Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOur founding fathers were Christians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our founding fathers were Christians?
    Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 23:55
Ben Franklin was also apart of the hell fire club and slept with many hookers at a young age. When he became older and decided to change his life around I believe, guess alot of people do that.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 21:49

Hello all, i havent really been keepin up on this thread but I found this quote from big Ben that seemed related to the issue at hand:

All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of superintending providence in our favor. To that kind providence we owe this happy opportunity of consulting in peace on the means of establishing our future national felicity. And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? Or do we imagine that we no longer need his assistance? I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth-that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the Ground without his Notice, is it probable that an Empire can rise without his Aid?"

Benjamin Franklin, To Colleagues at the Constitutional Convention

www.marksquotes.com/Founding-Fathers/Franklin/
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 00:59

Thanks Murph and ummm Pinochet what exactly is your point and how did they even relate to the points of which I made?

Whats even more amusing is when you consider the regional difference during this country's early colonial past.  That being the fanatically religous puritanical northeast and the far looser materialistic South.

Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 09:52

i am scoring at home, and i gave my points to Laelius.

The history of the colonization Massachusetts doesn't do anything to refute what Laelius said, which is that this religious theocracy of early Massachusetts had little to no influence on the actual Founding Fathers and Constitution-framers.

it is pretty funny, though, that if you examine the first two major settlements in the US (Massachusetts and Virginia), you have two of the major components of modern America...religious extremism and material gain

PINOCHET View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 02:26
Originally posted by Laelius

[Yes of course as it was the Massachusetts Bay Colony's obscene Theocratic Tyranny which proved the necessity of removing religous elements from the federal government.  Oh and the legal foundations of the United States is British Common Law, not the lunatic rantings of some fringe Christian group of fanatics.

Bzzzt  - and thank you for playing.

A note for those scoring at home:

The Mayflower was one of two ships hired by Brownist dissenters, who were
anything but Church of England,  to take them to Virginia (the other was the
Speedwell, but it turned back with severe leakage.).   The Mayflower arrived
off what became Provincetown on Cape Cod, and then finally settled ashore to
establish the Plymouth colony, all this in 1620.

The Puritans, who were the radical innovators of the Church of England,
arrived in Boston harbor in 1627/28 with over a dozen ships and a thousand
people, essentially a city pre loaded on boats, taking advantage of a
"loophole" in the company charter that allowed them to hold company meetings
outside of London.   Well, one must admit that Massachusetts is "outside of
London".   They were not happy with the discovery of the Pilgrim colony "up the
coast", south of Boston.

tschus

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 18:04

it was during that period that the true moral, legal, and
spiritual foundation of the nation were laid; it was then that our
forefathers defined America and bound themselves and their descendents
to the terms of that definition. Therefore, if we are to understand
our roots as a people, we should not look to 1776-1787 or the founding
fathers of that era but to the colonial period and the founding
fathers of that era.

Yes of course as it was the Massachusetts Bay Colony's obscene Theocratic Tyranny which proved the necessity of removing religous elements from the federal government.  Oh and the legal foundations of the United States is British Common Law, not the lunatic rantings of some fringe Christian group of fanatics.

PINOCHET View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 02:49
The history of the founding of the United States of America is
important for our understanding of who we are, and why, in the
providence of God, this nation came into being. But where do we look
for this understanding? Many look to the time of our Declaration of
Independence from England and the constitutional settlement of 1787.
The men who declared independence, guided the nation through the war
with England, and drafted and ratified the Constitution of the United
States of America are often referred to as our "Founding Fathers"; the
period of time in which these men lived and these momentous events
took place as the founding era of our country.

As important as the Declaration of Independence, the War for
Independence, and the Constitution were, and as important as men such
as Adams, Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, and Madison were, we should
not look here for the foundations of the United States. No, the actual
foundations of this nation were laid in the colonial period. It was
during that era that the intentions of God for America were made
explicit; it was during that period that the true moral, legal, and
spiritual foundation of the nation were laid; it was then that our
forefathers defined America and bound themselves and their descendents
to the terms of that definition. Therefore, if we are to understand
our roots as a people, we should not look to 1776-1787 or the founding
fathers of that era but to the colonial period and the founding
fathers of that era.

Idanthyrus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 19:09

Back on topic

John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin were well know deists. James Madison was a unitarian, and "In god we trust" has only been on American coinage off and on since 1864 when it first appeared. Interestingly enough, Theodore Roosevelt ordered the motto removed from new coins produced during his tenure as President, with the opinion that placing God's name on coinage was sacrilege. He was overruled by Congress however.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 14:03
Alright I haven't read any of the recent nonsense but I have one statement to make.  Intelligent Design and Creationism are not theories and it is disingenuous to call them such.  A theory possess readily testable conclusions and has some basis in fact.  The afore mentioned belief are based entirely off assumption, speculation and one hell of a logical fallacy- Argument from Ignorance.  As such they can barely be classified as a hypothesis and a poor one at that.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 17:50

"But I agree that I have a responsibility, as far as I can, to make up for God's failings."

