Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavic nations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavic nations
    Posted: 10-May-2005 at 10:15
i have wondered. what are all the dominately slavic nations. i know alot of eastern european countries are predominatley slavic, but what are all the slavic nations?

i apoligize if this is in the wrong forum

Edited by white dragon
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 12:17
Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia & Montenegro, Fyrom, Albania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Belarus & Russia (I don't think I forgot anyone).

Hungary, Romania and Moldova aren't Slavic IMO. Neither the Baltics are.
Vae victis!
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 12:20
And Bosnia & Hercegovina !
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 14:23
Ummm, were not slavs.
Nobody is too sure. but we are definately not slavs.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 18:23

Aye Albanians are not Slavic people. Bulgarians are slavicised Turks.

I dont know if they can be called a nation but there are Sorbs in Germany, descendats of the medieval Slavs who were living there and were conquered by Germans.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 18:38
Hungary is not slavic?... i know they decendands of Magyars but they have probably interbred with slavs havent they??
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 18:51
well, actually the notion "slav" is linguistic. Try to compare the western slavs, the eastern slavs and the southern slavs from balkans. They even look different and have different customs, traditions and religions. The only thing they all share is is more or less similar language.
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 19:14
Genetics have also shown that many of the "slav" nations of today in the adriatic area of the balkans arent even of slavic descent. Some were as low as %15 of slavik origin.  However I am always cautious when looking at DNA studies.  Many of these studies though seem to be overwhelming.  

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 20:09

Well, one member of AE posted this genetic map in the past. Altough im not really sure how to interpretate it. The way i was doing it the first time i saw it after short studies appeared to be completely wrong. This map was long debated on AE forums but i dont remember if there were any constructive results. But for sure the map shows some genetic differences.

haplogroups7he.jpg

Edited by Mosquito
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 22:38

Yes, as well as some trends.  For instance:

1.  The highest concentration of hp 1 is in Ireland with huge majorities in rest of western Europe.  The further east you go the less concentration there is of it.  By the time you get to Germany it becomes a minority.

2.  The highest concentration of hp 3 is in the northern Indian subcontinent with majorities going into central Asia and into eastern Europe but with considerable outliers in Scandinavia and Britain.

3.  The highest concentration of hp 2 is in eastern Scandinavia, which as you go south into the Continent dissipates throughout Europe with "island" majorities in the Ukraine and the western Balkans.  We find a sizable proportion of this haplotype among Anatolian and trans-Caucasian peoples but again find large proportions among peoples of the northern India subcontinent.

4.  The highest concentration of hp 16 is in the easternmost Scandinavia with majority concentrations in the Baltics and northeastern Europe. 

5.  The highest concentration of hp 9 is the Middle East with sizable concentrations in northern Africa and into the northern Indian subcontinent.  Sizable European frequencies are in Greece and Italy with much dissipation further north.

6.  The highest concentration of hp 21 is in northern Africa with sizable concentrations in the middle east and Greece, with dissipations throughout most of Europe and the rest of western Asia. 

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 09:24
Originally posted by Mosquito

Bulgaria was created as an union between 7 slav tribes and Bulgars! Citation: "...Today we are almost sure that Bulgars are not Turks or Mongols, they belong to the Iranian tribes and their motherland is Balhara - northern Afghanistan..." Professor Bojidar Dimitrov, director of National Historical Museum of Bulgaria

Everybody listen only this which understands.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 10:44
Originally posted by tzar

Bulgaria was created as an union between 7 slav tribes and Bulgars! Citation: "...Today we are almost sure that Bulgars are not Turks or Mongols, they belong to the Iranian tribes and their motherland is Balhara - northern Afghanistan..." Professor Bojidar Dimitrov, director of National Historical Museum of Bulgaria

Com'on, all Bulgars, Avars, Ongars were originally Turkic tribes from western steppes, today's Kazakhstan. But today, Bulgarians can be considered as Slavic.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 11:30
Actually on this genetic map Greeks, Bulgarians and Turks look quite similar. But in fact bulgarians look even more similar to yugoslavians.

Edited by Mosquito
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 11:46

Actually on this genetic map Greeks, Bulgarians and Turks look quite similar. But in fact bulgarians look even more similar to yugoslavians.

Bulgarians dont look that similar to us in this map. They look quite similar to Slavs.

Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 13:04
Which is backed up/explains the change of a former (Turkic/Iranic?) language to Slavic. 
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 14:02
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Bulgarians dont look that similar to us in this map. They look quite similar to Slavs.

I wouldnt generalise that much. From all the slavs they look similar only to Yugoslavians. Please notice that even Slovenians who are close to them are different. And notice that most of slavic nations on the map got a lot of HG 3 while Bulgarians and Yugoslavians not. Pity that the authors of this map didnt check Croats and Albanians.

Edited by Mosquito
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 14:30

I dont know if they can be called a nation but there are Sorbs in Germany, descendats of the medieval Slavs who were living there and were conquered by Germans.

in fact Charlemagne conquered and subjugated those western Slav tribes, Germans just "inherited" these dominions.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 14:35
Originally posted by Temujin

in fact Charlemagne conquered and subjugated those western Slav tribes, Germans just "inherited" these dominions.

If i remember well in the end of 10th century and in begining of 11 century both Germans and Poles were fighting against some independent slavic tribes on the territory of this what was known as eastern Germany.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 14:46
yes, apparently eastern Franks/Germans lost control over most Slavic tribes before Otto I. and most tribes were not completely under German sovereignity until the late 12th/ early13th century or so...there were also regular uprisings of one or more tribes at some points.
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 00:56
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Originally posted by tzar

Com'on, all Bulgars, Avars, Ongars were originally Turkic tribes from western steppes, today's Kazakhstan. But today, Bulgarians can be considered as Slavic.

Even if they were not from Balhara they were for sure completely different from those others listed. The proof of this is that they probably always fought them when ever in contact.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>