Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crocodile Vs. Shark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crocodile Vs. Shark
    Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 16:26
Posted above (by ranjithvnambiar) were these words;

"While a great white tries to rip off whatever comes in its jaw ,a saltwater croc will crush whatever is caught between its jaws.."

Yes, this seems correct, but if a typical shark is made mostly of muscle and fat, with a soft bone structure called cartilage, then what is there to crush?

It seems that if blood loss or death via asphixiation does not happen, and the Crock releases the Shark (to take another bite or breath?), then the Shark is temporally at least, free to return to the attack mostly unharmed!

But, if the shark takes a big bite from the soft underbellie of the Crock and removes a large piece, then the Crock will soon die!

Crushing and submerging prey (to drown them) is one thing! But a Crock has to breathe also?

Perhaps, for our fun time, we should also interject the Hippo into the brawls? Shark, Croc and Hippo in a free for all?

So let's have a 22 foot White Shark and a 22 foot salty Croc, and a 15 foot long Hippo, all kept hungry and placed in a pool of water that varies from 40 feet deep to shallow water, and let the fun began?

It would definately be a hit on You-tube!

I'll throw the cabbages, crippled seals and bloodied mullet in first!
Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 28-Oct-2010 at 16:33
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
ranjithvnambiar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2010 at 05:03
Originally posted by opuslola

Posted above (by ranjithvnambiar) were these words;

"While a great white tries to rip off whatever comes in its jaw ,a saltwater croc will crush whatever is caught between its jaws.."

Yes, this seems correct, but if a typical shark is made mostly of muscle and fat, with a soft bone structure called cartilage, then what is there to crush?

It seems that if blood loss or death via asphixiation does not happen, and the Crock releases the Shark (to take another bite or breath?), then the Shark is temporally at least, free to return to the attack mostly unharmed!

But, if the shark takes a big bite from the soft underbellie of the Crock and removes a large piece, then the Crock will soon die!

Crushing and submerging prey (to drown them) is one thing! But a Crock has to breathe also?

Perhaps, for our fun time, we should also interject the Hippo into the brawls? Shark, Croc and Hippo in a free for all?

So let's have a 22 foot White Shark and a 22 foot salty Croc, and a 15 foot long Hippo, all kept hungry and placed in a pool of water that varies from 40 feet deep to shallow water, and let the fun began?

It would definately be a hit on You-tube!

I'll throw the cabbages, crippled seals and bloodied mullet in first!
Regards,

You mean to say a 5000psi bite will do nothing to a shark...?
Human thigh also consists of muscles and flesh centre of which is a single bone.I you place your thigh on an anvil and then hit it with a 10kg hammer nothing will happen to your thigh ..right..?
Or say you place your thighs in a bench vice and then close it fully.. and afterwards release it fully..Nothing will happen to your thigh..? 
well great imagination!!!!!
And about crocs breathing ..I hope this link will be useful

It says if pressed a croc can remain underwater for 2 hours..

Apart from that a shark is known to rip off parts of the prey's body which fits its mouth or goes inside its mouth..in case it cannot engulf the part it will just maul it and not rip off.Seals and  other sharks which are bitten  and engulfed by the great white are known to be torn into pieces but not bigger preys whose size is bigger than the radius of the shark's mouth.
So ripping off the belly of a croc is a possibility that we can think of but not a reality.How can a shark ripp of a croc's belly which is much bigger than its mouth.
A croc's mouth is entirely different fron that of a shark it is long narrow and can hold on to substances whose dia is more than 3 feet 

And many cases are recorded in which Orcas or killer whales preyed upon great whites by inducing tonic immobility in great whites by holding and keeping them still for 15 minutes causing it to suffocate and then proceeds to eat the liver of the dead shark.
So immobility is likely to kill the shark.

And if a Hippo also is included in the scenario as mentioned by you then both croc and shark are in real danger.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2010 at 18:59

I think the crocodile win, because I can just see in the picture that the crocodile ate the shark. The crocodile is one of the dangerous one EVER!Unhappy

ranjithvnambiar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2010 at 08:13
A 20feet long maneater Nile crocodile from Burundi is known to have killed and devoured an adult Hippo.The crocodile is notorius and is known as Gustave.

MillerA View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MillerA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 11:36
To be fair that's a pretty small shark and was probably hindered when in the crocodile's habitat. Regardless, I think a crocodile would win in almost all cases. It's weight and protective skin would make it difficult for a shark's teeth to penetrate. There's a video on youtube of a medium sized shark getting killed my an octopus of the same size. I'm not more scared of an octopus than I am a shark when I go snorkeling.
scottaleger View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote scottaleger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2011 at 06:01
Shark is more danger. 
josephG View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote josephG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2011 at 02:07
Crocodile vs. Shark? I'm sure the shark is going to be the winner. What you said are all right, it is true that crocodile will die after a one big bite of a shark but the shark is not going to be killed by a small bites of crocodile. This whole scenario suggests that sharks are the true kings of the sea, however, this fact doesn't spared those sea mammals from experiencing man's cruelty. Now, there are many mysterious shark deaths. The proof is here: Dead shark mysteries pile up in 2011.   
Beefheart View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Beefheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2011 at 17:48
I vote the Great White over the Salty.

I believe the Great White will rarely present opportunity to the Salty.

But if the Salty is crossing the seas, Great Whites hunt their prey from below and can even ram their prey like a runaway locomotive. The Great White can disembowel a Salty with those Ginsu lined choppers in a single bite.

Saltys are the masters of the river and swamps but Great Whites are the masters of the oceans and seas.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2011 at 22:30
^

I agree.  Also crocodiles kill by rolling over on their prey in shallow waters and drowning it.  That technique is not going to work in the open ocean.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123