Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Planet of the Arabs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planet of the Arabs
    Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 15:38
Originally posted by Illuminati

the same kinds of movies are made about Americans in Muslim countries. I don't see how anyone can really complain about Hollywood. I laugh everytime Muslims whine about Hollywood. Such hypocrites. America makes movies, and Muslims have their "Death to America" marches. No one has any moral high ground here.

True, except that Americans live in a democratic society with a supposedly 'modern' education system. In theory, this could give them a bit of perspective. Usually, however, it doesnt. You're right. (BTW we can all still complain about it... we western Jews included!)

Originally posted by Illuminati

And, i laugh everytime someone claims hollywood is ran by the Jews. The ignorance of that kind of statement is amazing. The last big Jew movie to come out of Hollywood was "Munich" and it was made by a Jew. It was condemned by Israel as being too anti-Jewish, but yet people still claim hollywood is very pro-Jewish.   If that were true then why was the biggest criticizm of "Munich" by Hollywood, that it was too pro-Israeli????

First of all, i would agree that Hollywood isn't "controlled" by jews in the conspirational sense. Too many egos for there to be any sort of conspiracy... its a ridiculous and immature idea.

That being said, it is simply fact that there are a disproportionate number of Jews in the North American entertainment industry (relative to their proportion of the total population) ... we just have a cultural penchant for the entertainment business, much like greeks seem to have a cultural penchant for the restaurant business...

Finally, just because you are Jewish, doenst mean you are die-hard Likudnik pro-Israel, nor does it mean you hate Arabs or Muslims. I offer myself as an example to anyone who claims otherwise.

"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 15:47
Originally posted by Fizzil

Hey where you from Halevi? I'm just curious so don't take it in the wrong direction

I'm from Canada.
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 17:52

That 'movie was a series of clips taken from various Hollywood movies. That one part where it is dark and those two kids are hiding "watch out, there are Arabs out there" was from the film Exodus.

However, there was 1 very good clip. The part on the airplane where the girl says "you shouldnt affiliate your selves with a group that murdered 6 million Jews." referring to the Palestinian terrorists aligning them selves with neo Nazi groups which was extremely prevalent in the 60s and 70s.

And Hollywood is controlled by Homosexuals, how else do you explain a movie like Brokeack mountain gaining such notoriety when so many other films grossed more money?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 17:54
Good movie. Much fairer represenation of Arabs than the usual mindless mainstream.

But is it the movie with the scene in wuestion, with the Americans shooting from the rooftop into the crowd?
Arrrgh!!"
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 18:02
Originally posted by Cywr

Good movie. Much fairer represenation of Arabs than the usual mindless mainstream.

But is it the movie with the scene in wuestion, with the Americans shooting from the rooftop into the crowd?

No, that's Rules of Engagement, with Samuel L. Jackson.   It was so-so.

Edited by Halevi
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 18:13
Originally posted by Halevi

Originally posted by azimuth

Jewlywood

Funny. I admit that there are a lot of us in hollywood, its true. As i dislike hollywood in general, i find that a bit embarassing. We also win a lot of nobel prizes, though, and have produced a lot of pretty bright academics. There are pros and cons to being a successful minority (ask the Chinese in southeast Asia).

However, i gotta tell you, the average non-Jewish American (or Canadian for that matter) is no keener on Arabs than the average Jew.

At least we Jews have some greater understanding of your culture and beliefs (sadly, largely do to exposure via the conflict in Israel/Palestine) ...

Most Americans think you guys are crazy people who all live in tents, and still cut each others heads off with swords... they have very little understanding of your religion or culture .... (as opposed to Israeli jews for instance, at least half of whom were born in Muslim countries, or are descended from Jews that were).

BTW, i just finished watching season 4 of the American series '24'. Sometimes i can put aside stupid plots and stereotypes for entertainment's sake.

This time, though, i just couldnt take it.

First of all, the 'terrorists' were supposedly Turkish this time. The head-honcho, though, was called 'Habib Marwan'. Nice Turkish name, eh ? ; )

One 'Turkish' terrorist family was played by a Hispanic and two Persians. Their names were inconsistently Turkish and Persian ('Navi' ... [is this even Turkish?], 'Dina' and 'Behrooz')... they spoke English amongst themselves, sometimes with a Persian accent (especially Shohreh Aghdaashloo, the Persian who played the 'Turkish' terrorist-Mom)

At one point, a clueless white American computer programmer stumbles on 'computer code' written in a foreign language that "looks like turkish or arabic or something."

