Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oblivion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Avicenna View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Avicenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oblivion
    Posted: 12-Jun-2006 at 15:53
Yea, lol, I have a gateway laptop...

Games like half-life 2, and age of empires III run really well, at pretty much the highest settings and I have no problem with those.

Do you think it'll be worth it, if I get Oblivion?

Again my specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 processor 3700+
2.41 GHz, 1.00 GB of Ram
Ati Radeon 9700 series with 64 MB of memory

If you were me, would you?

...Let not this body live, if there is no Iran...

Ferdowsi - 11th century AD.

http:
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 20:27
the only thing you could do would be too buy a video card. Most likely an ATI or Nvidia card, with atleast 128mb, preferably 256MB. There's nothing you can do to your current graphics controller to boost the power. If you're using a laptop, you're not going to be able to just add in a new video card like you would be able to if you were using a desktop computer.

It's only possible to increase the performance of stand-alone video cards. And that is done thru over-clocking, or installing good software drivers, of which there are many.

You can however, boost the RAM by adding more. It's usually pretty easy. It's tricky on laptops sometimes, depending the type of laptop model. It's fairly cheap to add another stick of 512MB. usually around $50 USD. Price may vary a tad depening on what type of RAM you have.

Edited by Illuminati - 09-Jun-2006 at 20:29
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 19:34
Is there any kind of chip i can buy to increase the power???

Thanks so much for your help!! Really apreciate it!
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 17:32
yup, thats exactly what i was looking for.

you actually don't have a video card. you have whats called an integrated graphics controller, with 96MB backing it up.

Oblivion would destroy a 96MB videocard. An integrated graphics controller wouldn't even stand a chance. You may be able to install it, and perhaps get it to run, but you'll have to turn the graphics all the way down, turn off the shaders off, etc...

Personally, i wouldn't buy Oblivion. No matter what you do, it'll run still  choppy and lock up all the time. It's a hugely demanding game
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 09:47
this may be relevant but im not too sure!! here goes:

chip type:Intel(R) 82865G Graphics controller
DAC type:Internal
memory size:96 mb
adapter sharing:82865G Graphics controller
bios iformation:Intel video BIOS
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 23:06
Originally posted by funkyflea

I'm not really sure about my video card!! do you know how i might be able to find out?

yup. It's real easy.

1. right click anywhere on desktop
2. Click on "properties"
3. that'll pop up a window called "display properties"
4. click on the "settings" tab
5. click on the "advanced"
6. That will pop up a new window prolly entitled "plug and play...."
7. there are a bunch of tabs at the top, one of which is your video card. The name of the tab varies depending on what kind of card you have.

to help you narrow down which tab it may be, you can ignore these tabs...general, adapter, monitor, troubleshoot, and color management.

jsut copy me whatever information is displayed once you select the tab that corresponds to your video card (or possibly, your integrated graphics controller) and I'll be able to tell you what kinda stuff it could handle.

Edited by Illuminati - 07-Jun-2006 at 23:07
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 22:59
Originally posted by Avicenna

Will Oblivion work on my PC?  I want to get it, but I'm not sure it will work.

Here are my specs:

2.41 GHz, 1.00 GB of Ram

Your processor and RAM should be fine. THe optimal card that Oblivion recommends, is the 256 MB ATI X800XL video card. Oblivion gives 128MB cards a run for their money, I'm not even sure it'll play with only a 64MB videocard. if it does play, it's going to be extremely choppy and you'll have to turn the graphics way down.

out of curiosity, what computer do you have? Your specs look like they are from some of Gateway's new laptops. They've been putting some hardcore processors in them later, and 64MB videocards are only really used in laptops these days.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 22:59
I'm not really sure about my video card!! do you know how i might be able to find out?
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 22:53
your processor will be fine.

However, it's recommended that you ahve atleast 1gb or RAM. Even with high tier gaming ram in the range of pc4200, the game will still run choppy with only 512. You may be able to get away with it, if you turn down the graphics and turn off all shadow effects. Though, Oblivion wasn' meant ot be played at low graphical settings. It's too beautiful of a game for that lol

What type of video card do you have? The video card makes a big difference in Oblivion and how well it'll run.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 22:20
I have a standard intel pentium 4 processor windows xp with 2.99ghz and 512mb of ram! will it be slow if i buy oblivion?
Avicenna View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Avicenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 17:35
Will Oblivion work on my PC?  I want to get it, but I'm not sure it will work.

Here are my specs:

2.41 GHz, 1.00 GB of Ram

...Let not this body live, if there is no Iran...

Ferdowsi - 11th century AD.

http:
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 11:26

LOL... My friend always plays games. He rents a least 2-4 games a week, from Blockbuster. Some games are crappy, some are okay, some are great. But he also works out, goes to school, take showers, etc. He is a hugh gamer for sure.

Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2006 at 00:27
the mainquest is estimated at about 20 hours
Americanus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 13:22

He not that hard core its very possible to beat the game in less than 5 days if you just do the mainquest and no sidequests.

"Give Me Liberty or Give me death"
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2006 at 11:18
Originally posted by HOMERS HAND

so how can your friend beat the game in that time
Hmmmm...He bought it on March 30th and he beat it on April 19th He is a hardcore gamer. He pays attention to a game and plays it to the end.Tongue  
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2006 at 10:19

You must not be a true fan of the elder scrolls series then.

Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2006 at 05:00
Originally posted by Americanus

Did anyone get the collectors edition it comes with a cool coin and guide to the history of the empire.

The coin is pretty good, but you must frame it ASAP , becuase it dents very easily.

The pocket book is very lame, it has information on the races and some history of the empire, and thats about it, nothing new to read there (already in-game books have most of the information). 

Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 14:36

Did anyone get the collectors edition it comes with a cool coin and guide to the history of the empire.

HOMERS HAND View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote HOMERS HAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 08:57
so how can your friend beat the game in that time
love is but one of the paths we cross
Knight
Knight

Quote Americanus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 10:51
Its actually over 200 hours of fun and missions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>