Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arrows and armor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
lancelotfr View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote lancelotfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arrows and armor
    Posted: 06-Feb-2011 at 12:04
According to what i read it seems it's not realy clear:
- It seems admitted that crossbow could pierce all kind of armor.
- Many people admit that mailed armored could be easly pierced bye arrow.

But what about arrows vs full plate armor?
- Some people say it's quite impossible for arrow to go trough trough plate armor like gothics one
- Some other say it was possible, it depend specialy of arrow head?

What do you know about that?

Thanks
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2011 at 13:27
I know that an arrow with a steel tip will penetrate plate armour when shot with an English Longbow.  And someone who knows how to use it. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2011 at 11:19
Originally posted by lancelotfr

- Some people say it's quite impossible for arrow to go trough trough plate armor like gothics one
Originally posted by red clay

I know that an arrow with a steel tip will penetrate plate armour when shot with an English Longbow.  And someone who knows how to use it. 
Good point on the need for an expert user. 

I saw a great show once on the history channel which recreated long bow verse high quality plate armour.  The show demonstrated (as Red Clay states) that steel tiped arrows will penetrate even high quality plate.  The show also demonstrated that the arrow tip had to be:
- high quality steel
- be of a specific design 
-shot straight, though not necesarily truly point blank (no plunging arrow hits). 
-Not be deflected by angled armour

Most (if not all) English archers at Agnicourt did not have the combination of design and steel quality. Wealthy French knights had the best plate armour in the world that included very high quality steel and skilled use of slopes and angles to deflect projectiles.

But... not all French knights had the best plate or they mixed and matched the quality of armour pieces.  In the end. the show speculated that most French deaths at Agnicourt seem to be due to heat exhaustion and the murder of POWS, not arrow hits.  

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Feb-2011 at 16:16
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2011 at 15:22
I would agree that Agnicourt placed the very heavy armoured French knights in a situation whereby, they were mostly doomed!

One must remember that a lot of these knights were, for want of a better term, large and strong bullies! They were accustomed to merely pushing over most of their opponents! They probably thought of themselves, armoured to the extreem as "superman!", and thus were almost always "over-confident!" But, we really do not have any idea just what the ambiant temperture was on the day of battle, but wrapped in steel enclousures, it must be hard to preserve one's bodily fluids at a healthy level? After all they did not have plastic tubes to suck necessary water into their mouths and bodies!

Slogging thru mud, in these suits, must have been the equivalent of carrying a 30-40 kilo pack, upon their backs! This reguires a lot of energy, which means calories, which means heat, that needs to be dispersed (sweat/urine), and fluids needed to replinish the lost fluids!

Does any one ever consider just how hard it must be to fight within one of these suits?

In the midst of a battle, just how does one eliminate bodily wastes?

Just whom is around to give you a "safe" drink of water?

I think that some of you might well reconsider your views of the battle fields described by Homer at Troy? The chariots/wagons? were used to transport the knight to the field of battle, and to remove the knight when conditions warrented!

Contrary to popular movies, there is little way any man so encumbered as he must have been by layers of padding and steel armour, could fight at his extreem for more than ten to twenty minutes at the most! Encumber him more with deep mud, or water, and this time period must well shrink to a lessor period depending of course upon the level of fitness the kight was trained to endure!

Add to this the pressure upon the knights not to be knocked down, and have to regain one's footing in the mud, water, etc.!

There exists numerous examples of such battles over the centuries, many of which I have already mentioned in one of my numerous postings on this site!

Edited by opuslola - 07-Feb-2011 at 15:24
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2011 at 10:30
Originally posted by opuslola

Does any one ever consider just how hard it must be to fight within one of these suits?
I think what made the difference at Agnicourt was the mud, the funnel shaped battlefield, and the crowd stampede dynamics (too many enthusiastic knights attempting to rush forward into the "fatal funnel").

Medieval armour was very well designed and distributed its weight well.  Men wearing re created armour are surprisingly mobile. Then consider that knights trained in it for years.  On most battle fields, armoured knights were not lumbering "frankenstiens", but relatively fast moving and hard hitting  "panzers".  But, even panzers can get stuck...

Contrary to popular movies, there is little way any man so encumbered as he must have been by layers of padding and steel armour, could fight at his extreem for more than ten to twenty minutes at the most!
I agree, but that is probably all it usually took.  Opposing knights were going to tire just as quickly.  I imagine the shock of a mass charge of knights on trained war horses quickly shattered most  untrained and unarmoured men at arms opponents.  After 20 minutes, the battle turned into a pursuit of a fleeing enemy.

Edited by Cryptic - 08-Feb-2011 at 10:36
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 09:31
Originally posted by Cryptic

Good point on the need for an expert user. 

