Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if Mongolians horde landed in Japan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if Mongolians horde landed in Japan?
    Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 18:56
Originally posted by snoman713

japanese, hands down. since the majority of thier military activity was domestic, you can be sure they had learned to use the terrain of thier own country to thier advantage better than most nations at the time learned to use thiers. The rocky landscape with narrow corridors in between the mountains would have worked greatly to the adavntage of the japanese, and greatly inhibited thetraditional fighting style of the mongol hordes. Even if geurilla warfare was unknown, the japanese knew war very well, and would have most certainly been able to adapt in any way to secure the victory. Japanese, hands down. The Kamakura shogunate would have held on.

That's assuming that the Japanese would all unite against foreign invasion.

I wonder, how extensive was firearms and cannons used by the Mongolians? That might change the tide of war. Remember, Mongolians were skilled archors. Japan had good archors, but archors were ususally nobles. Mongolian armies had greater firepower for arrows... and Japanese armies tend to charge with pride. It will be like France vs. Britain in Hundred Years War again...

Join us.
snoman713 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote snoman713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 23:20
japanese, hands down. since the majority of thier military activity was domestic, you can be sure they had learned to use the terrain of thier own country to thier advantage better than most nations at the time learned to use thiers. The rocky landscape with narrow corridors in between the mountains would have worked greatly to the adavntage of the japanese, and greatly inhibited thetraditional fighting style of the mongol hordes. Even if geurilla warfare was unknown, the japanese knew war very well, and would have most certainly been able to adapt in any way to secure the victory. Japanese, hands down. The Kamakura shogunate would have held on.
the die is cast
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote honeybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 23:01
"It would still be a "Mongol invasion", because forcing the males of defeated peoples was almost universally done amongst all the campaigns, Yuan or non-Yuan.    Correct me if I'm wrong."

This is from CHF;

"Technically it is a Chinese invasion and was claimed to be a Chinese invasion by Kublai Khan. The Japanese also viewed it as a Chinese invasion, to the extent that when Toyotomi Hedioshi planned to invaded Korea, his envoy, the Monk Genso told the Koreans that Korea had allowed the Yuan dynasty to attack Japan 300 years before, she should now do as much for Japan when Japan is seeking revenge on China.

This was Kublai Khan's letter to Japan sent by the board of rites(a Chinese administrative post) from Yuan Shi:

八月癸亥,赐丞相伯颜第一区。丁卯,以兵部侍郎黑的、礼部侍郎殷弘使日本,赐
书曰: 皇帝奉书日本国王:朕惟自古小国之君,境土相接,尚务讲信修睦,况我祖宗
受天明命,奄有区夏,遐方异域畏威怀德者,不可悉数。朕即位之初,以高丽无辜之民,
久瘁锋镝,即令罢兵,还其疆埸,反其旄倪。高丽君臣,感戴来朝,义虽君臣,而欢若
父子。计王之君臣,亦已知之。高丽,朕之东籓也。日本密迩高丽,开国以来,时通中
国,至于朕躬,而无一乘之使以通和好。
尚恐王国知之未审,故特遣使持书布告朕心,
冀自今以往,通问结好,以相亲睦。且圣人以四海为家,不相通好,岂一家之理哉?以
至用兵,夫孰所好,王其图之。

Key phrase: "Japan was close to Korea, ever since its creation, it has often been in contact with China. Only with me, was there not a single envoy that was sent for good relationship."

In fact, Kubilai had planned to create a "province of Japan" before he invaded. "

The same goes with all of the Mongol invasions in other parts of East Asia; the political protocol was that of a Chines emperor, the only part of Asia where the Mongol fought as "Mongols" was in cental Asia.
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 19:23
Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

I've never thought of that.  How good was meteorology in those regions at the time?

Im not exactly sure about the sailors that went to Japan but Chinese farmers were usually able to predict the weather forecast such as if there would be rain for the farm or not. I dunno if they can predict typhoons though... Ermm
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 18:31
Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

I've never thought of that.  How good was meteorology in those regions at the time?

Not well. I don't know much about China, but I know Korean's astrology declined ever since the splitting of Silla unification...

But Koreans and Chinese must have known that water current in East Sea is quite difficult for huge fleet to cross, if the violent typhoon didn't even exist in the first place. Why didn't the Mongolians use Korean Straight? Route is shorter.

Join us.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 17:34
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 15:49

is it possible that Chinese or Korean sailor knew about the kamakaze before the invasion and trick the mongolians into it.

Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 15:23
yes a considerable number of ships made to the shore and they foungt agains the Japnese.

assuming this is a real painting around that time, there were actuall battles fought between Mongols and Japnese.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 11:25
Originally posted by TranHungDao

Originally posted by pekau

There's not much to raid in Japan until you get to the Eastern Japan. Until then, they would be intercepted by mountains, Japanese warlords, Japanese resistance and overstretched communication and supply lines.

I could have sworn that they made it to Japan, perhaps even landing some forces on eastern Japanese shores.  But I'd have to double check.

Very few actually made it to Japanese shores. But they were heavily outnumbered and leaderless compared to Japanese armies. Even a single warlord or two could have drove them off. I can't recall their eventual fate, but I am sure they either surrendered or were slain by Japan.

Or if they were Koreans/Chinese... maybe they took this as an advantage to sail to lands where there were no Mongolian influence. I have to get back to you on that one.

Join us.
Easternknight View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 10:57
 Cool Welcome Back Janggoon
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 03:02
Originally posted by The Charioteer

And both the first invasion and second invasion had flawed warships.The korean used poor quality and recycled woods to build the warships, while the Chinese design of the warships for the Mongol was more "deadly" than the "divine wind",  whether its due to meet required invasion date or other reasons, Kubilai's third planned invasion would again rely on Korean resoures as if he doesnt trust the Chinese after failure of second invasion.

Actually, I've heard just the opposite.  From what I understand, Chinese ships were made out of shoddy materials (Intentionally in order to sabotage the Mongols IIRC).  On the other hand, I've heard stories (most likely exaggerated) that not a single Korean ship was sunk during the Kamikaze. 
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 01:34
Originally posted by pekau

There's not much to raid in Japan until you get to the Eastern Japan. Until then, they would be intercepted by mountains, Japanese warlords, Japanese resistance and overstretched communication and supply lines.

I could have sworn that they made it to Japan, perhaps even landing some forces on eastern Japanese shores.  But I'd have to double check.
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 19:09

Even one Mongol army could take down an entire empire or continent.

Except for Japan and Vietnam, and also to a lesser extent, Egypt Wink
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2007 at 13:00
And remember, Mongolian armies are hordes. They can't just beat the army. They need to raid, plunder and steal the possessions, farmlands and stuff that would sustain the Mongolian hordes. That's why Mongolians and Huns never needed a captial. They simply camp in one place, and move to the next camp. There's not much to raid in Japan until you get to the Eastern Japan. Until then, they would be intercepted by mountains, Japanese warlords, Japanese resistance and overstretched communication and supply lines.

Join us.
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 16:46
Originally posted by Hulegu Han

The number of Chinese soldiers could't have been so much as you said. It sounds like that not Mongol invasion but invasion of China to Japan. As far as I know, Mongols used not to trust Chinese; for example, Mongol courts tended to choose other nationality, for example Khitans, Turks, Uygurs for governer of Chinese cities or in palace service. The same thing must have been in army !

It's true the Mongol conquerors didn't trust their Chinese subjects, but ...  There simply weren't that many Mongols males to begin with.  There were so many invasions during the Yuan dynasty; the two invasions of Japan were hardly the largest.  From what I understand, the generals were definitely Mongol.  The advisors, wartime "consiglieris", who always seemed to push Kublai towards war and conquest were Mongols.  But the bulk of the soldiers were not Mongols, but males from defeated populations.   I find it hard to believe they would actually import perhaps as much as a million+ non-Chinese, young & healthy, military age males for all the Yuan invasions, for that is what it would have taken.  Would the Other Khanates be willing to give up and transport that many men?

Besides, I'm pretty certain it was written in Yuan records that the bulk of the soldiers in the larger campaigns were indeed Chinese.

It sounds like that not Mongol invasion but invasion of China to Japan.

It would still be a "Mongol invasion", because forcing the males of defeated peoples was almost universally done amongst all the campaigns, Yuan or non-Yuan.    Correct me if I'm wrong.

What are the perks of joining a Mongol army?  First, they didn't kill you.  Second, and perhaps just as important:  You can rape, pillage and plunder!  Not caring is fun!  Embarrassed

The main advantage of Mongol army was the mobility or speed. They  were able to  be amazingly fast on battle field so it gave them good tactical chances over enemy army.  The European finest wariors  you mentioned above migth have been so slow  because of their heavy armor! Maybe I say wrong; if so, enlighten me, please!