-I guess we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this issue.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 07:17
Originally posted by arch.buff

"Christianity isn't taken serious anymore by people"

-Tell that to the billions of christians today.

Most of whom don't take it seriously. Of course they like to claim that they do but they still save for their old age, hit back when they're attacked, and pass by on the other side of the road.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 07:14
Originally posted by arch.buff

"Yeah, but God gave us the choice. God invented evil."

-Yep you're right, God did give us the freedom of chose but you would infact be wrong about God creating evil. There was no such thing as evil until Lucifer(the devil) turned. 

How you can write 'in fact' I have no idea. There are no 'facts' involved here.

And God created everything so he's responsible for the whole shebang. Including the devil.

He can't get out of it that easily.

"Only to correct his own mistake. He could have saved a whole lot of trouble just making people good in the first place."

-First off God doesnt make mistakes and WE chose to defy him and thus making us the way we are today.(Adam & Eve)

That's the mistake right there. He created us wrong.

"Yep. But it's not much. Now God could really do a good job, if he wanted to. He obviously doesn't. So it's all his fault. After all, he's the creator isn't he?

At least the Zoroastrians can claim their god Ahura Mazda is good and the evil is only due to Ahriman, the wicked one. The Christian god doesn't even have that excuse.

Why can't God ask HIMSELF what HE could do? Can't be bothered? Doesn't care?"

-Now were really playing the blame game, arent we?

Yep. But you started it as I recall, saying it was all our fault.

You say its not much? Well keep that mentality and so will the rest of the world and well stay on the same path. Listen, WE choose your own path and our actions from day-to-day, right?

It's arguable, but immaterial. God determined what we would do. (Or, if he didn't he could have done - a sin of omission if not commission.)

If you do wrong are you gonna blame God like your doing now? No youre not, if you hold up a convience store and end up killing someone are you gonna say "God, why did you allow me to do this!" IF this is your train of thought then you are definately a weak person in my book.

I take the responsibility for my own actions. It's God who's trying to wriggle out of his - or, to be fair, you who are trying to excuse him or the wrongs he commits. (For all i know, God himself is quite ready to take the blame - you're hardly his spokesman.)

Quote:

In short, we do it to ourselves.

"Because god made us that way."

-No, he gave us the chose and you choose to be the way you are.

Again, you have it right there. He gave us the choice. He created the choice. If the choice was between good and evil, he created both of them.

That's his fault.

But I agree that I have a responsibility, as far as I can, to make up for God's failings.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 21:18
Oh sure, thats how we reproduce....thru sex. But such things as the Bible saying 'Thou shall not lust'. i mean to me it seems impossible to not think of sexual thoughts and thats maybe the point, I mean think about it. God wants us to lead a non-sinfull life but we will inevitably sin everyday and we will never reach perfection? seems silly huh? Well, I think its all in the way you handle yourself and you striving as a sinful human, not to sin.  
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 20:41
Sexual thoughts are normal, another reason why I don't like religions lol. It's already proven that it's all hormones and it's how our species survive. I don't maybe the devil turns on the hormones but from what I believe it's all from evolution. I guess males makes help the devil also because our sweat turns on women's hormones. 
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 20:35

Oh he does, truth is i probably dont go a whole day without having at least one sexual thought. After all I am a young man in his early 20's so it shouldnt be too hard for the devil.

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 20:17
Well good point I guess. But all the devil would be doing is reinforcing your belief, liveing for thousands of years I think the devil could come up with a better way, like giving you bad thoughts through your subconcious. Attacking someone directly never forces anyone over because it reassures them what it will be like if they did. So if thats the case gods probably winning because the devil is a dim wit.
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 19:27

"Also it's only the religious I hear that have ever been effected by a evil spirit, or atleast someone who says they believe in God."

Ok, dont take literally what Im about to say to you, or anyone else because i dont know where you will go after you die. So my following words arent directed towards anyone in particular.

Now, having said that.....there is a war going on right now as we speak. A war between good and evil(God and the devil) for yours and everyone elses soul here on earth.{sounds like the beginning of an intense movie, huh }Well back to business, Either youve accepted Jesus or you havent. Either youre going to heaven or youre going to hell. Nobody really knows where they are going after they die, all we can do is follow our faith and hope the Lord has mercy on us. Now back to the war....Its funny you brought that point up about only believers having evil spiritual experiences, I would have to agree with you. The reason I believe this is is because if one hasnt accepted Jesus then why would the devil even bother you? He's already happy with the place youre at just so long as you havent accepted jesus, in a sense..he's already got you.  

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 18:36

I have had my fair share of drunken stories, I've been in a hand full of fights. Now having said that, that doesnt mean that I am going to hell. We all make mistakes and youre gonna sin everyday of your life. It is just how are you gonna deal with that? Are you gonna repent for your sins?

See that is exactly what I'm talking about. A few hundred years ago you couldn't get away with that in Christianity, you were going to hell because of any sin that was considered very bad like pre-marriage sex.

Evangelicals are worse, you could kill someone, but as long as you believe in God your going to heaven. If I remember right you don't even have to say your sorry. But if you never had done anything wrong and help a thousand people who needed your help and you don't recognize god then your going to hell, seems kind of screwed up.

