Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hengest & Horsa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hengest & Horsa
    Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 20:03
Orm in the old languages refers rather to a dragon-like creature (eg, Midgrdsormen, "Midgard serpent/Jormundgand". Fafnir of Vlsunga fame was also an "orm") than to the small slippery, in Europe rather harmless animals.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 15:45
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

Well, when naming or elegizing a war leader, one usually picks a ferocious animal, or one of battlefield relevance. Hence, we tend to see surnames such as Richard "Couer de Lion," Cuchulain "the Hound of Ulster," etc. Very seldom Bob "The Falcon (also a status symbol of the nobility, but of neither ferocious temperment nor battlefield relevance)," or Joe "The Chinchilla (expensive and exotic, yet, well neither ferocious or of battlefield relevance)." Aelle, and early Saxon warleader, was referred to alternatively as the "Bear of the Aengles (one will of course note the ferociousness of the animal in question)" and the "Bull (an animal noted not only for it's virility, but also for it's vicious and violent temperment)." Of course, the most famous mythical Germannic-Nordic warleader, Beowulf, also has a name referencing a ferocious animal (in this instance, obviously, a wolf). Saxons are also believed to have used wardogs to break holes in enemy shieldwalls prior to melee, and there are some few recorded instances of Saxon warchiefs being merely known as "the Dog" or "the Hound (e.g. animals of battlefield signifigance). Horses, in a Saxon context, were neither considered particularly ferocious, nor had much battlefield relevance.
More likely, these fictitious names would have been ascribed to these warlords by scholars writing in an early medieval context, when mounted warriors began to have some real battlefield significance (i.e. the surnames would make sense in the ferocious/battlefield relevance area). See what I'm getting at?

Yes, I see what you are getting at, and it is a very valid point, but I can still see enough reason for the names to be not too odd. After all, to refer to your examples, there was a major German nobleman called Henry the Fowler (of Habsburg). And horses did not start to be really significant in Saxon warfare until after the Norman conquest, and the names are defenately older than that, if not quite as old as they claim to be. Besides, a full grown alpha stallion is not something you want to be on the bad side on. One of the aims of using horses in battle was to have them trample enemies. Horses can kill people as well as a wolf, if not in quite the same way.

And I am sure I have read somewhere that some (Briton, not Saxon I have to admit) tribes had totem animals such as the otter and the badger. Both are predators and have very nasty bites, but I'd take an angry otter over an angry stallion every day...Wink

Originally posted by styrbiorn

Orm in the old languages refers rather to a dragon-like creature (eg, Midgrdsormen, "Midgard serpent/Jormundgand". Fafnir of Vlsunga fame was also an "orm") than to the small slippery, in Europe rather harmless animals.

Good point. Smile

Edited by Aelfgifu - 15-Nov-2007 at 15:50

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 17:34
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Well, when naming or elegizing a war leader, one usually picks a ferocious animal, or one of battlefield relevance. Hence, we tend to see surnames such as Richard "Couer de Lion," Cuchulain "the Hound of Ulster," etc. Very seldom Bob "The Falcon (also a status symbol of the nobility, but of neither ferocious temperment nor battlefield relevance)," or Joe "The Chinchilla (expensive and exotic, yet, well neither ferocious or of battlefield relevance)." Aelle, and early Saxon warleader, was referred to alternatively as the "Bear of the Aengles (one will of course note the ferociousness of the animal in question)" and the "Bull (an animal noted not only for it's virility, but also for it's vicious and violent temperment)." Of course, the most famous mythical Germannic-Nordic warleader, Beowulf, also has a name referencing a ferocious animal (in this instance, obviously, a wolf). Saxons are also believed to have used wardogs to break holes in enemy shieldwalls prior to melee, and there are some few recorded instances of Saxon warchiefs being merely known as "the Dog" or "the Hound (e.g. animals of battlefield signifigance). Horses, in a Saxon context, were neither considered particularly ferocious, nor had much battlefield relevance.
More likely, these fictitious names would have been ascribed to these warlords by scholars writing in an early medieval context, when mounted warriors began to have some real battlefield significance (i.e. the surnames would make sense in the ferocious/battlefield relevance area). See what I'm getting at?

