Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greeks, Romans, Egyptions and Chinese in the New World?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greeks, Romans, Egyptions and Chinese in the New World?
    Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 14:46
Mix. is right  Pyramids are everwhere, and they aren't all that similar so a connection here is rather far fetched (they are just a bunch of ancient tall square based buildings, that really all they have in common). However, I do think there must have been contact since 1. it was possible, you CAN sail an ancient ship across the atlantic, and 2. otherwise the distribution of some goods across the ancient world seem inexplicable to me.
Whatever you do, don't
sennacherib View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote sennacherib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 16:24

Originally posted by Teup

However, I do think there must have been contact since 1. it was possible, you CAN sail an ancient ship across the atlantic, and 2. otherwise the distribution of some goods across the ancient world seem inexplicable to me.

It was possible, but many things were possible for ancient people that we have no evidence of them doing. Things like steam-powered engines, even something as simple as hot-air balloons were possible to ancient cultures, but there is no evidence of them. Also there is the very important question of "will." Where is the motivation for sailing across an ocean of unknown size, for a purpose that is inherantly undefineable? Columbus and the other explorers of that period had large, ocean-worthy craft, a solid mission, and yet many of them sank beneath the waves never to be seen again.

The idea of ancient Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians venturing into the open Atlantic seems incredibly absurd to me. Sure, they "could" have done so, but there's no evidence of it. These coins and pots "found" by farmers in the 19th century prove nothing and are highly suspect. Archaeologists have been combing the US, Canada, and Latin America for a century now and have not uncovered anything that proves contact across the Atlantic... the only exception being the possibility that Vikings or Brendan sailed to northeastern Canada or possibly the New England area. It's interesting, and telling, that many of these "finds" occured in the 19th and early 20th centuries, before archaeology was a true science. The public had an immense appetite for the unusual and unexplained, as any look at the history of PT Barnum will readily illustrate.

No offense to the poster is intended... I think many of the things mentioned are interesting. I just think they are coincidental or fakes. That's my opinion though.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 17:00
If the Indians came from Siberia to America, why couldn't other civilizations cross the ocean?
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 17:30

sennacherib, I wonder how likely it is for entire civilizations to not explore the ocean when the tools are available. Surely most people would fear they'd fall off the earth or just drown, but it only takes 1 curious little group, in hundreds of years, by any of the mentioned civilizations, to first establish contact. America has been 'discovered' several times, after all... True, this might have been because of accident, or because there was no turning back, but those conditions could've arisen long before the middle ages just as well. And if there had indeed been contact, no matter how insignificant at first, they must've really exploited it and established connections for trade, at least, that would seem logical to me. I'm not saying the resources that were there must have been used, I just wonder how likely it is they were not.

Whatever you do, don't
Knight
Knight

Quote sennacherib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 17:43

Originally posted by coolstorm

If the Indians came from Siberia to America, why couldn't other civilizations cross the ocean?

It is thought that they came via a land bridge many, many thousands of years ago. This is of course not known as absolute fact, but the evidence certainly suggests it is a valid theory. There is no evidence to suggest that ancient peoples sailed across the ocean to America. I am not saying its impossible, just that there's no solid evidence.

Knight
Knight

Quote sennacherib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 18:08

sennacherib, I wonder how likely it is for entire civilizations to not explore the ocean when the tools are available.

For the same reasons why they didn't invent of attempt a great many other things... they had no motivation or spark to do so. The Egyptians built the Pyramids... they were engineers of tremendous skill, no one (I don't think) would doubt that. However, there's no evidence they even explored the whole of their own continent in ancient times, much less sailed around it, nor set off across open water in ships not designed for that task. And why should they have? What possible interest would they have had in financing an operation of blind exploration over open ocean? Ancient peoples simply did not do this, at least as far as is known. Now, the report of oriental craft off the American coast in the 16th century... perhaps. By that time period exploration and open-water sailing was not as bizarre, and there were people willing to finance such operations. I am not willing to assume that ancient people did everything under the sun they were capable of doing. Just because it could have been done, doesn't mean it was done.

Surely most people would fear they'd fall off the earth or just drown, but it only takes 1 curious little group, in hundreds of years, by any of the mentioned civilizations, to first establish contact.

Sure, that's all it takes. However, that still doesn't prove, or even make it likely, that it happened. Please understand, I think it would be magnificent if it were true, but after all this time, and after all the solid info we have from the peoples in question, nothing close to proof has ever surfaced. What we have is equivalent to the "proof" that people have regarding alien visitors... lots of people say they believe it, but the evidence is far from conclusive.

America has been 'discovered' several times, after all... True, this might have been because of accident, or because there was no turning back, but those conditions could've arisen long before the middle ages just as well.

By whom?

