Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Kingdoms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Kingdoms
    Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 10:05
Originally posted by Mosquito

Rider Gniezno was an Archbishopric and has never been a bishopric. It was erected in 1000 AD as Archbishopric.

Not so by my encyclopaedias.

Originally posted by Barbarroja

County of Barcelona, of Urgell

I have Urgell, only spelt wrong; I do think I am missing Barcelona, but I do have the March of Spain/Spanish March.

Originally posted by Barbarroja

Kingdom of Valencia, of Mallorca, of Galicia (was also a kingdom during some years), and some Kingdoms of Taifas like Denia, Badajoz, etc.

I do have Badajoz, only spelt as a former member suggested it be.

I do know also that Mallorca and Valencia were kingdoms, but would you be then so kind to give me some dates and stuff (first and last king/ruler/monarch?

Originally posted by Celestial

I don't know what this huy is thinking. Fatimid Caliphate and Kingdom of Jerusalem in Asia Minor? wow. that is pretty new.

Please stay on a nicer tone LOL, thanks. Who are you talking about? Me or Peter?

Originally posted by tsar

Second Bulgarian Empire 1185-1396 Oh and btw it was a Tsardom not a kingdom

Hmmh. It is known as an Empire, and therefore it is an Empire, ruled by a tzar; I am not entirely sure, if the term Tzardom even exists in English nor if does such as Kniazdom..
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 06:02
You have the Mach of Spain, but when they separated from France, many counties were independent. Not only Barcelona or Urgell but they were the most important, also were Girona, Roussillon, Cerdanya, Empuries, etc. In the wikipedia in Spanish you can find a list of them:

Valencia and Mallorca as a Christian Kingdoms were created by James I of Aragon "The Conqueror". By the way, yesterday, 9th of October we celebrate the day of Valencian Country because in that day James I conquered the city of Valencia. He didn't add both kingdoms to Catalonia or Aragon, and they created both as a kingdom. The fisrt king was James and the last one is Juan Carlos I who has these titles yet.

I don't know which kind of information you want... you can send me a e-mail if you need more?
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 11:52
I would need the:

name      beginning date   first king/duke/ruler      last king/duke/ruler    ending date.

Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 19:54
Valencia and Mallorca as a Christian Kingdoms were created by James I of Aragon "The Conqueror".

Weren't they under Aragonese suzerainity though?
bochgoch View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote bochgoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 15:47

Kingdom of England (927-1707)

From the Roman withdrawal from Britain in 410-411, Wales was an assemblage of independent Kingdoms (mainly, Deheubarth, Gwynedd, Powys, Brycheiniog, Morgannwg and Gwent) and not a part of England prior to the Norman invasion of Southern Britain that commenced in 1066.

Whilst these Kingdoms were by no means continually independent, for example,Hywel Dda  (Hywel the Good), formed Deheubarth from various smaller kingdoms, extended his rule over most of Wales by 942, upon his death his sons were able to retain control of Deheubarth but lost much of the rest of his kingdom.

It wasnt until 1093 and the death of Rhys ap Tewdwr of Deheubarth that Wales was finally conquered by the Normans.

So I'd say you somehow need to reflect the Kingdoms of Wales at least until 1093...

Edited by rider - 03-Nov-2006 at 02:53
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 02:54
bochgoch, I edited the font into a normal version and therefore delted the post 'Sorry about the font'.

Anyways, I think that they aren't included is because very few non-English/Welshmen knew of these...
Burdokva View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 16:08
OK, I didn't want to open a new topic since it's a rather obscure question and either way I think this one is fine. Now, our professor at the SU (Sofia University) seems to be very fond of Medieval diplomacy, heraldry and titles. One of the things he heavily focused on today's lecture (and the previous one) was that the title of "king" and "tsar" (or "tzar", be it how you english-speaking lads find it better) are not the same and should not be mixed. This was especially importaint when Kaloian made an union with the pope and was titled "rex vulgarorum" in 1204, compared to the title "tsar".
Now, I'm not expert and I didn't have time to ask him to explain it further, but seems to me that there is a difference.

