Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish Professor: Muslims Discovered Ame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish Professor: Muslims Discovered Ame
    Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 23:02
I'm dropping this thread also.

Worldhistory View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

suspended

Quote Worldhistory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 00:35
Many will be dissapointed to know that the first Europeans to discover the Americas were the Portuguese and then the Spanish Conquistadores.

All other stories are fantasies held by lesser envious people.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 13:44
Actually, that's another kind of fantasy, but is minor. After all the Portugueses were the ones that oppened the Age of Discovery, thanks to the work of Henry the Navigator. The circumnavigation of Africa, the trip to India, the Discovery of the Americas and the trip around the world where all achievements done during the "Oceanic Race" between Portugal and Spain. And the sailors were Portugueses, Spaniards and Italians.... Latinos all.

Pinguin
explorer6 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote explorer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 14:43
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by ok ge

Let us say the Africans came to the Americas before, so what is the big deal here? Everything is possible in history,

Africans came to the Americas before? How? Swimming?

You sound like those racists over "Hall of Maat." 

'No, one white people sailed to America. No other evidence but white people. Before that only primitives were able to cross land bridge until white people came.  Did I say it was only white people?'

Voice of the Ancestors
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 15:02
Do you know guys who was Abubakari II of the Mali Empire, in the XIV century? It's a beatiful story that very few people know... search about it Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 10:25
Nomadic asiatic tribes where first to discover america and settle in it. Vikings did'nt discover it , moslems did'nt discover it, spanish conquesters like columbus did'nt discover it. They just made contact with the land, Its wrong to call america a discovery because there where already people there. End of discussion.

Edited by Warlord_peecard - 03-Dec-2006 at 10:27
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 13:31
Originally posted by explorer6

You sound like those racists over "Hall of Maat." 

'No, one white people sailed to America. No other evidence but white people. Before that only primitives were able to cross land bridge until white people came.  Did I say it was only white people?'

Voice of the Ancestors

Had you bothered to read the whole thread you would have seen that pinguin, if guilty of any bias, actually has one praising thr remarkable achievements of the native americans. As for the other ones on this site, and the people who write articles for the Hall of Maat, they don't simply deny the fact that Africans could have gotten to the Americas, but also the various "white people" which have been rumored to do so as well: Egyptians, Phoenicians, Romans, Irish, Welsh, Basques, etc. So drop the whole "you're all racist" stuff. It's not about being racist, it's about being skeptical until sufficient evidence is presented.

Ikki, I did hear the story of the Mali king: he built a fleet to cross the Atlantic ocean, but that fleet was never heard of again. Nice story, but I suspect that the fleet drowned instead of reaching the Americas.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 15:38
Yes of course, there aren't any evidence that these Mali expeditions could land in Amrica (well, somepeople say that native sculptures with negroid feautures in Brazil)

The question is, they triyed and had some possibles. A short account for our friends:
In the XIV century, interested about what could be place on the other side of the Ocean, the King of Mali Abubakari II first sent a fleet of 200 ships. These could take a sea current but a ship fearing the ocean come back home; because they hadn't new news, Abubakari built a new fleet of 2000 ships but this time himself will command the expedition. Before the departure, he say to his brother, the famous Mansa Musa, that if he don't come back in a time MM could take the throne. The expedition went down the Senegal river into the Atlantic... and never ever return.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 08:08
There is also a fantasy about Tupac Yupanqui reaching the Polynesian Islands in a fleet of Balsa Wood rafts like the Kon Tiki of Thor Heyerdhal.

But those are STORIES not history.

Afrocentric mythologies about great explorers of the past are not more than myth, for now at least. There is not a single evidence they reached the Americas. Even if the Mali's expeditions didn't sunk in the XIV century, those events were TOO LATE to influence the development of the Americas. Moreover, North West Africans didn't have any navigation experience at all before the arrival of the Arabs in the XIII century; in fact, not even the sail was invented there. In West Africa only the canoe was known and with canoes one can't cross the Atlantic.

The point is, one should be careful to distinguish stories from history. After all history search facts, or at least it tries to do so.

Omr

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 08:40
Great pinguing, but you are confusing many things.

That Mali landed in Amrica, is Fantasy
That Mali could landed in Amrica, is Hypothesis that can be and should be proved or disaproved
That Mali sent two expeditions to the Ocean, is Fact based on reliable arab sources that take note very few years after the event (Al-Umari)

So i'm happy that you thing about the falsety of the first point, and i agree with your conclusion, but we can discuss without problems, without ghost of africanism or pseudohistory the other two points.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 09:30
Originally posted by Ikki

...That Mali sent two expeditions to the Ocean, is Fact based on reliable arab sources that take note very few years after the event (Al-Umari)...

Well, Mali of those times it was under heavy influence from the Arabs and other peoples of the Islamic world, as we can see in the library of Tombuctu; that still exists. Therefore, if Mali had a navy at those times, certainly they would use Arab nautical technology

Now, nobody denies Mali could have sent two expeditions into the Ocean, the point is where they were sent. Sailors of those times usually followed the coastal lines, so who say they couldn't end in the Mediterranean sea?of in Ethiopia in East Africa? We should not assume authomatically they were sent across the Atlantic.

Actually, I would like to see the sources, because I have found any that describe the mission with precision.