Another thing that has changed in Christianity is if you killed anyone for whatever reason you were going to hell. But today a person believes he can join the military and kill someone and not goto hell because he was fighting for his country. See how people change religion to conveniantly fit their own wants?

Sometimes I always wondered if there is a god, why would he even want to be known, I mean he doesn't even do anything to show he exists. So maybe he or even them would want us to live life for what it is. Then I wonder if their is a supreme evil, maybe it controls or wants people to join organized religions. The reason I came to that is because oraganized religion seperates people, it's easy for someone to become powerful using it, it can be used to easilly persecute a certain people, and has caused wars and thousands to die in the name of a said religion. Also it's only the religious I hear that have ever been effected by a evil spirit, or atleast someone who says they believe in God.

Like I said though it would make life easier to believe I have some where to go after death or that someone is watching over me, but I can't put myself to it. I used to be a believer, but when things don't make sense, or that so many things have changed over time it just seems to fake.

arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 17:48

"Christianity isn't taken serious anymore by people"

-Tell that to the billions of christians today. I'll be straight with you cuz i dont want to mislead you about what type of person i am. I am not married nor have I ever been, but yet I have had strong relationships with women in which we have had sex. I have had my fair share of drunken stories, I've been in a hand full of fights. Now having said that, that doesnt mean that I am going to hell. We all make mistakes and youre gonna sin everyday of your life. It is just how are you gonna deal with that? Are you gonna repent for your sins? Or are you even sorry for commiting them? I'm not trying to preach to anyone nor am I trying to convert anyone, Lord knows i have troubles of my own I was just trying to get the point across that people believe a certain way usually because they have a reason to....there are certainly things that i have encountered that have made my believe in spirits, both good and bad. For instance this story I'm about to tell you has happened about five different times in my entire life. I will be sleeping in my bed and wake up in the middle of the night, always with my T.V. left on, and I will some what wake up a lil so I lay there and watch T.V. when I get this feeling of some presence, then my ears begin to ring(this all happens in a matter of seconds) then Im frozen cant move, cant speak, nothing. It ususally stay like that for about 5-10 seconds then it leaves. Now, what could this be? I guess you could argue that its some type of bodily misfunction, but have it happen to you and its quite clear. You can sense evil cuz this feeling comes over me right before the ordeal takes place. The funny thing is that its always the same, I've just woken up and the T.V.'s on and I cant go back to bed. Its also happened to my friend but he has said that has seen things, something thats never happened to me. His girlfriend has even told sometimes before they go to bed she will witness this happen to him and she will then truy and wake him out of it, she seemed pretty freaked out herself just telling me about it. This is gonna pretty cliche but the same friend said that a silouette walk very slowly towards him and held him down for some time. i dont know man, there is some pretty scary things out there. Did you know demons can take the form of angels, the way you would tell the difference if one were to reveal themself to you is that the real angel of God would praise God with their first words, whereas demons will not do this.

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 15:58

-Ok, youre gonna have to excuse me but this is a bunch of nonsense. The Bible never said that the Earth was created 6000 years ago and no there hasnt been anyone to disprove Noah and his arch.

Here pit this in google and click search- bible says the world started 6000 years ago

You will have pages upon pages to look through, but you will get the idea.

Well there is one way to argue against Noah and his ark. It had to be built around 2050, yet while boats were made their the biggest bot we have at that time was 143 feet, by 20 feet wide. The technology to hold so many animals and to make a ship that large did not exist yet. And this is a time when major break throughs were happening for boats.

Also if he carried two of every animal, did he let a few off in Australia and the America's where they weren't found in other parts of the world? You tell me not to give any example's of Greek and Roman relgious stories before, yet alot of the bible has it's own myth's and stories that are impossible for humans.

-Because it is beyond your scientific ways. If your looking for concrete evidence that he was the son of God then youre probably gonna end up being disappointed. Listen, there are things in my life that have happened that make my faith and beliefs concrete, something you wouldnt understand but something I hope you one day do.  You cant compare what Jesus did to Greek and Roman mythology. Everyone accepts Greco-Roman myth today as that, mythology. Jesus is a totally different story.

We were talking about common sense, not science. Common sense says if something is dead it isn't coming back. Common sense says if I put my hand in a fire I'm going to be hurting.

They except is as myth now because our ancestors were forced to. Honestly I wish I could believe in a religion, it makes death alot easier and it gives sense of security in that you know someone is watching over you. I have searched for another religion, one that I could agree with and it doesn't work for me. I can't believe in anything that sounds too mythological. I mean even in Christianity the Saints also have their own magic that you can prey to them to help you. Someone even posted picutres on these forums of two Saints that had animal heads, just like the Egyptian gods.

Christianity isn't taken serious anymore by people. Like I said earlier people now eat meat on fridays, people often will skip church on sundays, people have sex before marriage, it used to be if you did these things you were on a one way trip to hell. Now people convenantly changed the religion to their own needs and still ask for help from God and the saints, so whose servering who?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>