Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest king of the Dark Age

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Who do you think is the Greatest King of the dark age ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [23.85%]
5 [3.85%]
3 [2.31%]
2 [1.54%]
2 [1.54%]
2 [1.54%]
28 [21.54%]
2 [1.54%]
1 [0.77%]
11 [8.46%]
43 [33.08%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest king of the Dark Age
    Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 13:17
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by Unknown

Constantine XI had the chance to live free and to surrender the holy town of constantinople to Jihadis, but he prefer to stand up and fight till the bitter end. He should be a symbol for every european and westerner.

What if he had surrendered without a single fight and muslim ottomans would be carry on their jihad in northern europe? Who would stop them? The siege of constantinople delayed the muslim conquest of Europe, they had to take over the empire of pontos and other Greek kingdoms which created some delay on the plans to turn europe into a caliphate.

You are offensive on a comedic level, your posts are full of idiotic claim that have no backing. "Jihadis" I do not see how you make parallels between Ottoman troops and I presume Al-Queada,  who at this point have been multi religous (Serbian cavlarly served very well in Ottoman campaigns - they were Christains) There were other Christains too serving the Ottoman sultan and recieving lands and titles without converting.

Serbian cavalry serving well to the Ottomans?
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 13:27
I would pick Charlemagne, because he was the first king who actually somewhat brought civilization back to Western Europe, unfortunately, his succesors were weak and divided. Justinian was great also, but he expande the empire too fast in my opinion, it caused a major strain on the economy.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 14:07
Knut, of the single reason I wanted to even out the scores a little.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 14:40
Confession: I may have voted for Attila thirthy times.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 15:41
it was between Charlemagne & Attila

but I think Attila shocked the world more.

But Charlemagne structured west & central europe

Attila won Thumbs%20Up
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 18:29
Originally posted by Reginmund

[ Yes, and he was not the only one either. However, as Emperor he was still in theory and practice the dominant figure inside that city. And definetly not a "hero" of the free world.

No, but he was a hero of the Christian world of the 15th century, and later he became a powerful icon in the Greek war for independence from the Ottoman Empire.

Again neither of those circumstances have anything to do with the "free world," therefore, such terminology is faulty and your defence of it is questionable. If he had said either of the two then that would have been a completely different matter. To compare any part of the world in that time with a modern concept such as the "free world" is an absolute fallacy.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 18:40

Was it Mehmet that prayed to hallah into a christian church or not after conquering constantinople?

Did he convert the churches of constantinople into mosques or not? including the largest christian orthodox church in the world! If those are not part of Jihad then what are they?

In addition there is a term called Devsirme, have a look on it, in english is called "blood tax"! Have a look on it to see how muslims were treating their christian dhimmis.
Surely they were christians, especially the top priests, since they had many benefits from coperating with muslims.

Was it not the Spanish that converted the Islamic mosques in Spain? Was it not the Greeks that did much the same after independence. Was it not that a major part of muslim residents of the Balkans were persecuted and slaughtered? Yes. We can all play the blame game, and guess what it does not get us anywhere.

Mehmet was a monotheist, a muslim, and as a muslim he had a connection to Christianity. Unlike Umar he chose to pray at a christian Church. However, at that time Constantinople had been defeated and depopulated already. There were enslavements and further depopulation as with any other siege by any other power of the period. Furthermore, he is accounted with freeing and repopulating the city with substantial numbers of Byzantines as well. Nevertheless these buildings were obsolete in a city now more and more populated by Muslims, converting them was a natural step, and one of the reasons they were preserved into the modern day. Much the same as in Spain. The Muslims were a dwindling population especially after the monarchy issued decrees against them. What else but to convert them to Churches then. It was a natural step. Similar things happen worldwide.

However, Umar entered Jersualem as a city that still retained a majority Christian population, and he chose not to pray at the Church in order not to set up a prescedent for future muslims who may use it as a reason to steal church property.

The same is accorded by Salah ad-Din when Jerusalem fell to his forces. He let the greedy bishop get away with tons of gold that could have been used to free more citizens. He did not want to set any prescedents.

"top priests" did not fight. Top nobles and minor nobles who could afford to retain a horse, and to train fought. They recieved the same land grants as Muslims.

