Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racism towards Gypsies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racism towards Gypsies
    Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 17:59
Originally posted by Giannis

Are Roma people and gypsies the same race?

Basically yes, although it seems a bit more complicated than that. The term "Roma" applied for all Gypsy people is not without controversy amongst the Gypsies themselves. I believe there are some tribal differences, however most of the Gypsy community in Central Europe call themselves "Roma" and the term is now in Germany, at least,  used as the official designation of their community, as the word "Zigeuner (=Gypsy)" is understood as insulting.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 18:24
With one exception.

Irish Gypsies are not Roma and only took to the road about two centuries ago. As far as I know they are only found in Britain and Ireland.

Generally speaking Irish gypsies have a worse reputation than Roma ones, see the movie Snatch.

Also there's a lot of prejudice towards them by Roma gypsies who are very snooty towards them and think of them as imitation gypsies. A couple of months ago in the uk there was a big confrontation when a groups of Roma and Irish gypsies moved into adjacent campsites, shooting broke out and someone was killed.

Edited by Paul - 06-Jun-2006 at 18:26
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 18:30

I also heard that gypsies are of Egyptian origin (egyptian-gypsy), it makes some sense.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 18:32

Irish gypsies make headlines most romas dont, also the demeanor of the former is one that radiates volatility and caution, a personal observation. Although i admit i haven't met any Roma.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 18:46

I also heard that gypsies are of Egyptian origin (egyptian-gypsy), it makes some sense.

The Roma, without any doubt, stem from the Indian sub-continent, and not from Egypt.
Europeans, not knowing where they came from, called them "gypsies" as that was probably the most exotic location they could imagine, in the same way the bird "turkey" got its name in the English language.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 19:18
Gigi, one of my best friends said: "They're talking too much!!!". He's a G/rR or whatever but most of all he wants to be considered a human being. Just like we others do. He's bearing a darker skin than mine but he surely wears a pale complection when compared to my frien Badinga, from Congo.
Are they a bunch of outlaws? Some of them certainly are, bug that doesn't mean that we are saints?.
My opinion is that they are just misunderstood, and they are bearing this lot for some centuries. I guess it's time for us to share that lot too.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 07:57
I started a thread on their origins here and will add more research later

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 08:12

Gypsies are great, they live a non-materialistic life, love singing, dancing, the arts and are real contributers to culture.   Their laid back, relaxed approach to life is the way it was meant to be.

We just can't tolerate them because were trapped in the system, like controlled robots who believe that success = money and working 9-5 like programmed robots taught not to question and think about the system just accept it and condemn anybody who doesn't.

Gypsies are free, we are trapped, that's the reality and all this racism and bigotry against them stems from not being able to accept differences.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 10:43
Originally posted by Bulldog

Gypsies are great, they live a non-materialistic life, love singing, dancing, the arts and are real contributers to culture.   Their laid back, relaxed approach to life is the way it was meant to be.

We just can't tolerate them because were trapped in the system, like controlled robots who believe that success = money and working 9-5 like programmed robots taught not to question and think about the system just accept it and condemn anybody who doesn't.

Gypsies are free, we are trapped, that's the reality and all this racism and bigotry against them stems from not being able to accept differences.

My niece wants a fairy tale story book. Where did you get that, I want to buy it for her.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 11:03
LOL
Common don't you agree with just a little of it?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 20:17
That was probobly the funniest thing I have read in a long time. 
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 00:57
So gypos are wandering nomads who steel and Roma Gypsies are the ones from India????
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 01:41
Originally posted by Machine

So gypos are wandering nomads who steel and Roma Gypsies are the ones from India????

They certainly are renowned for their metal working skills.

Gypsies are a fascinating people. A migratory nomadic people who moved into an area and managed to co-exist with the original inhabitants. Thats pretty rare.
Many roma words and language is understandable to Urdu speakers.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 08:34
Yes but what i mean Omar is have they mixed in with the European population like the Jews.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 14:40
Gypsies are a fascinating people. A migratory nomadic people who moved into an area and managed to co-exist with the original inhabitants.

I think is fascinating when somebody from far read about them but it's not very pleasantful to meet or live among them. I live in a neighborhood dominated (like most of Bucarest perhaps) by them and this is my opinion. Nobody says something else.

They are no more migratory, lost their language. Some are rich, live in palaces (new built residences or old residences bought in the select areas of the cities) but the most are very poor and live very unigienical.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 14:57

That is true, there were weapon masters at ottomans and They were also stonemasters. Techonolgy destroyed most of their jobs.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 15:05
Originally posted by Mortaza

That is true, there were weapon masters at ottomans and They were also stonemasters. Techonolgy destroyed most of their jobs.

Yeah, they still visit my village to sell metal stoves like this one

mico5bei View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mico5bei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 20:39
Irish gypsis are trouble makers!
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 20:51
Originally posted by Komnenos

Are Roma people and gypsies the same race?

The term "Roma" applied for all Gypsy people is not without controversy amongst the Gypsies themselves. I believe there are some tribal differences, however most of the Gypsy community in Central Europe call themselves "Roma" and the term is now in Germany, at least,  used as the official designation of their community, as the word "Zigeuner (=Gypsy)" is understood as insulting.

In greek there are two words.
"Tsigani">atsigani>athigani>a(not)+thigano(touch)
possibly the german "zigeuner" is connected to this.

and (more insulting)
"Gyfti">egyftii>egyptii (Egyptians) =gypsies
probably by the color of their skin-also "gyfti" were called the swordsmiths.(cause of the dirt makes their skin darker)

I wonder about the etymology of the name they use to describe themselves:Roma
Does it mean anything in their indian/pakistani dialect,
or it is connected with Rome again somehow:

Romans=citizens of the city of Rome
Romji=Greek orthodox / Romani'a=Byzantium
Romanians=Wallachians,Moldavians,Transylvanians
Sultanate of Rum=Seljuks of Asia minor
Rum=name of greek cypriots and greek of Constantinople by the Turks
Holy Roman Empire
-----etc etc etc (well..a prestigious name! Smile)

Edited by Digenis - 12-Jun-2006 at 20:57
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 07:12
A sample of Gypsy music from Bulgaria. It is in the Gypsy language, which I do not understand (does anybody here understand it?).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2516788779559649045

ps: which is the city in the background?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>