Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finn origins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Fennica View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fennica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finn origins
    Posted: 04-May-2009 at 11:51
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Any study that claims to determine any "first European" is bullshit. All alarm bells should be ringing when you see such a statement.
Aha. Right.
The DNA studies should then be left out, and continue to wonder where the Finnos came from, because we are not Indo-Europeans, nor are we Eastern kin.

The Shamanistic past of Finnos also points towards the Europeans of Ice-Age era. The striking similarities of stone-age pictures in the Finnish rocks and those of earlier Central Europe also suggests that.

I don't atatck you outright, but ask mearly to point out the flaws in the recent studies.

-Reason for fiery response is that I have clashed with Swedes who hold adamant opinion that Finns were primitive hunter-gatherers in the Viking-era.
Living in Jurtas and having no social, economical, religious or govermental institutions and indeed having no advances whatsoever.
That Swedes brought us civilization, founded cities and towns and thus, we should be ever grateful of the 600 years of exploitation.
(because that is what it was. -Choose to question that, and I'll provide some pointers.)

I truly do hope that those Swedes having that opinion of the late 19th century, are in the minorities.
En uneksi.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2009 at 13:38
I'll have a look, if you give me the links: I'm generally quite sceptical and antagonistic towards genetical studies, because they tend to attract nationalists and similar making ludicrous claims ("first this, first that"). 

Originally posted by Fennica

-Reason for fiery response is that I have clashed with Swedes who hold adamant opinion that Finns were primitive hunter-gatherers in the Viking-era.

They quite obviously weren't. The Scandinavians were hardly very advanced in that era either, but were civilized by technological imports from the continent, that also spread to Finland.

[/QUOTE]
That Swedes brought us civilization, founded cities and towns and thus, we should be ever grateful of the 600 years of exploitation.
(because that is what it was. -Choose to question that, and I'll provide some pointers.)

I truly do hope that those Swedes having that opinion of the late 19th century, are in the minorities.
[/QUOTE]
The Swedish kings didn't "exploit" the Finns anymore than they exploited the Swedes. The Finnish provinces had the same legal status as the "proper Swedish" provinces of the country, so it's not a question of Swedes ruling Finns; it's a question of noblemen ruling farmers. The Finns at the time didn't see themselves as ruled by foreigners either: they did consider it to be one country, compare eg to the other conquered provinces today (Jämtland, Halland, Blekinge, etc). The whole Finn vs Swede business in the 14th-19th centuries is a pure anachronism, invented by historiographers.

To deny that it had any positive side-effects is as far from the truth as claiming it was only positive. What if scenarios, eg, "what would have happened if the Swedes didn't invade?", I find quite pointless.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 04-May-2009 at 13:40
Torsten Stålhandske View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2009 at 18:19
I have to agree with Styrbiorn. Claims of "Finns oppressed by the Swedes" sprung mainly from the internal difficulties between the Finnish speaking reformers and Swedish speaking bourgeoise during late 1800' and early 1900's. Combatants also known as Fennomans and Svekomans (-man ending has nothing to do with men, but with mania).

There was not even clear linguistical boundaries between the two as many of the prominent Fennomans were infact from Swedish speaking background and many ardent Svekomans from Finnish speaking families. It was political struglle for the direction of Grand Duchy of Finland and her relation to St. Petersburg (then capital of Czaristic Russia).

Fennomans generally saw Russian Empire in rather positive light and wanted to co-operate in the context of Russian Empire. This led to Czaristic policies which were positive for the Fennoman ideals (until period of russification which then led into rebellious attitudes amongst the Fennomans too). Svekomans whom were more Sweden-minded and even tought that Finland should return to community with Sweden. Svekomans were more conservative and wanted to hold on to "old Swedish" power structures (capital in Turku, only Swedish as legislative language etc), as they saw that as only way to escape russification.

As Fennomans played the ball with the Czar they obviously got most of their initiatives through. There was also an period of major internal development (railroads, general infratructure) which led to positive outcome. Also the markets of Russian Empire turned out to be prosperous for Finns.

