Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

United States of Europe...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: United States of Europe...?
    Posted: 04-May-2007 at 01:45
First of all, I'd like to stress that I am against any territorial changes of Poland and Polish neighbours.

Originally posted by Ovidius

Take Austria for example - does it still have a right to Bohemia, Moravia, Lusatia and, yes, Silesia? It has a long history of "ownership" to these lands.

As far as Silesia is concerned, Austria had it for only about 200 years.

Silesia is more German than it is Polish - based on the Historical development - Its modern formation was based on German Culture - not Polish.

Ovidius, most of Silesia WAS more German than Polish. Silesia has been rebuilded after WWII and now it has a Polish character. Of course there are still many historical places which might be joined with German culture, but there are in minority. Believe me, Silesia in 1939 and in 2007 are 2 different places.
And second notice - even after WWI part of Silesia had a Polish character. You can read about 3 Silesian uprisings after WWI which finally were the cause of annexing a part of Silesia to Poland.

As for Vilnius. Vilnius was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Not part of Poland.

That is a half true. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth existed until the 3rd May Constitution, which joined both united states into 1 state - the Kingdom of Poland. It happened before second partition of Poland.
Of course Vilnius was the capitol of Grand Dutchy of Lithuania (united with Kingdom of Poland since 1569) before 3rd May Constitution.

The Polish nation actually TOOK THE CITY BY FORCE, in the 1920's.

1. Well, after WWI Poland regained an independence by a force. So you can say that every part of Poland was taken by a force in 1918-1921.
2. As far as the character of Vilnius and its neighbourhood in 1920's is concerned. It was by no means a Polish territory. The population of Vilnius and powiats wileńsko-trocki and święciański consisted of:
69,1% Poles
12,6% Jews
11,3% Lithuanians
the rest - smaller minorities

So if you want a debate, lets start it on the right grounds. By what factors do you lay claim to these lands. Not History, clearly. Are you talking demographics? They had more "Poles"? Then Krakow shouldn't be Polish? Nor vast areas of Poland. You cannot have it all ways.

Ovidius, what period are you talking about?

Edited by ataman - 04-May-2007 at 02:00
Bosniakum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bosniakum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 01:12

Argueing that Europe cannot become one nation just because it has to many different laguages, customs etc. does not make any sense.  All nations were forged artificially out of several different peoples having different cultures.  Even today just looking at India for example.  India has hundreds of different lnguages with drastically different cultures, but still they are succeding in staying together. Also it is a necessity for Europe to become united.  The age of nation-states as powers is pretty much over.  The future is going to be dominated by super states like the united states, china, and India, and if Europe wants a part of it, than we have to unite.

"I krv svoju za Bosnu moju"
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 03:44

Originally posted by Jagiello

I never said such thing.It's one thing to say a territory belongs to a nation and other to start planing how to retake those territories.Yes,they are now either ukrainian or belarussian and i can't do anything about it.This doesn't matter however that we should forget how unfair they've been taken from us and given to a nation without a history.You say-those terrytories are now theirs,we can't do anything about it than why disscus.Well,this is a FORUM.We are supposed to disscus.If we leave each situation that can't be changed just like that and don't mention it there wouldn't be anything to talk about.

true, this would not be a righteouss way of acting. However, these regions wer enot Polish because they simply once belonged to Poland; Kamieniec Podolski once also belonged to Poland but there isn't much arguement of attaching that to Poland today. LWOW, and WILNO were and to some extent will always be "Polish" because of how Polish people influenced the places. The Buildings, architecture, they all are reminisent of a Polish city. AND at the time of the secod world war Polish people had a 60% majority in both cities. It is not fair to bring them back under Polish rule today true. But it was also not fair for those cities to be taken away also.

The problem I have with this sort of discussion is that it leads to some sense of being "cheated" by History. To be honest, Poland has a dark history and has been honoured by History. To think of nations that have not been aided by foreign states or have had their influence completely erradicated by treaties, Poland should be GREATFUL for the land that it does have. Take Austria for example - does it still have a right to Bohemia, Moravia, Lusatia and, yes, Silesia? It has a long history of "ownership" to these lands.

Silesia is more German than it is Polish - based on the Historical development - Its modern formation was based on German Culture - not Polish.