Your knowledge of the period is mediocre at best, offensive at worst. Read up on actual history of both the Byzantine state, and the Ottoman.

Osman's Dream is a good start, as is Treadgold's book on Byzantium.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 18:41
The biography by Poole for further information on Salah ad-Din.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 18:43
Originally posted by Yugoslav

Constantine XI had the chance to live free and to surrender the holy town of constantinople to Jihadis, but he prefer to stand up and fight till the bitter end. He should be a symbol for every european and westerner.

What if he had surrendered without a single fight and muslim ottomans would be carry on their jihad in northern europe? Who would stop them? The siege of constantinople delayed the muslim conquest of Europe, they had to take over the empire of pontos and other Greek kingdoms which created some delay on the plans to turn europe into a caliphate.

You are offensive on a comedic level, your posts are full of idiotic claim that have no backing. "Jihadis" I do not see how you make parallels between Ottoman troops and I presume Al-Queada,  who at this point have been multi religous (Serbian cavlarly served very well in Ottoman campaigns - they were Christains) There were other Christains too serving the Ottoman sultan and recieving lands and titles without converting.

Serbian cavalry serving well to the Ottomans?

Yes. The Serbs were not one entire state at the time. Many principalities became vassals in the late 1300s. What do vassals do... much the same as in any client-patron system they assist the patron. At the siege of Constantinople and agaisnt the Crusade sent before the siege they served well in attaining a Ottoman victory.

Other than that you could see the same with the Byzantine state that had become a vassal to the Ottomans and was required to serve with the Sultan in military endevours.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 21:07

Again neither of those circumstances have anything to do with the "free world," therefore, such terminology is faulty and your defence of it is questionable. If he had said either of the two then that would have been a completely different matter. To compare any part of the world in that time with a modern concept such as the "free world" is an absolute fallacy.

Yes, and I never supported it as such, I was merely pointing out his importance, largely symbolical though it may be.

Yes. The Serbs were not one entire state at the time. Many principalities became vassals in the late 1300s. What do vassals do... much the same as in any client-patron system they assist the patron. At the siege of Constantinople and agaisnt the Crusade sent before the siege they served well in attaining a Ottoman victory.

Serbian heavy cavalry played a decisive part in the defeat of the crusaders at Nicopolis in 1396 as well, where they broke the seemingly unstoppable charge of the French knights by riding them down when they were fighting uphill and on foot.

It wasn't always so though; not even a decade before the battle of Nicopolis the Serbians clashed with the Ottomans in the battle of Kosovo, where the Ottomans won a pyrrhic victory and were able to reduce the Serbs to vassalage.

Edited by Reginmund - 28-Nov-2007 at 21:14
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 22:36

Charles Martel was a king??? Oh dear, and I thought he was just the Morovingian king's Major Domus... Smile

Now, seriously. I've chose Charlemagne (Martel's grandson) because of his impact upon Western Europe's culture and politics.
The Franks were the most successful barbarians as they united the old Roman ways to the new German culture. One can say that Charlemagne, as a continuator, or rather, an improver of the Merovingians, did contribute to the creation of the new, Medieval Europe. Under the Carolingians culture rose to new standards (some even refer to a Renascence, specialy under Otto I, one of Charles' successors).
Politicaly he's also very important, first of all because he united Central Europe (France, Germany and Northern Italy) under a revised "Roman Empire" whose main characteristic was thet it was "Holy". This changed it all because from now on a king (or Emperor) had to be a Christian and moreover, he hand to stand up for the Christian faith. The Roman Emperor was a protector of the Church, but not a subservient protector, not just a mere bellatore, but an equal vis-a-vis the Pope. From this idea to the idea of Cesaropapism and the political divide in Germany and Italy between Guelfs and Gibelines was but a mere step.
And, after all, when one looks at the EU nowadays, how cannnot recall Charles' Empire, now much more enlarged?

Edited by Sikander - 28-Nov-2007 at 22:56
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 06:31

Yes, and I never supported it as such, I was merely pointing out his importance, largely symbolical though it may be.

Serbian heavy cavalry played a decisive part in the defeat of the crusaders at Nicopolis in 1396 as well, where they broke the seemingly unstoppable charge of the French knights by riding them down when they were fighting uphill and on foot.

