Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Planet of the Arabs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planet of the Arabs
    Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 14:09
You know there has been recent uproar over a Turkish movie that has the American actors Billy Zane (from Titanic) and Gary Busey (Predator 2, I'm with Busey) and conservatives are calling the actors traitors for being in it. It's called "Valley of the Wolves - Iraq"

In the movie, it shows the US as oppressors in Iraq, and the Turkish soldiers as heroes, in the classical Turkish sense. Sure it's blatant Pro-Turkish movie and anti-US invasion of Iraq, but hasn't Hollywood done worse as to how it portrays Arabs and Muslims in general?

Watch this quick documentary about Arab stereotypes in Hollywood:

http://www.jsalloum.org/planet3.wmv

Valley of the Wolves will look like a Shirley Temple movie compared to the propaganda Hollywood pushes out.
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 15:16
valley of the wolves compared with hollysh*twood films like midnight express and many various gulf war movies wich stereotyped arabs and vietnameze war movies is near nothing....
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 15:31
Oohh, yeah!  I saw the poster of that movie plastered all over the place in Istanbul.  I liked the guy on the poster 
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 16:11
That's scary.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 16:29
yeh dera manana afghanan ror.  Anyways, I just wanna say that, it was  good choice of music there with slayer. Its been a  long time I heard that song.

Edited by pakhtun_05
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 17:31

was that seen where the americans start killing the crowd of iraqi's from the roof tops from "valley of the wolves iraq"?

anyway, hollywood makes fun of everyone, not just arabs. and all those seens were compiled over 20 or more years of movies, that clip is misleading, there was like 10 movies in total, they were just using scenes out of context and from the same movies.

i admit it is wrong, but that clip is also misleading.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 17:50
Originally posted by prsn41ife

was that seen where the americans start killing the crowd of iraqi's from the roof tops from "valley of the wolves iraq"?

There's a scene like that in the movie "Rules of Engagement". It takes place in Yemen though
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 17:51
No, it's from an American movie. I forget which one...
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 18:01
o ok. thanks.
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 21:56
3 kings?
Arrrgh!!"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 01:26
Hollywood should rename itself to Jewhood
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 02:41
Jollywood?
Arrrgh!!"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 02:46

Jewlywood

Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 06:14
Originally posted by azimuth

Jewlywood

Funny. I admit that there are a lot of us in hollywood, its true. As i dislike hollywood in general, i find that a bit embarassing. We also win a lot of nobel prizes, though, and have produced a lot of pretty bright academics. There are pros and cons to being a successful minority (ask the Chinese in southeast Asia).

However, i gotta tell you, the average non-Jewish American (or Canadian for that matter) is no keener on Arabs than the average Jew.

At least we Jews have some greater understanding of your culture and beliefs (sadly, largely do to exposure via the conflict in Israel/Palestine) ...

Most Americans think you guys are crazy people who all live in tents, and still cut each others heads off with swords... they have very little understanding of your religion or culture .... (as opposed to Israeli jews for instance, at least half of whom were born in Muslim countries, or are descended from Jews that were).

BTW, i just finished watching season 4 of the American series '24'. Sometimes i can put aside stupid plots and stereotypes for entertainment's sake.

This time, though, i just couldnt take it.

First of all, the 'terrorists' were supposedly Turkish this time. The head-honcho, though, was called 'Habib Marwan'. Nice Turkish name, eh ? ; )

One 'Turkish' terrorist family was played by a Hispanic and two Persians. Their names were inconsistently Turkish and Persian ('Navi' ... [is this even Turkish?], 'Dina' and 'Behrooz')... they spoke English amongst themselves, sometimes with a Persian accent (especially Shohreh Aghdaashloo, the Persian who played the 'Turkish' terrorist-Mom)

At one point, a clueless white American computer programmer stumbles on 'computer code' written in a foreign language that "looks like turkish or arabic or something."

The idiot producers of 24 assumed Turkish is written in Arabic script, and didnt even bother to check.

There's also a scene where the hero (Jack Bauer) stumbles on a 'Turkish terrorist hideout' ... on the wall are scribbles which i imagine are supposed to look like Arabic script. They're not. They're literally just scribbles.

The depth of mainstream North American ignorance is astounding.

Edited by Halevi
"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 06:29
Originally posted by Cywr

3 kings?

Good movie. Much fairer represenation of Arabs than the usual mindless mainstream.

'Spy Game' with Brad Pitt and Robert Redford, is another good example.

The best thus far, however, is, in my opinion 'Syriana'.  Awsome, awsome movie. I was very happy that so many North Americans were exposed to it.

Anyone seen it?
"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 10:26

I think it all depends what kind of movie it is. You brought up Syriana which is a Political Thriller, based on a real man from what I heard. So that kind of movie is going to be serious about getting details right.

The others are shoot'em up, kill everything insight and be the hero of the day. American movies used to stereo-type Russians when the Soviets were the big bad guys.

But even with these movies about Muslims, they usually show those who are against the violence and those who are extremist. Like the movie the Seige, which I think they showed a clip in that little video with the women being held at gun point. In the movie one of the main characters is muslim.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 10:47

Hey where you from Halevi? I'm just curious so don't take it in the wrong direction

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 15:01
Originally posted by Halevi

This time, though, i just couldnt take it.

First of all, the 'terrorists' were supposedly Turkish this time. The head-honcho, though, was called 'Habib Marwan'. Nice Turkish name, eh ? ; )
ahahaha, good name Btw you have to watch this; http://rapidshare.de/files/4281999/snl-suspectedterrorists-r obertdeniro.wmv.html

One 'Turkish' terrorist family was played by a Hispanic and two Persians. Their names were inconsistently Turkish and Persian ('Navi' ... [is this even Turkish?], 'Dina' and 'Behrooz')... they spoke English amongst themselves, sometimes with a Persian accent (especially Shohreh Aghdaashloo, the Persian who played the 'Turkish' terrorist-Mom)
after reading this, somewhat i dunno how Oslonor comes into my mind, with his famous blogs about dispiction of persians by azeri's in hollysh*twood

At one point, a clueless white American computer programmer stumbles on 'computer code' written in a foreign language that "looks like turkish or arabic or something."
Many people make this mistake, they think we are arabic speaking, living, writing people, we share only a same religion and have similarties in culture, same for Iran.

The depth of mainstream North American ignorance is astounding.
true.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 15:09
the same kinds of movies are made about Americans in Muslim countries. I don't see how anyone can really complain about Hollywood. I laugh everytime Muslims whine about Hollywood. Such hypocrites. America makes movies, and Muslims have their "Death to America" marches. No one has any moral high ground here.

And, i laugh everytime someone claims hollywood is ran by the Jews. The ignorance of that kind of statement is amazing. The last big Jew movie to come out of Hollywood was "Munich" and it was made by a Jew. It was condemned by Israel as being too anti-Jewish, but yet people still claim hollywood is very pro-Jewish.   If that were true then why was the biggest criticizm of "Munich" by Hollywood, that it was too pro-Israeli????

Edited by Illuminati
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 15:31
It may be true that Holywood makes a lot of stupid films concerning russia-phobia 20  years ago, and arab-phobia however none of these films are respected and none of them is the highest budget film ever made in the US (while Valley of the Wolves is the highest budget film in Turkey, and is regarded by many as the best Turkish movie...)

I think the movie is crap...and just introduces more hatred towards Americans, just like Midnight Express introduced hatred for the Turks

Edited by mamikon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>