Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The modern Greek military

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The modern Greek military
    Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 15:14
Originally posted by Reuters

BEIRUT, June 7 (Reuters) - Talks between France and Greece over the possible sale of Rafale figter jets, Super Puma helicopters and Fremm frigates are "advancing well", an official close to French president Nicolas Sarkozy said on Saturday.

The talks are about the possible Greek purchase of 40 Rafale planes made by Dassault (AVMD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research), 10 navy frigates and some 15 Super Pumas from Eurocopter (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research), the official said at the margin of a visit by Sarkozy to Lebanon.

"That is what is on the table," the official, who declined to be named, said; "The three dossiers are advancing well."

Last week the president's office said the United Arab Emerates would buy 63 Rafale fighters to replace their French-made Mirage jets -- the first ever foreign order for the Rafale.

(Reporting by Emmanel Jarry)

Hmm....

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 01:21
thanks xristar!
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2008 at 00:50
I have no official information, and I'm not nearly an expert in air operations, so I'll give you a sum of what I've read in forums with greek members that have some inside information.

The exercise is massive and more than 50 israeli fighters participate. Some helicopters also participate (CH-53 I think).
Israeli fighters fly directly from Israel, refuelling on air.
Israelis are the "attackers" performing ground attacks on certain greek airports and shooting reanges of the greek mainland (Larissa in Thessaly). Greeks are the "defenders", intercepting israel's forces.
Israel has requested (as I already said) that S-300 and HAWK participate, but Greece refused.

Given the long range, and the request of Israel for participation of the SAMs, and generally the nature of the exercise, it very strongly seems to be a rehearsal for an attack against Iran.Nuke

Victory needs none.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 23:42
No wonder, Isreal would pass on any information to the USA and to Turkey.

While we know what model these missiles were when they ordered them (back tracking from published price helps), we dont know for sure what enhancements and additional work has been done. The different models, radar configurations make a big difference in capability. Greece has done quite well in keeping these very important details under wraps.
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 13:53
Good. Thanks xristar
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 11:39
Israel has repeatedly asked that AA systems participate but Greece refused.
Israel asked initially for the participation of the S-300. Then they also asked that their planes be locked by HAWKs. None happened.

Victory needs none.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 23:47
I am very sure they wont, those SAMs are top secret. The war games gives greece a chance to asses Irsleali avionics, so it cuts both ways.
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 15:31
I just say that we shouldn't activate the S-300 during the exercise, although I am confident the officials have already taken care of this.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 14:49
Originally posted by Vorian

Meanwhile all that data can easily pass to the other side of the Aegean with which Israelis have excellent relationships.

Remember that Israel and Cyprus have started doing common research for oil, something that in the past would cause a great objection by Turkey, if Cyprus was involved. Now, that Israel joined there's not a word except from some noize in the beginning.

Also, remember that we have many Israeli millitary students in Greece. This excercise is nothing new. Just one level ahead.

Also, the Turkey - Israel relation is simply good, something that was established back in the days when Papandreou and Arafat (RIP) were best buddies and the Grecoisraeli relations were deteriorating. I don't see the same situation nowadays.

Edited by Flipper - 22-May-2008 at 14:54

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 14:46
Originally posted by Leonidas

Stealth - might not be as big an issue in air to air combat, will certainly challenge Greek SAM's, but they would have to win the air first.

The S400, the next generation of SAM's that are on our shoppin list are anti-stealth. Also, I think the S300 are now upgradable for such a feature.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070705/68405566.html

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 14:33
Originally posted by xristar

I'm not the one to answer your question really.
I guess the fact that it is a stealth plane, has powerful engine and an excellent radar.

A new i picked from defencenet.gr: HAF and israeli air force will make a joint large excercise, with about 40 israeli fighters (F-16 and F-15) participating (and the greek wings of Crete). It will be the first excercise of such magnitude that Greece and Israel will make together. It certainly will be interesting.

Interesting but I don't like it. Israelis will come, gather data about our airdefense (need I remind that the S-300 are stationed in Crete) and leave while we only earn some experience and "good" relationships. Meanwhile all that data can easily pass to the other side of the Aegean with which Israelis have excellent relationships.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 14:26

I guess the fact that it is a stealth plane, has powerful engine and an excellent radar.

this is a media beat up of some sorts, much like the Turkish media about the S-300 SAM when Cyprus bought them. Those SAM's are good but not like what was said.

Stealth - might not be as big an issue in air to air combat, will certainly challenge Greek SAM's, but they would have to win the air first.

Power, like i said power to weight needs to be looked at rather than the engine itself.  These things are certainly not looking like they are nimble dog fighters and would need enough advantage in stealth to make up for it.

Radar, should be good. In fact, the yet be fully developed 'fusion' of the sensors/interface around the pilot that will make these things stand out from the other fighters. The raptor will get some of this technology transplanted later on....

These planes will hurt in term of close support, strike and SEAD type mission but , so far are looking like average A-A fighters.

Read this Aussie analysis, good website even if its biased against the f-35. We don't really know how this thing will turn out (esp details) or even cost yet.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 04:12
that would be interesting, its a way to see how good their technology is....
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 20:57

A new i picked from defencenet.gr: HAF and israeli air force will make a joint large excercise, with about 40 israeli fighters (F-16 and F-15) participating (and the greek wings of Crete). It will be the first excercise of such magnitude that Greece and Israel will make together. It certainly will be interesting.

Victory needs none.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2008 at 00:32

In my mind the EF and Block 52+ (& M 2000-5) makes a very strong 'hi-lo' mix, even if matched against a newer F-35 fleet and  Block 50's.

