Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The problems with decolonization in Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The problems with decolonization in Africa
    Posted: 09-Feb-2008 at 23:39
Originally posted by Mughaal

I dont believe Africa is screwed up only because of colonialism.

Africa, primarily, is screwed up because of Africans.

Reasons Why Africa Is Horrible
1. African Rulers inept
2. lack of cohesion between a kabillion ethnic groups
3. lack of education
4. foreigners influencing from outside

Absolutely agree. You forgot population growth. That should be stopped first so the resources can be distributed among people. Otherwise, there is no way out.

Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 06:28
I dont know if population growth is such a neccessarily bad thing. I mean in the 1800s Europe's population was expanding immensely; and they managed fine. Its more about management rather than population growth.

Worse comes to worse, Africa can invade South America. haha.
Mughal e Azam
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 11:58
The difference is that Europe had the means to feed this population. A big part of Africa is jungles, savannas or deserts. The land can't sustain big populations and this is the reason not many civilisations were created. And all vanished after a while. 
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 18:49
Not having enough food is a not a reason not to develop nowadays. Do you think South East Asia has enough food to feed its enormous population, do you think China and Japan do?
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 19:22
No, but they are developed states and can import. African states are plagued by civil wars and civil unrest, not to mention that no merchant wants to set foot on that continent
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 22:38

I dont know if population growth is such a neccessarily bad thing. I mean in the 1800s Europe's population was expanding immensely; and they managed fine. Its more about management rather than population growth.

Europe was in the Industrial Revolution boom. I don't see any creativity booming in Africa at all. Well, besides theis influence on Reaggeton LOL

Worse comes to worse, Africa can invade South America. haha.

Why we have to pay the price and sustain a population that is not our? We have worked hard to get OUR PEOPLE out of poverty , not opportunistic  foreigners. We don't want South America to be a land of refugees. We have always preffer immigrants that contribute to development, rather than taxes our resources, people and land. In other words, If we have to, instead of Africans, we preffer to import Chinese!

We have enough ships to ship Africans back to Africa, though, so that's no problem.

But why not to ship them to India or Pakistan instead ? According to your theory, population growth doesn't matter, so I bet India and Pakistan are the best places to put the excess of population of the world. They have developed wonderful technology to put a million people living in a square mile. That's amazing! Wink

Edited by pinguin - 17-Feb-2008 at 22:42
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 22:46
The most interesting African country in my opinion is Botswana. It had never endured crippling civil wars, and her government is very stable and keeps itself in check. I think this country should serve as an example to other African countries that it is possible to be a prosperous country in their continent
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2008 at 22:47
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Not having enough food is a not a reason not to develop nowadays. Do you think South East Asia has enough food to feed its enormous population, do you think China and Japan do?

South East Asia is industralizing and stopping population growth.

Africa is just chaos.

Aussiedude View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Aussiedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2008 at 16:59
Botswana is stable because it has next to no natural resources, and thus the imperialist US f**ks ignore it. Contrast this with the resorce-full Nigeria and Zaire(yeah, its officially the DROC, but Zaire is the native African term which I WILL USE)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2008 at 17:16
Originally posted by Aussiedude

Botswana is stable because it has next to no natural resources, and thus the imperialist US f**ks ignore.

Next to no natural resources? It's the world's largest exporter of diamonds!
kafkas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote kafkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2008 at 06:32

Im sorry, but my parents fed me until age 5, and afterwards made me do it.

A lot of young Africans don't even have parents to raise them and many of the ones that do can't find food in the first place due to desertification, failed crops, unemployment, abuse of property rights by the government, etc.

My mom wiped my ass until age 6. Ive been doing it since then.

I wish Africans were as smart as you so they could understand the concept of wiping their ass after doing their business.

My dad helped me with my homework up to ninth grade

A lot of African kids don't even have schools to attend, or they have to stay at home to help farm and make sure they survive the year.

afterwards I learned to be resourceful and use online, or professional after school help.

Wow, why didn't the naked starving kid in Sudan just think of this. He can get the resources he needs by going online via his personal Macbook with wireless capability and browse wikipedia, or he can just hire any one of the professional tutors in the village with the money his dad made from his surplus agricultural produce.