All this together led the Svekomans to very bitter situation, as they saw that the Fennoman reformist were bit byt bit taking down the "old powerstructure" and replaced it by new one. They saw that the russification was inevitable. Svekoman hardliners started to distance themselves from fellow Finns and created new theories how Finns are "mongoloids of inferior race" and "how swedes brought the civilisation to wild Finns" etc. They even created an phony ethnicity "Östsvenskar", east-swedes, whom were responsible for all the good things in Finland, negative things were attributed to "mongoloid finns whom are like russians anyway". In this mindmap Finns belong to culture of Central Asian Turanic peoples and are not part of the European culture at all. The General situation has to keep in mind, as these people were very pro-Sweden, and Russia, if anything has allways seen as the other, the enemy, the alien. Idea that the reformist Fennomans dared to play ball with that eastern monster certainly made them equally evil!

This kind of talk were ofcource fighting words which did not pass under the radar. Fennoman "party" started to make fabricated claims how Swedes oppressed Finns for hundreds of years and now Finns are finally free of the Swedish yoke. It was direct response to Svekoman provocations.

Fennoman side came out victiorious from that internal strugle, after Finlands independence. During the very nationalistic period of young Republic of Finland these Fennoman claims staid as part of the "national history". Svekoman stories of "Finnish mongoloids" staid too on some international forums, especially amongst the "Indo-Germanish Aryan" voodoo science of 1930's.

Modern Finnish history writing has very pragmatic and in general positive view about the Osterland-period. However, many people in Finland feel that we are a bit written off from the history books because it's allways the Swedes. Swedish army fought victorious on the battle X (losses you can keep) and Swedes build that castle or bridge or whatever ;) 

What comes to subject about origins of Finns, that is very simple. Finns have dual origins, Northeast European and Northwest European. This can be seen clearly from physical anthropology and Y-chromosal data. According to Prof. Markku Niskanen, Oulu university, typical Finnish crania is between West European and East European. Between Norwegians and Russians. How very surprising. From DNA evidence Finns share most of their markers with people of East Baltic (Northwest Russians, Estonians, Latvians) and on the other hand with Scandinavians (especially with Swedes). Language is evidently of East Baltic origins as most of eastern shore of Baltic Sea was Finnic speaking not very long ago, and largely still is.

Edited by Torsten Stålhandske - 04-May-2009 at 18:24
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 05:43
Originally posted by Jams

Most of them do, true. But those "republics", despite their names, don't always fit perfectly with the ethnicity they're named after. It's the Russians who named the republics, and sometimes they were a bit arbitrary with the borders, back in the day.Cool

Yes, Komi live on the Eastern part of Urals, but it's not their "native territory" and they started to settle their largely together with the Russian colonists in the 18th century.
Σαυρομάτης
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 08:22
Thanks for the post, I learned some new things there.

Originally posted by Torsten Stålhandske

Modern Finnish history writing has very pragmatic and in general positive view about the Osterland-period. However, many people in Finland feel that we are a bit written off from the history books because it's allways the Swedes. Swedish army fought victorious on the battle X (losses you can keep) and Swedes build that castle or bridge or whatever ;) 

Well, at least in Swedish history writing, Finland and the Finns seem to be considered included in the terms Sweden, Swedish army, etc, so it's really not a case of neglect. I'm sure you know this, but I'm just stressing the point many seem to miss: Finland, or rather the Finnish provinces of which proper Finland was one, were on the same "level" as the Swedish provinces. Always writing them out separately while omitting those west of the sea makes no sense from a Swedish point of view. Sweden proper itself consisted of many lands, whose populations not always considered themselves especially Swedish - at least not in first the centuries of the time as a single state.
I fully understand your point though, which is the logical one if you have the modern point of view that Sweden and Finland was two natural and distinctive units - something that wasn't that natural 3-400 years ago.

Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 09:33

I fully understand your point though, which is the logical one if you have the modern point of view that Sweden and Finland was two natural and distinctive units - something that wasn't that natural 3-400 years ago.

