Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

European Press shows solidarity with threatened Danish cartoonist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 54>
Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: European Press shows solidarity with threatened Danish cartoonist
    Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 09:07
By no means would I ever encourage someone to hold in their thoughts and feelings even under pressure form others. Whether you like me calling people hypocrites or not does not bother me in the least. This is my experienced observation. Why be so defensive if my point of contention did not strike a chord anyways? Who cares if moslems like you or not! That is not the point. The point I have shown is that if you dish it out be ready to recieve and don't pretend to see an angel in the mirror!

Edited by Seko
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 09:07

Ok seriously now, why is the sensitivity and the head-hardening to understand a simple point. We just want consistancy and justice. Fix your taboos or not taboos at all.

Turning the argument to be "I am requested to shut my mouth from criticism" is just a twist to the truth. Go read Daniel Piple publication, Pat Robertson, Rabbi Yosef Ovadia which all are filled with criticism and sometimes poor taste of reality, and no Muslim rioters went in the streets with anger. Why is that?

I hope the point was delivered better this time.

Originally posted by Maziar

Read my post and you will get my point.

No offense, but your post is two lines only and they have been answered  in details. No one at least is raising the point you think you are raising. I wonder why only you, can see it.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 09:28

Originally posted by krios

I read some posts where people asks themelves why they cannot question holocaust. Because it happened thats why!

And you are all so ignorant comparing simple cartoons making fun out of muslims and cartoons making fun out of holocaust. You should all rethink where you stand in life and are your perceptions of world and history right and good !

And that picture published by iranian newspaper with anne frank and hitler in bed saying she should write this to her diary is just discusting. I really dont believe muslims anymore. They are full of sh*t and trying to deny holocaust.

They think holocaust is what west is doing to them ! Well sure west is not killing all muslims transporting them to concentration camps ...all childreen women, old people .... making experiments, cutting teeth to get gold etc....
Think about it what was holocaust and what are some stupid cartoons some stupid danish newspapper published.

Of course you can put the whole holocaust into question. I personally would consider it very bad taste, and it is illegal in some places like - under certain conditions - here in Germany, but in other places - like the US - you can. Actually, we have seen this kind of stuff from the middle east all the time. Of course, you can expect respect for some other country's history just as much as you can expect respect for some other country's prophet, so one can't really blame them too much.

It's somewhat different when such voices come from leading representatives of a country, though. On one hand, they really represent their country on an international stage and should therefore feel a much stronger duty to be careful not to offend, on the other hand it would be stupid not to expect certain intentions when they choose to offend someone - intentions that, say, private newspapers would not necessarily have. Still, I have yet to see any flags, let alone embassies, burn over such issues. I haven't heard about any trade sanctions imposed either.

Anyway, in one regard it's really a good thing Iranian newspapers publish such stuff. They're - only once more, but this time with much more publicity - showing themselves, and there wouldn't be any better way to expose the whole amount of hypocrisy in this affair.

Edited by yan.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 09:30

Originally posted by Seko

By no means would I ever encourage someone to hold in their thoughts and feelings even under pressure form others. Whether you like me calling people hypocrites or not does not bother me in the least. This is my experienced observation. Why be so defensive if my point of contention did not strike a chord anyways? Who cares if moslems like you or not! That is not the point. The point I have shown is that if you dish it out be ready to recieve and don't pretend to see an angel in the mirror!

I am perhaps a bit impulsive,  but not defensive, not really, you feel a bit discomfort i guess? , i only wanted to show you how people feel if they see their cartoons are offending someone. They don't understand why they act so insulted, the internet is full of Mohammad's cartoons, so why they are protesting in that dimension against cartoons, which in my opinion arn't that great? and why are people hypocrites if they deffence their point of view.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 09:41
French satiric magazin that has republished the polemic cartoons, sold over in few hours.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4695292.stm

Charlie Hebdo combines anarchic comic-strip cartoons with serious comment. The latest edition has a double-page spread of drawings satirising political correctness.

