Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finno-Ugrian impact on Russian ethnos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 29>
Author
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finno-Ugrian impact on Russian ethnos
    Posted: 27-Jan-2009 at 06:16
Be good or be gone.
Tuohikirje View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2009 at 18:45
Your point was what. What I thought after reading that article is that it is a very well known fact that e.g. Runes are impreted automatically as Germanic, if even something could have been opened in some way in Scandinavian language. The truth is that they cannot be read in Scandinavian languages only.  A lot of is missing and more research to be done. Gothland also is an important place in history, in Finnish Voionmaa, in Estonian Ojamaa and e.g. Livians are something worth to look at when talking about Gothland.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2009 at 05:19
The point was simply to identify the basis of your prior arguments.

Thus I observe that:

1. The FU languages seems to be the oldest in northern Eurasia.

Thus we may expect that the very oldest populations of central and/or eastern Eurasia have been populated by a FU-speaking peoples - all the way to Altai and Tocharia.
Later the southern Greek, Arab and Asian peoples migrated into the Siberian, Caucasian, Russian and Anatolian plains - which gradually made new languages, as modern Persian, Turkish and Slavonic establish according to the political realities of the post-roman (i.e. monotheistic) cultures. 

As you mention; the FU language still exists within smaller groups and in anchronisms across present Russia, from Carelia to eastern Siberia...

2. The runic alphabeths are the oldest writing-systems in Eurasia.
    Moreover it's the oldest known example of a phonetic alphabeth...

What the liked article shows is the extensive spread of the old rune-writing.
What Turgür and other litterates have shown lately is that this proto-type of the phonetic letters have been used by different language-groups. Thus the eastern and western runes have large similarities and still characteristic differences.

What my link argues is simply that they have a common origin. And nothing but that.

Edited by Boreasi - 28-Jan-2009 at 05:24
Be good or be gone.
Falchion View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Falchion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2009 at 18:19
Originally posted by Arekushii

Thus a clear fact that FU tribes were one of the main contributors to future Russian nation is obvious, genetics is useless: A RUSSIAN THINKS AND SPEAKS IN RUSSIAN, NOT IN FINNISH, SO THEY CANNOT BE FINNS.

That's almost a racist thing to say. Are you not aware that Russia is home to over a hundred different languages?
Here are the FU languages that are present in Russia and spoken by Russians
Like aeon you seem to be a little bit obsessed with Slavic supremacy in Russia because you're doing appear to be trying hard to deny the existence of indigenous minorities in Russia. They are just as Russian as anyone because Russia is a multiethnic nation with a very multiethnic history.

Edited by Falchion - 29-Jan-2009 at 18:21
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2009 at 23:09

Allmost 200 minority languages in Russia, out of which 6 groups over 1 mio speakers. 20% 28 mio) of the whole Russian population in total. However language is not 100% linked to peoples origin. Actually those figures were quite sad and show what happens when your passports are taken away or changed as a Russian passport or you cannot get any education or service in your language. I remember hearing that people had religious services in secret in their own language. Not to mention purges and gulags since the 1920's and so on. In 1944 when Finns reached again Lake Ääninen in the Continuation War, they noticed that whole population had been moved by Russians. There were only a few people left (Veps, if I remember correct). The same happened to large extent to Ingrians. Of course there are a lot of groups who have suffered from opression during ages. Basic human rights are not taken into account.

Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2009 at 06:39
So, what language do you think came first to Russia - the FU or the Slavic?

Edited by Boreasi - 02-Feb-2009 at 06:40
Be good or be gone.
Falchion View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Falchion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2009 at 17:25
Originally posted by Boreasi

Well since the proto-FU language is considered to have born in Russia thousands of years BC before the Slavic language group came to existence there's really not much question about that.
But it's not a fruitfull comparison because Slavic is a young subdivision of the IE group that is closer in age to the FU family.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 08:23
Originally posted by Falchion

Originally posted by Boreasi

Well since the proto-FU language is considered to have born in Russia thousands of years BC before the Slavic language group came to existence there's really not much question about that.
But it's not a fruitfull comparison because Slavic is a young subdivision of the IE group that is closer in age to the FU family.

