Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Viking historical achievements.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viking historical achievements.
    Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 13:08
Nice pics!  Thanks.

Have you seen this one?:

It's huge.  Does it look big enough to carry mini boats like in the other painting?

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 13:20
Yeah, that one is a lot bigger.... Is that the Oseberg ship?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 16:52
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I'm not sure.

It's much better than a trireme for rapid deep sea crossings & amphibious landings.

Edited by Hellios - 17-Oct-2006 at 00:45
Vikingrage View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Vikingrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 22:35
I want to go for a Ride. That would be so kickass to get some friends, train combat together, get ready for adventure and vacation, meet some new ladies (lol) and come back richer then before you had left (Plunder.) Ahh, man those were the good ol days werent they.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 03:07
Eeehm no, they were not. Life before penecilline was no fun at all. The flue was a deadly disease. A scratch could kill you by bloodpoisoning. Painrelief consisted of drinking a lot, and have you any idea what an enormous hangover mead gives you the next day? Trust me, I do.
Oh, and central heating, do not underestimate central heating when you live in a country that is snowed in each winter.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 05:41

It's called the Svea Viking and is usually anchored in front of the Stockholm castle and used as a restaurant. It's not a replica, just a big-ass boat built as a longship. Longships in that size actually did exist though, Olaf Tryggvasson's Long Serpent for example, was 10-25% longer than this ship.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 17-Oct-2006 at 05:49
Vikingrage View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Vikingrage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 02:06

Eeehm no, they were not. Life before penecilline was no fun at all. The flue was a deadly disease. A scratch could kill you by bloodpoisoning. Painrelief consisted of drinking a lot, and have you any idea what an enormous hangover mead gives you the next day? Trust me, I do.
Oh, and central heating, do not underestimate central heating when you live in a country that is snowed in each winter.

We are the creators of our own tolerances. Can you roll around in the snow naked and have fun? I cant even enjoy an Ice cold bath. But back in the day where those things had not been created yet, it was LIFE! And to prevent your hangovers, Drink a cup of water for every 1-2 shots of alcohol you consume, you will wake up feeling great. Vikings knew how to survive, I know if someone stuck me in the woods in winter with a pocket knife, Id probably die in a few days.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 03:46
Big smile I do not consume my alcohol in shots... over here it comes in glasses. And the water does not help when drinking mead! I tell you, the stuff is nasty! Tastes good though...

And sorry, I do not believe people liked cold better 1000 years ago. They had to endure it, they had little choice, and they probably were more accustomed to it, but I do not believe they liked it...

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 05:47
They didn't like the cold back then. We still bath in holes in the ice or roll in the snow for fun occasionally - it is still LIFE - but that doesn't mean we like being covered with snow 5-6 months a year (at least I do not).

And no matter how much water you drink, a bad brew can give you a bad hangover ;)

Edited by Styrbiorn - 19-Oct-2006 at 05:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123