Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UAE arabs liberal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UAE arabs liberal?
    Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 16:34
why are UAE arabs specially Dubai so liberal compared with other gulf arabs and saudis? I went to dubai and locals there are also very friendly and most know english and most are very well educated.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 18:24
Money most likely, though I've never being to Dubai.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 18:42
well saudis also have money a lot of it
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 18:46
One of my closest online friends is an UAE citisen and he's more liberal than most Westerners I know. Judging by what he has told me though the place isstill in a state of tension between theoldandtosomeextentislamicconservatismandthemoremodernideasofliberalism,soI'd
expect to find a bit of both worlds.
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 19:22
Dubai is more modern. Thay have alot more patience for foreign things than other Arab nations.
Mughal e Azam
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 19:22
Because it is a dictatorship. If it was the choice Dubai would be as conservative as Saudi Arabia. It is all about attention that is why you see the rulers of Dubai spend all the money they have just so that their tiny and formely insignificant little city gets world wide attention.

al-jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 19:32
Saudi is also dictorship. also i am talking about ur average UAE citizens not royal family, I have been to saudi and Dubai and there is a world of difference between their attitude. you notice this when you land at Dubai airport they are much more friendly in talking to outsiders.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 19:34
Dubai is building a viable economy for when the oil stops flowing.
Dictatorship yes, benevolent dictatorship in comparison to their neighbours? maybe.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 19:38
Sheikh Maktoum of Dubai actually is a very wise and great leader. I saw his documentary on 60 mintues and truly cares for the people of Dubai, unlike some other countries in the region
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 22:06
The guy  is anything but wise. inflation is too high, unemployment is freightening and all of his projects are failures. Come on, Burj Al Arab took some 2 billion $ to build, the official figure is 650 million and it is exclusively a hotle now tell me how is he going to get back his invested capital, what is even worse is the artiftial islands he is now building with even a much higher cost. he married a Jordania princess half his age just to make headlines, gave citizenship to forign athletes so that his country could make a world wide fuss. the only real income source he has, and the UAE in general is us poor wretched Saudis. The bureaucratic nightmare, my father and I own a business I know what I am talking about, makes large scale investments as well as foriegn capital flow nearly impossible in Saudi Arabia. Amazon is forbidden from entering Saudi Arabia for example and books from other sites take two months to reach the buyer because Costums search them. Many consumer products are non existant or at astronomical prices, so people go to Bahrain and UAE for shopping. When the former ruler of Dubai died during the two week eid vacation, the net loss for the dubai economy because of the scrapping of the shopping festival and forced mourning, which meant that Saudis will not come and they did not, was 8 billion$. So now you know.

Al-Jassas
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2008 at 10:33

Judging by what you just said he is very wise; he makes sure the Saudis spend all their money in his state.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2008 at 10:59

Amazon is forbidden from entering Saudi Arabia for example and books from other sites take two months to reach the buyer because Costums search them. Many consumer products are non existant or at astronomical prices, so people go to Bahrain and UAE for shopping.

I'm not sure this is his fault, more Saudi Arabia's fault?
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2008 at 14:55
Here is the problem, no Saudi will ever affor the 6000$ a night in the Burj nor the excessive costs of living there. People who I know live anywhere in the UAE exceptin Dubai and with the frenzy that is going on, many started to immitate him and with quite a success. The problem in Saudi Arabia is opennes, believe me, if we had an open economy like Dubai free from pressure of influential people who kill any initiative that helps make the economy freer and more competitive, no one will invest there. and hooking up your economy with one country is anything but wise, if something happens no one will come and your economy will simply collapse especially if 85% of your population are foriegners.

Al-jassas
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2008 at 23:52
Maybe it has something to do with the demographics of the country???
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2008 at 05:18

By UAE you must mean Dubai.

Dubai is in line with what Hong Kong used to be. It is mainly leased land by the westerners. The real difference is that Hong Kong was leased from another country. Dubai is leased from the Sheiks who have told the people in the west that they own the country. Also, the population is Dubai in less than 20% Arab out of them a good chunk are Iranian or something who have to call themselves Arab and put a Arabic head scarf so they can get favor with the ruling class and avoid persecution.

Some of this is actually a good thing people in the region can see alternative to blowing themselves up and west can make money from the non-Arab population centers around that area.

As for Saudis, it looks big on the map but until oil discovery recently not that many people had any reason to live there if they had a choice. It was mostly inhabited by nomads living a different kind of life from the "civilized" world that continues to this day. Although some of the Sheiks have move from their tents to palace built by the Oil money

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2008 at 07:23
You really want to rethink what you said about Saudi Arabia, I suggest you read more starting with lets say, the Time magazine archives.

Al-Jassas
nomadII View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote nomadII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 07:47
In the middle east you will rarely find an arab who appriciates his next door neighbour, a saudi will despise an emirati, and a jordanian will despise a syrian, etc. This is because of their education system instilling a very deffinate nationalistic streak. So the emirati from baniyas who started the thread was just licking around for generous comments on emiratis, and the saudis replied accordingly. The whole of the middle east needs an overall in the manners and education department.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 12:29

No more barely hidden ethnic slurs please. And streotypes cause you to go dangerously near the line violating the CoC.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2008 at 04:53
Moved
This Thread belong to another sub-forum.

Originally posted by Al Jassas

The guy is anything but wise. inflation is too high, unemployment is freightening and all of his projects are failures. Come on, Burj Al Arab took some 2 billion $ to build, the official figure is 650 million and it is exclusively a hotle now tell me how is he going to get back his invested capital, what is even worse is the artiftial islands he is now building with even a much higher cost. he married a Jordania princess half his age just to make headlines, gave citizenship to forign athletesso that his country could make a world wide fuss. the only real income source he has, and the UAE in general is us poor wretched Saudis. The bureaucratic nightmare, my father and I own a business I know what I am talking about, makes large scale investments as well as foriegn capital flow nearly impossible in Saudi Arabia. Amazon is forbidden from entering Saudi Arabia for example and books from other sites take two months to reach the buyer because Costums search them. Many consumer products are non existant or at astronomical prices, so people go to Bahrain and UAE for shopping. When the former ruler of Dubai died during the two week eid vacation, the net loss for the dubai economy because of the scrapping of the shopping festival and forced mourning, which meant that Saudis will not come and they did not, was 8 billion$. So now you know.

Al-Jassas

wow i dont know where to start , sorry but your post above is mostly baseless ,it seems like you are talking about saudi arabia more than Dubai regarding failed projects and unemployment, since when Dubai became a failure ?!!, its the only success in the region compared to its neighbors , off course there are population problems and some exaggerations in many projects but even though with comparison to what it achieved so far in its successful project is something very few people thought possible for a city in the Middle east.

sheikh Mohammed is wise business man by all standards, ask Forbes, Time Magazine and the Economist for example. and which athletics Dubai bought?!! the Golden Medal UAE got in Athens was by a member of Al Maktoum family, and please dont talk about making headlines, the Saudi Royal Family are the ones making headlines on how Saudi money spent in the West.

something worth mentioning too is that your current King is wiser than the one before regarding education and economic development and investment in general and less money for palaces in spain, which is good i admire him.

Aussiedude View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Aussiedude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2008 at 16:37
How so? I wasn't aware their were any real cultural differences between Arabs... what would they entail. I get that their might be political divisions culturally.... but is their anything less superficial then that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>