Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSomething strange about Bollywood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something strange about Bollywood
    Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 19:44
There isn't much of a topic left to discuss.
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 21:53
Originally posted by Dear Sir

[QUOTE=TeldeInduz]

Interesting Tongue.Pics of cricketers in a thread on Moviestars.

Some more cricketers.

Arn't we deviating from the topic?

Miandad is actually a Pakistani of Indian origin. Woolmer is of English origin.
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 22:04
Bob Woolmer is an aussie. (... of anglo-celtic ancestory sure)
Dear Sir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 11:38
and Mudassar Nazar?
AHAM BRAHMASMI
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 22:34
probably..he's from the border with India.
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Dear Sir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 01:02
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

probably..he's from the border with India.

The Kashmir Border?Star
AHAM BRAHMASMI
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 02:19
No. Both Miandad & Mudassar were are from the mohajir community. i think it means refugee, indicating those who crossed the border to Pak in 47. So is Musharraf.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 02:20
No. Both Miandad & Mudassar were are from the mohajir community. i think it means refugee, indicating those who crossed the border to Pak in 47. So is Musharraf. i think they are also called bhaiyyas.
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2006 at 19:26
Has anyone seen the movie "dude, where's the party?"?

I, for one, found it hilarious.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
RajputGirl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 19:32
Actually historically Bollywood has had many Punjabi and then Bengali actors and actresses.  

If you look at the fashion modeling industry and the contestants from the Miss India pageants, you can easily find people from regions that aren't represented in Bollywood.      I probably could give you a model for each region in India.    

Before someone like Maqsad says, "Half-breeds got their looks from their Punjabi side", in response to my earlier comment about how a good number of "Punjabi celebrities" are mixed--Think again.     LOL 

Everybody knows the half-Punjabi Esha Deol resembles her 100% Tamilian mother, but her Tamilian mother is just a lot prettier. ;)   There are several more examples similar to Esha's case, but I will keep quiet.   Embarrassed 

Edited by RajputGirl - 14-Oct-2006 at 19:21
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 22:09
Originally posted by RajputGirl

Before someone like Maqsad says, "Half-breeds got their looks from their Punjabi side", in response to my earlier comment about how a good number of "Punjabi celebrities" are mixed--Think again.     LOL 

Stop making up lies about me.
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 01:02
Originally posted by maqsad: Stop making up lies about me.

I didn't say you actually made that comment, but just in case it did occur in your mind........Tongue

Originally posted by maqsad:   Not to mention pathans

I hate to break this to you, but the "Pathans" of Bollywood are mixed with the genes of Indians South and East of Punjab.   Saif Ali Khan and Soha Ali Khan's mother was a famous Bengali Brahmin (Sharmila Tagore).  Salman Khan's mother is a Marathi Hindu.   Shah Rukh Khan's mother is said to not be a Pathan, but I don't know exactly what she is.    

P.S.  Pardon me for going off-topic, but regarding your past comments about Jatts in another thread that got locked, you do realize that Hindu Jats and Sikh Jatts are basically the same thing?  

Hindu Jats just happen to come from UP, Haryana and Rajasthan. They speak Hindi and practice Hinduism.  Sikh Jatts just happen to speak Punjabi and practice Sikhism, but they all descended from the same tribe.  People even say that Sikh Jatts have roots to Rajasthan.    

If you want to relate Sikh Jatts to Pakistani Punjabis, you might as well relate the Hindu Jats from the Hindi-speaking states to Pakistani Punjabis. 

Edited by RajputGirl - 14-Oct-2006 at 01:37
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 01:13
How many bollywood stars are Maharashtrans or Matathis or whatever? None.

Wrong.    Urmila Matondkar, Sonali Bendre, Tanuja, Madhuri Dixit, Gayatri Joshi, and Aditi Gorivkar, and Shobana Samarth are confirmed full-bred Marathis.  I believe they are specifically Chitpavans (Brahmins of Maharashtra).  

Kajol and her sister Tanisha (Tanuja's daughters) are obviously half-Marathi.   I already previously told you about Salman Khan's mother as well.

TeldeInduz posted: Rajasthan again

If you're that interested, Rajeev Singh is a new Rajasthani Rajput actor in Bollywood.  He's a former ramp model.   The rest of the Rajasthanis work in the fashion industry and not in Bollywood.   

Edited by RajputGirl - 14-Oct-2006 at 19:02
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 13:02

I hate to break this to you, but the "Pathans" of Bollywood are mixed with the genes of Indians South and East of Punjab.   Saif Ali Khan and Soha Ali Khan's mother was a famous Bengali Brahmin (Sharmila Tagore).  Salman Khan's mother is a Marathi Hindu.   Shah Rukh Khan's mother is said to not be a Pathan, but I don't know exactly what she is.    