As for Vilnius. Vilnius was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Not part of Poland. So now you are laying claim to non Historically Polish lands. Unless you are calling for the reformation of the commonwealth? The Polish nation actually TOOK THE CITY BY FORCE, in the 1920's.

So if you want a debate, lets start it on the right grounds. By what factors do you lay claim to these lands. Not History, clearly. Are you talking demographics? They had more "Poles"? Then Krakow shouldn't be Polish? Nor vast areas of Poland. You cannot have it all ways.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 02:25
Originally posted by Majkes

Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Not only Silesia and kaszubian are deffinetly polish but a lot of other territories that unfortunately are now either belorussian or ukrainian.
Why unfortunate? They have as much right to be there as anyone else.
Who has as much right to be where?The ucranians have right to be on territories that have been polish for centuries or maybe the bellorusians have right over a land where never in history such a country existed?

The same can be said about Polish land. E.g. Silesia was more time German than Polish. Ucrainian have a right to their territories the same as we have to ours. The same goes with Belarous.
And can you tell me when did in the history of Earth exist a country called Belorus,when was it created and what history does it have?Because as i know(obviously i'm wrong as you say) Belorus is an artificial country that was created by the USSR in order to keep their influence in the region.With the same purpose Ukraina has been given such ennormous terriotories that absolutely never in history were recalled as "Ukraina"- including Lwow region and the Crimean peninsula.I wonder what do children in Belorus learn in their history lessons when they simply don't have a history!The probably must be learning the polish history as most of the time those lands were polish , lithunian or russian.Just as with the language which is a dialekt between russian,lithunian and polish.

Belarous was independent shortly after WWI. I don't care what they learn on history but knowing Lukashenko probably USSR glorious past. I also don't care whose was Lvov. Now it is Ukrainian and it should stay like this.
Well, then we come to a conclusion.You don't care.End of the debate.

Histroricaly or not Lvov and Vilinus are now Ukrainian and Lithuanian. Most of people who live there are Ukrainians and Lithuanians. Do You suggest we should throw them away and move Polish there because it used to belong to Poland for some time?

true, this would not be a righteouss way of acting. However, these regions wer enot Polish because they simply once belonged to Poland; Kamieniec Podolski once also belonged to Poland but there isn't much arguement of attaching that to Poland today. LWOW, and WILNO were and to some extent will always be "Polish" because of how Polish people influenced the places. The Buildings, architecture, they all are reminisent of a Polish city. AND at the time of the secod world war Polish people had a 60% majority in both cities. It is not fair to bring them back under Polish rule today true. But it was also not fair for those cities to be taken away also.
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 14:23

Not only Silesia and kaszubian are deffinetly polish but a lot of other territories that unfortunately are now either belorussian or ukrainian.
Who has as much right to be where?The ucranians have right to be on territories that have been polish for centuries or maybe the bellorusians have right over a land where never in history such a country existed?

The same can be said about Polish land. E.g.Silesia was more time German than Polish. Ucrainian have a right to their territories the same as wehave to ours. The same goeswith Belarous.
And can you tell me when did in the history of Earth exist a country called Belorus,when was it created and what history does it have?Because as i know(obviously i'm wrong as you say) Belorus is an artificial country that was created by the USSR in order to keep their influence in the region.With the same purpose Ukraina has been given such ennormous terriotories that absolutely never in history were recalled as "Ukraina"- including Lwow region and the Crimean peninsula.I wonder what do children in Belorus learn in their history lessons when they simply don't have a history!The probably must be learning the polish history as most of the time those lands were polish , lithunian or russian.Just as with the language which is a dialekt between russian,lithunian and polish.

Belarous was independent shortly after WWI. I don't care what they learn on history but knowing Lukashenko probably USSR glorious past. I also don't care whose was Lvov. Now it is Ukrainian and it should stay like this.

Histroricaly or not Lvov and Vilinus are now Ukrainian and Lithuanian. Most of people who live there are Ukrainians and Lithuanians. Do You suggest we should throw them away and move Polish there because it used to belong to Poland for some time?

I never said such thing.It's one thing to say a territory belongs to a nation and other to start planing how to retake those territories.Yes,they are now either ukrainian or belarussian and i can't do anything about it.This doesn't matter however that we should forget how unfair they've been taken from us and given to a nation without a history.You say-those terrytories are now theirs,we can't do anything about it than why disscus.Well,this is a FORUM.We are supposed to disscus.If we leave each situation that can't be changed just like that and don't mention it there wouldn't be anything to talk about.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 14:13

Why unfortunate?  They have as much right to be there as anyone else.

