Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman Power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman Power
    Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 13:33
Originally posted by Temujin

ridiculous.
1. modern Greeks have been salvicied as well to a certain degree, and just because Slavs mixed with the native macedonians, that doesn't mean they can't claim the heritage of the people they mixed with. just look at todays mexico. i also want to ad that everyone occupying a region by a certain name (like macedonia) can call itself after it, irregardless of ethnicity. so show me the proove of a macedonian genozide or otherwise they have all the legitimation they need
2. ancient macedonians and ancient Greeks were NOT the same. just look at egypt, modern arabs mixed with locals and today egypt can call itself like that and claim it's pharaonic legacy. but egypt durig pharaonic times did not include arabs, and natives were not even semitic.

and finally, eat this:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/11/04/greece.macedonia. reut/index.html

It hath been eaten

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 14:32

Originally posted by Christscrusader

ALso, ask a Bulgarian to speak to you. Then ask a native MAcedonian. Notice the similarities?

are you talkign about language similarities? in this case you should try to speak to a moroccan and a Tunisan and tell me if you ntice a difference...

Originally posted by warhead

Its ironic Temujin that you should categorize Modern day Macedonians as the ancient one and not claiming the Byzantine as Romans.

ha, if byzantines were Romans, then who are the Greeks today? italians can claim the Roman legacy, Greeks can claim the byzantine legacy. secondly, egyptians were Romans just because they were part of the Roman and byzantine empires? i don't think so! Greek was also just part of the Roman empire and when the original Rome left the empire, it became a Greek empire.

Originally posted by Kubrat

Temujin, the Roman Empire (and the Byzantium) completely and utterly chased away/enslaved/killed any and all who lived in the region known as Macedonia.  When Kuber (Asparuh's brother)  settled in the Ohrid region, they found only Slavs.

but there was amacednian dynasty rulign the byzantine emprie, so did they wipe out their own people? and why? and can the Bulgarians really tellt he difference between a Slav and a Salvized macedonian? or can yout ell me the difference between a 'native' German and a Germanized Prussian? definately not...

Edited by Temujin
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 15:43
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Christscrusader

ALso, ask a Bulgarian to speak to you. Then ask a native MAcedonian. Notice the similarities?

are you talkign about language similarities? in this case you should try to speak to a moroccan and a Tunisan and tell me if you ntice a difference...

Well we aren't talking about Moroccan and a Tunisan. And if they are close, it shows that they are a similar people with similar customs.

Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 16:50

there's a difference between 'similar' and 'the same'....

I could have as well used morocco and Oman as examples if you didn't got the point...

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 16:59
Ok thats why I said similar. And what was the point out of your quote? That langauge similrities doesn't mean anything?
-Jc
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 17:03
exactly
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 17:12
SO your telling me Spanish, French, Portugese, and Italian All have no similarities? They all had a common begining under Latin Rule. All have similar beginings.
-Jc
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 17:30
but there was amacednian dynasty rulign the byzantine emprie, so did they wipe out their own people? and why? and can the Bulgarians really tellt he difference between a Slav and a Salvized macedonian? or can yout ell me the difference between a 'native' German and a Germanized Prussian? definately not...

Since I didn't know that much about the founder of the Macedonian dynasty, I looked it up on the wiki:

Basil I (known as the Macedonian), Byzantine emperor, was born to a family of Armenian (not Slavonic) descent, settled in Macedonia.

Here, it says that he is Armenian.  Also, it seems to me that they automatically link Macedonian and Slavonic.

But as for your second question, definitely not .

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 17:36

So then that makes his Armenians not Macedonian? If he was slavic then he would be Macedonian.

-Jc
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 17:40
Huh?   Whose Armenians?

Edited by Kubrat
-William Shakespeare
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 17:41
Read postings above.
-Jc
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 17:44
I know, I posted it .  I don't get what you said...
-William Shakespeare
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 17:54

I saying that that makes him Armenian not Macedonian, like i think you said,,

-Jc
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 18:02
That makes him Armenian from the region known as Macedonia...  I wonder where the name Macedonian came from then?

Edit:  I have no common sense .  The name Macedonian came from the region of where he was born?

Edited by Kubrat
-William Shakespeare
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 22:15

ye

-Jc
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 09:58

"ha, if byzantines were Romans, then who are the Greeks today?"

Greeks

"italians can claim the Roman legacy, Greeks can claim the byzantine legacy. "

And Byzantine can also claim Roman legacy as its perfectly suitable to do.

"secondly, egyptians were Romans just because they were part of the Roman and byzantine empires? i don't think so!"

If they think they are Romans then yes.

"Greek was also just part of the Roman empire and when the original Rome left the empire, it became a Greek empire."

No, because they always thought of themselves as Romans, if you say Byzantine is Greek, I can say the modern day Macedonians are Slavs not ancient Macedonians. At least Byzantine was direct hertage of Rome, Modern day Macedonians isn't a direct heritage of Ancient Macedonia!

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 12:20

if so, what is with current day Taiwan? is it China or is the PRC China?

btw, I think of myself as a Mongol, so am I a Mongol now?

and where did those Greeks suddenly came from if they were actually Romans?

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 16:14

"if so, what is with current day Taiwan? is it China or is the PRC China?"

Both.

"btw, I think of myself as a Mongol, so am I a Mongol now? "

If you lived in Mongolia and continued to claim its heritage, yes. Or if you get mongol citizenship and become mongol yes.

"and where did those Greeks suddenly came from if they were actually Romans? "

The Romans.

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 17:39
Byzantine Empire spoke and wrote in Greek. They wore greek clothes in Constantinople. Maybe in the early history it was closer to Rome, but made its own distinct changes, one of which is the Greek Orthodox Religion.
-Jc
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 20:15
Temujin, are there any sources about the ancient Macedonians which claim that they have lived into the Byzantine era?
-William Shakespeare
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>