Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy are we learning Chinese?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are we learning Chinese?
    Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 16:58

I heard on the news yesterday that Chinese is being taught in American elementary schools. I dont understand why this is.

Supposedly we as Americans hate that our jobs are going to China. Now we are only serving to better facilitate our corporations going over there. I dont understand this and Im really pissed off about this.

We should learn Spanish or French aside from English, not Chinese. We are trading with a government which is so damn repressive and opressive to its own people. But instead we talk about how great they are. If anything for ideology we should be learning Hindi and smacking India to embrace the open market and not their communistic style hold they have on their industry (which is holding it back). We are making a huge mistake with this.

Edited by Loknar
King Kang of Lemuria View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 17:07
I agree with Spanish, I don't know about French.  Chinese seems to me would be way too difficult for elementary kids, anyway.  But lf you can read and write Chinese, you can communicate with many Asian cultures even if you don't neccesarily speak all of their language.  There could be alot of money in that.
The history is his story, not my story. -Sun Ra of the Arkestra
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 17:11

French because I believe it is one of the best languages in the world but for a more practical one Spanish would siffice (even Polish in some citys).

Its better to teach children new languages early on, they can learn Chinese i have no doubt. But they should b learnign it when we hate thta out jobs go over there. It doesnt make sense. We should stop this and teach them French and Spanish (for more diversity) and even Italian. Just keep it European because its Latin and its where our roots lie.

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 17:23
Originally posted by Loknar

French because I believe it is one of the best languages in the world ...

How do you measure the "goodness" of a language?

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 17:26
Originally posted by King Kang of Lemuria

But lf you can read and write Chinese, you can communicate with many Asian cultures even if you don't neccesarily speak all of their language.  There could be alot of money in that.

Totally agree with that.  My uncle can't speak a spic of Chinese or Japanese, but he does business with them all the time because he's proficient in Chinese characters.

To answer Loknar's question about why the United States is pushing Chinese in its cirriculum:  "It's all about the money baby"
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 17:31
Originally posted by flyingzone

French because I believe it is one of the best languages in the world ...

How do you measure the "goodness" of a language?

It's just a personal opinion of mine. Im learning French now and I find it enjoyable. It's soft spoken and just sounds good to me.

But my personal opinion should influence whether it is taught or not. I just think only western languages should be taught in elementary school (basically Latin and European languages, even Latin it self)

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 17:42

French because I believe it is one of the best languages in the world but for a more practical one Spanish would siffice (even Polish in some citys).

Its better to teach children new languages early on, they can learn Chinese i have no doubt. But they should b learnign it when we hate thta out jobs go over there. It doesnt make sense. We should stop this and teach them French and Spanish (for more diversity) and even Italian. Just keep it European because its Latin and its where our roots lie.

I really don't see what the big deal is having SOME elementary schools (probably just a handful of them) offering rudimentary Chinese language classes to kids. First, it's not like those courses are compulsory. If you don't want to take them, just don't take them. Second, it's not like the Americans are all of a sudden catching this unstoppable fever of foreign-language learning; in fact the Americans are known for their antipathy to learn foreign language.

Third, no offence to you Loknar, you are a native speaker of English, right? And I assume you're college-educated too, right? You should really pay attention to your spelling (it's "cities", not "citys"), grammar (it should be "it's", not "its"), and typo (so many of them that I can't even list them) ... Sometimes you make so many mistakes in your posts that they are not even that intelligible. Maybe you shouldn't even be talking about the teaching of Chinese, French, Spanish or whatnot. How about just sticking to the basic and teaching plain olde goode Englisch to kids???

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 18:06

Hehe, no offense but correcting a guys spelling is not exactly the sign of an intelligent man, it only means he's cocky. Pointing it out and offering criticism as you do is much more preferable and I thank you. I have some dyslexia I think because I type certain letters backwards and I dont notice it. For example sometimes I type "way" wya" for some reason.

I know the contractions, plural possessives (the difference between City's and cities) and plurals. I Do very well in English actually. I dont concentrate as much on it as I do when I am writing a paper. I must have forgoten to run my last post through the spell check as well, something which many of us are reliant upon.

Edited by Loknar
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 18:07

Ni hao ma?

I did Mandarin for four years and let me tell you it is a painful language to learn for those who speak a European first language. I am learning Spanish at the moment and it's ten times easier than Mandarin. Personally, from how I have seen Mandarin taught in high school, the only people it benefits are the children of Chinese speaking families. It is simply too complex for anyone except the most determined of Euro-speaking students.

