Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnglo Saxons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anglo Saxons
    Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 15:56
First of all, Rohanian and Rohirrhim are the same exact things.

Second of all, they could not be soley based on Anglo-Saxons was my point.

Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 15:58
Tolkein NEVER used the word "Rohanian" you made up that that word
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 18:58
It still refers to the nation of Rohan. Besides, this is a history forum, not a Lord of the Rings geek "you used the wrong word" forum.

Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 21:32
I was just trying to help you out by giving you the correct word. 
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 21:39
Sorry, then, I thought you were getting like those Star Trek geeks and just go nuts because I was using an incorrect word.

Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 21:51
nope, just trying to help you out. I do take Tolkien very seriously though. one of the greatest authors of our century
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 22:01
I would not go as far as to say that. Many other authors are deserving rather than a fiction writer.

Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 22:13
well lets just agree to disagree on that one
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 05:06
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I would not go as far as to say that. Many other authors are deserving rather than a fiction writer.

Achilles said ''one of the greatest''-not ''the greatest''...And many literary critics are of his opinion...Btw-seems to me it's not up to u to say who's the greatest and who's not-i mean-u're 15 years old (i just saw it)!...A 15-year old can hardly be a competent literary critic. Your intellect and imagination are not yet fully developed... 
"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 10:29
First of all, I have read many books in my time. Second of all, I know what he said. A man like Tolkien is the top 100, sure, but to compare him to non-fiction authors is like comparing apples and oranges. And at least I have my age in the profile and your age is unknown. Does that make you a competent literary critic? And did I say I was a literary critic? I said in my opinion of course. At least at fifteen years old I can speek English without text crap like "u're" and not capitalizing "I". You also do not even use periods, just dashes and repeating dots.

Edited by Emperor Barbarossa - 09-Jun-2006 at 10:43

Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 11:09
Barbarossa, many of us here do not speak english as our first language, so don't critize his English typing skills
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 14:13
I would not have insulted his misuse of the English language had he not insulted my competency to hold an opinion on the greatest authors of the twentieth century.

Gavriel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 05:06
Wasnt Tolkein a student of saxon languages?i think i read somewhere that he studied old English folktales and history (i may be wrong,i hardly know anything about the man).But he probably got the idea for the Rohirrim from studying history,they certainly have a Saxon look about them (in a romantic kindaway).
I had a look online of the soldiers and they had Goggle helms,chainmail and leather armour,which is what the Saxons would look like (Romanticly).
But i think the similarities end there,the Saxons of England were an Infantry based force,there was some Cavalry but the majority were footsoldiers (thank god).The Tolkein people are Cavalry orientated which i dont see as a saxon trait.

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 09:22
Yes, Gavriel, that is why I also said they were similar to an Asiatic nomadic people, an example being the Mongols, because the horse was practically sacred to the Rohrrhim. I have read that Tolkien based the Elven language off of Welsh and Finnish also. Maybe that explains why the Elves are really good longbowmen.

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 15:55

First of all, I have read many books in my time. Second of all, I know what he said. A man like Tolkien is the top 100, sure, but to compare him to non-fiction authors is like comparing apples and oranges.

I'm sure u read many books, but it doesn't mean you understood them correctly-or understood them at all, eventhough you think so. You'll see for yourself in a few years from now, if you choose to re-read some of those books.

And at least I have my age in the profile and your age is unknown. Does that make you a competent literary critic? 

My age is irrelevant (btw, I'm 24).One's age does not make him a literary critic..

At least at fifteen years old I can speek English without text crap like "u're" and not capitalizing "I". 

Believe me, when I  speak English, I always use capitol "I".LOL And most of us on this forum (and other internet forums) tend to use "u" instead of ''you'' and "r" instead of ''are'' etc. Why? Because we're in a hurry, or we just want tp reply as soon as possible, or (like me) we can't type very fast. What's important is that we express our viewpoint in a manner  others can understand us. 

PS: Hopefully you won't report me to your English teacher.LOL Well, maybe if she's young...Wink

Edited by Socrates - 10-Jun-2006 at 15:56
"It's better to be a billionair for a lifetime then to live in poverty for a week"
               Bob Rock
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 16:06
Originally posted by Socrates

First of all, I have read many books in my time. Second of all, I know what he said. A man like Tolkien is the top 100, sure, but to compare him to non-fiction authors is like comparing apples and oranges.