All religions are depicted in caricature as the captions ask: how can you live normally if you have to worry about offending everyone from Sikhs to Scientologists, Jews to Jehovah's Witnesses?

The inference is clear: the Muslim world is being overly sensitive.

Most of the paper is devoted to Islam. Referring to one of the original Danish cartoons, all of which are reprinted, it singles out the one where Muhammad has a bomb in his turban.

This is not a comment on Islam, says the editorial, but on the interpretation of Islam and the Prophet by Muslim terrorists. Not to publish the drawings, it says, would be interpreted by religious fanatics as an encouraging victory.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 09:50

Defending ones right is what this boils down to then. Again we tend to agree with this notion. However, by ridiculing another group of people, this only opens doors to defensive manuevering. Like it or not this is a realitistic response to insults. Provocations and insults tend to be taken seriously. Rational response or not. This is also a reality.

One of the biggest virtues, I think, is the ability to self analyse and self critisize. When this is done then their is good room for personal growth. The problem occurs when someone else does that for or at you instead. Then the vicious blame counterblame game erupts. If the critisizm from another comes with good intentions then their is a better chance of understanding differences and there is more room for healthy analysis. Not when done in poor taste or by bad intentions.

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 09:58
Originally posted by Seko

Defending ones right is what this boils down to then. Again we tend to agree with this notion. However, by ridiculing another group of people, this only opens doors to defensive manuevering. Like it or not this is a realitistic response to insults. Provocations and insults tend to be taken seriously. Rational response or not. This is also a reality.

One of the biggest virtues, I think, is the ability to self analyse and self critisize. When this is done then their is good room for personal growth. The problem occurs when someone else does that for or at you instead. Then the vicious blame counterblame game erupts. If the critisizm from another comes with good intentions then their is a better chance of understanding differences and there is more room for healthy analysis. Not when done in poor taste or by bad intentions.

Very wise in fact, and i agree. Don't you think self criticism should be practiced by BOTH sides, also European and Muslims?

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 10:05

Thanks for the comment Maziar!

Yes, self criticism (I think I spelled it wrong before) is a path towards enlightenment. This helps teach ourselves tolerance and breaks down previously held barriers. Of course this method of growth is beneficial for not only Europeans or Muslims but to anyone interested in understanding themselves better.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 10:17
Originally posted by ok ge

Turning the argument to be "I am requested to shut my mouth from criticism" is just a twist to the truth. Go read Daniel Piple publication, Pat Robertson, Rabbi Yosef Ovadia which all are filled with criticism and sometimes poor taste of reality, and no Muslim rioters went in the streets with anger. Why is that?

I don't know: why is that?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 10:33

From other locked thread:

Maju:

80% of Indians are Hinduists, what makes the case comparable.

Irrelevant, beef is eaten there, the prophet muhammad is not slandered in cartoon in muslim countries. 

I think it's a very good example. A better example is for instance, when in certain The Simpson's empysode, Hindu religiosity was caricaturized, with Bart and the other little Simpsons impersonating Ganesha (to the logical escandal of Apu)...

Nobody moved a finger about that. Only Muslims react with trheats to such sort of games... that's beacuse they have no sense of tolerance and no sense of humor, that's because they have states that overprotect Islam and beacuse Islam is a warrior religion... that has dificulties adapting to the modern world.

Are you joking? Seriously.

What about the endless depictions of muslims and middle easterners in hollywood, cartoons, etc etc etc

There also, i believe, not a single finger was lifted.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 11:03
Originally posted by Zagros

From other locked thread:

Maju:

80% of Indians are Hinduists, what makes the case comparable.

Irrelevant, beef is eaten there, the prophet muhammad is not slandered in cartoon in muslim countries. 

I think it's a very good example. A better example is for instance, when in certain The Simpson's empysode, Hindu religiosity was caricaturized, with Bart and the other little Simpsons impersonating Ganesha (to the logical escandal of Apu)...