The title "tsar" cames from Ceaser, later byzantine "kessar" (also where german "keiser" derives from) and literary means "emperor" in slavic. It was passed on from Medieval Bulgaria to other slavic states (Russia, etc.) after Tsar Peter I became the first non-byzantine ruler to be granted the title in 929.

Can anyone actually explain the difference between a "king" and a "tsar", besides the obvious fact that Eastern Orthodox rulers were titled as tsars and Western Catholic - kings?
And really, shouldn't then Medieval Bulgaria and Russia (and any other states I can't remember now) be known as "Tsardoms/tzardoms" instead of "kingdoms"?

Well, sorry for my rather bad english. Hope my post's clear enough and you can help me out! ;)
Unity makes Strenght
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 07:22
Originally posted by Peter III

Second Bulgarian Kingdom (1185-?)   

?=1396 Smile
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 12:50
And really, shouldn't then Medieval Bulgaria and Russia (and any other states I can't remember now) be known as "Tsardoms/tzardoms" instead of "kingdoms"?

Well, the only answer can be that they are known as Tzardoms (with Bulgaria as an Empire]...

Russia has never had a king...
Peter III View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 13:11
Sorry, I've been kind of peoccupied lately. I have alot more time now to focus on this project and do a bit of research.

I'll keep making changes and posting them on this thread.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 13:18
In most modern articles, it's simply translated as "First Bulgarian Empire" and "Second Bulgarian Empire", which is more or less right, although there's quite some space for revisions. But that's the general thing. Of course, there's also the Russian Empire. And "tsar" (tzar, czar) is clearly an imperial title. What's interesting for me is why is "kniaz" translated as prince, while it's basically a normal king? Furthermore, I remember reading that one of the possible derivations of "kniaz" is close to the German "konig" (wuth umlaut) or the Northern "konung" and even today "koenig" means "king" on German. So, if we accept this, then Russia did have many kings and so did Serbia. We had one or two too. Of course, in the late middle ages we acquired a new form - "kral" (as in Krali Marko), which is now always and only translated as "king". But "kral" is only a newer replacement of "kniaz"... Oh, well, titles are not really my specialty. Although translations are... ;)
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 11:05
Well, I think that the word 'kniaz' is translated to 'prince' because of the actual power the person had. HE clearly wasn't a king. And also, it might be of the territory they ruled - not so large...

But no one can be such a person to think that Russia was an Empire before 1724.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 14:47
I believe that the Kiyvan ruler Svyatoslav (the guy, who caused all those problems for us at the end of the 60s of the X c.) was a "kniaz" and the territory he ruled and the power he had was at least that of a normal king. It's true, though, that many "kniazdoms" were fragmented and not very strong states, like f.e. the early Serbian and Russian "principalities". Another reason, which I was thinking about, is that there might also be the misleading similarity with "knez", which at some times and places meant something something like a village mayor or elder. Oh, and another one - since in Bulgarian (and probably Russian) "tsar" is equal both to "king" and "emperor", the sons of the "tsars" were often called "kniaze", which should be translated in this case exactly as "prince". Like f.e. in the Prince of Wales etc...
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 07:11
I have some difficults to say which was the first and the last king of some hispanic kingdoms (in fact, aragonses kingdoms) because they were very 'mixed', and they were different kigndoms but with the same king. E.g. Mallorca. And the Spanish king has now these titles.

You can add Menorca. It was an independent kingdom from 1231 to 1287 with its conquest by Alfons III of Aragon. The last muslim king was Ab'Umar.
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 12:25
The Duchy of Normandy was not a kingdom. The political loyalty of the Church was transferred to the King in 987 along with the traditions of sacral kingship. From then it was very hard, if not impossible, for the various French princes to claim kingship. It was the coronation and the sacral ceremony that went with it that differentiated the King from all his subjects.

Source = Capetian France 987 - 1328 Edition Longham.
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 12:32
I see you consider it was independant. Formally it was acting as it was independant and if it's true that, for instance, King Henry I of England did not recognise the royal (French) lordship over Normandy it was more an exeption than anything else. King Henry II of England clearly recognised the lordship even when he was King of England and so did King Richard I.

The thread is: Medieval Kingdoms not Medieval Principalities and for the reasons I stated in my previous post the Duke of Normandy could not claim Kingship over Normandy.

