Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Iranians (All Iranic Peoples): Past and Present.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Iranians (All Iranic Peoples): Past and Present.
    Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 09:23

Abū Nasr Muhammad ibn al-Farakh al-Fārābi (in Persian: محمد فارابی or Abū Nasr al-Fārābi (in some sorces, known as Muhammad ibn Muhammad ibn Tarkhan ibn Uzalagh al-Farabi), also known in the West as Alpharabius, Al-Farabi, Farabi, and Abunaser (870950 CE) was a Muslim philosopher and scientist and one of the greatest scientists and philosophers of his time.

< ="text/"> //

Biography

There is no consensus or sufficient evidence to decide the matter of al-Farabi's ethnic origins. The existing variations in the basic facts about al-Farabi's origins and pedigree indicate that they were not recorded during his lifetime or soon thereafter by anyone with concrete information, but were rather based on hearsay or guesses.

Some historians claim Farabi was born in the small village of Wasij near Farab (in what is today Otrar, Kazakhstan) of Turkic parents. The older Persian form Parab is given in the historical account Hodud al-'alam for his birthplace. Ibn al-Nadim, among other historians, however states Farabi's origins (in Flgel p.263) to lie in Faryab in Khorasan ("men al-Faryab men ardh Khorasan"). Faryab is also the name of a province in today's Afghanistan. The Dehkhoda Dictionary also calls him Persian ("فارسی المنتسب"), mentioning the fact that his father was a member of the Persian-speaking Samanid court of Central Asia.

But what is known with certainty is that after finishing his early school years in Farab and Bukhara, Farabi arrived in Baghdad to pursue higher studies in 901. He studied under a Christian cleric who abandoned lay interests and engaged in his ecclesiastical duties, and he remained in Baghdad for well over 40 years and acquired mastery over several languages and fields of knowledge.

Contributions

Farabi made notable contributions to the fields of mathematics, philosophy, medicine and even music. As a philosopher and Neo-Platonist he wrote rich commentary on Aristotle's work. He is also credited for categorizing logic into two separate groups, the first one being idea and the second being proof. Farabi wrote books on sociology and a notable book on music titled Kitab al-Musiqa (The Book of Music). He played and invented a varied number of musical instruments and his pure Arabian tone system is still used in Arab music (Touma 1996, p.170). Farabi is also famous for his demonstration of the existence of void in physics.

Farabi had great influence on science and knowledge for several centuries. Unfortunately the book Theology of Aristotle, that he relied upon, eventually turned out to be the work of Plotinus (a neo-Platonic philosopher). Nevertheless, he was regarded as the Second Teacher in philosophy for centuries. His work, aimed at synthesis of philosophy and sufism, paved the way for Ibn Sina's work.

Farabi saw religion as a symbolic rendering of truth, and, like Plato, saw it as the duty of the philosopher to provide guidance to the state. Influenced by the writings of Aristotle, in The Ideas of the Citizens of the Virtuous City and other books, he advanced the view heretical for a Muslim that reason is superior to revelation. He engaged in rationalistic questioning of the authority of the Qur'an and rejected predestination.

Happend for Farabi too, He was IRanian, now he is Muslim aftre Turkish
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 18:03

Abu Jafar Muhammad ibn Jarir at-Tabari (Arabic الطبري, AD 838-AD 923), was an author from Persia. He wrote history, theology, and Qur'anic commentary. He was born in Amol, Tabaristan (south of the Caspian Sea). He studied in Ray (Rages), Baghdad, and in Syria and Egypt. "Tabari" means from Tabaristan. He died in Baghdad in 923.

Cast upon his own resources after his father's death, he was reduced to great poverty until he was appointed tutor to the son of the vizier Tibaidallāh ibn Yaliya. He afterwards journeyed to Egypt, but soon returned to Baghdad, where he remained as a teacher of tradition and law until his death. His life was simple and dignified, and characterized by extreme diligence. He is said to have often refused valuable gifts. A Shafi'ite in law, he claimed the right to criticize all schools, and ended by establishing a school of his own, in which, however, he incurred the violent wrath of the Hanbalites.

His works are not numerous, but two of them are very extensive.

The first of the two large works is Tārikh ur-Rusul wal-Mulūk (The History of the Prophets and Kings, Arabic تاريخ الرسل والملوك, generally known as the Annals. This is a history from the Creation to AD 915, and is renowned for its detail and accuracy concerning Arab and Muslim history. Tabari's work is a major primary source for the Zanj Revolt.