If the FU was there first - it means that this population have accumulated the slavonic language as this was introduced to - or induced on - them. Or?

Thus the Russians - as other eastern populi - had to adapt to the new official language of the eastern empire - as their "lingua franca", the slavonic language and the cyrilian alphabeth - was imposed by the rulers of the "new, christian time".

Be good or be gone.
Torsten Stålhandske View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 18:02
Interesting discussion you have here. There seem to be some sort of confusion about the terminology used. Russians for some reason unknown to me, generalize all Finnic speakers as Finns. Even when we are speaking about very diverce group of modern and ancient ethnoses.

There also seem to be confusion about differentiating between the Rus' and modern ethnos Russian.

If by Finns one means Finnish people from Finland (which is the only proper designation for term Finn) then no, Russians are not Finns.

If one means do Russians have other ancestry than just eats Slavic speaking tribes (such as Polones or Drevlyans) answer is certainly yes. Many of these tribes were Finnic speakers.

Russians (modern ethnos) are, like everyone else, amalgamation of different tribes. Their contribution, I assume, varies a lot depending what part of huge Russia we are talking about.

The Very central of Muscowitia was in Merya (and Muroma) lands. Novgorod Republic was largely (but not only!) Finnic, even related to those tribes of Tavastians, Finns and Karelians whom later became the core of modern Finnish ethnicity.

The Rus' , whom gave their name to all of these different tribes, as Russian, were again another amalgamation.

Like someone allready pointed out their earliest capital was Aldeigjuborg of saga-literature, identified as modern day town of Staraya Ladoga. Aldeigju likely comes from Balto-Finnic Alajoki, literally. Low River. This is fine name for town located at the riverbank.

The Rus', as I allready wrote, were amalgamation of different tribes by their roots. There was two major components, one eastern Scandinavian, Old Norse-speaking and one Balto-Finnic. Also archeology of Staraya Ladoga backs these two groups.

Old Russian chronicles include two peace treaties between the Rus' and Byzant. Earlier from year 911 and later from 944. Names in these treaties also point out to dual origins of the Rus', as "Swedish+Finnish" tradeunion of sort.

Major Slavonic component was added to the Rus' ethnos during Kiovan Rus' period. Slavification of the Rus' can also been seeing from the later (944) agreement between the Rus' and Byzant. The Earlier one does not contain any Slavic names.

If we want to really digg into this we need to have strict chronology of different periods of Russia's history. I mean, we must not confuse modern Russia to Novgorod, Kiovan Rus', Muscowia etc, they different things. Also keep in mind that Russia is huge, many different people inhabited different parts.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 18:37
Dear Torsten Stalhandkse,

Welcome to All Empires !!! Big smile

By Finns in this topic we mean Finno-Ugric people in general, not just inhabitants of the modern Finnland.

By Russians, the inhabitant of the Eastern part of Kievan Rus, later Moscow Principality and or Moscovia and Russia proper are meant, since they obviously absobed the highest percentage of the Finnic influence compare to the Ancient Rus people residing in the Western and Southern part of that polity.

Could you also please clarify one of your points? These are the names from the first Rus treaty with the Byzantines of 911:

Карлы, Инегелд, Фарлаф, Веремуд, Рулав, Гуды, Руалд, Карн, Фрелав, Руар, Актеву, Труан, Лидул, Фост, Стемид

Karly, Inegeld, Farlaf, Veremud, Rulav, Gudy, Ruald, Karn, Frelav, Ruar, Aktevu, Truan, Lidul, Fost, Stemid.

Which one of those names has Finnic origin? I thought all of them are clearly Germanic.

These are the names from 944 treaty:

Вуефаст; Искусеви ; Слуды; Улеб ; Каницар ; Шихберн Сфандр ; Прастен Тудоров; Либиар Фастов; Грим Сфирьков; Прастен Акун ; Кары Тудков; Каршев Тудоров; Егри Евлисков; Воист Войков; Истр Аминодов; Прастен Бернов; Явтяг Гунарев; Шибрид Алдан; Кол Клеков; Стегги Етонов; Сфирка...; Алвад Гудов; Фудри Туадов; Мутур Утин; купцы Адунь, Адулб, Иггивлад, Улеб, Фрутан, Гомол, Куци, Емиг, Туробид, Фуростен, Бруны, Роальд, Гунастр, Фрастен, Игелд, Турберн, Моне, Руальд, Свень, Стир, Алдан, Тилен, Апубексарь, Вузлев, Синко, Борич.