You forgot the Kingdom of Brittany though (established by Nominoe and collapsed in the struggles between Nantes and Rennes).
Vae victis!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 02:18
Russian has the word 'prints' as well as 'knyaz'.
A knyaz (I was taught) is a ruler in his own right, whereas a prints is a relative of the king.

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 10:47
Originally posted by rider

And really, shouldn't then Medieval Bulgaria and Russia (and any other
states I can't remember now) be known as "Tsardoms/tzardoms" instead of
"kingdoms"?
Well, the only answer can be that they are known as Tzardoms (with Bulgaria as an Empire]...Russia has never had a king...

sure they did, Wladyslaw IV of Poland :P
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 03:59
Let me start it off....

Golden Horde (1226-1502)
        Golden Horde Khanate was started with the beginning of reign of Ogodei Khan, son of Genghis Khan. Golden Horde Khanate's conquest was on the Steppes, Russia, and Mongolia. With the help of Subotai Bahadur, Ogodei conquered more and more Eastern Europe, even they captured Budapest after the Battle of Mohi (1241(?)), defeated the Hungarians and the Templars. But, when Ogodei and Subotai died, their Reign in Eastern Europe started to collapsed. In about 14th Century, peasants rebelled there, the Russian takes its Cities and Poland also take a region.... as well as the Bulgars. Finally, the Empire collapsed to ruins at 1502.

Fatimid Dynasty Caliphate
          The Fatimids started to reign at Northern Africa at the Reign of the Imam Mahdi (909-930s), when Abu Abdullah, a Shia Mullah who preached Shia to the Berbers, was executed by Mahdi. Mahdi rose the Empire by recruiting the Zawila (Nubian) slaves and the Sakalaba (Slav) Slaves, imported from Chad and Italy. When Mahdi died, the throne was given to his Heir and so on... They called themsleves Fatimids, as they claimed Fatimah, Wife of Ali (4th Caliph), Daughter of Prophet Mohammmed, as their Ancestor. The Fatimids also conquered Sicily and Sijilmasa. They also had a very special Alliance with the Ismaili Assasins, but, however, it didn't saved them from the Ayyubids (Saladin and his descents) at 1171.

Byzantine Empire
           The Byzantines was actually the Eastern Roman Empire, started when Emperor Diocletianus torned the Roman Empire to the Western and the Eastern Empire. The Byzantines was once threatened by the Visigoths, the Alans, and the Huns. But they all (except the Alans) turned their target to the Western Empire. and the Byzantines were saved...
The Eastern Empire is called the Byzantines since they've made many golden Coints called Bezants for trades. They success was at the peak when Justinian I reigned, but, their reign started to declined at Syria and North Africa when the Muslims invade them. They started to came back again with the Cleverness of the Comnenus Emperors. But, however, they again started to fall and finally declined at the Fall of Constantinople (1453).

Kingdom of Abasgia
    Hi.. What do you mean?? This is too mysterious!! Do you mean these are the Abbasyids??

Kingdom of Iberia
         ????

Another Kingdoms???
        Later on, Okay..SleepySleepy

"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 10:09
At the time of writing bochgoch in his post, which was a very good one, is shown as having made zero posts. That's rather clever, though I assume rider was at the bottom of it.

Originally posted by bochgoch

Kingdom of England (927-1707)

From the Roman withdrawal from Britain in 410-411, Wales was an assemblage of independent Kingdoms (mainly, Deheubarth, Gwynedd, Powys, Brycheiniog, Morgannwg and Gwent) and not a part of England prior to the Norman invasion of Southern Britain that commenced in 1066.

Whilst these Kingdoms were by no means continually independent, for example,Hywel Dda  (Hywel the Good), formed Deheubarth from various smaller kingdoms, extended his rule over most of Wales by 942, upon his death his sons were able to retain control of Deheubarth but lost much of the rest of his kingdom.

It wasnt until 1093 and the death of Rhys ap Tewdwr of Deheubarth that Wales was finally conquered by the Normans.

So I'd say you somehow need to reflect the Kingdoms of Wales at least until 1093...

Edited by gcle2003 - 13-May-2007 at 10:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>