Nobody moved a finger about that. Only Muslims react with trheats to such sort of games... that's beacuse they have no sense of tolerance and no sense of humor, that's because they have states that overprotect Islam and beacuse Islam is a warrior religion... that has dificulties adapting to the modern world.

Are you joking? Seriously.

What about the endless depictions of muslims and middle easterners in hollywood, cartoons, etc etc etc

There also, i believe, not a single finger was lifted.

But we are talking about a god, which is clearly above a simple prophet.

Actually this reminds me of something that Mila wrote not long ago about the biggest "idolatric" risk for Muslims being Muhammed...

Guess that this case show how much Mushammed is idolatrized in Muslim society...

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 11:35

No one said it is a blow to freedom of speech. It is a blow to the Danish concept of fairness and proved the double-standard of the newspaper and the government of Denmark. I repeat again, Holocaust is a historical taboo there. Can someone explain to me why is it a taboo other than double standard?

Now the newspaper is facing an embarrasement by rejecting a "provoking" christian caricature, but allowing the provoking one of Muhammed.

Did you bother reading the next paragraph? If you read everything that someone has to say, you might just find an answer that your looking for so that person doesn't have to repeat themselves...

Danish concept of fairness and proved the double-standard
In other words, "Freedom of Speech".

Originally posted by Here's what I said, basicly a perfect answer to the above statement and why Denmark cannot be blamed.

And how is that a blow to Denmark? Once again, Denmark didn't draw, or write anything about Muslims, through laws they allow such things. The government probably only knew what was being published the day everyone else in the country opened the newspaper. They probably only found out what was not published when that made the news. So why is Denmark being held responcible, I don't know and I can't figure it out.

You said the Danish concept of fairness. In life, nothing is fair, and Democracy shows it. Someone is always ahead, and someone can say what they want in Democracy. YOU CANNOT regulate FAIRNESS in Democracy, you just can't or you'd be taking away Freedoms like Freedom of Speech.

The Government didn't tell them not to print pictures of Jesus, the government didn't tell them to print pictures of Muhammed. It was "One" newspaper company, privately owned might I add, that printed the pics first. They, privately owned company, made the decision not to print pictures of Jesus. Conclusion: Government had no say, couldn't have any say by laws of Freedom of Speech. There is no such law for Fairness, and these a statement done by one company, or even if it was a government doesn't reflect the people's atitude so why make them suffer?

I don't agree with what the newspaper said, I think they were complete idiots for doing that, but I also don't agree with the boycotting of a countries products because of what one private company said that only represents their own opinions.

EDIT: And about the Holocaust, I'm not European and don't know many of their laws. But I think it has to do with Thousands of lives being lost by poison gases, being burned in furnaces, being subject to slave labor, and more then one group being persecuted for what they were. Cartoons of depicted one group of people may not be fair, but know one has died from the people who printed them. Seems only the protestors are killing themselves...

Edited by SearchAndDestroy
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 14:51

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Did you bother reading the next paragraph? If you read everything that someone has to say, you might just find an answer that your looking for so that person doesn't have to repeat themselves....

Ironically Search&Destroy, you have requested me to read your second paragraph but neglected my second paragraph from the same post you just quoted from and pasted above. Armenian Survival has asked that question already and I have answered him according to the perception currently undergoing where I live. Here is it, I quote myself again:

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

. It goes back to my first point: you can't blame a country for the actions of a few. That's just my opinion; they can do whatever they want in their countries.

I dont' agree that they do whatever they want in their country. If provoking against the Muslim minority is what they want, then everybody should stand against that.

According to your logic, Lebanese had the right to blow the Danish embassy, they do whatever they want in their country! Of course not, not as they want.

Now regarding why all of Denmark, you have to understand three issues that are interwinding:

1- the newspaper publication and double-standard

2- the government support of the newspaper while protecting the Holocaust laws that prohibit even the questioning.