I agree. We should avoid modernisms at every cost when studying the history. Finland as separate entity is 200 years old (and in certain way so is the modern Sweden too).  Projecting modern nationstates to history is not only wrong but also often very misleading. You allready pointed out it was nobility ruling over peasents (church ruling over believers, generals ruling over cannon fodder etc), our modern nations and ethnicities have really very little to do with reality of those days. Finnish idea is not older than the Fennoman movement, as they put it: Swedes we are no more, Russians we will not become, so let us be Finns. Prior those magic words were said there was Finns, Tavastians, Karelians, Ostrobothnians and so on. All inside the concept of loyal servant of the crown. For King and Country!

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 16:20
Sorry, but from the point of view of an outsider this kind of assesment is very pro-Swedish biased.
Finns couldn't be considered equal to Swedes proper until they totally assimilated into Swedish language and culture. It was Swedish that was an official language of administration and government in Finland, not Finnish. This is already a form of discrimination per se.

And although it's true that perhaps Finnish commoners had the same problems that Swedish commoners faced in Sweden proper; but that was added by the discrimination of the Finnish  culture and language and its replacement with those of Sweden. One may argue that it was not that important. But any Finn can justifiably disagree with that kind of opinion.
Σαυρομάτης
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 16:34
Originally posted by Sarmat

Sorry, but from the point of view of an outsider this kind of assesment is very pro-Swedish biased.
Finns couldn't be considered equal to Swedes proper until they totally assimilated into Swedish language and culture. It was Swedish that was an official language of administration and government in Finland, not Finnish. This is already a form of discrimination per se.

And although it's true that perhaps Finnish commoners had the same problems that Swedish commoners faced in Sweden proper; but that was added by the discrimination of the Finnish  culture and language and its replacement with those of Sweden. One may argue that it was not that important. But any Finn can justifiably disagree with that kind of opinion.

There was no standard "Swedish"; except the core around lake Mälaren every province had quite a separate dialect - add to that the Danish and Norwegian-speaking peoples. Sure, not as different as Finnish is. Further, the leaders were supposed to speak Latin, German or French depending on era, and many official documents are in these languages, not Swedish. There was no concious attempt to erase Finnish, in fact, after the loss of Finland, there was even an attempt to create an entirely Finnish-speaking province in Sweden proper (lots of Finns had been given free land there). It wasn't until the end of the 19th century when Finnish - and other languages, including dialects of Swedish - were tried to be erased in a furry of national romanticism. 

But yes, Finns were naturally at a disadvantage, since a Finn who sought to make a name in the state system were required to learn Swedish. I don't see how this is different from other multicultural societies though, eg modern day Russia -or Sweden for that matter.  There's always a dominant language.
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2009 at 20:35

Originally posted by Jams

Most of them do, true. But those "republics", despite their names, don't always fit perfectly with the ethnicity they're named after. It's the Russians who named the republics, and sometimes they were a bit arbitrary with the borders, back in the day.Cool

Yes, Komi live on the Eastern part of Urals, but it's not their "native territory" and they started to settle their largely together with the Russian colonists in the 18th century.

Honestly, I didn't know that they were that recent, I thought it was further back in time.
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 16:17

It was Swedish that was an official language of administration and government in Finland, not Finnish. This is already a form of discrimination per se.

One may argue that it was not that important. But any Finn can justifiably disagree with that kind of opinion.

Swedish indeed was only official language. That does not mean that Finns in general really spoke Swedish outside of traditionally Swedish speaking rural regions, and obviously in towns. Exception would be Viipuri where the common language was German.

Language dilemma was solved so that priestly class, which was mostly Finnish speaking, took care a lot of the daily administrative tasks. In rural regions the administration spoke in Finnish and wrote in Swedish. First law collection was translated into Finnish allready in 1500's, allthough full legal codex "Ruotzin waldacunnan laki" was translated to Finnish as late as 1759. There was an administrative position in Stockholm, Official Royal Finnish translator from 1735 onwards. I dont think people during midleages or even later really paid that much focus on the matter.

There was one thing which indeed was clear wrong doing against the Finns. That was the military. Swedish military allways had major over representation of Finns. Considering that as much as half of the troops were often from Finland, while the Finnish population was not much more than 1/3 of that of Sweden. Obviously reason for that is Finlands location in the east, neighbouring the main enemy. That however was significant burden for the eastern part of the Kingdom. Finns even today have a joke; Swedes are allways ready to fight hard! To the last Finn standing!

