Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Iranian Language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Does the Iranian language need to be revived?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [82.14%]
5 [17.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Iranian Language
    Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 09:13
Yes, it is. It's the highest point of Heaven.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 13:54
Originally posted by azimuth

Arabs can pronouce almost all the letters in the world, to make that part of your statment more correct you can say Arabs dont Have g in their Alphabet. so in writing these will be put as in J or k or gh.

and the pronounciation will change as per the writings,

i think its more confusing with the Farsi pronouncing many letters they write with.

Any human being can pronouns any sound of any other language with practice that is not build in the DNA but if they have said things a cretins way for a long time that would not be convenient for them to pronouns differently. There no g in Arabic alphabet because there is no g in Arabic and there is no need for a letter. Alphabets are normally build around languages not the other way around. Like there is no KH in English if a native English speaker practices enough he will be able to pronounce KH but when a word like Khalifah is borrowed from Arabic is changes to Caliph or Kaliph and pronounced with a K instead of KH

Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 18:20

farohar

I voted yes but I felt that I had to explain why, by voting yes I don't mean that Persian language is a dieing language (that would be ridicules) Imagine a language as a snowball rolling down a mountain, as it rolls it gets bigger and swallows everything on its way, by the time it stops it may be one gigantic hill which may not have the pure content, shape or size of its origin but it is in fact, the same snowball but with richer content, languages borrow words and that is how they develop. For a language to get to a richer level there are three choices:

1- Borrow foreign words: I have nothing against borrowing words but I feel they should be reduced to 10-15% per language, meaning if you have 10000 words borrowed from Arabic language it should be reduced to 1000-1500. We have to remember that many of the words that most think are Arabic, are in fact Persian words, so I would be careful calling every word Arabic, For example many would say that the word "sad" (hundred - 100 - written with 'st') is a Arabic word while it is actually a miswritten Persian word. "Sadeh festival"

or the word "dvar" (referee) used today, was used 15 centuries ago as ddvar (judge) but, then again 15 centuries ago Iranians didn't play football, so today we say ddras/qzi (judge).

2- Combine words: Best way but, one should be careful not to get too many long words that are hard to use.

3- Make artificial words: you have to start somewhere, I don't think the caveman really thought of this when he was saying "me hunt you cook". There are about 21952 combinations of 3 letter words (as a root word) you can make with Persian alphabet, however only 2904 of these are easy to pronounce and most of them are already in use. This number for pronounceable words in 4 letter words is 17424 and for five letter words 383328) so there are allot of possibilities here.

All this said, in the end people will decide what words to use.

Sabzevarian

UniPers is a great idea for a secondary language but on the other hand most Iranians know this alphabet already. I prefer reconstructing the existing alphabet because it's do-able, easy to adjust, fast to learn, keeps us close to our history and it does not damage Persian calligraphy. here is an idea:

Zagros

I don't mean to change the subject here but yes many words in the Qur'an are indeed of Iranian origin, like the word "din/deen" (religion) used in Qur'an Al-Baqara[2:256] Al-Imran[3:19], [3-24], [3-73], [3-83] and [3-85].

"Din/deen"(religion) is driven form the word "daena"

GOOD CONSCIENCE

Turning to the Zarathushtrian religion, the conscientious term, most probably coined and used first by the founder, Zarathushtra, is "Dan". It is derived from the Avestan root "di" or "dai" (Sanskrit "dhyai"), meaning to "see, view, perceive, contemplate, ponder, mediate" with a participle suffix "na". Dan means "conscience, discernment, insight", and of course, "religion". It is according to Zarathushtra, one's discerning insight that forms one's religion, in fact, conviction. The Indian term "dhyna", focusing of thoughts to comprehend a fact, meditation, is a cognate.

But while the Indian dhyana helps an individual to concentrate to promote his or her own individual mental faculty, the Zarathushtrian Daena unites all those who think, discern, and choose alike in one great fellowship of conviction -- the religion of Good Conscience, Dan Vanguhi-- founded, preached and promoted by Zarathushtra. Zarathushtra uses the term Daena for a total of 26 times in his sublime songs, the Divine Gathas.

Zoroastrianism

Ahura Mazda is the beginning and the end, the creator of everything which can and cannot be seen, the Eternal, the Pure and the only Truth. Zoroastrian morality is summed up in the simple phrase, "Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds". Daena (din in modern Persian) is the eternal Law, whose order was revealed to humanity through the Mathra-Spenta "Holy Words". Daena has been used to mean religion, faith, law, even as a translation for the Buddhist and Hindu term Dharma: it is the correct order of the universe, which humanity naturally must follow through the Kusti "Holy Path" in order to be a Behdini "Follower of the Proper/Good Religion".

