Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Switzerland was not attacked by Hitler, why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Switzerland was not attacked by Hitler, why?
    Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 15:40

Originally posted by Scorpian

Hitler believed in the 'Volk' and anyone not German Aryan (same blood) were deemed inferior and thus fair game to be dominated. 
[/QUOTE

Not 'German Aryan'[1] but 'Aryan' as he defined it, which would certainly include most of the Swiss, the Scandinavians, the Dutch and Flemish, and the English. (And much of the then-dominant population

Not 'German Aryan'[1] but 'Aryan' as he defined it, which would certainly include most of the Swiss, the Scandinavians, the Dutch and Flemish, and the English. (And much of the then-dominant population of the British Empire.)

Not quite so certainly it would also have included the other descendants of the Franks, Lombards, Goths and so on.

[1] Unless by 'German' you mean all the descendants of the ancient 'German' tribes.
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 16:47
Unless by 'German' you mean all the descendants of the ancient 'German' tribes. qoute gcle2003

When I first read about Hitler and the Volk I took it to mean all the descendants of the ancient German tribes but I'm not sure as to wither all Aryan were included in Hitlers definition or not. Ermm
         Your guess is as good if not better than my ownEmbarrassed

Did Hitler therefore define such to include everyone termed Aryan?

Edited by Scorpian - 19-Apr-2007 at 17:11
Scorpian
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 18:06
Of course Hitler included all Aryan descendents. His anger was only really toward Jews and Slavs, and nations that opposed him.

Had Hitler invaded Britain, chances are he would have just left it as a protectorate of some sort, self ruled anyhow. His main aim with nations was submission. His main concern was with HIS REICH, not other nations. His aim were generally realistic, not World domination.
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 03:06
Of course Hitler included all Aryan descendents. His aim were generally realistic, not World domination. quote Ovidius

Had gcle2003 responded saying such I'd have respected his views and accepted them as gospel given that I reckon he knows what he's talking about.
      But the mischievious playful person that I am likes to tease you a little and hence this reply;

Is that you speculating again?Wink

So where do you speculatively speaking reckon the borders of His Reich ends and what countries would His Reich encompass.
   And should he have achieved this goal would he have been happy within this boundary or would he after a number of years of having all the factories in Europe ploughing out arms and munitions and suchlike decide he was in a strong enough position to take on America and Canada on their home turf ?  Or would he simply leave those two to harass His Reich.

Anyways don't take this personallyEmbarrassed I am playful by nature

Edited by Spartakus - 20-Apr-2007 at 05:52
Scorpian
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 08:20
It is not a speculation to say that Hitler was not going for World domination, its well noted in Hitler's speeches etc.

Hitlers main idea was Britains power was to do with Racial purity, Race is extremely significant for success in History. Germany lost the war because of Racial degredation and Britain was the main world power because of its German/Nordic mixture of race, which was ultimately successful and led to a powerful nation.

When did hitler stand on a podium and say, Aryans will take over the world? This was never his idea. His idea was to racially strengthen the Aryan people and set them forth for a new age, for them to become the centre of the world etc. It was about restoring this mythical Aryan empire, restoring the first reich, to its rightful place of glory. Its written down quite clearly in Mein Kampf, under Weltanshaung.

I've no idea exactly which countries he would include within 'his reich', but the evidence points mostly to the east, not to the west.

However, you are going too deeply into what if's. His Plans were not to do any of those things, that is clear. There is a difference between what he did and what he would do. Like I said before, Hitler was far more likely, once invading a region, to set it up as a protectorate, if he believed that state was worthy of that sort of things - see Denmark, Vichy France.