Vuefast, Iskusevi, Sludy, Uleb, Kanitsar, Shihbern Sfandr, Prasten Tudorov, Libiar Fastov, Grim Sfrikov, Prasten Akun, Kary Tudkov, Karshev Tudorov, Egri Evliskov, Voist Voiov, Istr Aminodov, Prastern Bernov, Yavtyag Gunarev, Shibrid Aldan, Kol Klekov, Steggi Etonov, Sfirka; Alvad Gudov, Fandri Tuadov, Mutur Utin, merchants Adun, Adulb, Iggvlad, Uleb, Frutan, Gomol, Kutsi, Emig, Turobid, Furosten, Bruny, Roald, Gunastr, Frasten, Igeld, Turbern, Mone, Ruald, Sven, Aldan, Tilen, Apubeksar, Vuzlev, Sinko, Borich.

Here again I see mostly Germanic names, but already there are some Slavic and even Turkic (!) which ones of those you think are Finnic?

Many thanks!

Edited by Sarmat - 06-Feb-2009 at 18:49
Σαυρομάτης
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 19:13
Originally posted by Sarmat

Карлы, Инегелд, Фарлаф, Веремуд, Рулав, Гуды, Руалд, Карн, Фрелав, Руар, Актеву, Труан, Лидул, Фост, Стемид

Definitely Norse. In standardized Scandinavian that'd be (as far as I can tell):

Karl, Ingjald, Farulf/-leif?, Värmund, Hrolf, Gudi, Hroald, Kari? (mispelled и for н?), Fridleif, Hroald, Angantyr, Thrond, Lidulf, Fasti, ? (Stenvid maybe).

The 944 list looks like a Russo-Scandinavian hodge-podge.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 06-Feb-2009 at 19:16
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 19:39
I have the same expression. Karn ends with "n" though.
Σαυρομάτης
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 19:58
Originally posted by Sarmat

Dear Torsten Stalhandkse,

Welcome to All Empires !!! Big smile

By Finns in this topic we mean Finno-Ugric people in general, not just inhabitants of the modern Finnland.

Thanks for welcome! I think it is highly misleading using term Finn when actually referring to large linguistic groupping. Even, I have to say, most of the "Finnish" ancestry in Russia is from Finnic part of the groupping. We however do know lot of the tribes involved. I'll get to them later. For now, just quick comments!

By Russians, the inhabitant of the Eastern part of Kievan Rus, later Moscow Principality and or Moscovia and Russia proper are meant, since they obviously absobed the highest percentage of the Finnic influence compare to the Ancient Rus people residing in the Western and Southern part of that polity.

So the Merya lands then

Karly, Inegeld, Farlaf, Veremud, Rulav, Gudy, Ruald, Karn, Frelav, Ruar, Aktevu, Truan, Lidul, Fost, Stemid.

Which one of those names has Finnic origin? I thought all of them are clearly Germanic.

I will post better analyzis of the names later. Majority of them indeed are old East Norse, likely from tribe of Svear (annalistic Svei). However, Gudy and Aktevu of these are considered "Finnish" by majority of modern scholars. Another thing to keep on mind is that many old Balto-Finnic names were modelled after old Norse fashion. Names such as Kauko-Valta etc.

Vuefast, Iskusevi, Sludy, Uleb, Kanitsar, Shihbern Sfandr, Prasten Tudorov, Libiar Fastov, Grim Sfrikov, Prasten Akun, Kary Tudkov, Karshev Tudorov, Egri Evliskov, Voist Voiov, Istr Aminodov, Prastern Bernov, Yavtyag Gunarev, Shibrid Aldan, Kol Klekov, Steggi Etonov, Sfirka; Alvad Gudov, Fandri Tuadov, Mutur Utin, merchants Adun, Adulb, Iggvlad, Uleb, Frutan, Gomol, Kutsi, Emig, Turobid, Furosten, Bruny, Roald, Gunastr, Frasten, Igeld, Turbern, Mone, Ruald, Sven, Aldan, Tilen, Apubeksar, Vuzlev, Sinko, Borich.