I saw a great show once on the history channel which recreated long bow verse high quality plate armour.  The show demonstrated (as Red Clay states) that steel tiped arrows will penetrate even high quality plate.  The show also demonstrated that the arrow tip had to be:
- high quality steel
- be of a specific design 
-shot straight, though not necesarily truly point blank (no plunging arrow hits). 
-Not be deflected by angled armour

Most (if not all) English archers at Agnicourt did not have the combination of design and steel quality. Wealthy French knights had the best plate armour in the world that included very high quality steel and skilled use of slopes and angles to deflect projectiles.

But... not all French knights had the best plate or they mixed and matched the quality of armour pieces.  In the end. the show speculated that most French deaths at Agnicourt seem to be due to heat exhaustion and the murder of POWS, not arrow hits.  

I believe that is where I got my information from.  I saw the same show.  Interestingly, as I recall they also showed that an Atlatl dart could achieve the same results.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 20:27
And, just why red-clay, would you describe what anyone else in the entire world wold describe as an "Atatl spear", be mentioned as a "dart?"

It seems an extreem streaeeetch?

The next "Dart" is now in your hands!

So, just how do any of you explain the Biblical"Darts?"

Edited by opuslola - 09-Feb-2011 at 20:34
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 20:34

And, just why red-clay, would you describe what anyone else in the entire world wold describe as an "Atatl spear", be mentioned as a "dart?"

So, just how do any of you explain the Biblical", Darts?"

They existed well before the cross-bow, or other machines, if we assume that the Biblical history if correct?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 09:47

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in experimental arch. it's called a dart.  See link-

BTW this is an excellent forum.

A spear is an object 5-8 ft long if made to be thrown.  8 to 12 ft if made to be used as a thrusting weapon.  Spears are thrown with the bare hand.

An Atlatl dart is usually approx. 30 inches more or less and thrown with an Atlatl or throwng stick.

The Atlatl preceded the bow.

Edited by red clay - 10-Feb-2011 at 09:51
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 10:33

Because they are darts.  In addition to the shorter length, Atatl darts are alot thinner than spears (usually a bamboo or similar type wood).  The darts are designed to compress  as  they are "cocked", and then flex once thrown.  It takes a fraction of a second but gives them alot of extra velocity.

I believe that is where I got my information from.  I saw the same show.  Interestingly, as I recall they also showed that an Atlatl dart could achieve the same results. 
I cant remember about the Atlatl dart, but I know they could bring down pre historic beasts.  Plate armour seems doable as well, but I bet alot of it despends on optimal steel tipped dart, optimal user, optimal range and optimal trajectory type situations.

Too bad The History Channel and The Learning Channel have devovled into Pawn Stars, American Pickers etc.CryDeadAngry

Edited by Cryptic - 10-Feb-2011 at 10:40
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 13:57
I don't know, I kind of like Pawn Stars.  You could look at it as a poor man's Antiques Roadshow.LOL

American Pickers, meh!  I made an excellent side living out of doing what they are.  Just beat'em to all the good stuff by 30 years.Big smile Really, the garbage they pay good bucks for, most of I wouldn't have taken for free.  Notice that they never show you an actual sale of any of the crap they find.  I've seen some strange deals on that show.  Case IP,  They paid 2,000 for a 1960's Juke Box.  It was going to take at least a grand to put it back into collectible shape.  They will have to get 4,000 for it to make it worth the effort.  In actuality, how many of them would you like?  Would you want one ready to roll? Complete with 60's records. There are several dealers in the Tri State area that have warehouses full of them. 60's jukes can run anywhere from 300 to 1,000 US.  They'll have to look pretty hard to find a sucker that will pay 4-5,000 for something like that.  You have to get into the mid 50's to get prices like that.  [I saw a 1955 SeeBurg go for 70,000 at auction.  But it was a full club system, complete with remote speakers and remote selection units, all in original mint condition.]

Edited by red clay - 10-Feb-2011 at 14:02
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2011 at 19:39
Actually, if you can consider a spear in the length of five to six feet a "dart", then you both are most generous!

Anything with a spear-point or arrow-point upon it in the length of five to six feet or more, is a "spear", and nothing else!

http://web.grinnell.edu/anthropology/Atlatl%20Stuff%20for%20John/CoachingtheAtlatl.htm

The above site, and numerous others that can be found with some dilligent research on the "net" will prove my point!

I have found no source that seems to show that the killing "spear" was less than 60 inches long!, much less 30 inches or so!

So! If you can produce an example of a 30 inch long accelerator, throwing a 30 inch spear, then please exhibit it here?

Note the spelling of the word for the 30 inch long notched piece of wood that led to the acceleration of the "dart", is, as far as I can tell never much longer than a mans fore-arm!, is open to one's opinion!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 11-Feb-2011 at 19:40
RollingWave View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote RollingWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 05:07

According to what i read it seems it's not realy clear:
- It seems admitted that crossbow could pierce all kind of armor.
- Many people admit that mailed armored could be easly pierced bye arrow.