Well, if you look at how they actually defeated the European knights...   (My understanding of it comes from an original article--as opposed to a mere forum posting-- her on AE.  The Mongols sent a small number of mounted archers to where the combined European forces were.  These archers fired off a few volley of arrows and then quickly retreated.  The Europeans calvary, i.e. the knights, naturally went into predator mode and gave chase.  The mounted Mongol archers lead them to a preplanned and well prepared ambush point, where many more mounted Mongol archers, or light cavalry, were waiting.  These combined force of mounted Mongol archers, or light cavalry then immediate proceeded to decimate the knights whom by the way were also separated from their own archers and infantry.  The heavy Mongol cavalry then moved in and mopped up the rest of what was left of the European knights.

If what I've just said is correct, then the mounted Mongol archer is by far more important than the Mongol heavy cavalry.  Take away the mounted Mongol archer, and the Mongol heavy cavalry would have to take on the knights alone.  Knights of course also rode horses.  (Were Mongol horses faster than that of the European varieties?  Even so, they couldn't have been that much faster.)  Also remember, the combined European force, including infantry, outnumbered the Mongols 3 to 1 or more--if memory serves me.

Edited by TranHungDao - 04-Jun-2007 at 16:51
Hulegu Han View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hulegu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 13:19

I don't think Mongols had as many horses as needed on their ships when they got Kyushu. Actually mongol warrior without horse isn't different from that of other nations, probably even worse.

Yeah, I've always woundered about the number of horses they brought with them.  Keep in mind too that the sea going distance from Korea to Japan (and China to Japan isn't that great.)  Of course, getting horses onto shore is far more difficult than getting men on shore.

The Mongol mounted archer/light calvalry was the heart of the Mongol military juggernaut.  Without it, any Mongol force would be weakend severely.  By way of comparison, correct me if I'm wrong but...  I don't think the Mongol heavy calvalry could have beaten Europe's finest knights by themselves, i.e. the Hospitallers, the Templars & the Teutonic Knights.  And yet, Europe's finest along with their infantry were creamed by a much smaller force of mounted Mongol archers/light calvary and the Mongol heavy calvalry.

The main advantage of Mongol army was the mobility or speed. They  were able to  be amazingly fast on battle field so it gave them good tactical chances over enemy army.  The European finest wariors  you mentioned above migth have been so slow  because of their heavy armor! Maybe I say wrong; if so, enlighten me, please!
Hulegu Han View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hulegu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 12:48

Most "Mongol soldiers" were generally non-Mongols to begin with, i.e. men from defeated peoples who were given the choice of join or die. 

The 1st invasion of Japan was about 50/50 Mongol and Korean and totalled about 25,000 (or was it 40,000 ???).  The second was mostly Chinese (100,000 maybe ?), some Korean, and of course actual Mongols.  The second invasion numbered about 140,000 "Mongol troops" in total. 

The number of Chinese soldiers could't have been so much as you said. It sounds like that not Mongol invasion but invasion of China to Japan. As far as I know, Mongols used not to trust Chinese; for example, Mongol courts tended to choose other nationality, for example Khitans, Turks, Uygurs for governer of Chinese cities or in palace service. The same thing must have been in army !
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 01:29
Originally posted by Kamikaze 738

In the early 1260s, the Mongols probably had some minor engagements among their empire but the big conflicts were that of the Middle East and the Russian states and that of the Southern Song.

Lol, 3 Mongol armies is stronger than two Ermm, namely the ones you said joined forces against Southern Song--the Mideast one assaulting Syria and the one already trying to take down Southern Song.

Even one Mongol army could take down an entire empire or continent.

Besides, there were only 4 Khanates.  Disapprove
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 17:16

The Mongols had their hands in more than just two places.

In the early 1260s, the Mongols probably had some minor engagements among their empire but the big conflicts were that of the Middle East and the Russian states and that of the Southern Song.
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 15:37

I don't think Mongols had as many horses as needed on their ships when they got Kyushu. Actually mongol warrior without horse isn't different from that of other nations, probably even worse.

Yeah, I've always woundered about the number of horses they brought with them.  Keep in mind too that the sea going distance from Korea to Japan (and China to Japan isn't that great.)  Of course, getting horses onto shore is far more difficult than getting men on shore.

The Mongol mounted archer/light calvalry was the heart of the Mongol military juggernaut.  Without it, any Mongol force would be weakend severely.  By way of comparison, correct me if I'm wrong but...  I don't think the Mongol heavy calvalry could have beaten Europe's finest knights by themselves, i.e. the Hospitallers, the Templars & the Teutonic Knights.  And yet, Europe's finest along with their infantry were creamed by a much smaller force of mounted Mongol archers/light calvary and the Mongol heavy calvalry.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>