Iskusevi, Voist (and Voik), Emig (Jemig actually, compare to tribe of Yem aka Tavastians) and so on. I'll get to this later in more detail if you wish. Iskusevi by the way was ambassador of Princess Olga, he was important guy apparently.

Edited by Torsten Stålhandske - 06-Feb-2009 at 19:59
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 21:40
I'm impressed with your knowledge of Russian history.

Ok, I agree that the name of the thread might not be perfect so, I've just changed it to a more sophisticated wording. Smile
Σαυρομάτης
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 21:57
Few more notes about Aldeigju from Gwyn Jones marvelous: History of the Vikings, Oxford University Press p. 251 - 254

A Good deal about Aldeigjuborg will remain puzzling till the early cemetary is found and excavated. Meanwhile we are aware of a great many burial mounds in the Ladoga-Onega area, along the rivers Volkhov, Sias, Pascha, Ojat and Svir. The four hundred or so of these which have been examined speak of Finnish and Swedish traders and colonizers. The Reason for their presence here rather than elsewhere will be apparent if we follow in the track of those men who set out from Sweden, Gotland and Finland, to seek a profit, living, even in the new land.

There is convincing archeological evidence of early Swedish and Finnish initiative along the river-routes from Lake Ladoga right down to Gnezdovo-Smolensk and from Lake Onega to Rostov and Murom.

There also is evidence for "autochtonous" component amongst the early Rus', these people still exist and they are called the Veps (annalistic Ves'). It seems like the name Rus' indeed comes from their language and literally means colour red. Some one allready pointed out that colour red was associated with welth. Red pigment for clothing was expensive and your average Joe certainly could not afford it. The Word behind the term Rus' is Ruskie, red, but also handsome, good looking. Parallel between red and good looking is not too hard to figure out when we remember that red clothing was a way to show prestige status in society.

However, I dont think these Rus' left any major component to genetic structure of modern Russians. Other Finnic-people, ones like the Chud' and the Merya certainly did.

Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 22:04
Why Kari would be mispelled? The name is found in Runes also (Östergötland). Kari is a man's name in Finland. Also kari is an islet in a river or lake, Veps kar, originally borrowed from Old Norse sker propably. I'm not a professional in linguistic research however.
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 22:10
You are correct. Kari is found on several runestones, it is not mispelled.

Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 22:24
I suspect that the greated impact to Russian ethnos from Finnic peoples would be Merya.

Lets have a look at the primary chronicle (Povest') who lived in the whereabouts during 1100 when it was compiles:

In the share of Japheth lie Russia, Chud, and all the Gentiles: Meria, Muroma, Ves, Mordova, Chud beyond the hills, Perm, Pechera, Yam, Ugra, Litva, Zimegola, Kors, Setgola, and Liub

Allmost all of the tribes are Finno-Ugric ( few are Baltic).

Merya are especially interesting when speaking about the early days. They had several rather big cities or towns, such as Sarskoye (Pre-Rostov) and Timerevo (Pre-Yaroslavl).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeryovo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarskoe_Gorodishche

These places were very important trading centers on the route to Volga. From Volga the trade route extended to Volga Bolgharia and onwards all the way to Baghdad.

It's important to notice that most of the burials found on those places belong to native Merya, not the trader mercenary Rus'. When the trade routes during Kiovan Rus' period led more towards Byzant their status was slowly erased. However the people did not go anywhere, they staid. I suspect that if are to find major Finno-Ugric component in modern (Great) Russian ethnos it would be Merya.

Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 22:52
Meryan influence according to traces could be interpreted influential. Meryans and their holy animal the beaver. What I remember wondering is that their dialect would have been near to Sami. Meryans and Scandinavians at that time lived along peacefully, no evidence of violent clashes, according to what is figured.

Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 23:42
Kari and Karn (would fit Finno-Ugric), definitely there are FU people among names. I would like to remind that how the names were given, written, who wrote and when has to be considered. They do not reveal the ethnicity. Clearly you can see the Slavic and (Orthodox?) influence in the latter list allready.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 29>