Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Iranians (All Iranic Peoples): Past and Present.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Ave1 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Iranians (All Iranic Peoples): Past and Present.
    Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 22:46
Let's also not forget the numerous Islamic scholars:

Imam Bukhari - from Bukhara (now in modern day Uzbekistan) compiler of the most comprehensive hadeeth collection in Islam.  Scholars are unanimous that Imam Bukhari's Sahih al-Bukhari is the most authentic collection of hadeeths in the world. 

Imam Muslim an Nishapuri - after Imam Bukhari, Imam Muslim's hadeeth collections is the most authetic.  Imam Muslim was born in Nishapur.

Imam Abu Daud as Sijistani - His Sunan Abu Duad hadeeth collection is read throughout the world.  Clearly one of the most influencial scholars. 

Imam Tirmidhi - born in Tirmiz (town located in the Afghan-Uzbek border) Imam Tirmidhi was a student of Imam Bukhari and also compiled an enormous collection of hadeeth. 

Imam Nisa'i - born in Nisa, Khurasaan, he was another major compiler of hadeeth. 

Imam al-Bayhaqi - born near Nishapur, Imam al-Bayhaqi was one of the greatest scholars of fiqh.

Imam al-Hakim - born in Nishapur, one of the greatest muhadeeth in history, up till even today, one will find many hadeeths with the phrase "deemed authentic by Al-Hakim."

Imam al-Khuzaima - born in Nishapur, he was one of the greatest scholars of Khursan authoring over 140 books.

Imam Tabarani - a great muhadeeth, who lived in Esfahan.

Imam Abu Nu'aim al Esfahani - wrote several commentaries on hadeeth books and is well known muhadeeth.

Imam Abu Hanifa - probably one of the most influencial Muslims in history.  The school of thought that is named after him, is the largest in the world.   Although Imam Abu Hanifa was born in modern day Iraq, his father was from Kabul (modern day Afghanistan).

May Allah have mercy on them all. 

Edited by Ave1 - 17-Jun-2006 at 22:50
Ave1 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 21:17

Ahmad Shah Durrani

Influencial general of Nadir Shah and eventually rose to establish an Afghan dynasty conquering large portions South Asia. 

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:19
BART NAGEL
From the Magazine | Builders & Titans

Omid Kordestani

Meet the Other, Other Google Guy
By DONNY DEUTSCH

Posted Sunday, Apr. 30, 2006
Vignette StoryServer 5.0 Thu May 04 23:29:38 2006 What Apple did for computers in 1984, Google is doing for advertising and business in the 21st century. How cool is a company that mastered Internet search and then drove well past it?

Google, by any measure, defined a new way of looking at so many industries. It personified and refined search. It brought real, tangible metrics to the advertising and search businesses. It continually evolves its product offerings to advertisers and consumersoften identifying the need beforehand. And it has achieved the holy grail by becoming a verb that defines a category, a la Xerox in the 1970s and FedEx in the '90s. What is truly amazing is that all these things are probably just appetizers before the main course.

Behind the scenes in Google's relentless thirst for more is Omid Kordestani, 42, its senior vice president for global sales and business development. He joined the company a year after it was established in 1998 as its "business founder" and helped build the brand into a household name in a way that excites Google's partners and confounds everyone else. Kordestani isn't as well known as Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page or even company CEO Eric Schmidt. But he has been the main brains behind Google's innovative and aggressive push to reach deals with a multitude of partners and make big money through advertising. Kordestani's deal in 1999 to provide search results to Netscape users and a similar partnership with Yahoo! the following year were just the beginning. His successful negotiations with AOL in 2002 yielded a watershed deal in the company's meteoric growth. Today he continues to drive the big ad deals.

In a post-dot-bomb society, you gotta love that Kordestani and the rest of the Google team didn't follow the folly of so many others and succumb to an IPO right away. They focused instead on the brand essence of Google. Of course, bringing the company to profitability in record time and generating more than $6 billion in revenue in 2005 probably didn't hurt either. Maybe that's why when Google finally did go public in late 2004, it blew the doors off everything else, and maybe that's a reason its stocknow at about $420 a sharemay still hit $500. Wow.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Avicenna View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Avicenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 17:35

Good one, IRanian4 life JAN.   This man's message and film should be spread everywhere.

The great martyrs of the Imposed War should never be forgotten.  They are our heroes and GREATEST IRANIANS, we are here today because they defended are country!

Edited by Avicenna

...Let not this body live, if there is no Iran...

