Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Iranians (All Iranic Peoples): Past and Present.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Iranians (All Iranic Peoples): Past and Present.
    Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 16:04
& most famous Pahlevan of old days:

Pourya-ye Vali

Pahlavan Mohammad Khwarazmi known as Pourya-ye Vali (decease 1322 CE) was an Iranian Sufi and champion. He is famous for his chivalrous behavior and his strength and is still a paradigm for Zurkhaneh athletes. He also wrote a book yclept Kanz ol-Haghayegh (literally the treasure of the truths) in Persian. A couplet from him which is being sung in Zurkhaneh is as below:

Oftadegi amouz agar taleb-e feizi,

Hargez nakhorad aab zamini ke boland ast

Literally;

Learn modesty, if you desire knowledge,

A highland would never be irrigated by river

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pourya-ye_Vali

ostamble();
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 16:12
any relation to the mathmatician khwarizmi?
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 16:29

Edited by Cent
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 18:07
faghat hamshahrish bode

Abū Abd Allāh Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī1 (Arabic: أبو عبد الله محمد بن موسى الخوارزم 10;) was a Muslim mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, geographer and scholar. Few details are known about his life but he was born in Persia around 780, and died around 850

Because of his book on the systematic solution of linear and quadratic equations, al-Kitāb al-mukhtaṣar fī hīsāb al-ğabr wal-muqābala,3 al-Khwarizmi is, together with Diophantus, considered to be the father of algebra.4 The word algebra is derived from al-ğabr,2 one of the two operations used to solve quadratic equations, as described in his book. Algoritmi de numero Indorum, the Latin translation of his other major work, on the Indian numerals, introduced the positional number system and the number zero to the Western world in the 12th century. The words algorism and algorithm stem from Algoritmi, the Latinization of his name.5

Biography

It is not certain where al-Khwarizmi was born. His name indicates he might have came from Khwarizm in the Khorasan province of Persia (now Khiva, Uzbekistan), however the historian al-Tabari gave him the epithet al-Qutrubbulli, indicating he might instead have came from Qutrubbull, a small town near Baghdad. Al-Tabari also gave him the epithet al-Majusi, meaning that al-Khwarizmi was a Zoroastrian. The preface to his Algebra suggests that he was an orthodox Muslim, however.

Al-Khwarizmi accomplished most of his work in the period between 813 and 833. After the Arab conquest of Persia, Baghdad became the centre of scientific studies and trade, and many merchants and scientists, from as far as China and India traveled to this city--as such apparently so did Al-Khwarizmi. He worked in Baghdad as a scholar at the House of Wisdom established by Caliph al-Ma'mūn, where he studied and translated Greek scientific manuscripts.

Contributions

He made major contributions to the fields of algebra, trigonometry, astronomy/astrology, geography and cartography. His systematic and logical approach to solving linear and quadratic equations gave shape to the discipline of algebra, a word that is derived from the name of his 830 book on the subject, al-Kitab al-mukhtasar fi hisab al-jabr wa'l-muqabala (الكتاب المختصر في حساب الجبر والمقابل 77 or: "The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing". The book was first translated into Latin in the twelfth century.

His book On the Calculation with Hindu Numerals written about 825, was principally responsible for the diffusion of the Indian system of numeration in the Middle-East and then Europe. This book also translated into Latin in the twelfth century, as Algoritmi de numero Indorum. From the name of the author, rendered in Latin as algoritmi, originated the term algorithm.

Some of his contributions were based on earlier Persian Astronomy Indian numbers and Greek sources.

Al-Khwarizmi systematized and corrected Ptolemy's data in geography as regards to Africa and the Middle east. Another major book was his Kitab surat al-ard ("The Image of the Earth"; translated as Geography), which presented the coordinates of localities in the known world based, ultimately, on those in the Geography of Ptolemy but with improved values for the length of the Mediterranean Sea and the location of cities in Asia and Africa.

He also assisted in the construction of a world map for the caliph al-Ma'mun and participated in a project to determine the circumference of the Earth, supervising the work of 70 geographers to create the map of the then "known world".6

When his work was copied and transferred to Europe through Latin translations, it had a profound impact on the advancement of basic mathematics in Europe. He also wrote on mechanical devices like the clock, astrolabe, and sundial. His other contributions include tables of trigonometric functions, refinements in the geometric representation of conic sections, and aspects of the calculus of two errors.

al-Kitāb al-mukhtaṣar fī hīsāb al-ğabr wal-muqābala

Main article: al-Kitāb al-mukhtaṣar fī hīsāb al-ğabr wal-muqābala

al-Kitāb al-mukhtaṣar fī hīsāb al-ğabr wal-muqābala (Arabic: كتاب المختصر في حساب الجبر والمقابل 77; The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing) is a mathematical book written approximately 820 AD by the Persian mathematician Al-Khawarizmi.

