Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mexican Population

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexican Population
    Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 11:24

As I know,after the wars against the Cortes,Tenochtitlan  was greatly ruined and Aztec population was killed in big numbers.Already,Aztecs weren't so crowded before the spanish invasion.

But now there are about 100 million people in Mexico and capital of them,Mexico City,has 30 million population too.

I wonder,who lives in Mexico so much now?What is the genetical background of current Mexican population?Are they purely Aztecs-Mayans or were they mixed with the Spanish ?

Edited by Jagatai Khan
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 11:35
The short answer:

Ethnic groups: mestizo (Amerindian-Spanish) 60%, Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%, white 9%, other 1%

Courtesy of the CIA world fact book.
It should be noted that there are a minorty of people of mostly African background, as well as many people of mixed background with a sprinkling of African in them, as people of middle eastern background too. Mexico doesn't count population the same way as America does, leading to complications in interpretation (though the US one is funny to IMHO), so for example, Mestico includes mixed people who have a bit of Asian and African background as well, and European i think includes near/middle easterners (as it does in the states, though its called 'white').
Of course, to the average American, Mexico is 100% Hispanic

The long answer is that since the 1800s, Mexico has to a degree defined itself as the Mestizo nation, the nation of peoples of mixed background who are justly and proudly Mexican, so exactly degrees of 'mixedness' (who isn't mixed when you think about it), are vauge.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 11:52
I'm not sure about this, so someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the Mexican census mainly bases their figures on language. Therefore in the official numbers only 10% of the Mexican population is Amerindian, because only 10% use Amerindian languages. 20% of the Mexican population is genetically Amerindian, but are counted as mestizo because they speak Spanish.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 11:56
Hmm, so how does the US get its figures then?
Coming to think of it, the CIA fact book has funny looking figures for alot of countries.
Anyone got a link to the Mexican Census Website (if indeed there is one)?
Arrrgh!!"
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 14:02

Hello Jagatai:

the last census of population in 2000 reflected 97 million population.
Back in 1986 we were 68 millions.

Mexico City and not New Mexico is the capital city of Mexico.

Mexico City is the second largest populated town in the world. Due the extension reached by Mexico City it is connected with the the State of Mexico.

Answering your question about the racial mixture down here in Mexico. Around 90% of the population is Mestizo ( mainly mix of native mexicans and spaniard ) around 90% of the population. The original mexican groups in global are 10 million population and a very few percentage of european and asiatic population.

African mexicans are mixed on the Mestizo group, mainly located in the mexican states of Guerrero in the Pacific , Veracruz and Tabasco on the Gulf of Mexico coast.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 15:01

Oh,pardon, I was confused;of course-the capital is Mexico City.

hmmm....I understand now.

I have a last question ;are the African Mexicans' origins the slaves who had brought there from Africa to work?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 15:58
Yes. They live mostly in the south the countryn near the coast. Though their numbers were never that great, as there were plenty of locals to put to work in the Silver mines/plantations (whichever applies, i can't renember).
Others have migrated to the big cities, and mixed in with the general mestizo population.
Apparently some Americans are upset that Mexicans don't count the number of Black people, perhaps Mexico should inturn complain that the US doesn't make a serious attempt to count the number of mixed people.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 06:19

Hmmm....

I have a one more question:Can the Mayans or Aztecs be discerned from each other looking their physical features?(this question's answer is certainly no).What are the differences between the Mayan and Aztec origined people?

Edited by Jagatai Khan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 06:41
At least linguistically Aztecs and Mayans are not related (unless you count the Amerindian language family, which isn't universally accepted among linguists). Mayans have their own language group, while Nahuatl (the Aztec language) is part of the Uto-Aztecan language group, which also contains Ute, Shoshone and Commanche. Most other Uto-Aztecan languages are spoken in NW Mexico and SW USA, so probably the origins of the Aztecs are there.
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 08:51

By visiting State of Mexico or the oushtern states you can tell the physicall difference beetwen Nahuas and Mayas.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 09:28

In his book Michael E. Smith states that in modern Mexico the term "indian" is rather a sign of lower social status than ancestry. I found this really interesting. Is this true?

Edited by Raider
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 11:04

Yes, it is used in a peyorative way.
Spaniard heritage, you know.
Trying to put down the pride towards our ancestors culture.

That started to change after the mexican revolution when the goverment started rescuing the mesoamerican historical sites and the education system was reformed to teach the ancient mexican cultures.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 11:24
Yes, it is true. But I would say that it is more dependent on cultural background than social class.

Because most Mexicans are so genetically mixed, it is very hard to tell Mexicans from "Indios." People are able to spot the differences by cloths, but if you dress a Mexican and a Indian with the same cloths, either traditional native garmets or westerned cloths, it is difficult to tell the difference. For example, I once talked in Spanish with a group of U.S. Native Americans because I believed they were Mexican.

For this reason, culture is the key marker. Differences in language, language accents, and cultural practices are what distinguish Mexicans from Native Americans. Mestizos returned the same feelings, and to this day "Indian" and "Gachupin"--Spaniard--are insults.

Mestizos were actually in a lower social class at first, being rejected by the Spaniards and the native people--children from rapes are not liked too much by either parent. Their social position raised by their numbers and after the war of Independence. They social positions was strengthened after the Mexican Revolution.

Americans tend to see a white elite running Mexico politcally and culturally, mapping their worldview to Mexico. I don't know how true this is. Many modern Mexican intellectuals are children of Spaniards who immigrated in the 1930s. Middle Easterners seem to control the business world, and they also immigrated in the early 20th century. I ignore how many descendents from 17th century criollos are in positions of power.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 11:29
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Yes, it is used in a peyorative way.
Spaniard heritage, you know.
Trying to put down the pride towards our ancestors culture.

That started to change after the mexican revolution when the goverment started rescuing the mesoamerican historical sites and the education system was reformed to teach the ancient mexican cultures.

This is true, but in a strange manner. On the one hand, Mexico praises their mesoamerican heritage. On the other, they still put down the people who have hold on to these cultures.

Furthermore, Mexicans don't consider themselves indians, even though their genetic makeup is more native-American than of 95% of people who claim so in the U.S.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 09:46

I have just read in a Hungarian history site that a petrified human footprint was found at Cerro Toluquilla, Mexico. The estimated age of these footprints are 40 thousand year. If this is true theory of the migration across the Asia-Alaska panhandle is false and the native american population is much more oldar than we thought.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 10:13
The Alaska migration still happened, it just wasn't the only one.
Arrrgh!!"
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 07:17

So,ancient Turkish language is very similar to native American language in modern south and west USA.

Eskimos' genes almost same  with Koreans by the way.

Post Reply Post Reply