Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

US hypocrisy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US hypocrisy
    Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 18:48
Originally posted by BMC21113

but yet are by far the most generous country in the world.

In fact the US donates the on of the smallest amounts of foreign aid/capita of all developed countries (I thought it was even the lowest, but I'm not sure about that)
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 17:42

Depends on what you mean by "interests". You say that humans through out morals and ideals the minute their intests are endangered. When I think of interests I think of my family. Anything that hits my pocket-book, hits my family. I think America is a very family-oriented country. So in retrospect I would agree that most Americans will be financially conscience as opposed to giving the bulk of their income to people they will never see. Having said that I have donated a fair share of money to the less fortunate and I believe people that can help, should help. The main point of this post I guess is the obvious fact that most Americans have families and would consider them their "interests", and would be more prone to worrying about their "interests" first.

All in all....Charity is a blessing.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 14:21

Americans, in general, are more generous toward the poor and suffering because the United States, as a whole, is the most affluent country in the world.  The world has, for decades, benefitted from American aid, and the American effort to relieve povery, hunger, and disease around the globe is tremendous

One cannot neglect the large collection of humanitarian organizations that are based in the United States and stocked with good hearted American volunteers.

But, that is because Americans are humans, and any humans with a heart would donate some excesses to the poor and needy. 

But the United States as a geo-political entity has no obligation nor real motive to help the truely needy.  The goal of the American government and its associated institutions is simple: to enrich and reap benefits for AMERICANS and their way of life, even if it comes at the cost of lives and livelihoods of people in other countries. 

Every time I see a spoilt American teenager driving a brand new SUV playing the latest music from MTV, I shake my head in disgust.

But that is the way of life: the rich finds ways to get richer.  The rich is only rich because somewhere down the line, there is someone poorer and less fortunate.  Everything revolves around some degree of comparision and relative status: the rich derives his status and gratification of richness from the knowledge of that there exist those with less fortunes. 

The SUV driver may externally and verbally show compassion for the poor in Malaysia or Ethiopia, but deep down, his very essence compells him to support whatever it takes to ensure that gas prices will not rise above a certain level. 

It is unfair to blame Americans for all the ills in the world.  Americans do what they do because they, like everyone else, are humans, and humans are selfish, self-centered, and complex creatures: on one hand they demand the idealistic and beautiful, on the other, they would sell their ideals the moment their interests are endangered.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 12:26

The US is always under intense scrutiny for their actions, but yet are by far the most generous country in the world. I will remind everyone that the US does not have to do anything for any other country, but does for the well-being of these countries. The USA's image never changes no matter what we do. I honestly believe that we would have the same image whether or not we helped anyone at all...... Makes you think......

-Now, of course I believe in International aid for countries that can not support themselves. I believe in fair trade and good standing relations amongst other countries. The USA has no obligation to support other countries, but want to help those in need. The US is not the selfish materialistic country we are portrayed as (some people are), but ordinary people who care about others. We give financial support through donations and charity work all across the world. The people donated personal funds very generously to the tsunami relief(example), and many Americans are by no means rich. Everybody makes mistakes, the difference, if America does it the whole world points their finger. I know this goes along with the territory though.........

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 04:24

Originally posted by strategos

International law is nonsense. Many countries can get away with many things as long as they do not try to interfere with the US. Most other countries will not take serious actions. So for all nations: Avoid the US, and you can do mostly what you want(to some degrees of course)

-That is if you dont receive US interference, in which you probably will depending on what you mean by "do mostly what you want".

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 03:45
International law is nonsense. Many countries can get away with many things as long as they do not try to interfere with the US. Most other countries will not take serious actions. So for all nations: Avoid the US, and you can do mostly what you want(to some degrees of course)
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 00:26
Thanks for your agreement, but I would say wars today are fought for much the same reasons as they have been since times immemorable.
Member of IAEA
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 00:24
I partly agree with you there genghis. International Law is definitely a myth because well .. laws change with each country and of course this is hard to enforce. If such thing as International Law existed George Bush would be in prison but instead he is smoking a cigar in his office.

World Peace is a buzzword because it hasn't been achieved yet.  I don't know if it will be achieved soon but I believe we will have a time not too long into the future of relative prolonged peace between nations. Sometimes we have to stop and think why we are fighting these modern wars and they are getting less and less about ideology but more for materialistic profit.

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 22:55
Originally posted by Aydin

Originally posted by Genghis

The U.S. is doing what it needs to, defending it's interests.  A country should do nothing else except that.

At the expense of others? At the expense of International laws? At the expense of world peace?

Yes, the world is a dog eat dog place, the only thing that keeps people from bullying you is bullying them.

International Law and World Peace are just useless buzzwords, they sound nice but in the end they don't mean anything.

Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 09:48
Originally posted by eaglecap

COMPARED TO MICHAEL SAVAGE IT IS SOMEWHAT LIBERAL.

compared to Hitler Mussolini is somewhat liberal as well
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 02:32

Originally posted by Genghis

The U.S. is doing what it needs to, defending it's interests.  A country should do nothing else except that.

At the expense of others? At the expense of International laws? At the expense of world peace?