What do you know about that?

Thanks
All of these are subject to limitations.

Crossbows can vary dramatically in strength.  a small one isn't any more likely to punch through armour than a decent bow.  Also crossbow's energy efficency rate is much poorer,  which means they'll lose momentum much sooner, thus their effective range of piercing is a significant quesiton.

Mail armour may or may not be pierced by arrows depending on many factors, for one thing, most soliders wearing mail will have a gamberson under or over the mail (or both) which adds to the dimension of it's arrow resistence significantly (this is also true for plate, most knights might have had a mail shirt and a gamberson under it , so your arrow will need to go through 3 whole layers of armour to hurt the knight). and of course the relative power of the bows and arrow in question.   though obviously mail is significantly inferior to plate in arrow defense to say the least. which is why knights went from large kite shields to smaller heater shields to no shield eventually.

typically the penetration of the arrow depend on several factor.

1. the pull-strenght of the bow (bigger the better as long as the archer can handle it)
2. the weight of the arrow  ( bigger / heavier the better as long as aerodynamics remains consistent)
3. the shape of the arrow head. (this part is much more complex as different head are good for different things)

Suffice to say, in the most ideal situation arrows could defeat plate armour, but that ideal situation typically occur quite rarely in a real life condition. one thing not noted is that arrow heads were typically made from considerablly poorer quality iron than armour fashioned specifically for nobles.  not to meantion as I pointed out previously, knights could and often did wear multiple layers of armour, defeating plate does not equate to hurting the knights. espeically if you lost most of the momentum in the process then even heavy clothes would stope the arrows from making more than a flesh wound.

In certain situations brigadine / plate could stop gunshots too, that doesn't mean it's ideal for that though.

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 13:52
What a good examination of the subject guys! Bravo!

But, we also have to assume that certain people in the past, that we might well call armourers, were up to the challenge, at least after a few mis-steps.

That is, battles were, it seems, common during a large period of the 14th thru the 17th century CE. And, just like today, there was a competition of sorts, for leaders, generals, Kings, Princes, Dukes, etc., to be able to field the best of both offensive and defensive items. Thus, one can consider that in the aftermath of either a loss or a victory, then certain persons were given to examine the results of their efforts, and figure out just what caused the loss of so many men, or what was the biggest factor that prevented the loss of men, or just what was the greatest item to surface during the battle, that could be used in the next one.

Now, I would like also to speculate, that, in my opinion at least, the average man or woman during those centuries, were to a great degree in possession of a greater native intelligence or IQ, than exists today.

They were not "mere brutes" or bullies, but both, with great IQ's! Thus if a Lord, or Captain, or Duke, who had survived the battlefield was brought back to the lines with a wound, or if merely their bodies were brought back, there would most probably be those who were interested in just how they were injured or killed, etc.

The same thing happens today! Thus if a bolt (or as I would consider it, a "dart") from a cross-bow, was found to have caused the injury or death of an armoured combatant, then a reason had to be found to explain it. And then, of course those warriors wearing the same type of armour, wanted to be sure that it did not happen again.

Thus the armour V. weapons race was begun! And, it also continues to this very day.

I could go on, but the very length of just this post, insures that most readers will not even get to this point!

regards,
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 21:08

Archers used different types of arrowheads depending on the purpose. A barbed arrow would be useful against unarmored infantry or horses while the bodkin point could easily penetrate mail or plate armor
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 21:47
Most arrows which penetrated full plate armour did so due to them finding the gaps. Ouch!
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 18:22
Nick, your dart heads look amazingly modern! Just why is that? Does there exist any of these "dart heads" that have been unearthed in Biblical battle fields?

Regards,
Ron
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 19:07
Arrows of this type were used by English longbowmen. They served the same function as armor-piercing bullets, being made of hardened steel. I have an original arrowhead at home with a very long point.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 20:16
Originally posted by Nick1986

Arrows of this type were used by English longbowmen. They served the same function as armor-piercing bullets, being made of hardened steel. I have an original arrowhead at home with a very long point.

I think I might have found some replicas of the type you're talking about here: http://www.archery-centre.co.uk/Catalogue/ArrowHeads.shtml

How often did longbows achieve a kill against those wearing full plate armour? 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2011 at 10:44
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

How often did longbows achieve a kill against those wearing full plate armour? 
That is very hard to say because alot of it depended on the design and build quality of the arrow head verse the quality of the particular suit of plate armour.   Then factor in point blank verse plunging arrows.

There could be a lot of variation in both.  At Agnicourt, very few of the english archers had the advanced arrow heads.  Almost all French casualties were due to heat exhaustion, crowd crush and by the English murdering prisoners after the battle.  At the same time, point blank fire using advanced arrow heads could penetrate the best plate armour.  

Edited by Cryptic - 31-May-2011 at 10:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>