Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Achievements of the Byzantines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What are the lasting achievements of the Byzantine Empire?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [11.76%]
9 [17.65%]
25 [49.02%]
5 [9.80%]
5 [9.80%]
1 [1.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Achievements of the Byzantines
    Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 11:19

ok this is try. They were born in byzantine and were educated there and about that I'm agreed. But i can ask you the same is that make them byzantines. Just one example how many people are born in other countries and not feeling themselfs as part of this country?!But how far as I know the alphabet which they created is based on byzantine one. This is first and second the alphabet which they've created is not on use today. Today we write on Cyril created by one of them students - Kliment. I don't want to say that byzantines haven't  contribution in all this....

ok I stop with that because don't want to angry other here

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 11:23
The Cyrillic alphabet is a modified Greek alphabet with extra symbols for slavic sounds, the greek language hasn't. 
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 04:25
Originally posted by Tobodai

the greatest laegacy of Byzantium is the battle of Constantinople, the repulse of the Arabsm and the pioneering use of Greek fire which then speread as far as China.  The victory over the Arabs at Constantinople is WAY more important than the overrated battles in France.
Agreed.

I remember in high school during the Middle Age segment, our teacher could not stop talking about the Battle of Tours in 732 AD, and nothing was mentioned about the 2 sieges of Constantinople in the 670s and in 717-18...

I am curious why Gibbon was so antagonistic to the Eastern Empire, or why his view has held sway in general as much as it has....
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 04:27
Tours is over rated. Like a bunch of robbers were gonna conquer France, they just wanted some loot so they could bugger off home afterwards.
Arrrgh!!"
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 12:38
the Catholic church....
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 13:38
I see them as the gatekeepers of Europe, keeping the East out.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 17:01
Originally posted by Jazz

I am curious why Gibbon was so antagonistic to the Eastern Empire, or why his view has held sway in general as much as it has....

I think Gibbon saw the main reason in the fall of the Roman Empire in the emerging Christianity which he accused of eroding the forming principles of the Romans.
The Byzantine Empire of course was nothing but the continuation of the Roman Empire as a Christian theocratic state, and Gibbon saw it as deneration of all Roman virtues, as a despotic, weak, luxurious and effeminate state.
His comments, published in the late 18th century, fell into a period of rediscovery of the Greek and Roman antiquity, on which this neo-classicist period had a very idealised view, that lasted well into the next two centuries.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2005 at 17:00
Mostly defenders of Europe even if Byzantium had a very high-quality standing army up until the mid 11th century. But we have to keep in mind that borders were just too vast, the times back then were kinda turbulent and the inner struggles, mostly  for power between the various nobles, factions, throne contenders were really rough.
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 07:49
Well, it was the Italians who started the Renaissance, so you can't give 'em that. . Serously though, their greatest achievement was indefinately the defense of Europe from Muslim (and other foreigners') attacks. Without the defense of Constantinople, all of Eastern  Europe would  probably  have fallen to Muslim domination, and have met with the western Islamic army invading France.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 08:45
Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

Well, it was the Italians who started the Renaissance, so you can't give 'em that. .

As discussed many times, the argument goes, that the "renaissance", especially in Italy, was partly inspired by the exodus of Byzantine intellectuals to Europe, mainly after the fall of Constantinople in 1453, but even before that.
As Byzantines had preserved much of the Greek and Roman antiquity in their collective knowledge, once they reached Western Europe they helped to rekindle, mainly through teaching at Italian universities, an interest in the classical age. Other factors contributed of course, but the Byzantines surely played a part.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 03:59
I am stuck at home due to a messed up ankle and a cast so while looking through AE thought to revive this old thread. Too bad Kom is not around on AE anymore.

I love Treadgold's book on Byzantium. He is not exactly an expert on the east, but covers the Byzantine Empire excellently however.

Yes, Tours is overrated.

Byzantium is interesting because it is unique at the time. While the western provinces localized and adapted to a different political and social structure Byzantium flourished. I am not keen on calling them defenders or Europe nor of the West. The Caliphate that rose up was as Western and had much influence from the Greco-Roman world. Byzantium had a huge chunk of eastern territory first of all and a culture and society that was a mix of the ancient Roman society and of the old Greek society, too. But, also was eastern in many ways as well.

Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 04:17
"(menticide seems to have been the official dogma of christianity in East and West, and a tradition of free-thinking, individualistic, science-loving people was not admired among the clergy of the time)."

I'd have to disagree completely.

"the Catholic church.... "

Had nothing to do with the East Roman Empire, if you are refering to what we know today as "Roman Catholicism." It emerged while Rome was not under the control of the Empire and their whole mentality and theology concerning Christianity was quite different. I'd say more legalistic.
Sukhbaatar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Sukhbaatar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 07:43
Originally posted by Temujin

I don't see how any of the options apply, or rather, why they should be attributed to a single country.