Penguin

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 10:03
Althought all the pages in the net agree about that Al-Umari took the information, very few show original words of the text, and these page are from your greatest friends pinguin, the afrocentrist LOL

One of these say:

An Egyptian scholar, Ibn Fadl Al-Umari, published Masalik ab Absar fi Mamalik al Amsar in Cairo around 1342. In the tenth chapter of this work, there is an account of two large maritime voyages ordered by the predecessor of Mansa Musa, a king who inherited the Malian throne in 1312. This mariner king is not named by Al-Umari, but modern writers identify him as Mansa Abubakari II. According to Al-Umari, this king launched two hundred ships filled with men and a further two hundred ships amply stocked with food, gold and water to last for two years. The ruler sent them with a mission to explore the extremity of the Atlantic Ocean. In time, one ship returned. Its captain told the Malian king of his adventures. "Prince," he said, "we sailed for a long time, up to the moment when we encountered in mid-ocean something like a river with a violent current. My ship was last. The others sailed on, and gradually each of them entered this place, they disappeared and did not come back. We did not know what had happened to them. As for me, I returned to where I was and did not enter the current." The Mansa decided to see for himself. He had two thousand ships prepared, one thousand of which were equipped with provisions. They set sail across the Atlantic with a large party and never returned. Abubakari II left Mansa Musa I in charge of leading the empire.

Should be absolutelly amazing look all the dettails of the account, because here of course the author have posted only what he want (and imply an ocean voyage not coastal)

This aren't matter for the afrocentrist claims: "so, malians discovered Amrica" As you say, there isn't any proof about this, only that some ships traveled out of the Mali empire, anymore.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 11:34

Unfortunately, "When we ruled" is not a very serious source.

http://www.whenweruled.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=5

Actually, the "theory" comes from a guy from Ghana,

All seem to come from this new in BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/1068950.stm

and a book this guy wrote:

Gaoussou Diawara - 'The Saga of Abubakari II

Just another Afrocentric fantasy, I believe.

Penguin

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 11:51
Don call me traitor, because i said you that was your friends Tongue The question is, we was interested about the original source, so now that we know too the chapter the "only" that we must to do is go to Al-Umari and see his book.

The theory have ZERO valour. But ALL, not come from the BBC but is oldest at least since 1920 when Leo Weiner wrote "frica and the Discovery of Amrica"; and of course we have the original arab accout, wich had stimulated the imagination of many persons for many time.

Edited by Ikki - 04-Dec-2006 at 11:53
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2006 at 12:08
Don't get me wrong. I am not calling you traitor at all.

In fact, I believe the importance in the Americas in world history come from these facts:

(1) The Americas contributed with many foods, drugs and inventions the old world hadn't invented or developed at all.

(2) It show scientists how the development of isolated societies works. Theirs developments allow scientists to understand under which circumstancies the tribal people evolve into civilizations and empires.
And what great civilizations were they: Mayans, Incas, Aztecs, Moches, Anazasis, and many more.

(3) Show that inventions can be developed in parallel. As they really happened.

There is also a sentimental link with Ancient Americans. After all, they were the first people of these lands where I and others 800 million people live. It is impossible to forget them living in these lands.

Therefore, I am always upset with the thousands of theories of pre-columbian contact that are based on sand. I wish people really get interested in the past of the Americas, instead. But they are just so few the ones that really care about the civilizations of the Americas.

Penguin

explorer6 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote explorer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 10:40

The theory have ZERO valour. But ALL, not come from the BBC but is oldest at least since 1920 when Leo Weiner wrote "frica and the Discovery of Amrica"; and of course we have the original arab accout, wich had stimulated the imagination of many persons for many time.

Read Ivan van Sertima's writings. Very well-researched stuff.   No one should accept Eurocentric "aryan" fantasies.

Voice of the Ancestors
explorer6 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote explorer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 10:46

Read Ivan van Sertima's writings. Very well-researched stuff.   No one should accept Eurocentric "aryan" fantasies.

Voice of the Ancestors
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 11:35

You are wasting your money reading Van Sertima.

The guy is known worldwide for being one of the most outstanding CHARLATANS of pseudo-historical fantasies ever.

Van Sertima is a mulatto man born in Suriname that grew up seeing the wonderful ancient civilizations of the Americas and he was so envious he decided to write a pseudo-history to still that heritage for his people.

His research is based on sand. Nobody takes him seriously. Read this please, fully. Afterwards we talk:

Robbing Native American Cultures: Van Sertima's Afrocentricity and the Olmecs

Pinguin
explorer6 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote explorer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 20:37
Hall of Maat is a bunch of eurocentric white people writing about mostly the history of non-white people as if they are some kind of protectors. In reality they have created their own fantasy of white people's history.

Calling Van Sertima a "mulatto man" reveals your own racist attitudes.  He's done the research and his books are worth buying ard reading.  All his writings have the references required.

Voice of the Ancestors
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 04:37

Hall of Maat is a bunch of eurocentric white people writing about mostly the history of non-white people as if they are some kind of protectors. In reality they have created their own fantasy of white people's history.

Calling Van Sertima a "mulatto man" reveals your own racist attitudes.  He's done the research and his books are worth buying ard reading.  All his writings have the references required.

Voice of the Ancestors

Have you read the paper? I toll you to read it, please befores continuing with the non-sense.

It is not about the white people-black people soup opera that many want to play. It is about science against superstition and charlatans.

I am a "Mestizo man" LOL (no white) and I have the right to tell you that Van Sertima is a "Mulatto man" motivated by envy. The guy is not Einstein but a pseudoscholar as serious as Charles Berlitz or Van Danniken (both whites LOL).

Africans conquering the Americas? That's false. Period. No racism involved, is just that they never came to the Americas; they lack the technology to do it. And there is no single evidence at all.

Van Sertima is lying.

Omar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>