You don't have to break it to me it is obvious by looking at half of them that thats the case. And this applies to pathans in the NWFP as well. It still doesn't explain why 25% of bollywood actors are pathans or half pathans when the population of pathans in India is less than 1% does it? Where is your  explanation for that?

P.S.  Pardon me for going off-topic, but regarding your past comments about Jatts in another thread that got locked, you do realize that Hindu Jats and Sikh Jatts are basically the same thing?  

I realize that Hindu, muslim and Sikh jatts are "the same thing" originally except for the differences caused by geography and regional mixings. What on earth made you assume I did not realize that?

Hindu Jats just happen to come from UP, Haryana and Rajasthan. They speak Hindi and practice Hinduism.  Sikh Jatts just happen to speak Punjabi and practice Sikhism, but they all descended from the same tribe.  People even say that Sikh Jatts have roots to Rajasthan.   

People say a lot of things, you point being?

If you want to relate Sikh Jatts to Pakistani Punjabis, you might as well relate the Hindu Jats from the Hindi-speaking states to Pakistani Punjabis. 

Ok I can't imagine myself having a problem with that except they might represent a group thats further east geographically but lets assuming I accept that...what was your point again? If any? Which is rare with you....
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 18:41
You don't have to break it to me it is obvious by looking at half of them that thats the case. And this applies to pathans in the NWFP as well. It still doesn't explain why 25% of bollywood actors are pathans or half pathans when the population of pathans in India is less than 1% does it? Where is your  explanation for that?

It doesn't have anything to do with who Bollywood is dominated by.  I was just pointing that the maternal sides of these actors should be acknowledged, if you want these men to represent Pathans as a whole.  

If someone says, "Black women are the best-looking in Hollywood.  Just look at Halle Berry and Alicia Keys".  Wouldn't you stop and say, "Hey buddy. Those ladies are only half-black."  People argue about mixed breeds in Hollywood all the time.   Anybody can do the same thing with half-Pathans.   Get it? 

No offense, but your comment about how there's no Marathis  made me raise an eyebrow about your knowledge of Bollywood.  Madhuri Dixit and Tanuja are practically classic actresses.   To add to the list of Marathis, I forgot to add that Tanuja's Marathi mother was also a former actress. 

Let me help you out on the facts of Bollywood. 

1)

Bollywood is a family-oriented business.    If your parents were former celebrities, you have a higher chance of getting in.   Do you honestly think people like Abhishek Bacchan, Esha Deol, Riya Sen, Saif Ali Khan, and Arbaaz Khan are in the industry based on their talent and ethnicity alone?    No way.  They only got a break, because their relatives are in the industry and have loads of money.    It's common sense that ShahRukh Khan's son has a much higher chance of becoming an actor than some random talented and good-looking boy from a poor Bihari family. 

2) Bollywood isn't the only entertainment industry out there.    I don't know any Pathans in the modeling industry, or in the beauty pageants.   Anybody can come back at you and say how the modeling industry is dominated by South Indian women, or how India's top model (Sheetal Mallar) is also ironically a South Indian.  

3) How do you know that these men are "legit" Pathans?  Just because their last name is Khan?  Lying about your ethnic identity is nothing new in South Asian culture.  Muhajir Khans are notorious for claiming Pathan descent, when they don't even have a drop in them. 

You got to remember that people will pretend that they are half of their step-parent to save the family reputation, lower-caste people will change their last names to avoid any mistreatment, and higher-caste people will adopt lower-caste last names to benefit from AA programs in India.   I can give you examples of Bollywood celebrities that do this, if you would like.   

Bollywood is notorious for producing illegitimate affairs, divorces, remarriages and inter-caste relationships, even though these things go against traditional Indian values.   Ethnicity should be meaningless in Bollywood, because you don't know who's lying, who's telling the truth, who's using a fake stage name, and who has some dramatic story behind their family. 

It's kind of funny how we everyday folk argue about celebrities' ethnicities, when they themselves don't give a damn and don't bother attributing their success to what part of South Asian they're parents come from. 

When's the last time you heard Salman Khan say, "I'm successful and good-looking, because I'm half-Pathan."  LOL  He has other things to worry about.  

Edited by RajputGirl - 14-Oct-2006 at 18:56
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 19:29
I realize that Hindu, muslim and Sikh jatts are "the same thing" originally except for the differences caused by geography and regional mixings

Where do you live?  If you live in Pakistan or abraod, you're not going to be exposed to a sizeable amount of Hindu Jats.  People abroad, including Sikh Jatt second-generationers, don't even know that Hindu Jats exist. 

From what I was told by Jats/Jatts and non-Jats who lived in India, there's not a huge phenotypical difference between Hindu and Sikh Jats.   They seem to generally have the same reputation, regardless of what state they hail from.    Even on Jat/Jatt forums, Jats are Jats.  People could care less about what part of India you hail from and what religion you are. 