3- polls showed that most Danish supported the newspaper stand (no it has changed of course and a new poll is expected to reflect that in the coming days)

Therefore, boycotting is the most effective punishable way. At least, I really don't feel participating in the well-fare of the Danish anymore

Check the post again since it answered other questions that I sense will be placed here in an uneeded redundancy.

No in other word concept of fairness. You can say fairness in excercising freedom of speech, not freedom of speech. No one is criticizing freedom of speech per se.

If Christian can stereotype a whole religion and its people, can't Muslim question the Holocaust in Denmark without prosecution? Or the Government of Denmark thinks freedom of speech has limits on some issues, but not on others.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 14:57
Originally posted by Maju

Because it is not about "Muslims being insulted" as it is protrayed by the sides here. Otherwise, they would have retaliated for all criticizing articles and insulting comments on the prophet and the islam and the calls for extermination of Muslims in the west.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 15:35

Because it is not about "Muslims being insulted" as it is protrayed by the sides here. Otherwise, they would have retaliated for all criticizing articles and insulting comments on the prophet and the islam and the calls for extermination of Muslims in the west.

Then what is it about? I still don't know...

Why don't you just give a direct affirmative answer instead of making rethoric questions and negative replies that are no reply to my simple question? Is that also a Muslim custom? Not to go to the grain and instead to move around the object of the discussion without adressing it at all? Or is it just something aprticular of ok Ge?

Here such attitude would earn you the nick of "Gallego", as it's said (and is probably true) that if you meet a Galician at the stairs, you will not find out if he's going up or downstairs.

So, why did Muslims react to this particular case of Danish free expression adn not to other seemingly more insulting cases that have happened before? Can you give a direct reply?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 16:28

Did you bother reading the next paragraph? If you read everything that someone has to say, you might just find an answer that your looking for so that person doesn't have to repeat themselves....

Ironically Search&Destroy, you have requested me to read your second paragraph but neglected my second paragraph from the same post you just quoted from and pasted above. Armenian Survival has asked that question already and I have answered him according to the perception currently undergoing where I live. Here is it, I quote myself again:

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

. It goes back to my first point: you can't blame a country for the actions of a few. That's just my opinion; they can do whatever they want in their countries.

I dont' agree that they do whatever they want in their country. If provoking against the Muslim minority is what they want, then everybody should stand against that.

According to your logic, Lebanese had the right to blow the Danish embassy, they do whatever they want in their country! Of course not, not as they want.

Now regarding why all of Denmark, you have to understand three issues that are interwinding:

2- the government support of the newspaper while protecting the Holocaust laws that prohibit even the questioning.

3- polls showed that most Danish supported the newspaper stand (no it has changed of course and a new poll is expected to reflect that in the coming days)

Therefore, boycotting is the most effective punishable way. At least, I really don't feel participating in the well-fare of the Danish anymore

Check the post again since it answered other questions that I sense will be placed here in an uneeded redundancy.

No in other word concept of fairness. You can say fairness in excercising freedom of speech, not freedom of speech. No one is criticizing freedom of speech per se.

If Christian can stereotype a whole religion and its people, can't Muslim question the Holocaust in Denmark without prosecution? Or the Government of Denmark thinks freedom of speech has limits on some issues, but not on others.

Your right I didn't. I apologize for that. The reason I did that is just to respond to the discussion between me and you and didn't go on further because your weren't answering me.

Your right, the newspaper is double standard, but it was their choice and it was the freedom that allowed it. 

Like I said above, it was not only the Jews who were executed during the Holocaust. Also Slavs, Poles, Russian Prisoners, Communist, Jehovah Witnesses, physically disabled, homosexuals, and Gypsies were all killed during the Holocaust. Now you tell me, when thousands of people were murdered because they were deemed inferior, why should we criticise it? Thats like saying 9/11 was all fake, no one died and the towers never existed... If anything it's for the respect of the dead, it doesn't matter what their damn backround was, they were people!

