Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Government and Power in the First Bulgarian Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Government and Power in the First Bulgarian Empire
    Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 07:41
Originally posted by DayI

Originally posted by NikeBG

Originally posted by Anton

If some suppose they were of tribes close to Slavs, I am sure you heard about those theories...

Well, honestly, I don't remember hearing such theories so far. I remember about theories that Slavs actually don't exist and are a manipulation, created by Russia, but that the Bulgars were Slavs - none so far. Do you know any author or site, which claims such a thing? Eventually a link?

Btw, Kavkan (welcome to the forum), IIRC, цар is derived from цьсар, not from kaiser. The very sound of the German Kaiser is quite far both from цар and from цьсар. I am not sure, however, is it derived from the Latin Caesar or from the Greek kesar, as (IMHO) it's equally close by sound to both.
Another interesting example is the more modern Slavic "title" "kral", which means exactly "king", used mainly for Western kings. IIRC, it's derived from the Slavic form of the name of Charlemagne - "Karl". However, I'm not entirely sure about that since the first example, which I remember, of "kral" being used is around the middle/end of the 14th c. - Krali Marko/Marko Kraljevic, which is quite far from Charlemagne's times.
"Kral" is also king in Turkish, its also "kyraly" in Hungarian.

Hi!

correct: kirly (ly=j) But you are right.  In the Secret history of the mongols the danube hungarians (some of their still nomadic tribes lived near by the Volga-bulgarians) were called "kerals".

We have here in Hungary some settlemens  called Tarkany (tarkan-it means smith, or iron).

Tehproto bulgarians were a part of the West turk empire in some tme; the title of the turk empirors was (after the suan-suan empirors) kagan. So the bulgars could take over the title. The avarian ruler was a kagan too (and some bulgarian tribes (f.e. the kutrigurs) lived by the avars in the 6. Cent., and much more bulgarian groups moved to the avars in the 670's.

I hope these are some helping informations.

TSZ
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 10:33
Originally posted by Liudovik_Nemski

Originally posted by Krum

A very good list NikeBG.Well done!!!!

The main reason that bulgarian state survived is protobulgars.You know that most of today's slavic countries were not created by slavs but by others(vikings and russia).So slavs were not able to create a country alone.

Simple people don't make a country.It is we who united them under the bulgar banner(btw it was a spear with a horse tail at the end if anyone wants to know)Smile

They were able to create states of their own in other places. Croatia had its own kingdom. Bosnia had its own kingdom. Serbia had its own kingdom. Montenegro as well. Poland did too. The Bohemian duchy, virtually independent. A lot rather sucessful examples of slavic states, origininated by slavs. Just because Russia and Bulgaria's majority slavic population needed some outside father figure to do so for them does not reflect the entire slavic world.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 17:26
Originally posted by es_bih

They were able to create states of their own in other places. Croatia had its own kingdom. Bosnia had its own kingdom. Serbia had its own kingdom. Montenegro as well. Poland did too. The Bohemian duchy, virtually independent. A lot rather sucessful examples of slavic states, origininated by slavs. Just because Russia and Bulgaria's majority slavic population needed some outside father figure to do so for them does not reflect the entire slavic world.

I don't believe that Bulgarian and Russian Slavs were not able to create a state. That is just a part of Bulgarian and Russian myths.
But I would like to mention that Serbian (Raska), Polish, Croatian and Bosnian Kingdoms were created some 150 years later and and it is unsure whether they would be created without influence of Bulgarian state (I am talking at least about Balkan slavonic states) and it's relationships with Byzantine Empire, Franks and some others.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 18:14

Originally posted by es_bih

I don't believe that Bulgarian and Russian Slavs were not able to create a state. That is just a part of Bulgarian and Russian myths.
But I would like to mention that Serbian (Raska), Polish, Croatian and Bosnian Kingdoms were created some 150 years later and and it is unsure whether they would be created without influence of Bulgarian state (I am talking at least about Balkan slavonic states) and it's relationships with Byzantine Empire, Franks and some others.
Hard to say if they were using Bulgaria as an example or not. However, like you said too, they would have been able to create states, just like the turkic Bulgars were able to.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 09:14

Everybody search for long hand from Moscow Smile Names are: Gantcho Tsenoff, Asen Chillingirov and George Sotiroff.

I believe I have one book of Gantcho Tsenov, I might check it out. When I received it first and saw all the funny things there I just thought "Not a serious book. I'll read it for entertainment only if I have nothing else." But I guess even funny books deserve a critical reading. Wink
And, yes, conspiracy theories seem to be quite attractive in the last few years all accross the globe. Either the Russians invented the whole Slavic world or the Americans destroyed the WTC at 9/11 themselves (or, of course, the Jews stand behind all of this). At least that gives us something more to laugh about...
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 16:22
Nike, Cenov has many nonserious statements and went too far. But he pointed to many wrong places of Zlatarski's theory.

Edited by Anton - 26-Dec-2006 at 16:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234