Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

northern and southern Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: northern and southern Europe
    Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 11:24
Pinguin.

This dude here is from brazil, his names Wanderlai Silva..

Im pretty sure he has some native in him, so would he be classified as White or Mestizo ?

Edited by think - 22-Oct-2006 at 11:27
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 12:19
Also the world is already overpopulated

Europes not..

Just wait until natural resources run out.

In the premodern age excessive population growth was corrected every few decades or so by a substinence crisis (famine, desease, war). The last time this happened in Europe was in the 1840s. Since then technological advances have made continued population growth possible. However when we'll run out of natural resources, that will end. So if we don't bring now the number of people now by getting less children, it will happen later, and in a much nastier way.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 12:39
Originally posted by think

Pinguin.

This dude here is from brazil, his names Wanderlai Silva..

Im pretty sure he has some native in him, so would he be classified as White or Mestizo ?

I don't know. We would need a genetic test. I believe the person is either 100% white or perhaps has certain Black ancestry on him. But nobody can be certain in genetics. I don't see Native facial features on him, besides, boxing change facial features with easy LOL

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 12:43
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Europes not..

Just wait until natural resources run out.

In the premodern age excessive population growth was corrected every few decades or so by a substinence crisis (famine, desease, war). The last time this happened in Europe was in the 1840s. Since then technological advances have made continued population growth possible. However when we'll run out of natural resources, that will end. So if we don't bring now the number of people now by getting less children, it will happen later, and in a much nastier way.

Well, I will make a politically incorrect statement here. If you want to stop population growth you have to convince those people that are reproducing out of control right now. I mean basically Arabs, South West Asians and particularly Subsaharan Africans.

Europeans can't even mantain its current populations estable, so they don't have an explossion problem. Rather, they are hardly surviving right now.

Pinguin.

Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 16:05
Originally posted by pinguin

Europes not..
Just wait until natural resources run out.In the premodern age excessive population growth was corrected every few decades or so by a substinence crisis (famine, desease, war). The last time this happened in Europe was in the 1840s. Since then technological advances have made continued population growth possible. However when we'll run out of natural resources, that will end. So if we don't bring now the number of people now by getting less children, it will happen later, and in a much nastier way.

Well, I will make a politically incorrect statement here. If you want to stop population growth you have to convince those people that are reproducing out of control right now. I mean basically Arabs, South West Asians and particularly Subsaharan Africans.

Europeans can't even mantain its current populations estable, so they don't have an explossion problem. Rather, they are hardly surviving right now.

Pinguin.

Oh they're surviving fine. And their societies are still doing well. The fact that there's going to be a demand for people to come and make a living in then is hardly a bad thing for anyone.

It's a wealth thing. Once these non-europeans start catching up the west in wealth their birth-rates will drop, and when western absolute wealth starts to decline them birth rates will pick up again.
One must not insult the future.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 18:05

So people who get only a few children should get more and people who get many children should get only a few? Isn't that a bit inconsequent?

Besides, population growth rates in Latin America are still pretty high as well.

Rather, they are hardly surviving right now.

I fully second joinvilles reaction here.

Edited by Mixcoatl - 22-Oct-2006 at 18:10
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 18:37

Besides, population growth rates in Latin America are still pretty high as well.

No, they are not. What you are seeing is people not dying as yet. I mean, old people is living longer. In many places of Latin America the same problems of Europe are comming up for the next generations.

Sorry. For population explosion you'll have to complain to other continents.

Pinguin.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 18:42
To all: what is the optimal population level for Earth? 1 billion? 4 billion? What do you think?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 19:29

No, they are not.

Yes they are:
Argentine 0.96%
Belize 2.31%
Bolivia 1.45%
Brazil 1.04%
Chile 0.94%
Colombia 1.46%
Costa Rica 1.45%
Cuba 0.31%
Dominican Republic 1.47%
Ecuador 1.5%
El Salvador 1.72%
French Guiana 1.96%
Guatemala 2.27%
Haiti 2.3%
Honduras 2.16%
Mexico 1.16%
Nicaragua 1.89%
Panama 1.6%
Paraguay 2.45%
Peru 1.32%
Puerto Rico 0.4%
Uruguay 0.46%
Venezuela 1.38%

Not as high as Subsaharan Africa, but still pretty impressive, most are well above the growth rates of wealthier countries. Also notice that relatively wealthy countries (Argentina, Uruguay, Chile) have lower growth rates than poorer countries (Honduras, Peru, Haiti). Don't forget that if a country's population grows with 2%, there needs to be an economical growth of 2% as well in order to maintain standards of living.

What you are seeing is people not dying as yet.

Perhaps not dying. But no doubt living circumstances would be a lot better with less people. And if the population will continue to grow like that sooner or later the Maltusian trap will close.

Edited by Mixcoatl - 22-Oct-2006 at 19:30
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 19:59
Is an audi worth a child?

I have already chosen. I preffer my kids to luxury. After all, our descendents remain on the planet, and the material things can't be put on the coffin.

