Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Viking historical achievements.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viking historical achievements.
    Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 01:49
Yes the first time I also believe involved the Kievian price Sviatoslav who commanded the Rus to plunder the villages around Byzantiom after he couldn't successfully siege it because of the protection it had from deadly royal navy. Norwich writes that this prince was particularly cruel and impaled many people to steaks in order to intimidate the Byzantines. Later on the Emperor John Tizimikes met and negotiated an end to the war after Sviatoslav was besieged by the royal army.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 02:07
For naval battles, they were at a huge disadvantage, due to the design of their ships.  Viking ships were designed mainly for amphibious landings and speed over large bodies of water.  It was foolish of them to engage the Byzantines in the water.  The Byzantine ships were much better weapons platforms and I'm not sure if they had a battle ram:

Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 05:01
Smile Thank you Hellios, the links, the description, and even the video, were all very informative and cool. Overall a great thread, good responses from everybody, and I am proud of my ancestral heritage (Swedish from my mother's side), considering that my parents named me "Eric" from my mother's uncle, who in turn was named after Eirik the Red by his.

Good stuff,
Eric

Edited by Preobrazhenskoe - 14-Oct-2006 at 05:02
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 07:22
Originally posted by pinguin

Vikings were those Norse that worked as pirates. Now, some of those Norse settled in France and become the Normands. OK?  Those were not Germanic, Celtic or Anglo people, less Gauls or Latins. They were Norse.

Pinguin.

Boy, you are so lucky Quetzalcoatl is not around anymore... He called me a Germanic supremacist and a Nazi over suggesting much less. LOL

Yeah, there are Vikings in the Norman ancestry, and for the first generations it was probably quite strong. But the group of Vikings who settled in Normandy in the tenth century was all male and not very large (couple of hundred at the most), so by the twelfth century they had changed and were assimilated in the much bigger Frankish population. The third duke was no longer able to speak Norse, we know because chroniclers commented on it. By the time of William the Bastard, they had no connection to the Scandinavians anymore whatsoever.

To say twelfth century Normans are Norse is really not true.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 14-Oct-2006 at 07:24

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 08:12
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Vikings were those Norse that worked as pirates. Now, some of those Norse settled in France and become the Normands. OK?  Those were not Germanic, Celtic or Anglo people, less Gauls or Latins. They were Norse.

Pinguin.

Boy, you are so lucky Quetzalcoatl is not around anymore... He called me a Germanic supremacist and a Nazi over suggesting much less. LOL

Well, I believe that deserves an explanation. I am Latin American, therefore I do have an universal mentality. We are acustumed to consider that people all over the world are the same, perhaps by the influence of Catholicism in our society. Therefore, for me, Vikings (or Norse) are an interesting people but they are nothing less and nothing more than just a human group more, with all its defects and virtues.

That Nazis copied Norse symbology, starting from proto-Nazis like Wagner, is not the fault of the ancient or modern Scandinavian people. Nazi also copied the buddist swastica, for instance, and that's not the fault of the buddists.

Yeah, there are Vikings in the Norman ancestry, and for the first generations it was probably quite strong. But the group of Vikings who settled in Normandy in the tenth century was all male and not very large (couple of hundred at the most), so by the twelfth century they had changed and were assimilated in the much bigger Frankish population. The third duke was no longer able to speak Norse, we know because chroniclers commented on it. By the time of William the Bastard, they had no connection to the Scandinavians anymore whatsoever.

To say twelfth century Normans are Norse is really not true.

That's interesting. They assimilated to the Franks, then. But they still mantained certain cultural elements from norse culture, isn't? like the longships. I may be wrong, but I believe William the conqueror used those ships to invade England.

Pinguin
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 08:45
Originally posted by Gun Powder Ma

The Gothic of the Ile de France did not invent anything new, they just put together an architectural puzzle which became called Gothic style. The Normans made an important contribution, in fact so important that many English historians of architecture still argue that the Gothic as distinctive style had first appeared in England, notably at the cathedral of Durham.

Oh, English historians are always claiming something like that. Doesn't matter what's the issue.

At international conferences for historians, medievalists in particular, the "continentals" can have an interesting discussion about something Italian, German, French, whatever, and up will pop some priss English historian or other and start telling the assembly that whatever it is they're talking about it was done bigger, better and before in England.

It usually draws a continental snigger.
One must not insult the future.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 08:52

Well, I believe that deserves an explanation. I am Latin American, therefore I do have an universal mentality. We are acustumed to consider that people all over the world are the same, perhaps by the influence of Catholicism in our society. Therefore, for me, Vikings (or Norse) are an interesting people but they are nothing less and nothing more than just a human group more, with all its defects and virtues.

That Nazis copied Norse symbology, starting from proto-Nazis like Wagner, is not the fault of the ancient or modern Scandinavian people. Nazi also copied the buddist swastica, for instance, and that's not the fault of the buddists.
Well, Q was a bit of a French supremacist. It was this thread I was referring to:

It is somewhat lengthy though....