It wasn't always so though; not even a decade before the battle of Nicopolis the Serbians clashed with the Ottomans in the battle of Kosovo, where the Ottomans won a pyrrhic victory and were able to reduce the Serbs to vassalage.

They had already lost before Kosovo, which played a more symbolic role than anything.

The Ottomans were a state and like any state they employed tactics and soldiers that worked best for furthering their own goals. Once fully established and once Egypt had been taken the state became more Islamic in ideology. I guess in a way a parallel between Constantine's Empire and Theodosius' where one accepted and promoted Christianity, while the other made it the official, and in some ways look upon it to legitimize his rule.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 12:07

They had already lost before Kosovo, which played a more symbolic role than anything.

Please explain this. I'm not an expert on the Balkans in this period by any means, but every source I've read on it (books on the Crusades, Byzantium and Wikipedia articles on the Ottoman wars) emphasise the importance of the battle of Kosovo, as just two years previous the Ottomans had suffered a reverse at the hands of the Serbians in the battle of Plocnik, and with the victory at Kosovo they were finally able to weaken the Serbian position.

When you say the Serbians had already lost, are you thinking of the dissolvment of the Serbian "empire" and the defeat of the Serbian army at Maritsa in 1371? Even if these were serious reverses for the Serbians, I get the impression the Ottomans weren't able to reduce the Serbians to vassalage until after Kosovo, and even with the victory at Kosovo the Serbians remained in partial control of the city.

Edited by Reginmund - 29-Nov-2007 at 12:09
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 20:46
I am not saying that Kosovo was not completely un-important, however, previous losses such as the dissolvement of the Empire had been key in Ottoman predominance over Serbian principalities. I have read similar things too; however, the thing is that many books simplify the situation because they do not particulary pay much attention to the situation due to other priorities. I believe in Osman's dream, a new publication AFAIK that1 they touch upon the issue alongside local vernacular works. The situation in the South Eastern Balkans was very intricate. Legallly and to some degree practically too the Bosnian King Tvrtko I had gained the Title of King of Serbs already, and control over Western principalities. It was him too that legally was the commander of the battle,(Lazar's role not disputed, however, was much embelished through Serbian mythology evolving out of the battle). Bosnia for the time being had been saved first by that attack on Serbia, Tvrtko's personal ability, and the battle of Plocknick where Tvrtko's Bosnian forces with Serbian and Bulgarian contigents defeated the Ottomans. After 1371 the Serbian kingdom's independence had been extinguished alongside vassalage for the Bulgarian monarchy. 2
"It confirmed Bulgaria's status as a vassal-state to the Turks and destroyed the independent South Serbian kingdom, whose new ruler, Marko Kraljevic, became a vassal of the sultan. Macedonia and ultimately the remainder of the Balkan Peninsula were exposed to Turkish conquest."3

1 - Finkle, Caroline. Osman's Dream.

2 -
Turnbull, Stephen R. The Ottoman Empire 1326-1699

3 -
Britannica
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 21:31
What about great African kings of the dark ages? And not northern Africa. I am talking about more of heatland africa. There were great kings doing great things down there too in this time period ya know!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 21:34
Plocknick was a Bosnian led battle, Serbs served as a secondary allied force of the King of Serbs Bosnia... Tvrtko I.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 21:35
As Lazar had been Prince, and Plocnik if I am correct had been under control of Tvrtko I
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 21:36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Plo%C4%8Dnik
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 11:55

I always thought to say that the Serbs and their allies won a Pyrrhic victory at Amsfeld in 1389 - with their victory being so devastating that they even largely became Ottoman vassals afterwards.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 12:34
Originally posted by Yugoslav

I always thought to say that the Serbs and their allies won a Pyrrhic victory at Amsfeld in 1389 - with their victory being so devastating that they even largely became Ottoman vassals afterwards.

From what I can gather it seems it comes down to how you want to look at it. We don't have any exact casualty numbers, except that they were extremely high on both sides, and both sides also lost their leaders; Lazar and Murad. No matter the outcome of the actual battle though, the Serbians certainly lost the war.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>