Yes, I see what you are getting at, and it is a very valid point, but I can still see enough reason for the names to be not too odd. After all, to refer to your examples, there was a major German nobleman called Henry the Fowler (of Habsburg). And horses did not start to be really significant in Saxon warfare until after the Norman conquest, and the names are defenately older than that, if not quite as old as they claim to be. Besides, a full grown alpha stallion is not something you want to be on the bad side on. One of the aims of using horses in battle was to have them trample enemies. Horses can kill people as well as a wolf, if not in quite the same way.

And I am sure I have read somewhere that some (Briton, not Saxon I have to admit) tribes had totem animals such as the otter and the badger. Both are predators and have very nasty bites, but I'd take an angry otter over an angry stallion every day...Wink

Originally posted by styrbiorn

Good point. Smile

A valid point with the "Fowler" example; but that refers to his hobby more than anything else. It's not the name of a tribal-warleader. He was alive during the late medieval/ early modern period- not the 5th century BCE. That's a difference of about a thousand years, there.
The Tribal totems of the Britons have nothing to do with the names of Saxon warlords. They were probably named for animals within the general vicinity of the tribes' living areas, and probably eaten as a primary food source. They were doubtfully meant to inspire fear in battle. The Britons weren't big fighters during the period. If they were, Saxons wouldn't be living in their lands today.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 19:39

After all, to refer to your examples, there was a major German nobleman called Henry the Fowler (of Habsburg).

Henry the Fowler was not Habsburg but of the Liudolfing dynasty and fowler was his hobby. he was also not a random nobleman but the first king of germany.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 19:48
Originally posted by Temujin

After all, to refer to your examples, there was a major German nobleman called Henry the Fowler (of Habsburg).

Henry the Fowler was not Habsburg but of the Liudolfing dynasty and fowler was his hobby. he was also not a random nobleman but the first king of germany.

Whether it was his hobby or not, he was called after it, and it is not a war-issue. And he was later medieval, yes, but I was using him as a random example of naming after less warrior-involved things. He was a king, but 'of Germany' would be pushing it a bit. Germany at its most rudimentary form perhaps. The first Holy Roman Emperor might be more accurate, but still, he was only an example, not the main focus of the issue.

Fact remains, there is no obvious reason why Saxon leaders would not be called after a horse... Or, more accurately, why later Saxons would have found it either odd or impossible.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 15-Nov-2007 at 19:49

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 00:34
These are very early Saxon war-leaders we're discussing. It desn't even seem that they would have been aristocrats, more likely just mercenary captains, who have t be tough, and have tough names, to keep their positions very long. It's really a very competitive industry, you know. 
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 21:23

The first Holy Roman Emperor might be more accurate, but still, he was only an example, not the main focus of the issue.

he was not emperor, only his sucessor Otto I. would be crowned emperor. also the territory he ruled over is essentially germany including some more territories in the west (Lothringen duchy). the point is he was the first non-carolingian, native ruler of the eastern frankish kingdom = germany. it is the traditional beginning of historical germany.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 06:10

Not only that, but the Saxons were not a "horse" people. Those names in the context of a Hunnic or of a Scythian/ Sarmatian people, well, they make way more sense. That would be like an American being named Pig, or Dog, or Cat (more appropriately, in a contemporary light, Car or Vacuum). The Saxonesque peoples used horses for plowing and farming, and militarily for specialized light/ scouting cavalry roles. The primary Saxon field formation would have been the shieldwall around the time of the invasion of Britain... so the names Horse and Stallion would have had little battlefield relevance, and thus, not have inspired much awe or terror

I don't think whether the Saxons used horses in battle, or not, was really all that important.

Have you ever been around a stallion? Not just a horse, an anatomically complete stallion? They are probably the least docile of all domesticated animals. Even bulls are more predictable and easier to control, you can lead the things around with nothing more than a nose ring and some self-confidence. Stallions are, above all, creatures that are never truly tame in any sense of the word. They are also extremely dangerous and highly capable of lethal attack - you are much more likely to be killed if a stallion attacks you, than if a dog or bull attacks you. If a person were described to me as being like a stallion, I would expect him to be either an individual with a high excess of testosterone, or someone capable of going from outwardly calm, to sudden and unexpected extreme physical brutality.

Not all animals commonly used in war imagery are dangerous wild animals, or domesticated animals of the battlefield. Raptors like hawks, falcons, and eagles are commonly associated with courageous warriors universally, and bulls likewise conjure an image of unstoppable physical power.