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 21:43
COMPARED TO MICHAEL SAVAGE IT IS SOMEWHAT LIBERAL.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 18:19
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

eaglecap wrote:
Now come on Fox is liberal

explain

I need an explanation also. Calling Fox News liberal is like calling John Lennon an ultra-conservative.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 18:07

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

If the United States of America is a democracy then every state since ancient Sumeria and Iran were democracies, they lived by the same principals our American members so "democratically" do - Anything to keep us alive, afloat, it is normal.

There's nothing that says a country with a democratic system of government has to have a nice, idealistic, human rights promoting foreign policy.

Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 17:47
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

I like having CNN and the New York Times and others around, it puts a blatant and naked face on the "ultra left wing" (which I would say is farther to the left than I am to the right) in this country for everyone to witness and to form their own opinion about. That's if they can first tell that it is more than just plain "news."

If it makes you feel happy, people in the left think that CNN, the New York Times and other around lean to the right.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 17:27
I didn't say the US hasn't used military power since 1945., i  meant it hasn't had to use it for self-defence since then. Yes, kicking commie ass is great, but too many of these military steps were for economic benefit in a certain area, not regarding if the people were under communists or democrats. I bet Mixcoatl knows a lot about US involvment in Central-America. Nothing for the people was done there, only fattening the wallet of America happened there. The US is only against dictatorships who are against him or stop licking his ass. Dictatorships become these evil axis members from the day your president decides so, until then, anything goes. That is hypocrisy.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 17:59

I dont agree with you at all. Your post is rather ran-together so I only picked up on a few of your points. As far as having everybody believe in our campaigns? And whats with comparing the US to Nazi Germany? The US doesnt have to have the entire world buy into their campaigns. And you say that that the US hasnt had to use military power since WWII?? Korea and Vietnam were supposed to be for communism, either way it was a campaign for the people of Vietnam and Korea as well as for the security of the US and all other free countries against the threat of global communist takeover. Panama, mogadishu..etc..etc.. ya maybe youre right maybe the US didnt neccesarily have to get involved.....but what would the world think if we didnt??

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 17:03
O these topics i love, a post per minute and i stop reading them from the second reply to a page long quote i see. But i hardly think reading anything on this topic would change my opinion, only lengthen my post into pointlesness.

My simple view: Having free elections, even those were manipulated in the 2000. presidential elections if i remember all the comotion right, doesn't make any democracy for the United States. They make right for might and saying that "everybody who has been #1 has done it" is a simple deflection of reality. Nazi Germany just did what he thought was right. The German people might have felt good, stop moaning in them. And don't say "what, how dare you compare the US with the third reich, they were killing for fun, we for freedom and justice." You can go and kill random people across the Globe any day of the week whenever a senator or two sees a threat to an area of influence for YOUR "democracy". No right or far off reason. I wont justify a navy seals head shot to a gas chamber of Auschwitz, i'll put them in the same sack.
If almost every American feels that the opposers are blowing smoke and envy out of our rectums, tear every "democracy" out of your constitution. This is where the HYPOCRISY comes in. You call yourself leading democratic force protecting the world while attacking on vendettas and personal ignorance for no threat to yourselves. America hasn't had to use any force to protect its sovereignity or power since Pearl Harbour and the following fights agains the Japs, give me a break. Today it has become a simple billionaire effect - we have a billion dollars, the other guys one million put together, we still need more, but nobody knows the reason why. A simple power trip effect.
If the United States of America is a democracy then every state since ancient Sumeria and Iran were democracies, they lived by the same principals our American members so "democratically" do - Anything to keep us alive, afloat, it is normal.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 07:28
Originally posted by eaglecap

Now come on Fox is liberal

explain
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 23:10
HI Strategos
I have seen too many of your other posts to think you are an American hater but I consider you very patriotic.
The US, full of its ideas of democracy and freedom throughout the world, has been very hypocritacal at many times in its history, especially recently.

The US wants to spread peace throughout the Middle East but will BREAK ITS BACK for countries like Saudi Arabia and to some degree Kuwait.

This is true- they still enslave people and persecute Christians and Hindu workers there. (see www.persecution.org)

The US supported the coup in the 1960's-1970's that overthrough the Government of Greece.

This is true but I do not understand the full story but Greece is sort of a sacred cow for me. Next to America I am very patrotic to Greece even though I don't always see eye to eye with my fellow Greeks.

The fact that Lebanon still faces aggression from Israel which wants Syria to be treated as a pariah state; or that Iran and Syria are accused of possession of weapons of mass destruction while Israel is permitted to protect its arsenal of WMDs is all part of the hypocrisy that characterises US foreign policy.

Here I do not agree and Israel is simply defending itself against terrorism and great odds.

It is very hypocritical for the US government to claim to promote democracy and freedom throughout the world yet when it comes to the nation of Cyprus expediency and a double standard takes precedence over the lofty ideals of liberty.
Need to look at this more

There are many other examples which can be talked about, but I guess this goes for many countries. But I expected the great nation of the US to start to live up to these ideas of freedom and democracy, and not bow down to hystaria and the "oil kingdoms."

What nation has ever live to perfection and I agree we have a dark side but what nation or empire in history hasn't. The oil companies have us poor peasants by the throat!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>