The book extended the work of Indian mathematician Brahmagupta and Greek mathematician Diophantus on algebraic equations. The book is considered to have defined algebra. The word algebra is derived from the name of one of the basic operations with equations (al-jabr) described in this book. The book was translated in Latin as Liber algebrae et almucabala by Robert of Chester (c. 1145),7 hence "algebra".

The al-jabr operation is subtracting a quantity from one side of the equation and adding it to another. al-muqābala means subtraction of the same quantity from both sides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Khawarazmi

Edited by Land of Aryan
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 19:52

there is a fight going on in wikipedia right now. the Iranians say that they should write Persian, but this one arab guy says that they should just have it say islamic.

but he was persian/tajik.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 00:04

Ahmad Kasravi, historian philosopher and reformer. A prolific writer, Kasravi was very critical of both the shia clergy and of the policies of the central government. He had liberal views on religion and was a strong supporter of democracy.

Dr. Mosadegh, my hero forever

Ali Akbar Khan Davar, the father of modern iranian justical systeme.

Ahmad Ghavam, the saviour of Azerbayjan.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 00:13

poor kasravi, the mullahs killed him!!!

he was azeri, he even wrote books about how azeri's were not origionally turkic but iranic.  i have printed out a copy of his book, its in persian, but my dad translates it for me when ever he reads something in it. 

and i love mossadegh, true hero! one of the greatest men of all time, in the history of the world!

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 00:32

Yes once again muslims made clear that they are totaly intolerant against reformers and liberals who don't agree with islamic superstitiouse absurdities, by killing Ahmad Kasravi.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 00:43
Originally posted by Maziar

Yes once again muslims made clear that they are totaly intolerant against reformers and liberals who don't agree with islamic superstitiouse absurdities, by killing Ahmad Kasravi.

i think its about time these muslims got a dose of reality.

i say killing every radical mullah in iran will would do just that. LOL

but no, i dont advocate violence.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 11:10
Originally posted by myself!!

Abū Abd Allāh Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī1 (Arabic: أبو عبد الله محمد بن موسى الخوارزم 10;) was a Muslim mathematician,

dissapointed with wekipedia,
I said before, First time I posted about Kharazmi here he was Persian,
Next day, he became Turkish
Now He is Muslim.

Yes, He was Muslim, but the problem is that whole the world know Muslim=Arab

@Maziar: you love Mossadegh, did you read " All the Shah's men "??
it's all about Mosadegh & 28 Mordad Coup.
If not, Read it, very interesting
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 12:28

Absolutly ridicolouse. Islam is not a ethnicity, so what is a "muslim mathematician"? They call Omar Khayam a muslim scientist too. Who has read his "Robayiat", will really doubt if he was a muslim.

@Aryan, no i havn't but i will, my father has this book. Thanks.

kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 15:59

Hum Phalavan

Here is one of the many results of me online when i used to run cross country and track in high school and JC.  Im number 54 on the list if you wanna look up some more of my results check my name Kohyar Naderi on the google web search.  Im just joking about being phalavun though. 

http://www.cifstate.org/Cross%20Country/d2boys.htm

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 16:22

i ran cross country for one year, wasnt very good though

merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 17:41
Originally posted by prsn41ife

he was azeri, he even wrote books about how azeri's were not origionally turkic but iranic.  i have printed out a copy of his book, its in persian, but my dad translates it for me when ever he reads something in it. 

and i love mossadegh, true hero! one of the greatest men of all time, in the history of the world!

yea iran farsi agent and azeri is turkic tribe

http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 17:43

lol sure it is, that is why you have no evidence to prove they were originally turkic. they were either iranic or some other ethnicity, definetly not turkic until they were turkified.

kasravi was an azari man, and he even said so!

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 18:05

merced, stop trolling. I won't let this thread be ruined. 

