Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mexica Chimalli ( Aztec Shields )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexica Chimalli ( Aztec Shields )
    Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 13:12
"WTF? where are his legs? I can't see'em! I...AAAAAAAAAAAAGHKIDNEY!!!"

and give the shield-bearer time to strike back...
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Yaomitl View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Yaomitl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 14:25
Originally posted by TheARRGH

"WTF? where are his legs? I can't see'em! I...AAAAAAAAAAAAGHKIDNEY!!!"

and give the shield-bearer time to strike back...
Wow! I can almost see it happening right in front of my eyes!LOL
"For as long as the world shall endure, the honour and the glory of Mexico-Tenochtitlan must never be forgotten."
- Chimalpahin Quautlehuanitzin
<a href="http://www.theotherconquest.com
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 16:44
Yeah, ever since I posted that, I've seen it happening on the inside of my eyelids every other second.

...I hope someone makes a (relatively historically accurate) movie about the cultures of Mesoamerica, just so I can watch that happening with no sound and create my own dialog.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

jdalton View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jdalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 19:24
Originally posted by TheARRGH

...I hope someone makes a (relatively historically accurate) movie about the cultures of Mesoamerica,

Oy. I think we'll be waiting forever. The closest I've seen was a movie called Chaak (possibly with a different spelling), which made references to history but was actually a movie about modern Mayans.
Lords of Death and Life (a Mesoamerican webcomic)
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 21:22
I guess one of us enlightened people are going to have to make it happen at some point then.

anyhoo, back to the technically-non-off-topic stuff, does anyone know what materials the shields were made of? I know there was often featherwork and cloth or hide, but were they wicker, wood, or varying?

Also: does anyone have enough physics/engineering background to  say around how many psi a fairly strong, maybe 1 and 1/2 inch wood shield with thick cloth or hide padding could take? I realize it's a bit of a complex question, but I've always liked having a concrete idea of what an ancient technology could do.

Yaomitl View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Yaomitl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 10:07
Wood to the best of my knowledge. Drums (or at least one drum I'm aware of) were made out of chicozapote wood (Achras sapota, L. according to my Luis Cabrera dictionary). I'm guessing that may be what some shields were made from... emphasis on the guessing there.
"For as long as the world shall endure, the honour and the glory of Mexico-Tenochtitlan must never be forgotten."
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 12:51
A good guess, nevertheless. Yeah, I thought they might be of wood, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just wickerwork, which I understand some civilizations DID use in their shields.

Yaomitl View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Yaomitl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 11:34
Oh I see. Yes... all those I've seen look to be made of strong wood, like you'd make the seat of a chair - a circular band with flat bits "nailed" onto it. Pretty robust I imagine.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 12:36
Probably. people underestimate wood.

..They will learn...oh yes...yes they will.....hehhehehehehhe...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12