Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brits/Beijing Closing Ceremony???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brits/Beijing Closing Ceremony???
    Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 18:14

...blimey..blimey.....i left this thread for a few days and it seems to have exploded into fire????.....steady on guys and gals..this was meant just to be a light-hearted look at the Brits ceremony in Beijing and for anyone to comment on what they thought of this and the potential opening ceremony spectacle in London in 2012.....would it be possible to get back to theme???......it started of so nicely...nothing serious, just a but fun!!!!!

Originally posted by wang yun

LOL, it didn't take long for this thread to confirm my prior experience in this forum that any China-related thread attracts China-bashers like bees to honey-- and the moderators were wondering why the quality of China-interest threads are low or China-interested members seldom post....Tongue

...sorry Wang Yun..it was not the intention of this topic to take any 'anti' stance at all..Thumbs%20Down ....while it is hard to keep politics out of a discussion regarding the Olympic games, i would have liked this thread to have stayed on track.....perhaps it will now, and thank you for your comments below that follow my original intention.... Thumbs%20Up 

Originally posted by wang yun

Anyway, I thought the Brits were being "cute", because the bus & brollies, etc. would be nostalgic to anyone who had spent some time in London-- but the celebs didn't work for me, as I'm not crazy about them or the pop culture. 

....fair comments although i will stick by Jimmy Page plus guitar as Led Zep are a top band for me!!!!.....and yes 'bus and brollies' did portray a common aspect of London life...maybe nostalgia will not be such a bad theme afterall, as long as it does not become to cheesy...Embarrassed....

..all the best...........AoO........
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 12:12
Originally posted by babyblue

Absurd! To say that China's economic change is possible because of the West is like saying the Chinese civilisation is started by Europeans because a Xinjiang Mummy is found to be having red hair and long nose, or hypothesising about Chinggiz Khaan having blue eyes and Caucasian features. Every civilisation on earth must've started with a White man as nobody else is smart enough to. Eurocentrism. I wouldn't credit China's economic reforms to anyone else but the Chinese people. And it does all comes down to one man-Deng Xiaoping.

First of all, I wonder how much truth there is behind the "hated West" Temujin speaks of. To me it seems like an unnecessary attempt at polarisation between China and the West, for I have yet to meet a Chinese person who could be described as hating the West. Sure, they might not agree with every political decision taken in the West, but neither do Westerners.

Next, neither the economy of the West or that of China has developed in isolation, so there is little purpose in starting a w**king contest over whose economy has been more important for the other.

As for intelligence, a study of global IQ by the professors Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen has shown that the northeast Asian countries (China, Korea, Japan) have the highest averege IQ in the world. Naturally not everyone believes in, or should we say wants to believe in, these results, but at least there isn't much of a case for arguing that China couldn't have developed without Europeans.

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 08:32

[QUOTE=Temujin]
    Absurd! To say that China's economic change is possible because of the West is like saying the Chinese civilisation is started by Europeans because a Xinjiang Mummy is found to be having red hair and long nose, or hypothesising about Chinggiz Khaan having blue eyes and Caucasian features. Every civilisation on earth must've started with a White man as nobody else is smart enough to. Eurocentrism.
   I wouldn't credit China's economic reforms to anyone else but the Chinese people.
And it does all comes down to one man-Deng Xiaoping.

As to mass producing 30-40 year old cars for the local population, do you not think that's better than not having cars at all? As was the case 30 years ago?
   And if you think all they drive is old Volkswagen's, it's time to go back to have another look.
WhaT#s about joint ventures, what's about robbed copying? Every civilisation starts with a white man? Nobody says that culture developed in Europe. We're all from Africa. So probably not white. The oldest cultures are from Egypt, Sumer or India and China, nobody would deny it. And we're no China-bashers. Not me and I am sure neither Temujin nor UvH.
I must realize that Chinese propaganda is doing a very well job.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 07:13

LOL, it didn't take long for this thread to confirm my prior experience in this forum that any China-related thread attracts China-bashers like bees to honey-- and the moderators were wondering why the quality of China-interest threads are low or China-interested members seldom post....Tongue

I would advise the China-bashers to take things to the ideology sub-forum, but the whole point of most ideologues is to drag every piece of history and current affairs into their ideology-- a phenomenon which many Chinese thought was a PRC/Cold-War specialty, until the BBC/CNN taught them otherwise.Clap

Anyway, I thought the Brits were being "cute", because the bus & brollies, etc. would be nostalgic to anyone who had spent some time in London-- but the celebs didn't work for me, as I'm not crazy about them or the pop culture.

