Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crusaders and Saracen Fighting Strategies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crusaders and Saracen Fighting Strategies
    Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 15:37
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

I stll have a problem understanding your argument. I think you have a hard time believing that the crusaders had more casualties among their ranks. But it is proven, and therefore should be taken into thought.

In light of what the primary sources tells us it is justified to claim the crusaders had more casualties, and I don't have a hard time believing this at all. The crusaders did have more casualties judging by the primary sources, which is all we have and what we must base our conclusions on, but we cannot use them to extract objective fact (as said before, casualty rates in medieval sources are notoriously difficult to handle), something which we do not operate with in the historical science. In any case I only meant to spread some awareness of historical method and the source critical difficulties involved, using this battle as an example if you will, so don't get too stuck on it.
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 16:03

You said it was a great example yourself. I shared this battle because of military strategies, not casualties. All I said is that the Europeans had a casualty rating around 4000 and the Muslims around 3000. However, that was a very small section in the peice and not the main idea. I have only used this example once If you wish to make such a comment, look over my other posts and see if I had posted the battle more than once. I also never said the casualty counts were facts in any of my posts.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 20-Dec-2007 at 16:04
What is the officer problem?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12