Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIslam and Christianity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam and Christianity
    Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 11:52

maju qoute- Anyhow, as I say the problem lies in the OT: no Abraham, no problem.

No Sara, no problem.  I am female and I really don`t like to blame the female, but in this case all because she was afraid she would`nt have a child.

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 13:37
Originally posted by gcle2003

Both Islam and Christianity are proselytising religions, actively seeking converts, unlike other religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, or even Judaism.

Since both religions see it as their mission to convert the world, their clash is inevitable.

Yes it makes sense to me, the both religions are old rivals.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 15:04
Originally posted by Maziar

And if you try to change your faith from islam to anyother religion, you will be sentenced to death.

I'm not sure if this happens in your country, but where else does this happen exactly?
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 19:16

i believe judaism,  christianity and islam are  working on the same engine

islam is a newer version of christianity(like xp)

also cristianity was a newer version of judaism(win 98)

judaism(win 95) was a newer version of abrahamic logic(win. 3,1)

i thing the messiah(the christ)(win visita)will solve all problems...

as a xp user i am waiting for win. visita 

Edited by alperen
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 20:26

Originally posted by Ikki

i think VII century when the muslims born and attack to the christians, and the XIII century when the effects of the crusades was evident can be examples of total war; i can remember times of total peace...first half of the XX century?.

I think it is historically incorrect to mark the conquest of early Muslim Empires against the Christian kingdoms as an attack on Christianity. We can argue about if they have the right to occupy a land or not, however, the fact that you have Christians in almost every Muslim countries that extend as far as 1300 years without any interruption of their existance, while Spain couldn't held its promise to respect Muslim population existance more than 118 years, is a clear example that Muslims never inteneded to fight Christian population or terminate their existance. You can say Muslim Empires fought Christian Empires, but population wise, It is almost hard to point out examples of conquest of Christian lands where Christian were outcasted in a mass exile. As the point has been made, no need for me to criticize the situation on the other side.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 21:08

Peaceful co-existence between such radically opposite doctrines is impossible. The two religions may temporarily compromise but on a long run  it is all a mirage to fool the naive.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 00:32

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

Peaceful co-existence between such radically opposite doctrines is impossible. The two religions may temporarily compromise but on a long run  it is all a mirage to fool the naive.

well technically you can look into the differences, or into the similarities. One thing that we can all agree on, is that differences should not entice us to get into conflict. There are many beautiful examples of centuries of co-existance and it is not a mirage if you like to participate in such co-existance. Muslims and Christians and Jews co-existed peacefully in Spains for centuries. It does not have to be a dead history, nowadays in the Senegal, Muslims appreciate Christmas while Catholic celebrate the Hajj Eid of the Muslims too.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 01:01
well technically you can look into the differences, or into the similarities

... or you can ignore both...

... the religions I mean.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 01:05
Originally posted by docyabut

maju qoute- Anyhow, as I say the problem lies in the OT: no Abraham, no problem.

No Sara, no problem.  I am female and I really don`t like to blame the female, but in this case all because she was afraid she would`nt have a child.

Bah. That's a legend: take it with a grain of salt. We don't know if Abraham, Sara and family are more real than, let's say, Atlas.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 01:10

Originally posted by Maju

You mean preaching secularism or Athiesm? Because secularism will not deminish the differences. Athiesm preaching does not guarantee that too necessarily. You just cannot remove differences by forcing a third option. Albania failed to remove the religious differences after decades of Athiest rule. Yoguslavia failed to supress the ethnic identities causing 1971 Croatian uprising and the following breakup of 1980's.

D.J. Kaufman
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 05:50
Originally posted by alperen

Switch to a Mac. Or Linux.

docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 07:36

Please correct me if I`m wrong, `I`m not a expert in religions. however the way I understand the conflict and the myth is over a little piece of land. and to put it real simple,

When Sara was afraid she would not have a child made Abraham commit  adulterly with Hagor who had Ishmael. Then when Sara had Isaac  became jeaously and had Abraham kick Hagor and her son out of the camp who then went to Paran. Then abraham  sacrficed Isaac and God promise the land , however in Islam it was Ishmael that was the son that was sacrificed. So the conflict is really all about brother against brother till this day,  over their  father`s tomb and land.

Jesus in his mission knew the future conflict and died for the law of forgiveness, and peace. In revelations Jesus peace will come into the land . I believe Mohaman as a prophet also taught the laws of future peace. ,all though I not familer with the Koran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paran

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 08:08
Originally posted by alperen

LOL! Microsoft is the problem then...

Long life to Linux...

... and GNU ...

Do it yourself, don't pay royalties to Micrologic...

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 08:13
Originally posted by ok ge

Originally posted by Maju

You mean preaching secularism or Athiesm? Because secularism will not deminish the differences. Athiesm preaching does not guarantee that too necessarily. You just cannot remove differences by forcing a third option. Albania failed to remove the religious differences after decades of Athiest rule. Yoguslavia failed to supress the ethnic identities causing 1971 Croatian uprising and the following breakup of 1980's.

I couldn't find the link now but the most recent poll on religion in Albania said that most are agnostic. CIA has outdated data.

Anyhow, I promote rather western system: all is open to discussion but reliogious doctrine and praxis is not excluded.

In practical terms that means leaving religion for home, temple and spaces of philosophy (taverns, classrooms, etc.)

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 08:20
Originally posted by docyabut

Please correct me if I`m wrong, `I`m not a expert in religions. however the way I understand the conflict and the myth is over a little piece of land. and to put it real simple,

When Sara was afraid she would not have a child made Abraham commit  adulterly with Hagor who had Ishmael. Then when Sara had Isaac  became jeaously and had Abraham kick Hagor and her son out of the camp who then went to Paran. Then abraham  sacrficed Isaac and God promise the land , however in Islam it was Ishmael that was the son that was sacrificed. So the conflict is really all about brother against brother till this day,  over their  father`s tomb and land.

Jesus in his mission knew the future conflict and died for the law of forgiveness, and peace. In revelations Jesus peace will come into the land . I believe Mohaman as a prophet also taught the laws of future peace. ,all though I not familer with the Koran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paran

But you must believe that Jews and Arabs are actually descendants of those people. Mythic ancestors aren't necessarily real ancestors.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 08:43

maju qoute-But you must believe that Jews and Arabs are actually descendants of those people. Mythic ancestors aren't necessarily real ancestors.

In the religions the belief is everyone on earth came from the seed of Abraham,  However we know different today with evolution and DNA

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:10

In the religions the belief is everyone on earth came from the seed of Abraham,

wasnt he should be  Adam?

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:34
Originally posted by Mortaza

In the religions the belief is everyone on earth came from the seed of Abraham,

wasnt he should be  Adam?

Adam and Eve were "mythic" ancestors.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 10:08

only a branch of Arabs came from Abraham.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 11:03
Originally posted by azimuth

only a branch of Arabs came from Abraham.

So who was living in the Arab peninsula when Abraham was alive (assuming he was)?

If you accept the Genesis account, then one of Abraham's descendants was Israel, whose children became the Jews. But Genesis accepts that there were stacks of other peoples around at the time. Abraham himself was Chaldean (according to the Book), and not - obviously - one of the 'children of Israel'.

Actually the Abraham myth is not incompatible with a group of Chaldeans having migrated to Canaan and settled there. But they were by no means the only inhabitants.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>