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 20:25

There was one thing which indeed was clear wrong doing against the Finns. That was the military. Swedish military allways had major over representation of Finns. Considering that as much as half of the troops were often from Finland, while the Finnish population was not much more than 1/3 of that of Sweden. Obviously reason for that is Finlands location in the east, neighbouring the main enemy. That however was significant burden for the eastern part of the Kingdom. Finns even today have a joke; Swedes are allways ready to fight hard! To the last Finn standing!

I doubt this, although you hear it a lot from Finns. Between the mid 17th century until the breakup in 1809, there were 15 national (ie indelta) Swedish infantry regiments (~18,000) and 7 Finnish (~7,000), while the national cavalry consisted of ~6000 Swedish and ~3000 Finnish (and some 1000-odd Estonians). I have no real numbers on the ethnic balance in värvade regiments though. The navy was mostly manned by Swedes.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 06-May-2009 at 20:27
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2009 at 23:06

I doubt this, although you hear it a lot from Finns. Between the mid 17th century until the breakup in 1809, there were 15 national (ie indelta) Swedish infantry regiments (~18,000) and 7 Finnish (~7,000), while the national cavalry consisted of ~6000 Swedish and ~3000 Finnish (and some 1000-odd Estonians). I have no real numbers on the ethnic balance in värvade regiments though. The navy was mostly manned by Swedes.

Put your figures into the context of population density in both countries and you see what I mean.

Figures for total population amount in Kingdom of Sweden, anno domini 1700, figures are from: The Crown, the Nobility and the Peasants 1630–1713: Tax, rent and relations of power (Helsinki: SKS, 2003), isbn 978-952-10-5375-7.

Sweden     1 370 000
Finland          350 000

Kexholm          30 000
Baltics           500 000
in Germany 1 000 000

total  3 250 000

In the core empire we have  1.72 million persons, of those allmost 80% living in Sweden.

After the 30 years war there literally were hundreds of villages with only few old men and couple of kids left. Rest were fighting somewhere in Europe, and many did not come back at all. Constant warfare against Russia certainly had the strongest effect in Finland, both in victorious times as well as times of trouble (Greater Wrath comes to mind instantly). These all combined had dramatic effect to population development of Finland.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 09:27

Put your figures into the context of population density in both countries and you see what I mean.

Figures for total population amount in Kingdom of Sweden, anno domini 1700, figures are from: The Crown, the Nobility and the Peasants 1630–1713: Tax, rent and relations of power (Helsinki: SKS, 2003), isbn 978-952-10-5375-7.

Sweden     1 370 000
Finland          350 000

Kexholm          30 000
Baltics           500 000
in Germany 1 000 000

total  3 250 000

In the core empire we have  1.72 million persons, of those allmost 80% living in Sweden.

After the 30 years war there literally were hundreds of villages with only few old men and couple of kids left. Rest were fighting somewhere in Europe, and many did not come back at all. Constant warfare against Russia certainly had the strongest effect in Finland, both in victorious times as well as times of trouble (Greater Wrath comes to mind instantly). These all combined had dramatic effect to population development of Finland.

True, it was just a quick calculation. I only included the conscripted/drafted/indelta regiments though. An additional 10,000 men in seven regiments were recruited from Sweden proper.
I'm interested in the topic - I've never seen a good calculation. What you are saying about Finland was also true for many Swedish provinces. The draft was quite uneven: some areas didn't provide any troops at all, but payed extra taxes instead. All the Norrland provinces - of which Österbotten/Pohjanmaa was also a part - were as heavily drafted as those of Finland, and they were as sparsely populated. Villages were depopulated during the 30 Years War as well as during the GNW. A fair comparison should be made on the provincial level. Take the outbreak of the Great Northern War as an example. Norrland, including Österbotten, had a population of around 110,000 in 1700, but provided four large infantry regiments and a small cavalry unit, which is on par with Finland.