Ferdowsi - 11th century AD.

http:
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 15:50

MORTEZA AVINI

This man filmed the Iran Iraq. He was on the front lines all the time and was able to survive. He documented the war. Sadly, at the end of the war, he went back to look at the battle fields one more time, he stepped on a land mine and died. may he rest in peace.

the website and his footage of the war: http://mortezaavini.com/Farsi/

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Mullah Ganstar View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Mullah Ganstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 13:54

Mahyar Monshipour, world boxe champion!

Knight
Knight

Quote Mullah Ganstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 13:42
Knight
Knight

Quote Mullah Ganstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 13:34
Knight
Knight

Quote Mullah Ganstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 13:34

Pacifist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Pacifist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 13:47
Oops, I thought nobody mentioned "Mawlana Jalal-ad-Din Muhammad Rumi" but Iranian41ife did on the first page.

Edited by Pacifist

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 17:23

Ehsan Yarshater

Encyclopedia Iranica starter

has been working on the project for over 30 years! amazing person.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 16:07

Emomali Charipovitch Rakhmonov (Tajik:Эмомалӣ Шарифови 95; Раҳмонов or ایماملی شریفاوچ رحماناو, Russian: Рахмонов Эмомали Шарипови 95;) (born October 5, 1952) has been the President of Tajikistan since 1994 (and the head of state since 1992).

Emomali Rakhmonov

He was born to a peasant family in Dangara, in Koolyab (Kuljab) province. His original power base was as chairman of the collective state farm of his native Dangara, and in 1990 he was elected people's deputy of the Supreme Council of the Tajik SSR. He was confirmed by re-election as chairman of the Supreme Council of an independent Tajikistan in 1992, after the resignation of the pro-Communist Rahman Nabiyev.

On November 6, 1994, Rakhmonov was elected to the newly created post of president of Tajikistan, and he was sworn in on November 16. Following constitutional changes, he was re-elected on November 6, 1999 to a seven-year term, taking 97% of the vote. On June 22, 2003, he won a referendum that would allow him to run for two more consecutive seven-year terms after his present term expires in 2006. The opposition alleges that this amendment was hidden in a way that verged upon electoral fraud.

The executive arm of the government is supplemented by a Security Council and five Advisors.

Rakhmonov survived an assassination attempt in April 1997 in Hujand, as well as two attempted coups in August 1997 and in November 1998. Although he went on hajj to Mecca in June 1997, he was deeply influenced by the Gathas of Zoroaster as a young man. Rakhmonov convinced UNESCO to declare 2002-2003 the third millennium since Zoroaster's birth, and his book, The Tajiks in the Mirror of History, Rakhmonov wrote:

"Many principles of the Zarathushtrian religion have left a deep imprint on the [Tajik] people's mind. The habit has been preserved prohibiting the killing of animals when they are pregnant and the cutting of trees in blossom. Water, earth and fire have to be protected from any impurity. The fumes of some fragrant herbs are still used to keep away sickness and the force of evil.
These and many other examples give evidence that in every Tajik house we may find trace of Zarathushtra's teachings.
Let us hope in the new millennium, the Tajik people will continue to live under the spiritual guidance of Zarathushtra, the prophet of truth and light."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emomali_Rahmonov
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 16:03

Famous Zoroastrians

Main article: List of Zoroastrians

Famous Parsis include the founder of Indian Civil Aviation and legendary industrialist J. R. D. Tata, Phirozeshah Mehta, Dadabhai Naoroji, Bhikaiji Cama, symphonic conductor Zubin Mehta, nuclear scientist Homi J. Bhabha, the similarly-named philosopher Homi K. Bhabha, the first field marshall of India Sam Manekshaw, screenwiter Sooni Taraporevala (of the films Salaam Bombay and Mississippi Masala, both directed by Mira Nair, as well as author of a photography book on the Parsi community entitled Parsis: The Zoroastrians of India: a Photographic Journey), authors Rohinton Mistry, and Bapsi Sidhwa. Indian industrial families Tata family, Godrej family and Wadia family.

The late Freddie Mercury, the frontman of the group Queen, was also a Parsi, and his family gave him a traditional Parsi Zoroastrian funeral after he died on 24 November 1991. Famous Zoroastrians from the more recently arrived Irani community include legendary Bollywood director Ardeshir Irani, the actress Aruna Irani, the cricketer Ronnie Irani, the famous Indian spiritual master Meher Baba and the actress Perizaad Zorabian.

One of the most famous Iranian Zoroastrian is Dr. Farhang Mehr, former deputy prime minister of Iran, Boston University professor emeritus, longtime activist for religious freedom, and subject of the biography "Triumph Over Discrimination" by another Zoroastrian (of Parsi and Haitian descent), Lylah M. Alphonse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism#Famous_Zoroastri ans

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 12:10

Guys don't post/reply to anything not conerned with the topic's subject.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 12:04

But you used plural form, like "past posts".

