not goto hell because he was fighting for his country. See how people change religion to conveniantly fit their own wants?

Sometimes I always wondered if there is a god, why would he even want to be known, I mean he doesn't even do anything to show he exists. So maybe he or even them would want us to live life for what it is. Then I wonder if their is a supreme evil, maybe it controls or wants people to join organized religions. The reason I came to that is because oraganized religion seperates people, it's easy for someone to become powerful using it, it can be used to easilly persecute a certain people, and has caused wars and thousands to die in the name of a said religion. Also it's only the religious I hear that have ever been effected by a evil spirit, or atleast someone who says they believe in God.

Like I said though it would make life easier to believe I have some where to go after death or that someone is watching over me, but I can't put myself to it. I used to be a believer, but when things don't make sense, or that so many things have changed over time it just seems to fake.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 19:27

"Also it's only the religious I hear that have ever been effected by a evil spirit, or atleast someone who says they believe in God."

Ok, dont take literally what Im about to say to you, or anyone else because i dont know where you will go after you die. So my following words arent directed towards anyone in particular.

Now, having said that.....there is a war going on right now as we speak. A war between good and evil(God and the devil) for yours and everyone elses soul here on earth.{sounds like the beginning of an intense movie, huh }Well back to business, Either youve accepted Jesus or you havent. Either youre going to heaven or youre going to hell. Nobody really knows where they are going after they die, all we can do is follow our faith and hope the Lord has mercy on us. Now back to the war....Its funny you brought that point up about only believers having evil spiritual experiences, I would have to agree with you. The reason I believe this is is because if one hasnt accepted Jesus then why would the devil even bother you? He's already happy with the place youre at just so long as you havent accepted jesus, in a sense..he's already got you.  

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 20:17
Well good point I guess. But all the devil would be doing is reinforcing your belief, liveing for thousands of years I think the devil could come up with a better way, like giving you bad thoughts through your subconcious. Attacking someone directly never forces anyone over because it reassures them what it will be like if they did. So if thats the case gods probably winning because the devil is a dim wit.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 20:35

Oh he does, truth is i probably dont go a whole day without having at least one sexual thought. After all I am a young man in his early 20's so it shouldnt be too hard for the devil.

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 20:41
Sexual thoughts are normal, another reason why I don't like religions lol. It's already proven that it's all hormones and it's how our species survive. I don't maybe the devil turns on the hormones but from what I believe it's all from evolution. I guess males makes help the devil also because our sweat turns on women's hormones. 
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 21:18
Oh sure, thats how we reproduce....thru sex. But such things as the Bible saying 'Thou shall not lust'. i mean to me it seems impossible to not think of sexual thoughts and thats maybe the point, I mean think about it. God wants us to lead a non-sinfull life but we will inevitably sin everyday and we will never reach perfection? seems silly huh? Well, I think its all in the way you handle yourself and you striving as a sinful human, not to sin.  
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 07:14

"Yeah, but God gave us the choice. God invented evil."

-Yep you're right, God did give us the freedom of chose but you would infact be wrong about God creating evil. There was no such thing as evil until Lucifer(the devil) turned. 

How you can write 'in fact' I have no idea. There are no 'facts' involved here.

And God created everything so he's responsible for the whole shebang. Including the devil.

He can't get out of it that easily.

"Only to correct his own mistake. He could have saved a whole lot of trouble just making people good in the first place."

-First off God doesnt make mistakes and WE chose to defy him and thus making us the way we are today.(Adam & Eve)

That's the mistake right there. He created us wrong.

"Yep. But it's not much. Now God could really do a good job, if he wanted to. He obviously doesn't. So it's all his fault. After all, he's the creator isn't he?

Why can't God ask HIMSELF what HE could do? Can't be bothered? Doesn't care?"

-Now were really playing the blame game, arent we?

Yep. But you started it as I recall, saying it was all our fault.

You say its not much? Well keep that mentality and so will the rest of the world and well stay on the same path. Listen, WE choose your own path and our actions from day-to-day, right?

It's arguable, but immaterial. God determined what we would do. (Or, if he didn't he could have done - a sin of omission if not commission.)

If you do wrong are you gonna blame God like your doing now? No youre not, if you hold up a convience store and end up killing someone are you gonna say "God, why did you allow me to do this!" IF this is your train of thought then you are definately a weak person in my book.

I take the responsibility for my own actions. It's God who's trying to wriggle out of his - or, to be fair, you who are trying to excuse him or the wrongs he commits. (For all i know, God himself is quite ready to take the blame - you're hardly his spokesman.)

Quote:

"Because god made us that way."

-No, he gave us the chose and you choose to be the way you are.

Again, you have it right there. He gave us the choice. He created the choice. If the choice was between good and evil, he created both of them.

That's his fault.

But I agree that I have a responsibility, as far as I can, to make up for God's failings.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 07:17

"Christianity isn't taken serious anymore by people"

-Tell that to the billions of christians today.

Most of whom don't take it seriously. Of course they like to claim that they do but they still save for their old age, hit back when they're attacked, and pass by on the other side of the road.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 17:50

"But I agree that I have a responsibility, as far as I can, to make up for God's failings."

-I guess we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 14:03
Alright I haven't read any of the recent nonsense but I have one statement to make.  Intelligent Design and Creationism are not theories and it is disingenuous to call them such.  A theory possess readily testable conclusions and has some basis in fact.  The afore mentioned belief are based entirely off assumption, speculation and one hell of a logical fallacy- Argument from Ignorance.  As such they can barely be classified as a hypothesis and a poor one at that.
Idanthyrus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 19:09

Back on topic

John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin were well know deists. James Madison was a unitarian, and "In god we trust" has only been on American coinage off and on since 1864 when it first appeared. Interestingly enough, Theodore Roosevelt ordered the motto removed from new coins produced during his tenure as President, with the opinion that placing God's name on coinage was sacrilege. He was overruled by Congress however.

PINOCHET View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 02:49
The history of the founding of the United States of America is
important for our understanding of who we are, and why, in the
providence of God, this nation came into being. But where do we look
for this understanding? Many look to the time of our Declaration of
Independence from England and the constitutional settlement of 1787.
The men who declared independence, guided the nation through the war
with England, and drafted and ratified the Constitution of the United
States of America are often referred to as our "Founding Fathers"; the
period of time in which these men lived and these momentous events
took place as the founding era of our country.

As important as the Declaration of Independence, the War for
Independence, and the Constitution were, and as important as men such
as Adams, Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, and Madison were, we should
not look here for the foundations of the United States. No, the actual
foundations of this nation were laid in the colonial period. It was
during that era that the intentions of God for America were made
explicit; it was during that period that the true moral, legal, and
spiritual foundation of the nation were laid; it was then that our
forefathers defined America and bound themselves and their descendents
to the terms of that definition. Therefore, if we are to understand
our roots as a people, we should not look to 1776-1787 or the founding
fathers of that era but to the colonial period and the founding
fathers of that era.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 18:04

it was during that period that the true moral, legal, and
spiritual foundation of the nation were laid; it was then that our
forefathers defined America and bound themselves and their descendents
to the terms of that definition. Therefore, if we are to understand
our roots as a people, we should not look to 1776-1787 or the founding
fathers of that era but to the colonial period and the founding
fathers of that era.

Yes of course as it was the Massachusetts Bay Colony's obscene Theocratic Tyranny which proved the necessity of removing religous elements from the federal government.  Oh and the legal foundations of the United States is British Common Law, not the lunatic rantings of some fringe Christian group of fanatics.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>