Note to Omar: I wouldn't like to live in China because it is too over-populated and competitive-- but that is hardly the fault of the CCP (unless some people think that they did NOT do enough to reduce the population)

Edited by wang yun - 01-Sep-2008 at 07:35
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 00:44
Originally posted by Temujin

but thats deceiving, the economic change was not brought about by the Chinese but by the so much hated West. Deng Xiaoping only changed the conditions under which foreign investors would build up their own industry in China. when i was in Shanghai every second car (no exaggeration) was a Volkswagen Santana, a car which i've been told was built in Germany in the 70s. and Shanghai is arguably Chinas prestige object when it comes to economic rise, but mass-producing 30-40 year old cars for the local market is not advanced nor "economic boom".

Absurd! To say that China's economic change is possible because of the West is like saying the Chinese civilisation is started by Europeans because a Xinjiang Mummy is found to be having red hair and long nose, or hypothesising about Chinggiz Khaan having blue eyes and Caucasian features. Every civilisation on earth must've started with a White man as nobody else is smart enough to. Eurocentrism.
   I wouldn't credit China's economic reforms to anyone else but the Chinese people.
And it does all comes down to one man-Deng Xiaoping.

As to mass producing 30-40 year old cars for the local population, do you not think that's better than not having cars at all? As was the case 30 years ago?
   And if you think all they drive is old Volkswagen's, it's time to go back to have another look.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 19:38

Ok guys I think it's time I as a Chinese have to step in.
 I used to be a staunch anti-communist when I was younger. My family suffered under their rule during the 50's and 60's. My grandfather hated them, my father hated them, I hated them. Around 2001, someone gave us a a calender for the new year, and it was the portrait of Mao on the first page. As soon as my grandmother saw it she started swearing. And she never swears.

But in the past ten years, my dad's views have changed, judging from some of the converstations we've had, and so have mine. The CCP from Deng Xiaping onwards is completely different from what it used to be. Surely it can't be that different, a typical Westerner would say, when you have the Tiananmen Square incident and the situation in Tibet. But that's only because they only care about human rights and freedom and their obsession with their concept of democracy. From what I've read in the majority of the posts here, nobody seems to care about the amazing progress China made in the past 30 years of economic reform, where the living standards of the average Chinese people have increased so dramatically, that every time I visit China, I am surprised by what I see. And all this is possible because of the vision and perseverance of Deng Xiaoping and his successors. Give the CCP some credit where it's due. My dad can, I can, and so can you. I'm sure the CCP would've redeemed itself in my  grandfather's eyes too, if he'd been alive today. Shame he can't see the Motherland of today.

And I reiterate what Omar said, the CCP has done a damn good job over the past 30 years.

but thats deceiving, the economic change was not brought about by the Chinese but by the so much hated West. Deng Xiaoping only changed the conditions under which foreign investors would build up their own industry in China. when i was in Shanghai every second car (no exaggeration) was a Volkswagen Santana, a car which i've been told was built in Germany in the 70s. and Shanghai is arguably Chinas prestige object when it comes to economic rise, but mass-producing 30-40 year old cars for the local market is not advanced nor "economic boom".
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 19:29
what i describe now is from personal experience before anyone starts crying or asking for sources.

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

From everything I have heard & read, Germany treats its minorities like crap.

which minorities? like Germans for example in Stuttgart as Germans are ~1/3 of the popualtion? i am not so well treated by my government but none of my foreign co-workers ever complained as they are well received by the government (if they get accepted). at the company i work at we have workers from 26 different countries, since recently even from the Netherlands and England.

Foriegners are not really welcome. In China it is the opposite. I would much rather live in a place that respects my values, and has an authoritarian government, than a place that uses its concept of human rights to crush the morale of as many people as it can.

back in the day when i studied Chinese language in Konstanz i was 4 weeks in Shanghai were i also met with one of the former Chinese members here at AE. i mostly met Chinese people in the streets who were pretty much uncomfortable with my presence, once when we entered a shop we were outright insulted as they didn't knew we knew the language. my friend there also told me he hardly amde freidns there as he was actually living in another country and was only studying in Shanghai, were he was born though. nevertheless he was ethnically Chinese, he was shunned by other Chinese as he told be because in their eyes he was not a true Chinese. so much for "foreigners beign welcome". i have to mention though that i also had some friendly contacts, particularly with people which i made business with, but the general tendency was more hostile than friendly.

The German government should repeal its anti-terror laws and give citizenship to people who's parents and themselves were born in Germany before it has any right to attack other countries human rights.

it does.