However, that does not mean it should not be taught. An intensive reform of how the language is taught may be necessary to ensure Euro-speaking students can still study it and come off with a functionable use of the language. China means big business and money in the future, intelligent governments will encourage a sector of their population to learn the language. Spanish being much easier to learn and French being more elegant does not make China any less of an important trading bloc.

Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 18:15

Hehe, no offense but correcting a guys spelling is not exactly the sign of an intelligent man, it only means he's cocky. Pointing it out and offering criticism as you do is much more preferable and I thank you. I have some dyslexia I think because I type certain letters backwards and I dont notice it. For example sometimes I type "way" wya" for some reason.

Sorry Loknar, I didn't know you have dyslexia. I apologize for my insensitivity.

I should know better because I am a speech-language pathologist by profession as well. Really sorry about that.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 18:16

I heard on the news yesterday that Chinese is being taught in American elementary schools. I dont understand why this is.

Supposedly we as Americans hate that our jobs are going to China. Now we are only serving to better facilitate our corporations going over there. I dont understand this and Im really pissed off about this.

We should learn Spanish or French aside from English, not Chinese. We are trading with a government which is so damn repressive and opressive to its own people. But instead we talk about how great they are. If anything for ideology we should be learning Hindi and smacking India to embrace the open market and not their communistic style hold they have on their industry (which is holding it back). We are making a huge mistake with this.

As the Chinese (and maybe some of these kids) would say "know thy enemy"

Member of IAEA
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by flyingzone

Sorry Loknar, I didn't know you have dyslexia. I apologize for my insensitivity.

I should know better because I am a speech-language pathologist by profession as well. Really sorry about that.

Oh nono please dont worry. I actually do not know for sure but its only a suspicion I have. I do tend to make more mistakes with words then most people do when I make posts. I used to mod a game called worldpower and I would never notice my mistakes until the day after I posted an event and I would correct it. I notice though that others do not have the same problem I have with making such mistakes.

Also, I am very bad at typing. I type very fast usually and always mess up because I still need to actually look at the keyboard at times.

Edited by Loknar
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 18:30

Actually, I really do not believe I have dyslexia. I just did some research and there is way more to it than reversed letters. My reading comprehension is in the top 2% (according to my GED transcript) of all US high school and GED graduates. Maybe my typing really sucks.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 20:44
Idealy schools would just provide as much choice as possible and let parents and kids decide, and not have schools dictate what other languages they should learn. Already there is a flexible sylabus in the IB that covers many languages at both A and B level.
Arrrgh!!"
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 21:39
Originally posted by Genghis

You realise the rest of the world learns english
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 22:11

If almost 1/5 of the world speaks the language, it may not be such a bad idea to learn it   I can provide you with free lessons if you want.

Chinese is best learnt in the elementary school, because unlike Latin based languages, it is much harder to learn when you get older.  The language relies on a different system, which is best taught at a young age.  One who speaks English can easily learn Spanish even in an advanced age, because the language structure is similiar.  But one has a difficult time learning Chinese in an advanced age because it utilizes a completely differently linguistic structure - i.e. no alphabets, no instant phonetic recognition from spelling, etc

As a speaker of all three languages above, I can attest to that.  Oh, Chinese is actually a much more elegant language than many believe.  At least ancient Chinese before the May Fourth Movement.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 22:21
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Yes, of course I do.  Americans should learn Chinese though because they'll be our enemy in the future.  The fact that English is the lingua franca of the world at this point doesn't change that.

Member of IAEA
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 22:29

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Yes, of course I do.  Americans should learn Chinese though because they'll be our enemy in the future.  The fact that English is the lingua franca of the world at this point doesn't change that.

Very interesting.  You do seem poised in pinning China as the future scrapegoat for discontented American citizens.  Just like learning Russian 50 years ago.

I am not a big fan of the sudden craze to learn Chinese.  It looks like a temporary fad.  Chinese is one of the top 5 most utilized in the world, but English will remain the langua franca, especially since every Chinese schoolboy and schoolgirl knows a handful of English phrases.

Spanish is still the most important second language in the United States, especially with Latin America in the backyard.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 22:34

Originally posted by poirot

Very interesting.  You do seem poised in pinning China as the future scrapegoat for discontented American citizens.  Just like learning Russian 50 years ago.

If the Chinese become half the threat the USSR was, then we should be learning Chinese.

I plan on trying to learn some once I finish with German.

Member of IAEA
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 22:58

But what if India turns out to be the enemy, they'll be able to communicate in Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil and Marathi and you won't know whats going on

Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>