His second great work was the commentary on the Qur'an, Tafsir al-Tabari, which was marked by the same fullness of detail as the Annals. The size of the work and the independence of judgment in it seem to have prevented it from having a large circulation, but scholars such as Baghawi and Suyuti used it largely. It is used for doing Tafsir ibn Kathir.

A third great work was projected by Tabari. This was to be on the traditions of the Companions, etc., of Muhammad. It was not, however, completed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_ibn_Jarir_al-Tabari

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 10:35

khatami:

Bakhtiar:

Bazargan:

Kasravi:

Amir Kabir:

Nadir Shah:

Zoroaster:

Avicenna:

Reza Shah:

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 10:39

Now our soccer players

Karimi

Mahdavikia

Daei

Azizi

there are lots more, come on people, lets post.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 10:41

who can forget about saladin???? the man who saved islam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin

Saladin (1137 or 11381193; Kurdish: Selahadn Eyb; Arabic: Salah ad-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub; ; Salah ad-Din being an honorific that means The Righteousness of the Faith in Arabic) was a 12th century Kurdish Muslim warrior who founded the Ayyubid dynasty of Egypt and Syria. He was also renowned in both the Christian and Muslim worlds for his leadership and military prowess tempered by his chivalry and merciful nature, during his struggle against the Crusaders.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 10:42

Ferdowsi, the savior of the Persian language!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdowsi

Ferdowsi Tousi (ی ی in Persian) (more commonly transliterated Firdausi, Ferdosi or Ferdusi) (9351020) is considered to be one of the greatest Persian poets to have ever lived. Among the national heroes and literary greats of all time, Ferdowsi has a very special place. His life-long endeavour, dedication and personal sacrifices to preserve the national identity, language and heritage of his homeland put him in great hardship during his lifetime, but won him fame and honour for one of the greatest poetic masterpieces of all time.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 16:20

Shirin Ebadi

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 16:39

these guys? you've got to be kidding

"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 16:40
Shirin Ebadi (Persian: شیرین عبادی; born June 21, 1947) is an Iranian lawyer, human rights activist and founder of the Association for Support of Children's Rights in Iran. On December 10, 2003, Ebadi was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, becoming the first Iranian and the first Muslim woman to receive the prize.

In accepting her 2003 Nobel Peace Prize, Shirin Ebadi said:
I am an Iranian. A descendant of Cyrus The Great. The very emperor who proclaimed at the pinnacle of power 2500 years ago that "... he would not reign over the people if they did not wish it." And [he] promised not to force any person to change his religion and faith and guaranteed freedom for all. The Charter of Cyrus The Great is one of the most important documents that should be studied in the history of human rights.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 17:46

Originally posted by ramin

khatami is a reformist. he is trying to change the government from the inside!

bazargan was pro democracy. the mullahs used him to make it look like they were democratic. them when tehy had power, they cast him aside, later i think he was murdered. and shirin ebadi fights for womens rights and democracy.

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 02:43
prancess diana
Anfører
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 10:02

she wasnt iranian....

was she?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 10:37

All of them, definately are great.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 10:39

Sattar Khan and his constitutional revolutionaries in seige of Tabriz fighting the oppressive Russian backed Qajar absolutists.

Edited by Zagros
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 10:40

are you being sarcastic?

anyway, can you give this thread a sticky?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 10:42
no, I am not being sarcastic.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 17:54
Originally posted by Zagros

All of them, definately are great.

Well i ahve a probleme with this people. KHatami wasn't a real reformist, but also a deciever of fools. This is not neccesary to say why i don't like Bazargan, it's very clear. And in Iran people say Ayatollah Shirin Ebadi.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 18:03

Hardly, people in Iran are the fools for voting yes to Islamic republic int eh referendum. These people are trying to work to improve their lives within the narrow confines of the system, without their efforts things in Iran would be a lot worse... WHAT did you expect them to do? End up like Ganji and be forgotten? At least they made a difference.

Why is Ebadi called Ayatollah? Do you know why? And it is not within Iran that she is called so, only by closed minded "exiles" who would sooner back the ridiculous likes of FOOLadvand and Ahura Yazdi.  When I was in Iran people praised Khatami and Ebadi for their efforts.

Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 18:05
Originally posted by prsn41ife

khatami:

Bakhtiar:

Bazargan:

Kasravi:

Amir Kabir:

Nadir Shah:

Zoroaster:

Avicenna:

Reza Shah:

Nadir shah is from Afshar turkoman tribe
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 18:15
i dont get it....whats your point?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>