There is no evidence that he would have ever invaded American and Canada. His Reich was more likely to entail Lebensraum and those areas were German's lived.

jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 10:07

The holocaust and the regime's foreign policy are inextricably linked.  As they lost more territory, the genocide was accelerated, shipping Jews to camps inside German controlled territory just as they were evacuating the region from approaching Allied or Soviet troops.  It seems a bit pointless to waste resources on simply killing people but in that mindset the existence of Jews was directly correlated to Germany's performance in the war.  I'm not sure if Switzerland would've ever been invaded if they sheltered the Jews but I don't think that was a likely prospect anyway, if Germany kept winning, it would not have been expedient for them to protect a group which would draw the ire of the Nazis.  As it is Switzerland took pains to not irritate the Nazis byrefusing Jewish refugees and financially supporting the German industrial cartels.  
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 11:03
However, you are going too deeply into what if's. (quote Ovidius)

Bummer!Cry  Defensive Stance reply.LOL
  I was hoping you'd commit and take the pro-offered bait.
                                 (Bravo!)Clap

Seems we both have differing opinions based on assumption, speculation and probable what if's.  I do happen to agree with you on related historical issue but we differ on points of view and likely outcome.

Don't take Mein Kampf (Its written down quite clearly in Mein Kampf, under Weltanshaung. quote Ovidius) as good evidence to promote your authoritive view on Hitler given that he was apt to say (write) one thing and then do another ie'Never again Fight on two fronts' then he did just that.  

I'll try out fox you elsewhere but for now I'll leave you alone and let others put their points of view across on this subject.

Scorp.

Scorpian
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 19:03
I'm not taking Mein Kampf as the be all and end all, I merely take Mein Kampf as a slight guidebook for some of the more 'grand themes' of Hitlers ideals.

As with all dictators Hitler meandered from his own 'philosophy'. One of the 'great successes' of Nazi ideology was its fluidity, without that fluidity and the ability to change it eve in different regions of Germany it would never have been such a strong force.

However, I stand by my argument. Hitler was too realistic in his aims to go for 'world domination', he never set out to do that. He wanted to erradicate his enemies, for sure, but the main aim was to strengthen and form the most powerful nation in the world - not take over the world. He was out to form a New Reich that would last a thousand years, set around the Pure Germanic people.

His foreign policy was always fairly balanced in its approach to nations that were either neutral or friendly to Hitler's aims. Hence why i believe that Hitler would probably have not gone out of his way to attack small nations that weren't part of his 'evil' list.

But at the end of the day, as with all history - nothing can be certain. The fluidity in the Nazi ideology was also down to how fickle Hitler's Character was. Just look at the 'final solution' and his attitude towards Jews - it changes massively during his period in power, there is clearly not one set methodic grandiose theory from beginning to end. Its always in motion and not always heading for the extreme.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 10:43
In earlier phase, it was dismissed due to mountains terrain, and effective fortification.

In 1942, the invasion of Switzerland was re-thought by the Nazis, however, at that time, Switzerland has armed too many soldiers and it was thought that such an invasion would be a huge burden.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 15:11
Originally posted by Paul

The Germans never needed to invade Switzerland, it was surrounded by German puppet regimes.

Switzerland relied on germany for 100% of its imports and exports as well as most of its coal.

If Germany closed the border Switzerland would have been in darkness in a week and anarchy in a fortnight.. Worse in winter.

Pretty much Germany said to Switzerland, jump and the Swiss said how high. Why would Germany want to invade a country like that. The whole reason they set up Vichy France is because it's much better to have a compliant self ruling entity than having the expense of militarily occupying somewhere.

As for Germany's policy with Jews. I don't think anything can even be gained from analsing that, it simply wasn't rational. In one place they try to exterminate them, in another they let them join the Nazi Party.

Paul is obviously best informed about the issue, he has put it quite well.

as in regards for Switzerland. people believe in myths such as "neutralicy". I will explain to you what that means: Sweden trading its iron oar to Germany, Sweden allowing German forces to march throguh their country.