Key word there is most. They may have supported it for numerous reasons, you can't say they all thought the same. And going on with the word most, their are still thousands who don't support it. So we should boycott them and take their jobs away? I think you should protest it, maybe even bring the newspaper to court for slander, but don't boycott, your harming people financially who need to support their family, what happened to muslims is their pride was hurt, and well because of violent protests even lives were lost which is a shame...

I still don't understand why anyone would want to criticize the Holocaust, it wasn't just Jews, and it was a slaughter of a quater of the European population. Why would you want disrespect that many deaths. Everyone here's Holocaust and thinks it was just Jews, but they were Europeans too, it's not about Religion when Europeans want to respect the dead...

Edited by SearchAndDestroy
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 17:05

Bengo! and what has been said earlier too 4 pages earlier. These caricatures fuel anti-Muslim sentiments. When you publish a caricature of the Christ, you are not going to fuel anti-Christian sentiment of course in Europe! But you will do so with the case of Muslims. And as I have said it three times already, in Septemeber, the caricature appeared and has been circulated around since in Europe. By November, a mosque was bombed in Vienna and increased attacks were recorded by many European organizations.

Don't they poke fun at Jews in many Arab countries? Does that not provoke anti-Jewish sentiments? And you can't say that Jews are not occasional targets of mockery in the Arab world, my parents are from the Middle East so I know this very well.

Therefore, boycotting is the most effective punishable way. At least, I really don't feel participating in the well-fare of the Danish anymore.

When I said "they can do whatever they want in their countries", I meant that if they want to pass a boycott of Danish goods, its their right to do so. I didn't mean it in the sense that there should be mob rule such as burning embassies down for cartoons or other acts that are easily classified as "barbaric" by most peoples' standards.

Does Denmark sponsor or even back the publishers? Just because they don't punish them doesn't mean they support them. As far as I know (I could be wrong) their "support" only goes as far as guaranteeing the publishers to say whatever they want, i.e., freedom of speech. You can't take that right away from anyone no matter how people react. Again, if they didn't include a Jesus caricature, get mad at the publisher, not the entire country.

Well, from what I know the mob in Lebanon didn't include any ethnic Lebanese. It was mostly Syrians and Palestinians. So its not even their country, technically. But even if they were Lebanese, I never justified the actions of the mobs (calling them "protesters" isn't correct, because once they resort to violence, they become a mob). I was simply defending the Arabs' right to boycott, no matter how premature I personally seem to find it.

Do you see me boycotting Turkish goods? Some of the ingredients in my dinners are made in Turkey. The only difference is I actually have a pretext to boycott because my problem is with Turkey's government, rather than 1 Turk or 1 Turkish organization. But I still do no boycott. In fact, most Armenian grocery stores carry numerous products from Turkey. And I think my accusations against Turkey's government are far worse than any cartoon, and you don't see me doing any boycotting. But again, its their right to boycott, I just think its a bit premature.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 19:05
I wish I had the time to read all the posts here but this thread has a life of it own!!

It looks like European newspapers are not the only guilty parties.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L08586197.htm
Second Yemen paper shut for printing Islam cartoons
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-momand9 feb09,0,2686213.story
What would Muhammad do?
# History suggests the prophet was more pragmatic than followers rioting in his name.

By Jamil Momand, JAMIL MOMAND is a professor of biochemistry at Cal State Los Angeles.(He is a Muslim)

Could events like this raise up another Hitler in Europe?

100,000 Muslims to vent anger in London at cartoon protest

Tiny Minority of Extremists Update: Free Muslims got less than 50 for their anti-terror rally. From the Telegraph, with thanks to Erick Stakelbeck:

A mass demonstration of 100,000 Muslims will take place in London next weekend as anger continues over publication of cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed.

