Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Islamic Expansion: Book Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DwayneBarry View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DwayneBarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islamic Expansion: Book Recommendation
    Posted: 26-Feb-2008 at 19:48

Can anyone recommend a good book or two that covers the initial several centuries of the Islamic expansion? 

Not sure this is the right forum for this request but I became interested in the topic reading about the Carolingians and their encounters with the muslims.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 00:00
Mashall Hodgson's The Venture of Islam Vol I. comes to mind. Some of the books by John Esposito. Al-Tabari too is good as a primary source.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 10:26
Well, I just recently bought "The Great Arab Conquests" by Hugh Kennedy. I haven't read it yet so I can't vouch for it, but this guy has written a lot of books on the history of the caliphates, so you might want to google his name in amazon or something.

If you're interested in the Muslims encountered by the Carolingians specifically, you might try "Moorish Spain" by Richard Fletcher.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 17:27
 The osprey title Poiters 732 shows some of the carolinian victories over the muslims
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 19:04
Carolgians were a bit late in the day. A Good book is "Sword of God" by Lt Gen Akram, which is a biography of Khalid Bin Walid, the main protagonist in the conquests.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 19:20
Can anyone recommend a good book or two that covers the initial several centuries of the Islamic expansion?

Legacy of Jihad by Dr. Bostom This compiles both primary and secondary sources on this topic.

The Decline of Medieval Hellenism in Asia Minor and the Process of Islamization from the Eleventh Through the Fifteenth Century by Spero Vyronis

The Fall of Constantinople by Steven Runciman

I will get back to you with other sources later.

I have another source I will pm you
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2008 at 23:41
Legacy of Jihad? I'm sceptical. I vouch for anything Runciman though.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2008 at 19:50
Originally posted by Reginmund

It is an excellent source just check it out at your local library before you make a judgement. Many of the sources are Greek scholars, modern. Dr. Bostom knows classical Arabic and has done some translation from Arabic sources. The strange thing he is a medical Doctor. I have it at my house - $29.95 at Barnes and Noble
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2008 at 22:25
I'm not worried about the range of sources or the qualifications of the scholars, I'm worried about the title which implies an islamophobic agenda. If it doesn't have such an agenda then the title is poorly chosen given the connotations of "jihad" today.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2008 at 00:08

Which ones do you recommend?
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2008 at 00:14
Well, Runciman didn't write anything about the Islamic expansion AFAIK, but I enjoyed his crusades trilogy even if I didn't agree with his take on everything, perhaps mostly due to its thoroughness and style. I've heard his books "The Fall of Constantinople" and "The First Crusade" are great readstoo though I haven't picked them up yet, Lars Brownworth (guy behind the 12 Byzantine Rulers podcast) recommends them as well.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2008 at 00:21
Thanks
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2008 at 23:59

I'm not worried about the range of sources or the qualifications of the scholars, I'm worried about the title which implies an islamophobic agenda. If it doesn't have such an agenda then the title is poorly chosen given the connotations of "jihad" today.

That is your free choice but first review it then judge. I seem to gather, no offense, but Swedes seem more PC than many Americans.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 00:07
Originally posted by es_bih

You said you were Bosnian- if this is the case then most likely your ancestors were Orthodox Christians - maybe Catholics- what do you think?

Why do you think they converted?

es_bih did you immigrate here or were you born in the USA? I consider anyone who has become a citizen and has payed their dues as American as any native born. My mother's side is from Greece. I will check out those links you gave me earlier so I can hear what you are saying, you sound like a reasonable person. Robert Spencer has never taught me to hate Muslims but I dislike any group that is inolved with violence; including the IRA, Tamil Tigers, radical Hindus, Christina abortion bombers ( I am pro life) or whoever.

Edited by eaglecap - 23-Mar-2008 at 00:35
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 00:55
Originally posted by eaglecap

Originally posted by es_bih

You said you were Bosnian- if this is the case then most likely your ancestors were Orthodox Christians - maybe Catholics- what do you think?

Why do you think they converted?

es_bih did you immigrate here or were you born in the USA? I consider anyone who has become a citizen and has payed their dues as American as any native born. My mother's side is from Greece. I will check out those links you gave me earlier so I can hear what you are saying, you sound like a reasonable person. Robert Spencer has never taught me to hate Muslims but I dislike any group that is inolved with violence; including the IRA, Tamil Tigers, radical Hindus, Christina abortion bombers ( I am pro life) or whoever.

