Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deceitful Diplomacy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deceitful Diplomacy
    Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 21:51

I know that during the months before Operation Barbarossa, Stalin "knew" that the British were sending him fabricated intelligence in order to stoke a war between the Nazis and the Soviet Union.

Morally, if you were a leader, would you have a problem doing what Stalin thought the British were doing?  Instigating war between two of your enemies?

As I'm sure anyone who is an observant reader of my posts would know, I wouldn't have a problem.  If two of countries I didn't like were at war, I'd probably do things like give intelligence (satellite photos, signal intercepts, human intelligence, etc.) to whichever side was losing, so that they could come back, and bring the war back to stalemate, and then if they start winning, help the other side.  And you could also make a ton of money by selling both of them weapons.

Rarely do such golden opportunities to have one's enemies destroy each other come along, and I would make the most of them and make sure each was bled white.

When I finally feel they've been sufficiently exhausted, then I'd do something like set up a peace conference and end up looking like a peacemaker instead of a war stoker.  I might even get a Nobel Peace Prize, which would be quite ironic.

Member of IAEA
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 22:34
That is morally wrong, for me.  Do you care nothing about the people in those countries?  Do you care at all about the lives of innocents?  Or do you see countries as entities to which adjectives like evil and enemy can be applied?

That is why the US is the most powerful country in the world right now.  Because(this is just an opinion now) many of the  leaders of the US share Genghis's opinion on this.  And they would find some way to benefit them besides having two enemies massacre each other.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 18:58

Originally posted by Kubrat

That is why the US is the most powerful country in the world right now.  Because(this is just an opinion now) many of the  leaders of the US share Genghis's opinion on this. 

That's what made the British masters of the world, supporting the weakest European powers against the strongest so that none could achieve hegemony and threaten Britain, or assert too much power outside of the Continent. 

Or do you see countries as entities to which adjectives like evil and enemy can be applied?

I would never say entire nations are totally or even mostly evil, but if their interests stand in the way of mine, they are my enemies, but it's nothing personal

Member of IAEA
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 19:23
It's a damn good tactic, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2004 at 13:12
You would be an idiot NOT to do it, it would accomplish the debilitation of two or more enemies in a quicker time than action just against one.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2004 at 13:16
but if the trick's discvoered by that nation, mutual relashionship could drop down drastically ,maybe even leadign to a cold war.
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2004 at 14:06
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 02:23

It's a pretty good tactic.

I think that kind of stuff happened during the Iran-Iraq war. U.S sold weapons to Iraq and the Soviets sold weapons to Iran. Probably bunch of other countries sold weapons to both sides. In the end neither Iraq nor Iran gained anything but lost lots of civilians and soldiers.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 06:31
Originally posted by Stillhawk

It's a pretty good tactic.

[...] In the end neither Iraq nor Iran gained anything but lost lots of civilians and soldiers.

[sarcasm]yeah, that's indeed great[/sarcasm]
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 15:28
Great for anyone who doesn't like Iran or Iraq.
Member of IAEA
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 00:08
Oh come on!

Nothing gives a country the right to cause another to go to war with someone.  Nothing!  The fact that you don't like the country doesn't mean that innocent civilians should die.

From Tolkien:
"Can you give life to people who are dead?  Then do not be so ready to to give death to people who are alive." <- Not the exact wording.

Edited by Kubrat
-William Shakespeare
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 13:12

No, Tolkien said...

"Not all that die should live, and not all that live should die."

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 14:34

Well, looking at the Iran-Iraq case, I would not say that it worked so well: they did not make each other harmless, and the West eventually has/had to face both of them.

Besides, the same (and on a higher extent) can be said of Nazi Germany and Soviet USSR

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 15:04

Originally posted by Serge L

they did not make each other harmless

They did make each other weaker though, and the Iran-Iraq War can be said to have destroyed Iran's dreams of spreading Islamic Revolution, and it certainly kept Saddam from forming an Iraqi empire at Iran's expense.

Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 15:06

Oh come on!

Nothing gives a country the right to cause another to go to war with someone.  Nothing!  The fact that you don't like the country doesn't mean that innocent civilians should die.

If it saves your own citizens from fighting a war against your enemies, and therefore keeps you from having to spend your riches on a war and spill your nation's blood, I think it is sometimes justified.

Member of IAEA
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 18:34

Bah! Hardly.

Hitler was a fool to attack them both (Britian and the USSR). He COULD have destroyed them one at a time using the tactical brilliance of his generals and the simple, yet astoundingly effective, logic of Albert Speer.

He shouldn't have let Stalin take the oil fields in Poland, anyway...

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 19:41
"Not all that die should live, and not all that live should die."

Right, I was thinking of what Gandalf said in The Fellowship of the Ring

Hitler was a motivational genius, but he was no strategist.

If it saves your own citizens from fighting a war against your enemies, and therefore keeps you from having to spend your riches on a war and spill your nation's blood, I think it is sometimes justified.

I don't think so.  Because you can never tell whether the other country would attack you or not.  Take for example the Soviet Union, America, and China.  After the Russo-Chinese split, China might have thought along your lines.  And then there wouldn't be an Earth left as we know it.

The point is, the future is not set.  That is why pre-emptive strikes without concrete proof that the enemy will attack you are in fact, aggressive attacks.

Edited by Kubrat
-William Shakespeare
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 22:42

That is why pre-emptive strikes without concrete proof that the enemy will attack you are in fact, aggressive attacks.

Wouldn't aggression sometimes be justified though?  Nato and others knew Serbia would never attack them, but they went into Bosnia anyway.  Does that make them guilty of waging an aggressive war on Bosnia.

Member of IAEA
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 08:02
Originally posted by Genghis

Originally posted by Serge L

they did not make each other harmless

They did make each other weaker though, and the Iran-Iraq War can be said to have destroyed Iran's dreams of spreading Islamic Revolution, and it certainly kept Saddam from forming an Iraqi empire at Iran's expense.

I concede that, of course. Yet, in the end, it only procrastinated things. The US-lead coalition attacked Iraq twice, and the country is stil the mess we all know.

Iran, on the other side, is close to achieva nuclear weapons.

I'd say that could be a general rule, the "divide et impera" (yes, it's a Roman invention) tactic is usually just good to gain some time.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 10:53

I never said it was a method for destroying your enemies, unless of course they're very weak, but it is great for weakening them and distracting their attention from other things that could be dangerous for you.

Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>