And if there had indeed been contact, no matter how insignificant at first, they must've really exploited it and established connections for trade, at least, that would seem logical to me. I'm not saying the resources that were there must have been used, I just wonder how likely it is they were not.

But there's no evidence of that... none at all. I'm not about to tell you how to think, but I believe we are just approaching things differently. I don't think it's useful to assume cultures did things simply based upon what they "could" have done. My assertion is they did things, we study them to find out what they did, and we don't speculate any further unless there is good reason to believe otherwise. Currently, there is no reason (IMO) to believe that any ancient civilization made voyages of exploration to America, on accident or otherwise. the Viking connection gives me pause, only because of the wandering zest of the people and their relative closeness to Iceland, Greenland, and the northeastern Canadian coastline. I think if any other culture had made such contact, especially on purpose, there would be records of it... especially in light of all the surviving records from Egypt, Greece, and Rome.

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 18:41

sennacherib, you're right on not assuming something until it's proven. However, it depends on what you call 'the assumption' - one can argue them going there is an assumption, but also them just staying where they are.

America has been discovered by chance by the native americans, by the vikings because they had nothing to lose or there was no turning back, and by Columbus by accident. So to me, it seems 'discovering america' is of all times. And the time of Egyptians, Greeks and Romans is right in the middle of this period. Ok, now the native americans just walked (I think coolstorm knew when he made this comment). But they did move there! They had motivation to cross that land bridge, and in my opinion, crossing a landbridge from one continent to another on foot takes just as much motivation (if not more) than sailing there when you have the ships right in your harbour. Humans have always moved into foreign territory, it's just what they do.

Allright, maybe they didn't go there - the Egyptians maybe didn't move alot either. I'm not saying I'm convinced or anything - but I think the odds are pretty good.

That's as far as my point goes. Now, the other finds may prove whether or not there indeed was any contact, I haven't done my homework for this - but my point is that the whole issue about if they could/wanted to doesn't have to be in favour of the proposition that there was no contact. Yes, they were capable. Maybe, they did it. Depends on the other debates.

Whatever you do, don't
Knight
Knight

Quote sennacherib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 19:33

"I'm not saying I'm convinced or anything - but I think the odds are pretty good."

I think I understand what you mean, and I enjoy discussing it with you.

Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 04:29

I wish I knew more about this actual subject, but I'm just using my logic.

I recall in this documentary I saw, there was a drawing by Plato of a plain in Atlantis, both the shape and size exactly matched a plain in South America, which also had been submerged later (and which is a dry plain again today). Remains of a sophisticated city were found there. Now this program was quite a while back and it's just some documentary, but maybe anyone knows the details on this? Or any articles? It all seemed very convincing... if it's true, that is.

Whatever you do, don't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 04:38

I recall in this documentary I saw, there was a drawing by Plato of a plain in Atlantis, both the shape and size exactly matched a plain in South America, which also had been submerged later (and which is a dry plain again today). Remains of a sophisticated city were found there. Now this program was quite a while back and it's just some documentary, but maybe anyone knows the details on this? Or any articles? It all seemed very convincing... if it's true, that is.

It was on discovery channel. Most such theories on discovery are bullsh*t, so I'm afraid that one as well. I remember that one of his evidences was that 'atl' is Nahuatl for water and 'antis' Quecha for copper. I know some Nahuatl, so I can tell the 'atl' part is nonsense. The -tl ending is removed when another wordt is added to atl, so it would have been 'aantis' (plus 'tl' was pronounced like a 't'-like sound in early Nahuatl).

I don't think Atlantis existed at all, Plato used it metaphorically.
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 05:52

yeah exactly, I remember that part - I thought that one was total far fetched bullsh*t as well, and I didn't even know Nahuatl so it makes even less sense now

But as for the drawings they showed, that looked pretty plausible.. either it is true, or they're having fake pictures there and lie about it - either outcome would raise me an eyebrow, so I'd really like to see a good refutation to this theory. Maybe Atlantis was metaphorically, but that was also the assumption with Troy, before they discovered it had some more roots in actual history than expected. And that goes for many things, mythology also seems purely metaphoric, but these gods could very well have been ordinary kings at some point. It's just a matter of exactly how much of it is true.

Oh, and about the wishful thinking that had been mentioned earlier on, I don't have any 'preference' so to speak... the thought there was contact is just as pleasing as the thought south america was really isolated all this time

Whatever you do, don't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 06:00
Apart from the vikings the only evidence of a pre-columbian discovery that IMO is sufficiently proved is the voyagee of Corte Real, Kolno, Pining and Pothorst to the "Land of the Codfish" (aka Bacalhau, most likely Newfoundland or Nova Scotia) in 1472. Corte Real was granted an estate on de Azores for disovering it, and the name Bacalhau appeared on several maps on the place of Newfoundland.
I think there have been more contacts apart from the Vikings and Corte Real & co., though I don't know which.
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 12:00
I think if any other culture had made such contact, especially on purpose, there would be records of it... especially in light of all the surviving records from Egypt, Greece, and Rome.
endquote

what about that great library of egypt that was burnt and they lost alot of records?