We'll see.
Here in Greece, however, people fear the F35 quite a lot.

why? it is not a dogfighter, looks like it will have a weak power/weight ratio and only has some stealth on the frontal arc. Its would make a good bomb truck (Lo-Hi) if the sky can be secured by another more able fighter. The UK as the EF (Lo-Hi) and the US has the Raptor, hence the attack and close support ability of the  F-35 will always be more important to them (and thats how they have developed it).

Any superoirty will be in the weapons/electronic fit, which is still be developed. BTW Turkey will not get the full blown US model, even the closer anglo allies will be lucky getting something like that. So for now it is just a big fat expensive duck that a EF or even a Blk52+ can handle.

over here faced with upgraded Flankers  quite a few people think the F-35 is a inadequate fighter on its own.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 11:52
Hows the logistic infrastructure in Greece. In many euro countries politicians seems to cut down on that, and then buy sexy new weapons, so they can say that "the defence budget has been cut to the bone" while saying that "they are committed to a strong defence".

I'll tell you one thing, and make your own conclusions:
Greece bought 350+ Leopard II, and no ammunition.
Today, 4-5 years after the agreement, Greece has received ca 200 pieces, and has still no ammunition! Still, the fancy Leopard 2HEL participated in the 25th March parade, in Athens...Ermm
Apart from this, I'd say that generally things have matured over here, and purchases often include auxiliary vehicles, training, spare parts and support for years etc, something that did not happen very often in previous decades.

I was looking over at Greece ORBAT (I could not find the TOE), and I can't really see the basis for having two corps HQ's.

Ermm...what?
Greece basically has 5 corps HQs (A', B', C', D' and ASDEN).
A' corps is based in western Macedonia, and has some conventional formation (1 armoured brigade, and some mech and inf brigades)
B' corps is based in central Macedonia. I't reffered as 'Rapid reaction corps' and inlcudes all special forces of Greece (one marine brigade, one commando bde, one airborne bde and 2 mechanized infantry brigades)
C' is based in central Macedonia, and is a NATO corps, with no units. The military wanted to disband it, but for political reasons that won't happen.
D' corps is the strongest corps of Greece, and is based in Thrace. It includes the best conventional formations of Greece (3 armoured brigades plus some mech and inf brigades)
ASDEN is the high command of interior and island defence. It includes all forces of the islands, which do not have typical divisional or brigade structure. It's forces are 2 equivalents of divisions, 4 equivalents of brigades, 1 infantry brigade and the greek forces in Cyprus (1 mechanized brigade).
sometimes it's reffered as 3 corps, apparently excluding C' and ASDEN (which are not exactly corps).

As about the need for Greece to have more than one corps HQ (was this your question?), I'm not really the one to give you the answer.
I guess however, that since the border is long and the nature of threats diverge, there is also a need for different corps, organized differently and with different missions.
Apart from this, since Greece is abandoning the division commands, one single corps would have 23 brigades! That's a lot for one HQ.

Edited by xristar - 19-May-2008 at 12:00

Victory needs none.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 09:23
Hows the logistic infrastructure in Greece. In many euro countries politicians seems to cut down on that, and then buy sexy new weapons, so they can say that "the defence budget has been cut to the bone" while saying that "they are committed to a strong defence".

I was looking over at Greece ORBAT (I could not find the TOE), and I can't really see the basis for having two corps HQ's.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 08:35
In my mind the EF and Block 52+ (& M 2000-5) makes a very strong 'hi-lo' mix, even if matched against a newer F-35 fleet and  Block 50's.

We'll see.
Here in Greece, however, people fear the F35 quite a lot.
I don't like complicated fleets of multi aged and multi-types of aircraft.

I think noone does.

Victory needs none.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 10:41

I doubt if half of the Phantoms and the A-7 can fly. After these planes get retired Greece will have a mix of Mirage 2000s, F-16s and New Fighter. The Mirages all all predicted to be upgraded to 2000-5 level, the F-16 Block 30 will be retired in the mid of the next decade, while the rest will all be upgraded to Block 52+. If that happens, Greece will have a very good mix of modern or relatively modern aircraft.
Now that you mentioned it, some time ago, a country (Jordan I think?) was interested in buying Greece's stored Mirage F1s.
IIRC the EF was to replace the A7 and phantoms, right?  I would of thought those extra - extra EF's  could come in when the Block 30's are ready to go.

In my mind the EF and Block 52+ (& M 2000-5) makes a very strong 'hi-lo' mix, even if matched against a newer F-35 fleet and  Block 50's. Though I am saying this based on reported information. BTW, I don't like complicated fleets of multi aged and multi-types of aircraft.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 20:30
Gripen is in another weight class, and is a step down in term of power/capabilities (range) to an advanced F16. Good for Cyprus as a point defense fighter that wouldnt be too threatening for others

Cyprus can't have an airforce really, because it's a small island, and her airports are within the range of the turkish rocket artillery. If Cyprus had an air force it would propably be based in Crete (or less propably in Syria).

its a big number, but can be done in stages like the F16 which it has accumilated a big fleet over time, by anyones standard.  Greece should aim for a robust hi-lo mix. IIRC Its still has some phantoms that can sold or be put into storage.

I doubt if half of the Phantoms and the A-7 can fly. After these planes get retired Greece will have a mix of Mirage 2000s, F-16s and New Fighter. The Mirages all all predicted to be upgraded to 2000-5 level, the F-16 Block 30 will be retired in the mid of the next decade, while the rest will all be upgraded to Block 52+. If that happens, Greece will have a very good mix of modern or relatively modern aircraft.
Now that you mentioned it, some time ago, a country (Jordan I think?) was interested in buying Greece's stored Mirage F1s.

Victory needs none.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>