That's interesting. They assimilated to the Franks, then. But they still mantained certain cultural elements from norse culture, isn't? like the longships. I may be wrong, but I believe William the conqueror used those ships to invade England.

Pinguin

The ships might be pretty similar, I don't know a lot about ships but I think that ships from different counties in this period were pretty similar. There was a lot of trade and other contacts, so they would have seen each others designs, and technological levels were the same. You never change a winning team, so a good working design would say in use....

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 09:16
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

The ships might be pretty similar, I don't know a lot about ships but I think that ships from different counties in this period were pretty similar. There was a lot of trade and other contacts, so they would have seen each others designs, and technological levels were the same. You never change a winning team, so a good working design would say in use....
Only in visual appearance, but there is much more to a succesful design than that. For example modern replicas of longships are not nearly as good as the best of those built a 1000 years ago. Much has been lost. In any case the Vikings did bring their art of shipmaking to Normandy. That's not relevant whether you can call Normans Vikings though.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 09:34

You're right. In the ASC on the year 896 it says:

Then King Alfred gave orders for building long ships

against the esks, which were full-nigh twice as long as the

others.  Some had sixty oars, some more; and they were both

swifter and steadier, and also higher than the others.  They were

not shaped either after the Frisian or the Danish model, but so

as he himself thought that they might be most serviceable.

But the fact that many nautical terms in English and French are from Scandinavian origin suggests that they had a big influence on shipbuilding and seafaring all through western Europe. Alfred was a warrior and a scolar but he was no carperter or shipbuilder. He must have gotten his inspiration from somewhere.

Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 15:49
Originally posted by Joinville

At international conferences for historians, medievalists in particular, the "continentals" can have an interesting discussion about something Italian, German, French, whatever, and up will pop some priss English historian or other and start telling the assembly that whatever it is they're talking about it was done bigger, better and before in England.

You mean the English are the Chinese of Europe?  Actually, every country has had this phase, but some just don't want to grow up. Wink
Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 15:57
What the English have to boast is the medieval Lincoln Cathedral, the first building in Europe to tower over the Grand Pyramid at Giza in Egypt, and the tallest building in Europe for quite some time after it was erected. England also has the Roman era Wall of Hadrian, and many other great architectural feats, but let's face it, they don't overshadow the rest of Europe. And if anything, Gun Powder Ma, I would relate the British to the Japanese when it comes to the East, simply because the Japanese have this idea that they are not part of the continental Asian world, something special on their island alone (rediculous considering how much they borrowed from ancient China and Korea), while the British hold themselves in the same high esteem, not part of continental Europe, with their pounds instead of Euros, etc.

Eric

Edited by Preobrazhenskoe - 14-Oct-2006 at 15:59
Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 16:23
They are back to holding second place. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_churches_in_the_world
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 20:40
This Viking ship appears to be carrying 1 or 2 small boats on board.  Is this just the artist's imagination or probably true?

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 08:15
I think this is an artists impression. I saw the Skuldelev ships and their replica's in Roskilde last May, I do not think even the biggest ships would have room for a boat on deck. They are quite small in our modern eyes.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 17:16
There might have been longships far longer than anything that has come down to us. Pure speculation of course, but in the sagas longships that far outsize those we have found are mentioned on several occasions, I guess Olaf Tryggvason's Long Serpent is the most famous.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 18:21
That could more easily be romanticism.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 22:20
Depends on what you mean by "romanticism", I take it you're using the term somewhat widely, seeing as the sagas were written many centuries before the artistic direction known as romanticism developed.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 01:23
"The most striking discovery was the biggest longship yet found, 119 feet long, with room for at least 72 oars and a crew of 100. With a huge, 2,175-square-foot sail, the ship must have been swift and formidable.  The excavators speculate that this ship, like the others in Roskilde harbor, may have gone down in a severe storm, then become hidden in silt.  Tree-ring analysis of the high-quality oak used for its timbers suggests a construction date of around 1025 AD."

Write your name in RUNES:

Edited by Hellios - 16-Oct-2006 at 01:24
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 04:42
In the Vikingskipsmuseet it was suggested the ships were deliberately sunk in the fjord to block an attack from Norway. It would be a too big coincidence if one storm sunk 6 ships on the exact same spot on top of each other.... And all the ships are estimated to have been quite old and stripped when they sunk.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 05:38

I found my pics of Roskilde Big smile. The biggest ship found is the on in the middle of the upper pic. (well, it's replica of course), and in the upper left corner of the lower pic....

One of the original ships inside... I'm not sure which one, might be the second war-ship, a 40-oar drakkar, or it might be a trader...

Sorry for the rotten size, but I can't upload the bigger ones, they're 500kb...

Edited by Aelfgifu - 16-Oct-2006 at 05:56

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>