This is of course very crude and only covers the outbreak of the war, adding to that is the continous drafting to replenish losses during the 20 years of prolonged war. Unfortunately I couldn't find any works making a serious investigations of all the drafts during the whole war. The devastating part that most of Sweden was spared from was indeed that Finland served as a cushion and took the brunt of most Russian invasions though (Småland served the same role during the wars with the Danes). I'm just saying that the Swedes were quite ruthless towards their own population when it came to drafts.

We are seriously off topic though, maybe it is time to split the thread?

Edited by Styrbiorn - 07-May-2009 at 09:31
Fennica View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Fennica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2009 at 08:39

I'll have a look, if you give me the links: I'm generally quite sceptical and antagonistic towards genetical studies, because they tend to attract nationalists and similar making ludicrous claims ("first this, first that").
Ludicrous?
I myself along with countless other Finns who study our past are just too happy to finally have a concrete scientific study to place our kinship, yours are neighbours into right historical kin. Believe me, this is great to people who have been talked down as mongols.

On the question, in Wikipedia entry about "Finns/genetics", there are links to gene-studies.
("Nevertheless more than 80% of Finnish genes are from single ancient North-European population, while most Europeans are a mixture of 3 or more principal components")

They quite obviously weren't. The Scandinavians were hardly very advanced in that era either, but were civilized by technological imports from the continent, that also spread to Finland.
Jesh, although Northlanders were advanced on their own traits. As an example the lake-ore which Vikings traded from Finnish kindoms(used in Viking-vessels and in blades), or knowledge of various tree qualities and their usage in various tasks.
Finns used Viking-type of weapons, but shaped the basic forms to suit our particular conditions.
Many types of mundane items were also adopted from Viking-traders. Constant flux of information.

The Swedish kings didn't "exploit" the Finns anymore than they exploited the Swedes.
The Finnish provinces had the same legal status as the "proper Swedish" provinces of the country, so it's not a question of Swedes ruling Finns; it's a question of noblemen ruling farmers.
The taxation of Finland was rather different than taxation of Swedish areas. Humala-plant, dried fish and grain were essentials from Finland, along with raw matarials and manpower. Swedish army was fed from Finland.
To add to that list the face that Finland was a buffer-zone, and you get quite a few tasks.
 I'd view Swedish exploits of Finland similar to that of English vs Scots. English eventually destroyed all of Scottish Highlanders customs, making them easier to control.

I did not say the exploitation to bash, but to remind.
We had such a smaller population, yet Finns were always in the frontlines where-ever Swedes went. Swedes tend to look at manpower-numbers in battlefields, as they should be looking at total population. 'tis grim numbers.

The Finns at the time didn't see themselves as ruled by foreigners either: they did consider it to be one country, compare eg to the other conquered provinces today (Jämtland, Halland, Blekinge, etc).
The whole Finn vs Swede business in the 14th-19th centuries is a pure anachronism, invented by historiographers.
Right after Swedish occupation, the Tavast rebelled and slaughtered all Swedes they could find. After Swedes regained control, they built Castle of Tavast, to protect themselves against Tavastians.(hämeenlinna)
-Very much saw as ruled by outsiders-

But this was right after the succesful Swedish "crusade", so a lot of time passed before Finns saw Swedes as legimate rulers.

To deny that it had any positive side-effects is as far from the truth as claiming it was only positive. What if scenarios, eg, "what would have happened if the Swedes didn't invade?", I find quite pointless.
Hmh, Novgorod would have eventually managed to gain control and Swden would have eventually found Rus in their next door and sea-bordering hostile kingdom. But if you find it pointless, let us not go there.

Positive side-effects are hard to find.
-Some pointers to consider;
Swedes destroyed Finnish way of life, religious customs, ruling families, identity and history.
 So forgive me for not seeing any positive about that.

En uneksi.
Fennica View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Fennica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2009 at 09:16

I have to agree with Styrbiorn. Claims of "Finns oppressed by the Swedes" sprung mainly from the internal difficulties between the Finnish speaking reformers and Swedish speaking bourgeoise during late 1800' and early 1900's. Combatants also known as Fennomans and Svekomans (-man ending has nothing to do with men, but with mania).