Why didn't you mention it in that thread? Good memory though. In my defense, you were claiming a masterpiece which is the result of a collaborative work of so many artists from many countries, as Persian. I think someone should say something, as this is a forum.

Either make a history or become a history.
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 19:04
I didn't mean here, it was about Taj Mahal
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 01:34
Originally posted by barbar

I think the problem with some Iranian or Iranic guys here is mixing up the Iranian, Iranic, past and present. 

I just wonder, if the term Iranian is designated to the nationality, then What the Tajik greatmen should have to do something with you?

If Iranic( which is based on language) is considered here, then what the greatmen who spoke other than iranic should have to do with you?

As for the present and past, Soghdians were Iranic, but most of them had become Turkic. There are plenty of examples like this, aren't there?

Please be clear, when you claim something or someone to be part of your culture or history, then continue your logical discussions.

This is my first post in this thread. Is it considered to be trolling and in uncilivised way?  Just send PM to the moderators, I'd be happy to accept warning.

yes it is.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 00:58

I think the problem with some Iranian or Iranic guys here is mixing up the Iranian, Iranic, past and present. 

I just wonder, if the term Iranian is designated to the nationality, then What the Tajik greatmen should have to do something with you?

If Iranic( which is based on language) is considered here, then what the greatmen who spoke other than iranic should have to do with you?

As for the present and past, Soghdians were Iranic, but most of them had become Turkic. There are plenty of examples like this, aren't there?

Please be clear, when you claim something or someone to be part of your culture or history, then continue your logical discussions.

This is my first post in this thread. Is it considered to be trolling and in uncilivised way?  Just send PM to the moderators, I'd be happy to accept warning.

Either make a history or become a history.
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 17:53

Ala'iddin Ata-ul-Mulk Juvayni (1226 - 1283) was a Persian historian who wrote the famous Tarikh-i-Jehan Ghusha (finished in 1259CE).

This account of the Mongol invasions of his homeland Iran, written based on survivor accounts, is one of the main sources on the rapid sweep of Genghis Khan's armies through the nomadic tribes of Tajikstan and the established cities of the Silk Route including Otrar, Bukhara, and Samarkand in 1219, and successive campaigns until Genghis Khan's death in 1227 and beyond.

His writing is sometimes inflated, as when he estimates the strength of the Mongol army at 700,000, against other accounts that put the number between 105,000 and 130,000. His descriptions are often written from a sense of drama: of the fall of Assassin castle Maymun-Diz in November 1256, where he was present at the siege, he desrcibes the effect of trebuchet (catapult) bombardment on the battlements:

The first stones which were discharged from them broke the defenders' trebuchet and many were crushed under it. Fear of the quarrels from the crossbows overcame them so that they were in a complete panic and tried to make shields out of veils [i.e. they did best to defend with very indadequate equipment.] Some who were standing on towers crept in their terror like mice into holes or fled like lizards into the crannies of the rocks.

Juvayni's descriptions are however a very valuable resource for contemporary Mongol history, along with the work of Rashid al-Din, and the Mongol/Chinese version Secret History of the Mongols.

One of his convincing descriptions is that of the Mongol hunt or nerge as an army training exercise for the nomadic Mongols. In a nerge the whole army rounded up all the animals over a large region, in order to obtain dried meat before the onset of winter. In the time of Genghis Khan, the nerge was converted into an exercise in discipline with severe punishments for commanders of tens, hundreds, or thousands, who let animals escape. Once rounded up, the animals were ruthlessly massacred, first by the Khan, then by princes, and finally, only after so commanded, by all the army. This was to form a model for the ruthlessness of Mongol attacks on well-established human settlements.

Much of this record of ruthlessness may however, have been exaggerated, possibly because there was no stigma against killing of resistors in the Mongol ethos. For example, after the fall of Merv in Turkmenistan, the people were rounded up and distributed among the soldiers in tens, hundreds and thousands, and each man in the remaining Mongol army was assigned the execution of "three to four hundred people." However, there is no doubt that this type of savagery was part of the terror spread by the Mongol army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ata_al-Mulk_Juvayni

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 14:58

I don't like trollers, either. But I never try to lable or blame someone on that as I'm not a moderator and it's none of my business.

I did raise my doubt in a civilized way, reread my posts. I just couldn't understand why you took them that way.

Really???

but I recall bad memories about your past posts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>