Pinguin
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 20:08

I have already chosen. I preffer my kids to luxury. After all, our descendents remain on the planet, and the material things can't be put on the coffin.

Pinguin

You don't have to send your Audi to school; on the other hand car mechanics can be pretty expensive these daysSmile
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 20:20

Yes. You save a lot of money by not having kids.

That's the reward nature gaves you for giving up.

Pinguin

think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 20:22
Oh they're surviving fine. And their societies are still doing well. The fact that there's going to be a demand for people to come and make a living in then is hardly a bad thing for anyone

You couldnt have said it more simply (its not a simple matter), but i dont agree with you..

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 04:33

Originally posted by gcle2003

The way society is organised now in Spain and the developed world, you no longer need so much to breed children to support you in middle and old age.

Yes. The peopl who support you in middle and old age are immigrants now, not your own children.

Is there something wrong with that? The immigrants generally get a good deal out of it too.

And of course they are mostly running away from places that have been kept economically backward by concentration on 'family values'.

Well, I know that since long time ago, because I lived in a developed country, that most Europe and North America is quite happy to become extinct. LOL

In Latin America people still fight to have children no matter is getting quite expensive.

Why on earth do you consider that a good thing? One would hope that humanity had evolved past the pure animal stage.

We still preffer our own kind rather than import foreigners to pay our welfare checks when we get old.

Very chauvinistic of you. Incidentally is there a long queue of foreigners trying to migrate to Chile?

However, the influence of the decadent mentality of the west in our people is a matter of concern by now.

Things happenes because a reason. Perhaps its time other people, who love life more, take the control of the situation.

Pinguin

The reason people in economically backward countries have more children (apart from the religious issues) is that the economic benefits of children's labour outweigh the costs of bringing them up.

It has nothing to do with 'love of life' except in the sense that your life will be better if you have more children working.

Edited by gcle2003 - 23-Oct-2006 at 04:35
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 05:12

Of course not. But doesn't your kid deserve an Audi, if you want the best for him?

It's more like "One Audi for each kid". And then these kids go around in Audis while yours have to ride the buss.

It's about investing heavily (education mostly, which is way more expensive than cars) in the few children you get, not getting a lot of children hoping one of them will be able to afford giving you an Audi in your old age.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 08:52
Originally posted by Joinville

Of course not. But doesn't your kid deserve an Audi, if you want the best for him?

It's more like "One Audi for each kid". And then these kids go around in Audis while yours have to ride the buss.

It's about investing heavily (education mostly, which is way more expensive than cars) in the few children you get, not getting a lot of children hoping one of them will be able to afford giving you an Audi in your old age.

You should give that advice to Subsaharan Africans. Not to me. All my kids are getting college education. LOL

Pinguin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 09:04

Is there something wrong with that? The immigrants generally get a good deal out of it too.

And of course they are mostly running away from places that have been kept economically backward by concentration on 'family values'.

Yes. It is easier to BUY people abroad that having kids. That's for sure. 
And the "family values" I was thinking were the ones your grandparents and even your parents have, but that your generation forgot.

Why on earth do you consider that a good thing? One would hope that humanity had evolved past the pure animal stage.

Well, the animal that does not reproduce get extinguished. Do you believe the immigrants will keep your culture alive? Forget it. If you people don't preserve live you will be forgoten like the Neaderthal man is forgotten today. That's the "animal stage". The weak perish and the strong survive.
The law of the jungle is still here, between the skycrappers.

Very chauvinistic of you. Incidentally is there a long queue of foreigners trying to migrate to Chile?

Quite a lot. Many Peruvian nanies and even some DR prostitutes. However, most of immigrant we have add value to the country, like Koreans enterpreneurs, Argentinean professionals and some Americans and Europeans that are feed up with the developing countries style of live.

We still select who comes in. And we don't pay welfare checks to refugees.

The reason people in economically backward countries have more children (apart from the religious issues) is that the economic benefits of children's labour outweigh the costs of bringing them up.

It has nothing to do with 'love of life' except in the sense that your life will be better if you have more children working.

Yes. The economical benefits. I guess the states should not pay the welfare checks of so many old European and North American senior citizens that live on the shoulders of immigrants and the few of theirs fellow citizens, because they decided it was more fun to avoids kids when they could?

What is more shameful, that the family colaborates with the elders, or that strangers support you at the end?

In any case, most people in Latin America don't live on theirs kids anyways, so that claim, so many times repeated, of the old people having kids because of the economic benefits, it is a fallacy.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 13:24

I was thinking were the ones your grandparents and even your parents have, but that your generation forgot.

LOL

Just check gcle's profile.

Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 13:35

Originally posted by Joinville

You should give that advice to Subsaharan Africans. Not to me. All my kids are getting college education. LOL

Pinguin
I didn't think macroeconomic musings counted as personal advice?Tongue
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 00:20
Dear me! Are people still ranting about the population bomb? What did Paul Ehrlich predict would happen in the year 2000?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>