In terms of associations with warlike qualities, it seems to be fairly universal that animals are not chosen based on their use (for domestic animals) or relative dangerousness (for wild animals), but on their behaviour. If animals were chosen based on how dangerous they were, we would expect to see more wild boars and bears, and fewer wolves and eagles.

The only animal used in war with a primary purpose of attacking enemy soldiers is the dog. But it has always been, in every culture I am familiar with, an insult to describe a warrior or leader as a dog, for the same reason that stallion, eagle, bull, or wolf is not: because the dog is seen to submit easily to its master.

Edited by edgewaters - 30-Nov-2007 at 06:36
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 16:40
I agree entirely. However, reference to a warrior as a Hound is a compliment, as per the Cuchulain example. Yet Hounds are domesticated. Hmmm.

I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps there is no logical system by which animal attributes are attributed to various warriors throughout history...

Either way, I still adhere to the viability of the Hengest and Horsa story, albeit I think the names are attributed later.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 22:15
btw, if we say Hengest means stallion, does this imply that Horsa was perhaps female? like a couple or brother & sister?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 03:56
The Horse was a symbol of authority in English and North Western European culture at least since the iron age.

Chalk carvings in hills and many native English coins had images of horses on them. Horses also had a ritual role in English society. Grave goods show aristocrats buried with large amouts of expensive horse trappings. Archeological evidence suggests they were not domesticated in Iron-age times. Skeletons in burials show overwhelming male horses. Females ran wild and the wild stallions were captured and broken as a rite of passage. Horses were symbols of aristocratic power.

Not just in England, in Ireland the kings of Connaught would would get down on all four an immitate a horse, in Ulster they would sacrifice a mare at royal coronation and the king bathe in the blood.

In central Iron age France coins were minted with horses on too.

3 different  north western countries, France, England and Ireland each inhabited in Iron Age by numerous different unrelated peoples all devoped regionally but not universally horse based aristocratic traditions.

I think Hengist and Horsa's namse are just a symbolic continuation of this tradition. There's no reason why horses as symbols of authority died off in Roman times and didn't carry through to post Roman times. The Hengist and Horsa names were perhaps the first incidence of the writing down of a several thousand year old Kent local tradition to denote power and authority of the ruler.

It seems odd to me every has looked abroad to find a tradition without even looking locally. If something is happening in Kent surely the first place to look is Kent.

Edited by Paul - 03-Dec-2007 at 10:55
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 10:42
Hallo, I'm Bjrn from Lower Saxony in Germany. It's said here that the Saxons were no horse people. That's true, but the horse is still on the flags of the two German states of Lower Saxony and North Rhine-Westfalia, the so called saxon horse. So there is an importance for the Saxons. It is not sure where it comes from, so I cannot say anything else about it. But the horse was important for the Saxons on the continent. So it is possible that you can connect Hengest and Horsa with this tradition. The problem is, that you cannot connect Hengest and Horsa with the Saxons in Lower Saxony, cause the term saxones just means something like pirates. They were no tribe, they were a conglomeration of a lot of germanic tribes from Germany, Danmark and the Netherlands. So the saga of the three ships with Saxons, Anglians and Jutish people is just a nice story but definitely not true. Hengest and Horsa are probably not the true names of germanic leaders, if they have exist anyway, they just stand for leaders of these times, whose names were unknown in later times. Perhaps you can compare it with the saxon leader in the war between the Saxons and Charles the Great. He is mentioned as Widukind. This is unic (only a later chronist is called after him). It means son of the wood. It was probably not his real name, perhaps it's a kind of war-name or sacral name. we don't know.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 18:28
actually the origin of the horse in lower saxony is hanover. the hanoverian horse breed is one of the best in the world, prefered for competitions and a great military horse for the heavy cavalry.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 10:03
The appears on the flags of two states. Both are states on the ground of the saxon tribe. There are also sometimes wooden heads of horses on the roofs of old houses. I cannot explain the origin but it seems so that there is a kind of connection between the Saxon area and horses. So this could be an/one explanation for the names Hengest and Horsa.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 21:45
well, in modern germany they appear on 2 federal states flags. however, the flag of the original saxon duchy is the one now used by the federal state saxony.

Niedersachsen (lower saxony):

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/d/de-ni.gif

Nordrhein-Westfalen:

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/d/de-nw_s.gif

Hannover (historical state):

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/d/de_hann5.gif
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2012 at 20:15
Stallion and horse? Was this a reference to his sexual prowess?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12