Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just Curious?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Curious?
    Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 05:54
I'm just curious about something in relation to higher education?

Is it easier to get into UK Colleges and Universities if you are a foreign student?

In addition on the whole are they considerably cheaper and better in terms of quality of academics then American ones, I figure in quality they would be both about the same but maybe with the US slightly ahead as the United States offers more diverse choices and a wider range of academic institutions.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 15:30
I dont now if its easier to get in if your a forin national I do know you get priority when it comes to halls of residence.

but to counter the more diverse choices i can counter by we spend more time on the main topic of the degree so i think there about equel with the uk being better because we can drink at 18 and have better alcohol (bitter is better) (if some one can find breaksperes in america i will retract this statement oh and its a type of bitter bruewed in oxfordshire). it just comes down to personal preffrence and what course you want to do. for instace if you want to do physics go to Chambrige, Oxford or Liecester all of these are the UK ones (i know you yanks like steeling the names of placesBig%20smile).  if you want to study english dont bother going to a US university either i know i cant spell but there is no excuese for using z in sufexes or forgetting u's in certan words or more importanly pronancing aluminium roung like your intere country does and most of continental europe
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 22:24
ps in the UK colleges are where you do A-levels and only universites do degrees
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 19:40
There are a lot of Americans in my class in Trinity College Dublin. From what I gather they pay less going to one of Europes better colleges (our college is in the top 50 of Europe) than one of the top 50 in the US - At the same time, living expenses vary through many European cities, and Dublin is in the higher end of that expense. The major difference in doing a history degree in Europe as compared to USA is that there is a greater emphasis on single subject arts degrees, such as history than in the US. From what I gather in the US, the first few years of college is like an extension of high school, with students taking great and varied classes in their BA degree. I studied medieval history in my first year and nothing else so it was much more specified. /rant.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 19:59
Originally posted by Kevin

I'm just curious about something in relation to higher education?

Is it easier to get into UK Colleges and Universities if you are a foreign student?

In addition on the whole are they considerably cheaper and better in terms of quality of academics then American ones, I figure in quality they would be both about the same but maybe with the US slightly ahead as the United States offers more diverse choices and a wider range of academic institutions.  

Eh Parnell, ever heard of 1922? He asked about the UK; the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

My own experience as an undergrad and now a grad (from Sep 15) is that its easy if you are from

i) An english speaking country or an English-is-official-language country

ii) Have a school system based on the British system.

You obviously pass on the first, the second is a bit iffy, the Brits like to have O and A-Level type exams in a students transcript, so countrys with those, like most S Asian ones and New Zealand, do well. I actually saw less Americans than almost any other type in London University; mostly I am sure because of the excellent US College system, but it must have played a role, OTH quiet a few Yanks in Post Grad, one of our teachers was a grad student who had done his undergrad from U of Chicago.

Post Reply Post Reply