Hahaha agreed Cheers
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 20:31
Originally posted by Sukhbaatar

Originally posted by Temujin

I don't see how any of the options apply, or rather, why they should be attributed to a single country.

Hahaha agreed Cheers

Quite certainly all the options apply; however, some of the same options can be attributed to other countries as well, for different reasons.

Edited by arch.buff - 10-Jun-2008 at 20:32
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 20:56
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

"the Catholic church.... "

Had nothing to do with the East Roman Empire, if you are refering to what we know today as "Roman Catholicism." It emerged while Rome was not under the control of the Empire and their whole mentality and theology concerning Christianity was quite different. I'd say more legalistic.

Hello there Carpathian Wolf!

Actually, the Catholic church has everything to do with the Byzantine Empire. The Byzantines themselves were in communion with the Catholic church, although not without many years of schism, up until 1054(although not formally split, see appropriate thread). However, I would say that Roman Catholicism "emerged" at pentecost; but I guess I'm a lil partial.Wink  Although I would agree with you that Catholic and Orthodox theology does differ though.
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 23:10

All of the 5 (Constantinople, Rome, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria) were in communion with each other. But the pope at Rome was outside of the Empire itself. Once the west adopted the filioque (which pope Gregory and a few other bishops in Rome fought against) along with other reasions there was a schism yes.

Knit picking here but at Pentacost nothing about Christianity was really "Roman" as during that time Romans were Pagans. But I suppose Catholic could be used (Greek for universal IIRC). Semantics now.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 01:48
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

All of the 5 (Constantinople, Rome, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria) were in communion with each other. But the pope at Rome was outside of the Empire itself. Once the west adopted the filioque (which pope Gregory and a few other bishops in Rome fought against) along with other reasions there was a schism yes.

Knit picking here but at Pentacost nothing about Christianity was really "Roman" as during that time Romans were Pagans. But I suppose Catholic could be used (Greek for universal IIRC). Semantics now.

Hello again Carpathian Wolf!

Well, it seems you have certainly simplified the issue. Historically speaking, there were quite a few schisms that were to arise within the undivided Catholic church. Really, almost a third of the first millennium was spent in schism, as far as years ago. I dont wish to sound too much like a dark & rainy day; all these schisms were temporary and orthodox communion was always attained, that is until the great schism.

As far as Rome goes, there were times that Rome was both under the rule of the Emperor and also outside of the sphere of the Empire. I dont quite understand your asserion that Rome was outside of the Empire. Is it your opinion that Rome was never within the Byzantine Empire?Confused

Semantics? Ya, I guess youre right!LOL I thought you could discern that when I said "Roman Catholic Church", that I meant the: One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. -(ie. the one church Christ established)
Fact is, the Catholic Church does not identify herself as the "Roman Catholic Church", which is a rather newer additive used by those outside the church to more specifically identify her. During Vatican I and II there was special care taken by the church not to use such terminology and monikers. So for instance, formally speaking, cardinals are called- cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. That is to say, clergy of the Diocese of Rome. Having said all this, it is true that most Catholics use such terminology, myself included, but this is only when speaking with those who arent themselves Catholic.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 01:53
Oh, and I guess I should relay that I didnt vote because I hold to the opinion that Byzantium contributed in all the above categories. 
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 03:29

I voted defence of Europe. Preservation of antiquity was a tempting option, but then they also went to lengths to destroy much of what was valuable in the ancient world.

Riggins View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Riggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2008 at 06:44

I believe that one of the great achievements of the Byzantine Empire was the reintroduction of the table fork to Europe.

Other notable achievements include but are not limited to the following:

-Byzantine Architecture/Hagia Sophia/Pendentives (one of the great works of architecture, incorporating an architectural engineering innovation - a dome sitting on top of squared arches in its main section; Byzantine architecture influenced the architecture of the west and east)

-Bureau of Barbarians/Diplomacy ("Skrinion Barbaron" sort of like the medieval version of the CIA, generally cited as the first foreign intelligence gathering agency of its sort)

-Development of a Hospital System (the first hospitals per se were NOT Byzantine...but in Byzantium there was a more widespread and systematic use of hospitals for the public welfare)

-Porphyrogenetos/Creative use of the color purple/Aristocracy (legitimate heirs to the throne were said to be "born in the purple" based on the color of the delivery room of the imperial palace)

There were a number of military/bureaucratic/diplomatic innovations, and achievements in other fields was well. I'm not a historian and my opinion may be biased somewhat but I don't consider Byzantium to have been a great civilization in its own right (though it probably is very under-rated) but I believe it was greatly significant in terms of how it affected the path of history in Europe , the Middle East and beyond.

I tend to believe that the Byzantine world view, perhaps largely influenced by religion, tended to favor conservatism and tradition at the expense of innovation. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>