Don't you think Sikh Jatts, who have lived amongst Hindu Jats, have more knowledge than you?     

Edited by RajputGirl - 14-Oct-2006 at 19:36
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 00:25

Where do you live?  If you live in Pakistan or abraod, you're not going to be exposed to a sizeable amount of Hindu Jats.  People abroad, including Sikh Jatt second-generationers, don't even know that Hindu Jats exist. 

Sikh Jatts are completely ignorant. They many times think "punjabi" is their religion and they are shocked to learn that there is a province called panjab in pakistan. They are even more shocked to learn that we pakis produced both their language as well as their religion. When they hear that all punj of their aabs are in pakistan they are catatonic. So I think its quite safe to say I know more about Jats and panjab than Indian Sikh Jats do.

From what I was told by Jats/Jatts and non-Jats who lived in India, there's not a huge phenotypical difference between Hindu and Sikh Jats.   They seem to generally have the same reputation, regardless of what state they hail from.    Even on Jat/Jatt forums, Jats are Jats.  People could care less about what part of India you hail from and what religion you are. 

Of course there is not a huge phenotypical difference since Sikh Jatts were created from Hindu Jatts just like Muslim Jatts were created from Hindu jatts before them. The differences are however obvious the further east you go into haryana and himachal pradesh where there is a certain "look" about them that is different from pakistani jatts so I would say you are wrong. And the reason Jatts on forums don't care what part of India they are from is because 95% of them are from panjab or delhi which is right next door. They don't HAVE to care where you hail from because they know jatts only hail from the northwestern parts of the subcontinent.

Don't you think Sikh Jatts, who have lived amongst Hindu Jats, have more knowledge than you?     

Not in every single respect no.
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 02:47
[QUOTE=maqsad] [QUOTE=RajputGirl]

It still doesn't explain why 25% of bollywood actors are pathans or half pathans when the population of pathans in India is less than 1% does it? Where is your  explanation for that?

I dont have much knowledge about Bollywood but one thing I observed that most of these Khans (Muslims) appeared on the Bollywood scene when the films were heavily funded by the underworld .The Gulshan Kumar was killed and attempt on the life of Rakesh Roshan (The father of Hritik Roshan) was made during that period only.

The underworld used to get money from extortions,flesh trade and smuggling. The route to make money through smuggling was blocked by our then finance Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh (presently the Prime Minister of India )by heavily reducing custom duties on Computer chips, Gold and many similar items to such a low level that smuggling was no more left a profitable business for the undurworld.

Extortion route to make money was more or less blocked by the police after the Bombay Bomb Blast when some of these underworld dons were found involved in anti national activities. The names of many Bollywood stars were also linked with them as they have been found hand and gloves with them during their trips to Dubai.

Flesh trade may still be doing well in a different form as we keep reading lot of stories in newpapers and many times involving people from the film industry like expoitaion of the new entrants by promising them good roles in films (That is the reason that most of the good families even today dont want to send their children to make career in that industry). One can imagine the magnitude of this kind of exploitation of female actors and influence in selection of male actors if the film is funded by the underworld themselves. Presently the media in India is very strong and certainly have applied some brakes in this segment also by creating a sense of fear of being exposed.

This would be intresting to know whether this ratio of 25% is still maintained in case of new entrants or it is reduced to a significant level. If it is still maintained, my this observation though correct but could be a coincidence.  

Edited by AP Singh - 16-Oct-2006 at 02:53
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 04:16
AP Singh is pergectly right. Before this & after this we don't see the khans.
Further these khans are by no means pathans. I wonder from where do people get the idea that they are pathans. They are typical indian muslims. It's just fashionable amongst Indian muslims to write khan as their surname.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 04:32

How many bollywood stars are Maharashtrans or Matathis or whatever? None.

Wrong.    Urmila Matondkar, Sonali Bendre, Tanuja, Madhuri Dixit, Gayatri Joshi, and Aditi Gorivkar, and Shobana Samarth are confirmed full-bred Marathis.  I believe they are specifically Chitpavans (Brahmins of Maharashtra). 

Yes, they are all full bred, pure, chittapavan konkanastha bhatt brahamins, unlike the so called hybrid pathans, who are as far fram being as pakistan is from being a middle east country.

Kajol and her sister Tanisha (Tanuja's daughters) are obviously half-Marathi.   I already previously told you about Salman Khan's mother as well.

They are CKPs, a community whose marathi origin is as  proven as the  Delhi ancestry of Musharraf or the UP ancestry of Zia-ul-haq or the sindhi origin of benazir or the bombay origin of zinna or the Up origin of Iqbal etc.......

TeldeInduz posted: Rajasthan again

If you're that interested, Rajeev Singh is a new Rajasthani Rajput actor in Bollywood.  He's a former ramp model.   The rest of the Rajasthanis work in the fashion industry and not in Bollywood.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>