There were almost no Orthodox Chrisians in Bosnia proper prior to Ottomans moving in Vlachs and Slavic Orthodox peoples into northern Bosnia as a landed milita, save for Hercegovina. Mostly Catholics, and the independent Bosnian Church which broke away from Rome and governed itself.

I was born in Bosnia, but I am an American citizen so a Bosnian American, like you would be a Greek American I believe.

As far as my ethnicity it is complex. I have a mixed ancestry actually so I cannot speak for Bosnians whose family is only from Bosnia. Those were their ancestors converted for various reasons I believe that most did for religous reasons. Islam did not become the major religion for about 10 generations after the Bosnian kingdom fell to the Ottoman Empire. In the 1600s it became the majority so it gives you an idea that the shift was gradual and the Bosnian churche's dogma was in line with Islamic theology, too.

I am mostly of Bosnian ancestry. I have Turkish ancestry too from my mom's side, and I have a little from my dad's. I also have Serbian (he was Muslim however) ancestry from my dad's side generations back, my great great great great grandfather moved from Serbia to Bosnia around the late 1800s.

So I am about 55% Bosnian, 30 % Turkish, and 15% Serbian.

Edited by es_bih - 23-Mar-2008 at 01:22
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 01:39
I was born in Bosnia, but I am an American citizen so a Bosnian American, like you would be a Greek American I believe.

Well sort of but also German and Irish American but half Greek. My father's side goes from the 1600's (Dutch) 1700's (English and French) to the mid and late 1800's (Irish and German) so I am a mix as well. I wonder what is on my Greek half? I also have a tiny bit Native American from the mid 1700's. I am not part indian though- too far back.

Turkish -cool - I have great respect for them since I spent time in Istanbul, my late Greek grandfather was born in Istanbul/Constantinople.

I found an Islamic group in the USA which is very pro democracy and supports free speech all the way but I do not have their link right now. I support groups like this one 1000%. I have been meaning to write them but keep procrastination is a weakness of mine.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 02:50
Originally posted by eaglecap

That is your free choice but first review it then judge. I seem to gather, no offense, but Swedes seem more PC than many Americans.

I don't see why I should be offended by something directed at Swedes. I'm a Norwegian of partly German descent.

Without going into detail I'm probably among the least PC guys on this forum. I don't know what's PC when it comes to religion; I'm hugely sceptical of them all, but I'm no islamophobe.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 03:16
Sorry, I thought you were in Sweden which has overacted to people who have stood up to the Islamacist, I have read several articles about this. I do not think it is a phobia to be aware of any potential threat or what has happened in history. I wish we could all get along but the Legacy of Jihad talks about the invasion and the treatment of Greeks and other Balkan peoples in the former Byzantine Empire and after its fall plus numerous other chapters such as the Invasion of India.

This thread is about sources so I will only answer with more sources when I can.
One good one by Spero Vyronis
is: "Medieval Historiography" - this has primary sources from the Arabs, Byzantines and from western European sources.

Are you in Europe or America?
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 20:11
Europe.

The Ottoman Empire, or any other empire where Islam was the majority and/or state religion, were political structures and acted as such; they did not embody Islam and their actscannotbeascribedto"Muslims"butonlytothepoliticalstructureinquestion.
Lately this faulty logic has become widespread as it is now fashionable to criticise Islam, usuallybyconnectingallcritiqueworthyactscommitedbyMuslimstotheentirereligious
community(regardlessofdenomination)andsometimesthereligion itself. However,peoplewouldcertainlyraisetheireyebrowsifanyonespokeabout
the "Christian genocideoftheJews" the"ShintorapeofNanking"orthe "Buddhist
oppressionofTibet".

Edited by Reginmund - 23-Mar-2008 at 20:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 04:54

Europe.

The Ottoman Empire, or any other empire where Islam was the majority and/or state religion, were political structures and acted as such; they did not embody Islam and their  acts cannot be ascribed to "Muslims" but only to the political structure in question. 
Lately this faulty logic has become widespread as it is now fashionable to criticise Islam, usually by connecting all critiqueworthy acts commited by Muslims to the entire religious 
community (regardless of denomination) and sometimes the religion itself. However, people would certainly raise their eyebrows if anyone spoke about
the "Christian genocide of the Jews" the "Shinto rape of Nanking" or the "Buddhist 
oppression of Tibet".

Superb analysis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>