I'm sure u read many books, but it doesn't mean you understood them correctly-or understood them at all, eventhough you think so. You'll see for yourself in a few years from now, if you choose to re-read some of those books.

And at least I have my age in the profile and your age is unknown. Does that make you a competent literary critic? 

My age is irrelevant (btw, I'm 24).One's age does not make him a literary critic..

At least at fifteen years old I can speek English without text crap like "u're" and not capitalizing "I". 

Believe me, when I  speak English, I always use capitol "I".LOL And most of us on this forum (and other internet forums) tend to use "u" instead of ''you'' and "r" instead of ''are'' etc. Why? Because we're in a hurry, or we just want tp reply as soon as possible, or (like me) we can't type very fast. What's important is that we express our viewpoint in a manner  others can understand us. 

PS: Hopefully you won't report me to your English teacher.LOL Well, maybe if she's young...Wink

You have contradicted yourself. You said that one's age is irrelevant to being a literary critic, yet you said that I was to young to have an opinion on literature.

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 16:24

You have contradicted yourself. You said that one's age is irrelevant to being a literary critic, yet you said that I was to young to have an opinion on literature.

OK-how many 15-years old literary critics do you know? I should have specified:age - in the sense of being 25 or 60 doesn't mean anything.You're not better at something just because you're older then someone else.However, there's got to be a certain age limit which is not stricktly defined and that varies from one individual to another, depending on many factors.

It's not possible that someone your age can comprehend things as someone more mature-it's a fact:your physical and mental powers haven't reached their peak yet...
               Bob Rock
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 21:22
Well I know many mature people that have never opened a book, not because they couldn't have the time to read but because they didn't want to.
That's why I'm more interesting to hear the critic of a ten year ( or fifteen at this case) old kid that read three books than a mature guy that thinks that books are a waste of time.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Stark View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 21:50
I haven't been on the board along time, or post much, but I've seen Emperor Barbarossa post some very good posts, and I think out of Emperor Barbarossa and Socrates, Emperor Barbarossa seems like the more mature one.

To say he can't understand because he is 15, and then turn around and say age doesn't matter makes you look kinda foolish I got to say. If you think that you can't understand at age 15, then someone who is 60 is going to think a 24 year old as no idea in hell, as he has lived over twice as long as you, and yet you have only lived 9 years longer then Emperor Barbarossa. Your logic has holes in it, and mine most likely does, but I would rather get my information from a 15 year old who knows what he is talking about, then a 24 year old who thinks you have to be older then him to know anything.
Winter Comes But We Do Not Sleep.
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 22:21
Originally posted by Stark

I haven't been on the board along time, or post much, but I've seen Emperor Barbarossa post some very good posts, and I think out of Emperor Barbarossa and Socrates, Emperor Barbarossa seems like the more mature one.

To say he can't understand because he is 15, and then turn around and say age doesn't matter makes you look kinda foolish I got to say. If you think that you can't understand at age 15, then someone who is 60 is going to think a 24 year old as no idea in hell, as he has lived over twice as long as you, and yet you have only lived 9 years longer then Emperor Barbarossa. Your logic has holes in it, and mine most likely does, but I would rather get my information from a 15 year old who knows what he is talking about, then a 24 year old who thinks you have to be older then him to know anything.

Thank you, Stark. I saw your poll about the Roman vs. Medieval Army and posted my opinion in it.

Addressed to Socrates:
I mean, I could take this from maybe a guy that is 34 or 44, but for a guy who just got out of college a year or two ago to tell me that I have no clue about literature is idiotic in itself. Contrary to your belief, I know what I am talking about. How many 24 year old literary critics do we see? Hardly any? How about a movie? If I say I hated Braveheart because it was historically innacurate, does that make my opinion baseless because I am not a critic. Of course not! Just because you are nine years older than me does not make your opinion anymore comprehensive than mine. How many 24 year old movie critics do we see? None. Does that mean your opinion would be stupid, and pointless? Of course not!

Edited by Emperor Barbarossa - 10-Jun-2006 at 22:23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>