Obviously you have never been to China. China is safe. You don't see an worrying or unnecessary amount of soliders or police. You can walk the streets without fear or favour - unless you fear seeing the belly of a beijing man

i can confirm this from personal experience. however recently one of my co-workers was on a business trip to China and on his return he told that he was visiting a new company in a rural area alone. upon their return to the hotel their native contact was shocked that they visited the area alone as it was usnafe and he mentioned that another German businessman was killed and robbed by the people of that village just the other month. that is 100% not gona happen in Germany.

I'll say it again. The Chinese Communist party has done a damn good job, and I would much rather live there than Germany.

the skies of Chinas cities are havily polluted, including Shanghai, i certainly would not wanna live there aside from political aspects but of environmental & health aspects alone.

aside from that your information is either out of thin air or based on your imagination alone. i've been to both countries and i would not need to think a single second in which country i would want to live.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 19:23
Originally posted by Sparten

Even sinophobes such as yourself, should try to aquaint youself with all salient facts before repeating such drivel. China ain't perfect, niether is Pakistan, and niether is Germany.

Haha, that's very,very funny. China's not perfect, might be they will introduce a new style of executions or more friendly way of deportations, than China will be perfect.

Hey, Mr. Perfect, that's not shinophobic, but inquityphobic. And this phobia should have advocates in China, Germany and in every nook of this planet. Human rights are not a arbitrariness, but a standard even for the USA, China, Georgia or Reykjavik.

You can't get away so easily. No,no, Sparty, the lawyer of the moment, the reciepts are made out in the eternity of the human history. Killing, torture or  censorship are nothing for political chafferers. The victims are conclusive argument.

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 31-Aug-2008 at 19:23

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 18:13
I have no problem. And you have as much right to be a sinophobe,  as anybody else. At no point did I say that China dose not have prisons, just pointed out they are not the source of all evil as you seem to think.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 18:09
Don't you want to read or what's your problem? I am not sinophob, please notice that. But OK. I understand. Nobody has been arrested, nobody is getting arrested, China has no prisons at all. Everythings fine.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 14:02

When has anyone been imprisoned and or killed in China for that recently? And usually these stories only tell half truths. I remember a few years ago in Pakistan (S Punjab) a new road was to be built and a few dozen people were forcibly removed by police. Big hue and cry, all over the media and even the idiots at HRW gave their worthless opinions. The full story? The people were given warning two years earlier about this, they were paid three times the going rate for their land, and were provided new homes (of a higher) quality at public expense. They kept on refusing, and only then was minimum force employed to take them away.

Even sinophobes such as yourself, should try to aquaint youself with all salient facts before repeating such drivel. China ain't perfect, niether is Pakistan, and niether is Germany.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 13:27
Originally posted by Sparten

very cute buddy. You keep that up and you'll be honored with a mention in the warnings forum.
Keep cool, mate. Just a joke. I think it ridiculous how the f....-word is handled in the anglophon area. I sometimes watch some TV-shows on CNNEmbarrassed. They use it every minute a several times. Sometimes I hear just a long Piiiiiep. I thought it is a self-restriction not to use it here, I didn't expect it is censored.Shocked

If it is necessary to settle people from one place to another it is generally no problem. It's common in the West too. And there are always people who don't want to go away. The difference between China and democratic states is that those people aren't chasen away, imprisoned or killed. I wonder that those guys who argue against people like me always pretend we would blame China in a mean way, just to criticize it, just because we don't like them. That's not true.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 12:54
Originally posted by beorna

Of course there is a economical wonder. But with what results for a broad mass of people?

My point exactly! It's precisely the broad mass of people that have benefited the most from China's economic reforms. Yes there is a bridging gap between the rich and poor. The coastal provinces are more well off at the moment than some of the more inland provinces. But that was all to be expected. Deng Xiaoping himself said let some people get rich first. You can't expect all 13 billion to get rich at the same time. And seriously, if millions of inhabitants along the Yangtze must be relocated for the Three Gorges Damn, a project that's going to tame the great river so there'll be no more devastating floods, then so be it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 12:21
Hey, great, like in the US TV. Is it not allowed to say f**k? Is it allowed to say Piss off, or shit or ............?Big%20smile

very cute buddy. You keep that up and you'll be honored with a mention in the warnings forum.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 11:37
Babyblue, I think nobody disagrees that China is in a change. But not every change is a good one. Of course there is a economical wonder. But with what results for a broad mass of people? The chinese economical behavior is not those of communists but of neo-capitalists. There are a lot losers. Of course every economical system has its, but I think China has to do a lot in the future to stop this development. And if you believe I just critsize just China or Russia, no, the developement in Germany in the moment isn't good yet, as well. I critisize it too. But not to notice the political situation in China, all those points according to human rights, is for me hard to understand.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 11:29