The same can be said about Polish land. E.g. Silesia was more time German than Polish. Ucrainian have a right to their territories the same as we have to ours. The same goes with Belarous.

Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 13:28

The same can be said about Polish land. E.g.Silesia was more time German than Polish. Ucrainian have a right to their territories the same as wehave to ours. The same goeswith Belarous.

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 13:00

The same can be said about Polish land. E.g. Silesia was more time German than Polish. Ucrainian have a right to their territories the same as we have to ours. The same goes with Belarous.

Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 08:44

Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 23:38

The whole area has been heavily mixed since before there were Nation States.  and Ukrainians, Ruthenians and other minorities have long born the brunt of purist nationalist dreams.  So I don't sympathize with the idea that the land is "Polish" or not.  If it's in modern Poland, let it stay there, but respect the minorities as well.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 20:24

The same can be said about Polish land. E.g. Silesia was more time German than Polish. Ucrainian have a right to their territories the same as we have to ours. The same goes with Belarous.

Depends what we're calling Slask. Poland always had some of Slask for a longer period than Germany.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 20:22
Originally posted by sreenivasarao s

Originally posted by Sarmata

Yes, it is irrelevant .

<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: justify;"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma;">We have strayed away from </span><st1:place><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma;">Europe</span></st1:place><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma;">. Let us get back to the
question whether </span><st1:place><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma;">Europe</span></st1:place><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma;"> could be a model for the future? Whether the European attempt to
create a multi-lingual, multi-religious, multi-ethnic, political and economic
community will succeed? I can say from my Indian experience, Indian society, to
some extent, anticipated </span><st1:place><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma;">Europe</span></st1:place><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma;"> by a few decades, in the matter of pluralism in religion, language,
culture etc.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="text-align: justify;"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma;"><o:p> </o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial;"><o:p> </o:p></span>

Europe cannot make a united states out of itself. Simply over the fact that there is far too much history and with it grudges that are very old but still very present. America was a country built off immigrants and they created a nationality out of it. Europe has a longer history and much more nationalities than America and Im not so sure how many Europeans will wanna Be "European" first and their national identity later.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 15:44

Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 13:44

Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 11:47

Yes, it is irrelevant  .

We have strayed away from Europe. Let us get back to the question whether Europe could be a model for the future? Whether the European attempt to create a multi-lingual, multi-religious, multi-ethnic, political and economic community will succeed? I can say from my Indian experience, Indian society, to some extent, anticipated Europe by a few decades, in the matter of pluralism in religion, language, culture etc.

Yet India is slipping away from that ideal and has done since the beginning. Depending on the region, Muslims are quite often treated unfairly within your system. You also have a fairly unequal culture too - the Rich get it all, the poor get nothing.

I think Europe is a better example of a working economic union than india, basically because it is benefitial to the masses - workers from nearly all sectors.

However, it is the political unity within a federal system that is difficult to found within the european experiment. Basically because Europe gave up on that idea, using the idea of expantionism instead. Probably because it was more profitable to include tiny economic states and reap the benefits from the inequality of the system.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 10:33

Yes, it is irrelevant  .

We have strayed away from Europe. Let us get back to the question whether Europe could be a model for the future? Whether the European attempt to create a multi-lingual, multi-religious, multi-ethnic, political and economic community will succeed? I can say from my Indian experience, Indian society, to some extent, anticipated Europe by a few decades, in the matter of pluralism in religion, language, culture etc. 

Yes of course it could but not the way the Commission are going in trying to set up a larger version of any country with all the relatively close controls that implies.

They have to try and develop something far different which leaves much more to the individual countries
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 09:53

sreenivasarao s View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote sreenivasarao s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 04:34

Yes, it is irrelevant  .

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 03:27

"Litwa to dalszy ciag Polski"

"Lwow! - ktorez polskie serce nie drgnie na to miano"

- Jozef Pilsudski
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 03:24
Yes, it is irrelevant but Im not the one who began posting about them. Only trying to dissuade the idea that KKK is a european invention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>