I am not talking about Fennomania here. Fennomania was a counterstrike against Russifications, people had very little knowledge of the Finnish historical past back then.
Archeology did not co-operate with filology and scientific research back then.
In fact, studies of the past were made to elevate own "race" or nation above normal.

There was not even clear linguistical boundaries between the two as many of the prominent Fennomans were infact from Swedish speaking background and many ardent Svekomans from Finnish speaking families. It was political struglle for the direction of Grand Duchy of Finland and her relation to St. Petersburg (then capital of Czaristic Russia).
As I said, counterstrike against eventual Russification programs. Although before those attempts, Grand Dutchy of Finland had had its Golden age under the Tsar. For Russians had no sayings with the matters of Grand Dutchy, only the Tsar did.

Fennomans generally saw Russian Empire in rather positive light and wanted to co-operate in the context of Russian Empire. This led to Czaristic policies which were positive for the Fennoman ideals (until period of russification which then led into rebellious attitudes amongst the Fennomans too). Svekomans whom were more Sweden-minded and even tought that Finland should return to community with Sweden. Svekomans were more conservative and wanted to hold on to "old Swedish" power structures (capital in Turku, only Swedish as legislative language etc), as they saw that as only way to escape russification.
You know your history, well said.

As Fennomans played the ball with the Czar they obviously got most of their initiatives through. There was also an period of major internal development (railroads, general infratructure) which led to positive outcome. Also the markets of Russian Empire turned out to be prosperous for Finns.
Tsar modernized Finland. Gave our language legimate status (which Swedes had downplayed), built fortifications to protect us, built roads, fuctional post-offices, schools, libraries... everything the Swedes had denied.
Tsar went as far as denied Russians access to his Grand Dutchy. Only traders and certain army units were allowed access.

All this together led the Svekomans to very bitter situation, as they saw that the Fennoman reformist were bit byt bit taking down the "old powerstructure" and replaced it by new one.
New order, which did not promote Sweden nor Swedish. I view Svekomans as traitors. Finally Finns were given a chance, and they longed the old times where we had to pay, endure and bleed.

[/QUOTE]They saw that the russification was inevitable.[/QUOTE]I have to disagree here, Russification became as a shock to Finns when it hit, and it was because of hardliners in Russian leaders added with a weakling Tsar.

Svekoman hardliners started to distance themselves from fellow Finns and created new theories how Finns are "mongoloids of inferior race" and "how swedes brought the civilisation to wild Finns" etc. They even created an phony ethnicity "Östsvenskar", east-swedes, whom were responsible for all the good things in Finland, negative things were attributed to "mongoloid finns whom are like russians anyway". In this mindmap Finns belong to culture of Central Asian Turanic peoples and are not part of the European culture at all. The General situation has to keep in mind, as these people were very pro-Sweden, and Russia, if anything has allways seen as the other, the enemy, the alien. Idea that the reformist Fennomans dared to play ball with that eastern monster certainly made them equally evil!
One of the sad moments in Finnish history, I am afraid.
Once again, I have to congratulate you on the knowledge you have.

[/QUOTE]This kind of talk were ofcource fighting words which did not pass under the radar. Fennoman "party" started to make fabricated claims how Swedes oppressed Finns for hundreds of years and now Finns are finally free of the Swedish yoke. It was direct response to Svekoman provocations. [/QUOTE]Yes, but I am not talking about Fennomania claims, but the events which took place right after Swedes managed to gain control of Häme, Satakunta and Uusimaa. Those two talk of the same thing, but are not the same.

Fennoman side came out victiorious from that internal strugle, after Finlands independence. During the very nationalistic period of young Republic of Finland these Fennoman claims staid as part of the "national history". Svekoman stories of "Finnish mongoloids" staid too on some international forums, especially amongst the "Indo-Germanish Aryan" voodoo science of 1930's.
And only now we can try to see past the claims of two sides.

This is just the reason why I feel the need to study history before Swedish rule. History books used to have blank pages on the kingdoms which were before Swedish succesfully gained control. We know very well the events after the succesful claiming of area, but the absence of information before those times... that is the intresting part.
-We had a highly complex hill-fort system in Häme, Uisko-longboats, own weapon-types, own religion, own trading routes.. and own quarrels with neighbouring Karelians, Swedes, Kveeni and Novgorod.