I hope we have an understanding.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 18:23
Arabic Language is in debt to him

Sibawayh (Sibuyeh in Persian, سيبويه Sbawayh in Arabic, سیبویه was a linguist of Persian origin born ca. 760 AD in the town of Bayza (ancient Nesayak) in the Fars province of Iran. He was one of the earliest and greatest grammarians of the Arabic language, and his phonetic description of Arabic is one of the most precise ever made, leading some to compare him with Panini. Since the Arabs didn't encourage non-Arabs to learn their language so that only Arabs can take high positions in the government, he was the first non-Arab to write on Arabic grammar and therefore the first one to explain the Arabic grammar from a non-Arab perspective. He greatly helped to spread the Arabic language in the Middle East.

The name Sibawayh is derived from the Persian words سیب-بو-یه (Sib-bu-yeh) meaning "the one with an apple's scent". Sibawayh died in Shiraz (also in the Fars province of Iran) around 793 AD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibawayh
http://www.iranianshistoryonthisday.com/FARSI.ASP?u=&I1. x=32&I1.y=10&GD=2&GM=1

cyrus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Suspended

Quote cyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 18:24
These two people are also great Iranians:

Ali Javan who invented the Gas Laser.

http://www.farhangsara.com/alijavan.htm

Fariborz Sahba the designer and creator of Lotus Temple in India and many other great structures.

http://www.sahbaarchitect.com/

Edited by cyrus
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 18:32
The father of persian poet

Boie Joie Molian Aiad hami
Iade Iare Mehraban Aiad Hami

Rige Amoi va Doroshti Rah Oo
Zire Paiam Parnian Aiad Hami

Abe Jeihon az Neshate Roie Dost
Khange Ma ra ta Mian Aiad Hami

Ei Bokhara Shad Basho Shad Zi!
Mir, zi To Shademan Aiad Hami

Mir, Mah Ast va Bokhara, Aseman
Mah, Soie Aseman Aiad Hami

Mir, Sarv Asto Bokhara Bostan
Sarv, Soie Bostan Aiad Hami

The Ju-yi Mulian we call to mind,
We long for those dear friends long left behind.
The sands of Oxus, toilsome though they be,
Beneath my feet were soft as silk to me.
Glad at the friend's return, the Oxus deep
Up to our girths in laughing waves shall leap.
Long live Bukhara! Be thou of good cheer!
Joyous towards thee hasteth our Amir!
The moon's the prince, Bukhara is the sky;
O Sky, the Moon shall light thee by and by!
Bukhara is the Mead, the Cyress he;
Receive at last, O Mead, thy Cypress tree!

I Didn't translate, I only found it & it isn't good one

Farid ed-Din Mohammed Abdallah Rudaki, also written as Rudagi, (859-c.941) was a Father of Persian poet, and the first great literary genius of modern Persian language, who composed poems in the "New Persian" Perso-Arabic alphabet script.

He was born in Rudak, a village in Transoxiana, about 870-900. Most of his biographers assert that he was totally blind, but the accurate knowledge of colors shown in his poems makes this very doubtful. He was the court poet to the Samanid ruler Nasr II (914-943) in Bukhara, but he eventually fell out of favour and ended his life in poverty.

At the Samanid court

Early in his life, the fame of his accomplishments reached the ear of the Smanid Nasr II bin Ahmad, the ruler of Khorasan and Transoxiana, who invited the poet to his court. Rudaki became his daily companion, rose to the highest honors and amassed great wealth. In spite of various predecessors, he well deserves the title of father of Persian literature, the Adam or Sultan of poets, since he was the first who impressed upon every form of epic, lyric and didactic poetry its peculiar stamp and its individual character. He is also said to have been the founder of the diwan that is, the typical form of the complete collection of a poets lyrical compositions in a more or less alphabetical order which prevails to the present day among all Persian writers.

Extant publications

Of the 1,300,000 verses attributed to him, there remain only 52 qasidas, ghazals and rubais; of his epic masterpieces we have nothing beyond a few stray lines in native dictionaries. But the most serious loss is that of his translation of Ibn Mokaffa's Arabic version of the old Indian fable book Kalilak and Dimnah (Panchatantra), which he put into Persian verse at the request of his royal patron. Numerous fragments, however, are preserved in the Persian lexicon of Asadi Tusi (ed. P. Horn, Gttingen, 1897). In his qasidas, all devoted to the praise of his sovereign and friend, Rudagi has left us unequalled models of a refined and delicate taste, very different from the often bombastic compositions of later Persian encomiasts. His didactic odes and epigrams express in well-measured lines a sort of Epicurean philosophy of human life and human happiness; more charming still are the purely lyrical pieces in glorification of love and wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudaki

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2006 at 22:55
Originally posted by merced12

Originally posted by prsn41ife

yea iran farsi agent and azeri is turkic tribe

Oh no, you again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>