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 19:12

Unipers is a good idea to standardise Latin script Persian, but I don't think the alphabet of Iran should be changed.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 10:03

Ops yes i was wrong Ferdos was actully mentioned in the Quran.

about "Din" actully in Arabic it has different root and meaning than the Persian one, so it didnt come from Persian language.

Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 11:16
What root and meaning would that be?
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 11:47
the word "abdest" is taken from persian, but does abdest used in Kur'an'i Kerim?
OUT OF LIMIT
Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 12:03

Language reform is on its way redardless, the only problem is the insect called "khundak" (mantis - khundak= little molla)

http://www.irandoc.ac.ir/etela-art/19/19_3_4_1.htm

Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 12:39

I think you are refering to the word "wuzu", correct me if I am wrong.

No abdest/bdast(b+dast = water+hand) is not used in Qur'an. 

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 05:58

Originally posted by Yekta

the root of Din in Arabic is Dan

it has many meanings, from which the word din came is this meaning submitted and obeyed.

Din or Deen to be more accurate in the pronounciation means  Habit and the obedience and the humiliation and the disease and the calculation ( calcuations as in Judgement day)

Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 07:10

Originally posted by Yekta

the root of Din in Arabic is Dan

it has many meanings, from which the word din came is this meaning submitted and obeyed.

Din or Deen to be more accurate in the pronounciation means  Habit and the obedience and the humiliation and the disease and the calculation ( calcuations as in Judgement day)

You mean the word ?

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 07:19

no

dan

Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 07:27

I see, although I have many questions about this but I think It'll be way out of topic so maybe some other time, thanks Azimuth

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2005 at 07:31

you can open a new thread if you like

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 23:40

Originally posted by Azimuth

you can open a new thread if you like
sure u want to do that? cause I'll be there you know

I was glancing through the topics since I'm no longer an addicted user anymore   that I saw this thread and couldn't resist not replying to it. As azimuth said M. Persian has a lot of Arabic words, true. But saying that the language would be incapable of meaning without its Arabic words is not acceptable. Since for a long time Arabic was the official language of Iran, (nowadays) we see the Arabic words used in the "Formal" conversations, letters and books. But, as many Iranians who read (lol) would know, between the Ghajar era and the Pahlavi's many foreign words were dismissed and replaced by their Persian equaltions. Now if we take a book -- let's take a novel for example -- from Pahlavi era and compare it to a newly published novel (any) we would clearly be able to distinguish the diverse level of literature, I mean when I was reading the "Animal Farm" (translated in 1976~79) a few weeks ago for the second time, I didn't understand a number of words. As for the slang Persian, we use Arabic words as well, but if we want to, we can easily replace them with Persian. It's just the matter of popularity and habit.

to answer one of the earlier posts regarding the roots of Din, I, again, as many times before have to say that the root is Daen which comes from Avestan. We don't have any evidence of the existance of this word in any Semetic languages dating back to the 1st mil. bc or earlier.

Edited by ramin
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 01:11

i said that he wont understand what "Many"  iranians are saying, and since he is learning the language he will learn it the Official way not the slangs or the accents, and doing that without learning at least some of the Arabic words in the Official Farisi he wont fully understand the language.

and about Din and Daena i already mentioned its roots in Arabic and what it means.

plus all that it nice to see you posting here again, havent seen you since "Sumerian were Iranian" thing

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 07:39
Arabic words are usually Persianised and don't sound anything like they would in Arabic.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 08:15
Same with Arabic vocabulary in Turkish. Totally modified.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 08:17

yes but not all, and iam not saying that they all sounded like Arabic, someone posted that he is learning Farsi and tell whoever who teachs him not to teach him any Arabic words in Farsi, its like he want to learn Pure Farsi, i told him that he as a new learner wont understand what many iranins would say if he didnt learn at least some Arabic words which are used more in the Daily life.

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 21:55

Ops yes i was wrong Ferdos was actully mentioned in the Quran.

about "Din" actully in Arabic it has different root and meaning than the Persian one, so it didnt come from Persian language.

I think the easiest one to see is the change from Parsi to Farsi.  There is no "P" either in Arabic. 

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>