Switzerland was no exception to this. a few years ago there was a topic in teh German newspapers: did Swiss help to lenghten the war? the issue was about Switzerland selling their AA guns to Nazi Germany towards the end of the war... so, especially for you Americans and British, if your grandpas plane was shot down during a bombign raid, it was most likely by a Swiss manufactured AA gun. well, Swiss did other thigns as well, fro example not accepting Jewish refugees. and actually Germany did nothing to prevent Jews leavign Germany before the war, the Nazis didn't liked Jews so they were glad of getting ridd of them without killign them.

so for all peole dreaming of something like neutralicy, in reality neutralicy means selling arms to both war-parties, nothign else...
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 18:49
Very true. I wonder, did Swiss continue to supply Nazi Germany with arms to the end of WWII, or until the Allies began to push the Germans back and the change of the tide of war is certain?

Join us.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 05:50
Originally posted by Temujin

people believe in myths such as "neutralicy". I will explain to you what that means: Sweden trading its iron oar to Germany, Sweden allowing German forces to march throguh their country.

That is a considerable overstatement.

On a case by case basis the German govt asked for concession. On a case by case basis Sweden granted or refused them, when they thought they could get away with it, which was painfully rare in the first years of the war.

That was the German policy towards smaller neutral states: Never make overt demands on subjection.
Incessantly ask for small concessions all the time. Nothing over the top. Nothing that might tempt some politician over there to get on top of a chair and start grand-standing about giving him "liberty or death" or such.
Keep asking for small and trivial concessions, but a lot of them. Their fear of becoming the next German victim will make them cave. And they won't get funny ideas about pissing national independance away over one of these one-on-one trivial demands. They would simply look like idiots if they did.
It was a very consumate diplomatic strategy and worked wonderfully.

One single battle ready division was transferred through Sweden by rail as a one off. There were no repeat performance. The Swedes dredged up enough pluck to refuse.
The big transport operation was unarmed German troops in locked carriages being transferred back and forth to Germany on leave. Bad enough, but nothing like German troops marching through Sweden. More like being hurridly clandestinely whisked through it in the dead of night with a very guilty conscience.

So no German troops ever marched through Sweden. Rode in passenger compartments in civilian style rather.

As for the iron ore, the Germans reciprocated by selling coal, which Sweden entirely lacks. This coal was then used for the armaments industries working full speed at getting the Swedish military into fit enough a state to have a hope of successfully telling the Germans to sod off. Which they eventually did.

And then Sweden started allowing US and British bombers to pass unmolested through Swedish air-space after their missions over Germany. Etcetera.
One must not insult the future.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 06:00
Originally posted by Temujin

so for all peole dreaming of something like neutralicy, in reality neutralicy means selling arms to both war-parties, nothign else...

Neutrality in WWII terms meant doing what it took to be spared a war and saving national independence if there was a choice to do so. Asking smaller nations to piss those things away on principle is unrealistically daft.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 06:48
I'm sorry Temujin, were you just trivialising Sweden's role in the War?

Sweden was responsible for many acts in support of the allies - from helping with Bismarck, to aiding the Norweigan resistence, to supporting allied airmen, to saving Jews and was actually planning to join the War, to passing on intelligence gained from intercepts etc.

But yeah, it was clearly supportive of the German cause. I mean

As for the myth about Nazi's and Jews that you presented. I think you could do to investigate Nazi Jewish policy pre-1938. The Nazi's may not have 'done anything to prevent Jews from leaving', but also,  they didn't do anything to let Jews know they should leave - infact they did the opposite in many cases.

As for the Jews and Switzerland. They did actually allow Jews, just didn't allow ALL jews. It was normal immigration rules. Other nations were guilty of the Same.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 07:22
Originally posted by Ovidius

It is not a speculation to say that Hitler was not going for World domination, its well noted in Hitler's speeches etc.

Hitlers main idea was Britains power was to do with Racial purity, Race is extremely significant for success in History. Germany lost the war because of Racial degredation and Britain was the main world power because of its German/Nordic mixture of race, which was ultimately successful and led to a powerful nation.

When did hitler stand on a podium and say, Aryans will take over the world? This was never his idea. His idea was to racially strengthen the Aryan people and set them forth for a new age, for them to become the centre of the world etc. It was about restoring this mythical Aryan empire, restoring the first reich, to its rightful place of glory. Its written down quite clearly in Mein Kampf, under Weltanshaung.

