Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deceitful Diplomacy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deceitful Diplomacy
    Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 12:09
Agreed. So, the only questionable issue remaining is the morality of this course of action. Well, on this particular ground, I'd say a honest leader should care not only for his (her) compatriots lives and welfare, but also for every human being. Certainly, in case of need compatriots come first, but, whenever possible, one should try to avoid troubles for foreigners too. I believe this latter course of action is the best for everyone, because it cements ties out of gratitude, whilst the Machiavellian approach is likely to cause rancor and worsen international relations
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 14:37
i believe tactifully, this might be a good idea,
morally i believe that this is horribly wrong
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 12:54
Tactically sure... only if the two countries don't realize what you have done.   Not only those two countries, but also the rest of the world.

There is nothing which can justify this morally.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 19:35
Sure you can, if it saves your people, it's morally justified.
Member of IAEA
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 20:09

Unfortunately, feel about it how you like and say what you like..........

but the reality is that there is not a country in existence today or in the past that did not have this as a very LARGE part of their international agenda.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 14:35
maybe but that doesn't mean it wasn't wrong
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 15:38
Cornellia...  I doubt many of us here are part of the political elite which makes it part of his/her country's international agenda.

I know that if I was, I wouldn't have it there.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 17:32
If I were, I'd be a very devout disciple of Machiavelli, Metternich, Bismarck, and Kissinger.
Member of IAEA
Sikander View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Sikander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 16:52

Of course you are too young and you don't remember that, but I do:

During the 30 Years War, the French did just that: they supported the Germans, the Swedes, the Portuguese and even the Turks, and everybody else, against the Spaniards and the Austrians. When they were all exausted, the Franch attacked and became the masters of Europe for allmost a century.

Like someone told me then, "the French will fight the Austrians untill the last German!"

And if you bother to read "the Art of War" by Sun Tzu, you'll find some rather similar moves sugested by this 2300 years old Master.

Putting enemies against enemis? I would do it without a second thought!

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 20:29
Originally posted by Sikander

Of course you are too young and you don't remember that, but I do:

During the 30 Years War, the French did just that: they supported the Germans, the Swedes, the Portuguese and even the Turks, and everybody else, against the Spaniards and the Austrians. When they were all exausted, the Franch attacked and became the masters of Europe for allmost a century.

Like someone told me then, "the French will fight the Austrians untill the last German!"

And if you bother to read "the Art of War" by Sun Tzu, you'll find some rather similar moves sugested by this 2300 years old Master.

Putting enemies against enemis? I would do it without a second thought!

Bravo!  Another realist.  

An excellent post as well.

Member of IAEA
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 11:07
Britain of course sold arms and equipment to both sides throughout the whole American Civil War. In the early years when the North was struggling it sold more to the North, roughly 50% of all Northern arms in the first year came from Europe and the bulk from Britain. In th later years when the South was sturuggling Britain sold most arms to the South. By adding a few years to the war Britain made a fortune.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 14:23
Exactly, good example.
Member of IAEA
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 16:32
still, morally it is wrong, even if tacticly it is smart
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 18:05

I would disagree, if it saves the lives of my countrymen, then it was right. 

Member of IAEA
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 18:19

Originally posted by Genghis

Exactly, good example.

British Empire wrote the text book on double dealing. The peple they told in WWII  alone that they would get their own country if they help fight the Japs and Nazis could fill...... We'll not fill much really they've mostly been victim of genocide by the people Britain betrayed them to.

For your own country the American Indian Wars stand out, sign a peace treaty stick em on reservation and massacre em while they sleep. But then again Pizzaro and Cortez both outdid the US in this department. For modern politics how about Iran Gate. Buy Cocaine from Iran to sell the American public to buy arms and give to Nicuraguan terrorists, at the same time condemning drug taking and terrorism in public.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 20:44
I think that Iran-Contra was that we would sell weapons to Iran, and use the profits to buy weapons for the Nicaraguan Contras.
Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12