What comes to subject about origins of Finns, that is very simple. Finns have dual origins, Northeast European and Northwest European. This can be seen clearly from physical anthropology and Y-chromosal data. According to Prof. Markku Niskanen, Oulu university, typical Finnish crania is between West European and East European. Between Norwegians and Russians. How very surprising.
He has said that finnish skull-type is the closest of the cro-magnon-type of skull. The one which migrated into Europe around 40 000 B.C.   http://www.kaltio.fi/index.php?53
Not that skull would be a mix of Eastern and Western. Finns being a mix of Eastern and Western is simply an outdated theory, proven false.
As DNA states, Markers of Finno can be found in most other European, but Finnish lack other European markers.

From DNA evidence Finns share most of their markers with people of East Baltic (Northwest Russians, Estonians, Latvians) and on the other hand with Scandinavians (especially with Swedes). Language is evidently of East Baltic origins as most of eastern shore of Baltic Sea was Finnic speaking not very long ago, and largely still is.
With Estonians, not so much with Latvi or Lietti. Russians are a mix of various Finno and Slavonic tribes, so there should be a clear link to point it out.
En uneksi.
Fennica View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Fennica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2009 at 09:35

There was no standard "Swedish"; except the core around lake Mälaren every province had quite a separate dialect - add to that the Danish and Norwegian-speaking peoples. Sure, not as different as Finnish is. Further, the leaders were supposed to speak Latin, German or French depending on era, and many official documents are in these languages, not Swedish.
At least in Finland, offical status as a nobleman or a govermental employee absolutely required the speaking and writing in Swedish.
"Svenska talande bättre folk", is an old saying in Finland. Often said with outmost disdain.

There was no concious attempt to erase Finnish, in fact, after the loss of Finland, there was even an attempt to create an entirely Finnish-speaking province in Sweden proper (lots of Finns had been given free land there). It wasn't until the end of the 19th century when Finnish - and other languages, including dialects of Swedish - were tried to be erased in a furry of national romanticism.
I nearly chocked on my coffee! Did you know that hardliner Swedes planned an extinction of the entire Finnish populance, as late as 16th century? Plan was to have 3% left and placed in a reservate far in the Northern areas. I could not belive the article myself what I read it.
Forest Finns were invited to settle Swedish areas and their rights have been stomped ever since. Forbidden to use their language, forcefully migrated into Sweden-owned colony in North America, still today denied the status of a minority.
Just this week Sweden was blamed to have done nothing to aid its language minorites. Something Sweden have been told to correct many times.

But yes, Finns were naturally at a disadvantage, since a Finn who sought to make a name in the state system were required to learn Swedish. I don't see how this is different from other multicultural societies though, eg modern day Russia -or Sweden for that matter.  There's always a dominant language.
Which you just said; was latin, German or France.
En uneksi.
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2009 at 14:40
Why is this point incessantly repeated: bad Swedes and their language schtick!? Every single one of the nation states in Europe had a language tick and sought to enforce conformity either through social pressure or outright force. "Language" laws still dotted the legal landscape well into the 20th century. Certainly one can posit a good argument that the "Enlightment' [or a I prefer to label it, the "En(b)lightment"] and its Academies fought hard against regional dialects and languages. In this instance, Sweden was scarcely different from any of its contemporary states. National "establishments" actually believed they were doing good in educating the bumpkins on proper speech and educational institutions sought to enforce conformity. Events in Scandinavia were no different than elsewhere in Europe--or throughout the empires as well. 
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2009 at 16:30

Yes, but that doesn't mean that Finns should be happy with that.

Σαυρομάτης
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2009 at 17:18

Yes, but that doesn't mean that Finns should be happy with that.

Should we raise this question with the Saami? After all, since 1917, Helsinki has not recalled its own travails prior to 1863.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2009 at 18:38
Originally posted by Fennica

I  Believe me, this is great to people who have been talked down as Mongols.

I wonder if it was pseudo-science or Swedes tried to undermine the Finns back in those days.

History of Finns in Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>