In the Muslim community, there are 3 groups that are blamed for everything, from terrorist attacks to snowfall to assasinations to high price of wheat:
1. Israel
2. United States
3. Russia

I think this is more accurate:
1. Israel
2. United States
3. Turkey

It's interesting to note these are also the 3 groups that are blamed for everything in Europe. Now the "Muslim community" and European community have something else in common they can discuss at the next Interfaith Cooperation & Dialogue Forum

When my University Professor hands me back a grade of 73% on a Final; I dont blame her for making it hard (unless it truly was out of this world difficult, agreed by the whole student body).

If people like Mugabe, Mobutu, and such rule Africa, how the hell is it to prevail?

Maybe if their people stop blaming them for making life hard? Kind of like your "university professor" analogy?

Edited by kafkas - 07-Apr-2008 at 06:34
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 03:59
The turmoil in Africa is complex to the point of being unmanageable, let alone being accurately able to place blame for such a continental failure. Sure, there is corruption in government, but where is there not? Military leaderships and coups and juntas? Lack of resource management? Deplorable lack of medical infrastructure (or the ability to keep workers alive long enough to make it economically worthwhile to train them in upper-level industrial or post-industrial workplace skills)? Lack of inter-boundary transportation systems that allow systematic combined efforts feasible? A wide and vast array of languages and cultures which make assimilation and cooperation difficult and make conflict nearly inevitable? Centuries of exploitation at the hands of invading powers (after all, the slave trade was started by the Caliphates and other Islamic kingdoms)? Lack of experience with modern governmental principles? Lack of faith in their political systems, and lack of public accountability? Lack of the infrastructure that makes modern life possible?

Where to start identifying the problems, and worse still; where to start trying to rectify them? With such a mammoth task facing the people of Africa, such a massive hole to dig them selves out of, just where should they start? And are they even having these dialogues amongst themselves? The enormity of the situation is staggering.
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 04:37
Where to start?

Well, by controlling population growth. If they manage to do that, all the rest will come with time and effort. That's theirs only hope, really.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2008 at 11:17
Originally posted by pinguin

Well, by controlling population growth. If they manage to do that, all the rest will come with time and effort. That's theirs only hope, really.

And how are they going to do that?, and how much time they'll need? They should gather what resources they can, even sand if they have to, and sell it at the right price, then improve infrastructure, sanity etc.
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 05:26
Yes, they have to produce more. However, without stopping theirs population explosion they'll be poorer day by day. Even today, many places of Africas are feed from abroad. If population is not stopped, there is danger than generosity ends for lacks of founds.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 06:54
I diagree with the assertion Africa can't feed itself. The agricultural revolution and modern technology combined can make a food surplus even in the most hellish places. As an example since the 1960's most of Pakistans grain is coming from Bahawalpur. Know as the "desert kingdom". Look at Israel. Some good policys by governments and you can have a turn around in 3 years.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 07:21

Yes, they have to produce more. However, without stopping theirs population explosion they'll be poorer day by day. Even today, many places of Africas are feed from abroad. If population is not stopped, there is danger than generosity ends for lacks of founds.

And just who gets to decide how to enforce population-growth-cessation? Democratically elect a council to euthanize the sick mothers, and drown the AIDs babies? Maybe they can enforce sterilization while their at it?

Not going to happen.
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 15:47
Originally posted by Sparten

I diagree with the assertion Africa can't feed itself.

And I agree with your disagreement Smile ...they can, and they should
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

And just who gets to decide how to enforce population-growth-cessation? Democratically elect a council to euthanize the sick mothers, and drown the AIDs babies? Maybe they can enforce sterilization while their at it?

Not going to happen.

Easier than that. Just encourage people to move to cities, and gave them TVs to see MTV.
Teach them women and gay rights. Lecture them in the rights of woman on theirs own bodies.

They will get a frivolous lifestyle and theirs reproduction will drop in one generation.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2008 at 09:22

Originally posted by Brian J Checco

Not going to happen.

Easier than that. Just encourage people to move to cities, and gave them TVs to see MTV.
Teach them women and gay rights. Lecture them in the rights of woman on theirs own bodies.

They will get a frivolous lifestyle and theirs reproduction will drop in one generation.

And how are you going to do this? Most of them that move to cities and even worse
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>