The idiot producers of 24 assumed Turkish is written in Arabic script, and didnt even bother to check.

There's also a scene where the hero (Jack Bauer) stumbles on a 'Turkish terrorist hideout' ... on the wall are scribbles which i imagine are supposed to look like Arabic script. They're not. They're literally just scribbles.

The depth of mainstream North American ignorance is astounding.

That's nothing.In a Hollywood movie i saw,there were some terrorist,i cannot remember origin,probably from Eastern Europe who were talking in Hellenic!
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 23:53

Originally posted by mamikon

It may be true that Holywood makes a lot of stupid films concerning russia-phobia 20  years ago, and arab-phobia however none of these films are respected and none of them is the highest budget film ever made in the US (while Valley of the Wolves is the highest budget film in Turkey, and is regarded by many as the best Turkish movie...)

I think the movie is crap...and just introduces more hatred towards Americans, just like Midnight Express introduced hatred for the Turks

C'mon man Back to the Future was a box office hit.   I liked watching that video when "Doc" and "Marty" are running away from the Libyans.  Was that around the time of the flight Pan-Am disaster? 

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 00:09

How about Syriana?That was a Pro-Arab Film,starring one of Hollywood's biggest Stars,George Clooney!It even sympathizes the Middle Eastern point of view,and it was even Oscar-Worthy!I don't see the point.They're only movies.Sometimes they are political,sometimes emotional,and sometimes entertaining.You can't take that fact away.I'll be making movies for this "Hollywood" you people speak of someday,hopefully.I hope you don't critique my films the wrong way like you are now. They are artistic expression.Go ahead and wave your nationalism around,but they are films,and thats that.Its like saying Da Vinci's "Last Supper" is not an attractive piece of work just because you are not a Christian.I'm no Christian,and I think it is a beautiful work of art.Its expression!Don't take that Artistic freedom away!I'm Pro-Film!Hahaha!

Kingdom of Heaven was also an excellent film.It was almost Anti-Christian and Pro-Muslim in some respects.

Edited by Vamun Tianshu

In Honor
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 00:27
Originally posted by Afghanan

Originally posted by mamikon

It may be true that Holywood makes a lot of stupid films concerning russia-phobia 20  years ago, and arab-phobia however none of these films are respected and none of them is the highest budget film ever made in the US (while Valley of the Wolves is the highest budget film in Turkey, and is regarded by many as the best Turkish movie...)

I think the movie is crap...and just introduces more hatred towards Americans, just like Midnight Express introduced hatred for the Turks

C'mon man Back to the Future was a box office hit.   I liked watching that video when "Doc" and "Marty" are running away from the Libyans.  Was that around the time of the flight Pan-Am disaster? 

the plot of Back to the Future didnt dance around how terrible the Libyans or Arabs are...it is just one scene, many American films make fun various stereotypes...I thought you would come up with a better example than "back to the future"
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 05:06
Originally posted by Vamun Tianshu

How about Syriana?That was a Pro-Arab Film,starring one of Hollywood's biggest Stars,George Clooney!It even sympathizes the Middle Eastern point of view,and it was even Oscar-Worthy!I don't see the point.They're only movies.Sometimes they are political,sometimes emotional,and sometimes entertaining.You can't take that fact away.I'll be making movies for this "Hollywood" you people speak of someday,hopefully.I hope you don't critique my films the wrong way like you are now. They are artistic expression.Go ahead and wave your nationalism around,but they are films,and thats that.Its like saying Da Vinci's "Last Supper" is not an attractive piece of work just because you are not a Christian.I'm no Christian,and I think it is a beautiful work of art.Its expression!Don't take that Artistic freedom away!I'm Pro-Film!Hahaha!

Kingdom of Heaven was also an excellent film.It was almost Anti-Christian and Pro-Muslim in some respects.

I generally agree with you Vamun, but Kingdom of Heaven fricking SUCKED.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 09:53
" I generally agree with you Vamun, but Kingdom of Heaven fricking SUCKED"

Thats kind of an understatement
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 19:28
nah, give them a break, they don't even know where Canada is for God's sake.Canada, their northern neighboors.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 19:30
yes they do, "American stupidity" is also a stupid stereotype
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 17:11
Originally posted by Halevi

Originally posted by Fizzil

Hey where you from Halevi? I'm just curious so don't take it in the wrong direction

I'm from Canada.

Oh, i thought you were from Isreal, i had some discussions with really educated isrealis, and they seem far more pro-arab than europe and america combined

I'm exeggerating a bit i think..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12