The Muslim Action Committee, an umbrella group which claims to represent more than a million Muslims, said it would do as much as it could to prevent the ugly scenes seen last week when protesters carried placards issuing death threats and one man dressed as a suicide bomber.

But they said they needed to "channel" growing anger felt by communities across Britain that Muslims were being persecuted and made to feel like "second class citizens".

Faiz Saddiqi, the committee convener, said: "It is a peaceful protest. We will not let it be hijacked by the fringe elements.

"It is a way of showing the depth of anger that Muslim communities feel about being continually insulted by the publication of these images."

The march, on Feb 18, will go from Trafalgar Square to Hyde Park. Mr Saddiqi said that only banners and placards issued by the committee would be allowed.

Edited by eaglecap
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 22:39

Originally posted by TeldeIndus

Also, someone put up on another thread about some silly analogy of Hindus and beef, but this isnt the same thing since Hinduism is very broad, and there is no consensus on the cow, whether it's edible or not. Some Hindus eat it, some do not. Ancient scripts suggest that it's edible, and Hinduism has a dharmaric and adharmaric concept. But this ambiguous religious symbol does not stop people from acting violently or protesting.

I posted that a better example is that the Simpsons made a fake Ganesha to take part in one of their episodes.

I have yet to hear of a single protest.

Shiva and other Hindu iconography as commonly been used (and sometimes abused) by westerners withiout causing any unrest.

There's also thousands of pictures of Muslim Prophets on the internet, in books, that are being used - and sometimes abused. Here is one example.

Mohammed as portrayed by a Westerner.

In this Islamic portrait, Mohammed rides a mythical steed into the seventh heaven. His face is veiled, in keeping with the Moslem tradition of never portraying his features. Moslems believe that there are seven stages to heaven.

These are all from "Das Leben und die Lehre des Mohammed", a German publication, from years and years ago.

I have not heard of many protests regarding this critique by a Westerner over the leader of the Muslim faith, and I dont believe that is why people are protesting the cartoons - the cartoons portrayal of him as a terrorist and therefore of the people following the religion as a terrorist is what causes the offence, and why most people object - Westerners have characatured Muslims for ages, it's just now it's more about looking to provoke.

The Ganesh example you gave in the Simpson's was protested by Hindus in Southern California in the mid 1990's - Federation of Hindu Associations president Prithvi Raj Singh launched a formal complaint and the Hindus of Southern California protested,  FOX, explained it wasnt an attack on Hinduism and the matter was dropped - the cartoons have been repeated over a period of 4 months using depictions of bombs in turbans, yet for the most part, I just see the same protestation from Muslims seeking a satisfactory answer - it's already been stated that the paper refused to make fun of Christianity for fear of causing offence - Your next question is why dont the Simpson's mock Islam and the answer is in "The Gospel according to the Simpsons", that they only mock groups that are represented amongst their staff - Christians, Jews, Hindus. Even so, the Simpsons have made fun of Muslims in the past - the reason it's not highlighted is because noone protested much. You'll need to continue this discussion with a fellow Simpson's fan because I dont know much about it. 

Edited by TeldeIndus
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2006 at 00:33

Then what is it about? I still don't know...

Why don't you just give a direct affirmative answer instead of making rethoric questions and negative replies that are no reply to my simple question? Is that also a Muslim custom? Not to go to the grain and instead to move around the object of the discussion without adressing it at all? Or is it just something aprticular of ok Ge?

Here such attitude would earn you the nick of "Gallego", as it's said (and is probably true) that if you meet a Galician at the stairs, you will not find out if he's going up or downstairs.

So, why did Muslims react to this particular case of Danish free expression adn not to other seemingly more insulting cases that have happened before? Can you give a direct reply?

are you slow or what?

why you keep asking the same question again and agian? now wite it down or put it as a memo in your desktop. ok

it wasn't the cartoons its the Danish governmnet's position from the cartoons.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 54>