However, there's no evidence they even explored the whole of their own continent in ancient times, much less sailed around it,
endquote

i believe a read somewhere that a pharoh once hired some phoenician sailors to sail around africa, however i am not sure of this.
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 10:13

Reviving a topic I found interesting. Could'nt some of the discoveries have been genuine? I mean its perfectly possible that some sailors got lost, and landed in the Americas. And vice versa.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 14:18
Originally posted by Sparten

Reviving a topic I found interesting. Could'nt some of the discoveries have been genuine? I mean its perfectly possible that some sailors got lost, and landed in the Americas. And vice versa.

It's possible, but they didn't leave any traces if that ever did happen. There's nothing to really suggest they made any impact on native cultures, unlike the stronger claimants like the Vikings - iron artifacts, created by the Vikings, are quite common in Thule Inuit settlements in Greenland and Baffin Island.

A return trip in ancient vessels is pretty far-fetched. Until the time of the Vikings all ancient vessels were coasters, not meant for the high seas. The most advanced could venture out of the Meditteranean and hug the Atlantic coastlines, to travel the coasts of Africa or go from the Straits to the Channel. Some of the later roundship designs, like the Roman ones, might have been able to survive the Atlantic away from shore on a relatively calm day, but would be under the moment a wind kicked up.
Qin Dynasty View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Qin Dynasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 01:41

it is not that difficult as some of u imagine for anicent people to move from one continent to another or sail through open sea. There are lots of evidences showing that the Chinese race in fact came all the way from Mesopotamia area and finally settled in the Yellow river basin.

also, it is not impossible for the oreintal people to sail along the ocean current to America or by crossing the Bering strait . Never underestimate the capacity of human beings. They might act as planned or by accident.

So it is very hard to conclude absolutely. About 2200 years ago, the Chin's first emperor once assigned 3000 men and women aboard to search the legendary island on the Pacific where immortal pills could be found. But what happened to those men and women, history is silent.

And history is always silent. What we have recorded is only a tiny and selective(due to subjecitve or objective reasons)fraction of the whole human activities.

So before a time shuttle machine being invented, no presumption is absurd or impossible as long as it is practical in theory. Historians and archaeologists still have pretty much work ahead.

here is one of the pyramids in China

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 08:07

But what happened to those men and women, history is silent.

Probably dead.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 09:45

this should be moved to historical amusement.

this is ridiculous for these reasons:

1) there are no accounts by romans or egyptians of a "new world"

2) the different ages of the coins suggest that romans would have had to have been coming to and from the new world, which is impossible, and again, with no accounts by the romans.

3) if these evidences were true we wouldnt be reading it from a site like that, it would be on the news,  in encyclopaedia's, etc...

Originally posted by coolstorm

they walked from siberia to the america's from the bering straight during the ice age. they didnt use ships.

Edited by prsn41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 11:54
Hi,
May I had

4) If Roman/Chinese who ever went there for commercial reasons would
they have trade with their own currency???

Bye.
I am a free donkey!
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 16:35

The great majority of the "evidence" posted in the initial few posts is either hoaxes, or simply made up. I almost laughed when I saw that allegedly coins that had been "invented" by emperor Huangtu in 2637BC were discovered in the Americas... I mean, the very existence of that emperor has not been corroborated by archeological evidence in China itself,let alone the Americas.

Anyway, here's an interesting article on the tests that revealed traces of nicotine from tobacco as well as cocaine (American plants) in Egyptian mummies. Unlike other claims, these tests have been conducted in a scientific manner. The article explains the presence of tobacco quite well, but the presence of traces of cocaine is still somewhat of a mystery.

http://www.hallofmaat.com/modules.php?name=Articles&file =article&sid=45

I think that there is a possibility that there was sporadic contact before the Vikings, but it was probably mostly accidental. To those that argue about the unsuitability of ancient seacraft to cross the Atlantic and the Pacific, I'd remind them of the achievements of the Polynesians, who somehow managed to colonize Hawaii, New Zealand and Easter Island, although they were separated by thousands of kilometers from the nearest islands. It was certainly not impossible, although the crafts of most of the civilizations rumored to have crossed the Atlantic (Greeks, Phoenicians, Romans), were very different from Polynesian crafts.

Overall, I would say that cultural and scientific links were minimal at best, and whatever contact there was, it had virtually no influence on the development of Native American civilisations.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>