Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does Ottoman mean?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does Ottoman mean?
    Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 04:57

This isn't the "man" which is european,Osman is an arabic name.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 08:41
what about the name teoman thats a old turkic name right like toumen and teoman are the same or not
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 12:10
rather coincidense. And i am sure teoman or touman is only one word, it dose not include teo and man, but also teoman, one word.
Ave1 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 13:32
Originally posted by xi_tujue

what about the name teoman thats a old turkic name right like toumen and teoman are the same or not

That sounds Mongolian since it means a division of 10,000 troops, if I am not mistaken. 
"Not one American Christian in a hundred realizes that if he lived in Israel, he would be the victim of official discrimination forced...to carry an identification card" - Joseph Sobran
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 14:26
its a old Xiongnu name so hunnic asian huns= turkic but xiongnu included alot of mongols
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 07:58
the name of Osman was Ataman(I read it on a newspaper article) but it was obviously not a "muslim" name.The muslims began to call him Osman later on 
The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Gypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 08:48
i dont know about other arabic speaking countries, but in egypt the ottomans are called Osmaniyin...single of which is Osmani

each word begins with the "3en" letter which is a deep throated sound
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 08:52
Originally posted by Maziar

Sorry, but the word "man" is an indo-europian word, it isn't Altaic, so i doubt that this word exists in Turkish. Osman is only one word and you can't divide it in 2 or more words and build a new concept.

Actually,the addition/suffix "-man" in old Turkic languages meant "-ling" in English 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123