Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSomething strange about Bollywood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something strange about Bollywood
    Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 23:09

Nasiruddin Shah

Isn't he the former king of Iran? same name... but different features lol

"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 23:15

Far left is the classic jatt punjabi look- as anyone who has seen sikh girls in u.k. or canada will have seen that look.

But conversation getting crazy now.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 01:43

nothing strange really, indians are not black and not white in the majority they are in between with different level of skin colors.

the actors are not all light colored they are of different colors and the make up part makes them lighter.

also its the industry that looking for "cute" people to act, add to all that the darker indians are the ones in the south  and they usually have different industry due to the difference in the language. while the most famouse indian movies industry (bollywood) are the ones in the Hindi language which i think same as Urdu.

----

that movie poster called khamoosh lol that mean "shut up" or something?

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 06:31

Some of the Bollywood {female}stars whose movies I've enjoyed

Kajol

Shilpa Shetty

Rekha

Helen {she is Anglo-Burmese}

Waheeda Rahman

Madhubala

Lalita Pawar

Yana Gupta {like her item songs}...she is Polish or Czech not sure...

Divya Bharti {died too young ...}

Shabana Azmi {is she still a member of Parliament?}.....

Tun Tun

She did a song n a dance in a Bollywood Movie......

Nagma

Sangeeta Bijlani/Ayesha Azhar {she is a Sindhi}

Edited by BaRaneykIchAa
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 22:28
It's just 'colourism' as somebody already mentioned.  Lighter skin is considered more attractive and so those kinds of people get more attention in superficial industries like bollywood.  There are notable exceptions of course, but it's no coincidence that skin bleaching treatments are as popular on the subcontinent as tanning is in say North America.  It's not supposed to be representative of the population...the whole point of bollywood is fantasy.  
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 04:03

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 05:15
Agreed jayeshk.
Firstly it is fashionable to be light skinned.
Secondly Bollywood actors are rich by definition and probably from a higher social bracket. Meaning they aren't from the families who have to go out and tend the fields each day.

To people who have said punjabis tend to be light. It depends on which punjabi and who your comparing too. Some punjabis are as light as Arabs, and others are as dark as Nigerians. Ones ancestors probably watched the other's tend the fields each day. I personally would be more inclined to say punjabis are dark, because the chance of finding a blue eyed, white skinned punjabi are practically zero, but I've seen plenty of blue eyed, white skinned patans. That is only because I'm comparing with other pakis and not with bengalis or tamils.

To anyone who has said 'typical indian' your just being silly there is no such thing as a typical indian.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 16:23
I wonder where this fix for light skins --which is relatively common in several cultures-- comes from
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 18:17
I think it's been said above. It could be answered by power. If you are a farmer and stay out in the sun all day your dark. If your a king or merchant and stay inside or in the shade then your lighter. As the more powerful figures tended to be lighter lighter people became more attractive.

Edited by Anujkhamar
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 12:39

Bollywood... the actors an actresses are absolutely fabulous...

Shah Rukh Khan and Karan Johar

These are my fav two men in bollywood...

Shah Rukh Khan and Karan Johar

Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 10:32

Originally posted by Killabee

I rarely saw any dravidian-looking actor/actress in the Bollywood industry.  Most of the actor/actress are olive to light skin and which makes them more resemble Persian or Arabs. I have a few time in my life run into any light-skin Indian. Most of them are very dark skin as far as I am concerned. I know Indian society  is still running in caste system. But is India holding prejudice against darker skin people?

Please be clear in your approach Killabee.

Below are pics of two Arabs.

I won't post any pics of Persians as I'm not clear about the distinction between Aryan/Persian/Iranian.

So is it a disturbing trend if most Indian actors resemble Arabs?

Edited by Gyadu
Izan zirelako gara...... Izan garelako izango dira....
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 10:43

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I personally would be more inclined to say punjabis are dark, because the chance of finding a blue eyed, white skinned punjabi are practically zero, but I've seen plenty of blue eyed, white skinned patans. That is only because I'm comparing with other pakis and not with bengalis or tamils.

If by Pathans you mean Eastern Afghans and NWFP(Pakistan), they're a mixture of races (mongloid, scythian, aryan etc.) and the blue eyes/white skin genes are probably given to them by the greeks who came along with alexander.  Pathans are a very diverse group of people.  The first four pathans resemble many punjabis for sure.  The punjabi in pakistan is majority muslim and they've mantained their genes because many tend to marry cousins and it is also common for pathans and punjabis to inter marry, something the Eastern punjabi does not do.

If God did not create the horse, he would not have created the Rajput.
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 11:43
Originally posted by Rajput

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I personally would be more inclined to say punjabis are dark, because the chance of finding a blue eyed, white skinned punjabi are practically zero, but I've seen plenty of blue eyed, white skinned patans. That is only because I'm comparing with other pakis and not with bengalis or tamils.

If by Pathans you mean Eastern Afghans and NWFP(Pakistan), they're a mixture of races (mongloid, scythian, aryan etc.) and the blue eyes/white skin genes are probably given to them by the greeks who came along with alexander.  Pathans are a very diverse group of people.  The first four pathans resemble many punjabis for sure.  The punjabi in pakistan is majority muslim and they've mantained their genes because many tend to marry cousins and it is also common for pathans and punjabis to inter marry, something the Eastern punjabi does not do.

Completely clueless. Since when did Punjabis have green and blue eyes? Look at the picture of the first Pathan.