f**k off
Hey, great, like in the US TV. Is it not allowed to say f**k? Is it allowed to say Piss off, or shit or ............?Big%20smile
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 11:27
Is there another Germany?Confused
Did you watch World Cup 2006? Did we kill our guests? Of course there are incidents with Nazis. And every incident is one too much. But how much. I fear there are more kids been killed in traffic or murdered every year than there are incidents with foreigners or immigrants. If you get some numbers, you must know, that if a Russian attacks a Turk, or a Muslim a Jew in Germany it is an rassistic incident.
If you have problems with germans or Germany or with German politics I like to talk to you about it, but that's the difference, I see problems and like to talk about it and you?.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 07:57

Don't worry Ulrich, I am not saying that Germany has any disabilities that are greater than any other, I am just saying that Germany is not better than China, only different.

From everything I have heard & read, Germany treats its minorities like crap. Foriegners are not really welcome. In China it is the opposite. I would much rather live in a place that respects my values, and has an authoritarian government, than a place that uses its concept of human rights to crush the morale of as many people as it can.

Where did you hear or read this informations. From a british propaganda broadcast during WWII ? And if this are anew informations, who bandied it about?

As much as i know, there are no executions in Germany, no oppresive resettlement but free access to all media for everyone, no tanks that end a demonstration of disaffected people.

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 03:23

I'll say it again. The Chinese Communist party has done a damn good job, and I would much rather live there than Germany.

Ok guys I think it's time I as a Chinese have to step in.
 I used to be a staunch anti-communist when I was younger. My family suffered under their rule during the 50's and 60's. My grandfather hated them, my father hated them, I hated them. Around 2001, someone gave us a a calender for the new year, and it was the portrait of Mao on the first page. As soon as my grandmother saw it she started swearing. And she never swears.

But in the past ten years, my dad's views have changed, judging from some of the converstations we've had, and so have mine. The CCP from Deng Xiaping onwards is completely different from what it used to be. Surely it can't be that different, a typical Westerner would say, when you have the Tiananmen Square incident and the situation in Tibet. But that's only because they only care about human rights and freedom and their obsession with their concept of democracy. From what I've read in the majority of the posts here, nobody seems to care about the amazing progress China made in the past 30 years of economic reform, where the living standards of the average Chinese people have increased so dramatically, that every time I visit China, I am surprised by what I see. And all this is possible because of the vision and perseverance of Deng Xiaoping and his successors. Give the CCP some credit where it's due. My dad can, I can, and so can you. I'm sure the CCP would've redeemed itself in my  grandfather's eyes too, if he'd been alive today. Shame he can't see the Motherland of today.

And I reiterate what Omar said, the CCP has done a damn good job over the past 30 years.

Edited by babyblue - 31-Aug-2008 at 03:24
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 01:34
Originally posted by UvH

Actually i can count some countries i would prefer to live, but Omar to compare the situation of human rights in China and germany and come to your result, is, with all respect, the greatest moronism i have read here at the last 12 months or more.
Omar, please excuse, but either it was an excellent joke or it wasn't, than i would propose that you have to attend to this matter a bit more and set off your rose-red (here yellow-red) spectacles.

Don't worry Ulrich, I am not saying that Germany has any disabilities that are greater than any other, I am just saying that Germany is not better than China, only different.

From everything I have heard & read, Germany treats its minorities like crap. Foriegners are not really welcome. In China it is the opposite. I would much rather live in a place that respects my values, and has an authoritarian government, than a place that uses its concept of human rights to crush the morale of as many people as it can.

The German government should repeal its anti-terror laws and give citizenship to people who's parents and themselves were born in Germany before it has any right to attack other countries human rights.

China is safe? Well it depends on what you like to see. I visit Egypt a couple of years ago, at every corner there were army or police, with automatic weapons, MP's or MG's. When we went to Cairo and Luxor we went in a convoy, escorted by the army. Well, Egypt is so safe. I call a country safe, when I can't see police or army patrolling in the streets. Perhaps you think about it. You mix the quiet of a cemetery with devotional peace.

Obviously you have never been to China. China is safe. You don't see an worrying or unnecessary amount of soliders or police. You can walk the streets without fear or favour - unless you fear seeing the belly of a beijing man

I don't see what Egypt has to do with China. Making a ridiculous comparison and then saying how bad the comparison is does not make an argument.
OK, all is western propaganda against China.

First true word you said.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 31-Aug-2008 at 01:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>