I've no idea exactly which countries he would include within 'his reich', but the evidence points mostly to the east, not to the west.

However, you are going too deeply into what if's. His Plans were not to do any of those things, that is clear. There is a difference between what he did and what he would do. Like I said before, Hitler was far more likely, once invading a region, to set it up as a protectorate, if he believed that state was worthy of that sort of things - see Denmark, Vichy France.

There is no evidence that he would have ever invaded American and Canada. His Reich was more likely to entail Lebensraum and those areas were German's lived.

Sorry, but believing in Hitler's speaches as a source of knowledge what Hitler was going to do is a little naive.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 09:53

But yeah, it was clearly supportive of the German cause.

Do you mean out of necessity or preference?

Sweden was divided. Traditionally pro-German since the German unification. Not particularily happy about Nazism being staunchly democratic. Sweden was also for historical reasons considerably more concerned about possible Soviet/Russian agression than German.

The overriding Swedish foreign policy concern was finding enough of a guarantee against Soviet/Russian expansion. As long as Germany provided it, the German side was preferred. When the US became the best bet on containing the SU, Sweden dropped Germany.

Around 1944 or whatever the allies might ask of the Swedes, they were given, short of entrance into the war proper.

It's not rocket science. The one weird bit is that Sweden in all cases refused entering into a formal alliance.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 10:08
Originally posted by Joinville

But yeah, it was clearly supportive of the German cause.

Do you mean out of necessity or preference?

Sweden was divided. Traditionally pro-German since the German unification. Not particularily happy about Nazism being staunchly democratic. Sweden was also for historical reasons considerably more concerned about possible Soviet/Russian agression than German.

The overriding Swedish foreign policy concern was finding enough of a guarantee against Soviet/Russian expansion. As long as Germany provided it, the German side was preferred. When the US became the best bet on containing the SU, Sweden dropped Germany.

Around 1944 or whatever the allies might ask of the Swedes, they were given, short of entrance into the war proper.

It's not rocket science. The one weird bit is that Sweden in all cases refused entering into a formal alliance.

I was being sarcastic actually, apologies.

I believe that Sweden was neutral and rather supportive of the allies. It certainly, other than economic issues, was supportive of the Allies.

Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 10:11
Originally posted by Majkes

Sorry, but believing in Hitler's speaches as a source of knowledge what Hitler was going to do is a little naive.

Majkes, I was not using it as a source of knowledge for what hitler was going to do, i was using it as a source for what hitler probably was not going to do.
The idea here is not that Hitlers Speeches are a footnote for his plans, but merely that they give an indication of his motives in the long run.

It is merely another piece of evidence that adds to the picture that "Hitler was not going to Take over the world", in an attempt to bring Hitler from Super James Bond Villain, back to being an evil, oppressive dictator. Thats all.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 15:46
hehe, you both just prooved my points and probably didn't even noticed it. :D of course you can convince yourself with phrases like "but we also supported allies" or "we had to co-operate or face invasion" and stuff like that but the historical facts remain, dodgy foreign diplomacy and promises like "we would jon the war" haha, good ones. ;) many mayn countries had balls and DID face invasion and did not let themselv push around by Nazi Germany and put up a good ressistance and aided the allies much more than Sweden has done, liek Poland, Greec etc. and letting escaped Jews into the country...like wow, some AXIS members like Bulgaria and italy (before 43) didn't even handed their Jews over to Germany in the first place even though they had their soldiers in their country. while at the same time Sweden practised sterilisation of handicapped people....

remember, toleration equals cooperation, doing nothing is like helping them.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 17:26
Well thats ridiculous, Sweden's neutrality was advantagous to the Allies. It was also one less country to invade and sort out.

Better to have a neutral Sweden than ANOTHER Nazi Protectorate. And lets face it, as a protectorate, its Jews would have been erradicated.

"put up a good resistence", Sweden? Come on.

So they should have had the BALLS and acted like an arrogant nation and see their status taken from them within a few days - with absolutely no gain for anyone. What a great move that would have been.

Better neutral than allied heh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>