Since when did Punjabis have green eyes?

The coloured eyes didnt come from the Greeks either. Greeks are predominantly brown eyed, and even though Pathans are also predominantly brown eyed (perhaps 30% are non brown eyed), the Greek contribution is minimal as genetics and anybody with any common sense would know. The pictures of the old pathans are naturally going to be darker skinned (happens with age, exposure to the sun), but even then they have non brown eyes from what I can see. Your suggestion that Pathans are mongoloid highlights your lacking - Pathans are not mongoloid in any way, Hazaras are Mongoloid, Pathans can be classed as Scythian and Aryan but definitely not Mongoloid. Best stick to your knowledge of India which also appears incorrect about your knowledge of marriages

In South India, in sharp contrast, marriages are preferred between cousins (especially cross-cousins, that is, the children of a brother and sister) and even between uncles and nieces (especially a man and his elder sister's daughter). The principle involved is that of return--the family that gives a daughter expects one in return, if not now, then in the next generation. The effect of such marriages is to bind people together in relatively small, tight-knit kin groups. A bride moves to her in-laws' home--the home of her grandmother or aunt--and is often comfortable among these familiar faces. Her husband may well be the cousin she has known all her life that she would marry.

http://countrystudies.us/india/86.htm 

This one doesnt look Pathan, but if he is he would be the exception.

Edited by TeldeInduz
Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 12:17

Hi guys.Lets stick to the topic.

Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 22:37

Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2006 at 09:08

Some Punjabi actors in bollywood with hazel, blue and green eyes:

Randhir Kapoor                                                    Raj Kapoor

Kabir Bedi                                                   Aditya Pancholi

Hritik Roshan                                                     Sanjay Dutt

Edited by Rajput

If God did not create the horse, he would not have created the Rajput.
mipsyfaris View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 13:04
My personal favorite actor is Raj Kapoor, or possibly Kishore Kumar. Both are very funny, especially in Kishore's move "Half-Ticket". Most Raj Kapoor movies were more serious, but also very good.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 22:00

http://www.ibnlive.com/article.php?id=4932&section_id=8

""Peshawar: Peshawar the land of Pathans, known for its hospitality has been the home to many Bollywood stars.

From Pritviraj Kapoor to Raj Kapoor to Dilip Kumar, Amjad Khan and current heart throb Shah Rukh Khan, the ancient bazaar of Qissa Khawani has been home to many Bollywood legends.

Now a shop in the busy street this mansion is the birthplace of the first family in Bollywood, the Kapoor family. Raj Kapoor and his father were born here and though now it is hard to find the traces of the past there are those who remember the era gone by.

Another Indian superstar, Shah Rukh Khan, has his legion of fans and followers in Peshawar.

The love and adulation is something that the Khan family has got used to.

After partition Shahrukh's father migrated to India but the families have been in touch since then.""

fardeen khan, feroz khan and many others are not of punjabi ethnicity or origin. ++ Most of the male leading stars in Bollywood have names ending with khan.

Arbaz khan, salman khan, saifali khan, amir khan etc..

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 22:06
I think this is a strange thing to be discussing? It's the same everywhere. Not all Americans are tall, thin, attractive, and have perfect teeth. Not all Bosnians are tall, slender, have huge breasts, and are Meditteranean-toned. Not all Croatians are tall, slender, and blonde. Not all Serbs are tall, slender, and pale. Not all French have psychotic eyes. Not all Italians have sex 10 times a day...

No film industry is an accurate reputation of the citizens of the country its hosted in. Like Brigit Bardot said, "For half a century and continueing today, Hollywoods "All American Girl" is Swedish."
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 15:45
Originally posted by Rajput

Some Punjabi actors in bollywood with hazel, blue and green eyes:

Randhir Kapoor                                                    Raj Kapoor

Kabir Bedi                                                   Aditya Pancholi

Hritik Roshan                                                     Sanjay Dutt

Originally posted by Malizai_

http://www.ibnlive.com/article.php?id=4932&section_id=8

""Peshawar: Peshawar the land of Pathans, known for its hospitality has been the home to many Bollywood stars.

From Pritviraj Kapoor to Raj Kapoor to Dilip Kumar, Amjad Khan and current heart throb Shah Rukh Khan, the ancient bazaar of Qissa Khawani has been home to many Bollywood legends.

Now a shop in the busy street this mansion is the birthplace of the first family in Bollywood, the Kapoor family. Raj Kapoor and his father were born here and though now it is hard to find the traces of the past there are those who remember the era gone by.

Another Indian superstar, Shah Rukh Khan, has his legion of fans and followers in Peshawar.

The love and adulation is something that the Khan family has got used to.

After partition Shahrukh's father migrated to India but the families have been in touch since then.""

fardeen khan, feroz khan and many others are not of punjabi ethnicity or origin. ++ Most of the male leading stars in Bollywood have names ending with khan.

Arbaz khan, salman khan, saifali khan, amir khan etc..

Yep, Raj Kapoor was born in Peshawar, it's most likely he's a Pathan, not Punjabi as Rajput claims. Same with Randir Kapoor, they have their origins in Peshawar. I think they had only hints of green/blue though unlike those pictures, but as for the rest of them, Kabir Bedi and Sanjay Dutt have what looks like brown eyes, but the other two most likely are on fake lenses. I've not met a Punjabi with green or blue eyes or one with their style of eyes, I have come across many Pathans with blue or green eyes though.

Sanjay Dutt's "hazel eyes"

Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>