Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old finnish culture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old finnish culture
    Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 18:49
I am searching for old finnish culture and their origins(like what kind of clothes they wore,where did they come from etc) can you help me out with detailed information ?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 21:57
Check AE article Viking Age Finland

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 07:41

Originally posted by Maju

i don't know if it says anything about it in the article-but i'm interested how is it that finns resemble the germanics so much (flemings of belgium, i think) if they r uralic people?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 08:06
What you ask, Socrates is about genetics. It would seem that Finnish and Baltic peoples have a very strong male ascendance from that "Uralic" branch but overall they are only slightly different from their neighbours. Women assimilated the newcomers along centuries and milennia.

You see the y-chr cake of Finland, for isntance and it may be 60-70% Finno-Ugric but when it comes to overall genetics they are much like Russians or Nordics. The only group that keeps that overall strong Uralic makeup in Europe are Lapps, who are the less Caucasoid of all Caucasoid branches.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 08:12
Ok.Got it.
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 08:30

AFAIK lapps are mongoloid...Arent they?

And do finns have connections with lapps(at origin)

BTW,As I heard the finns came from siberia.Is this smth proven or just a theory?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 09:33
Originally posted by Attila2

Cavalli-Sforza places them in the Caucasoid branch. But they have a very long separated sub-branch for themselves, showing the admixture.

Yes. Their languages are clearly related (thouh not as closesly as Estonian and Finn, which are almost the same) and their genetics show the same "finnish" markers in different proportions. But it seems that lapps kept better their purity, for whatever reason, probably due to their nomadic lifestyle.

BTW,As I heard the finns came from siberia.Is this smth proven or just a theory?

Theory. Uralic peoples seem to come from somwhere around the Urals but it's not totally clear from where exactly - as far as I know. Archaeology seems to show their movements westward in parallel with IEs.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 11:20

Originally posted by Maju

i don't know if it says anything about it in the article-but i'm interested how is it that finns resemble the germanics so much (flemings of belgium, i think) if they r uralic people?

Why do brits eat Rise and Curry from India when they are a germanic people? Why do japanese businessmen wear european ties when they are Asians?

No the Smi (real name for "lapps") are "white"/caucasians. People use to think that Smi are mongoloid due to the asiatic-like features that are common among them. I have partly smi origin and have thus inherrited small slant eyes, high protruding cheekbones and a short, stocky stature. That's due to climatic adaptions howewer, not to an alledged asiatic origin.  As Maju wrote the Smi and the Finns share related languages and some common genes

The Finns don't come from anywhere, they became Finns in Finland. Their physical ancestors howewer came from many places, mostly the Baltics

Edited by Mangudai
Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 15:30

how can someone be caucasoid if he has slanted eyes and high cheekbones?

I mean yes your skin color can be white...but it doesnt mean you are caucasian

for example in old turkish drawings most of the Turks were drawn with snow-white skin but they still had slanted eyes.They were OBVIOUSLY not caucasian,coz they were extremely new to mid-east/anatolia at that time...

Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 18:52

Pale, pink skin, blue eyes, blonde hair, straight noses... Well what's more to prove. Even if some finno-ugrian people use to look slighlty asiatic with slant eyes they still miss the epicathic fold that asians have.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 21:50

for example in old turkish drawings most of the Turks were drawn with snow-white skin but they still had slanted eyes.They were OBVIOUSLY not caucasian,coz they were extremely new to mid-east/anatolia at that time...

There are hybrids, aren't they?

Genetic studies by Cavalli-Sforza clearly place Lapps in the "Caucasoid" branch but in an obviously very mixed position. Dravidians are also in that branch - genetics and phenetics aren't always coincident: pygmentation is only a minor trait.

Here you have the 1996 Cavalli-Sfroza tree (with my retouchings): 

Magenta branch would be what we usually call Caucasoid. Mongoloid are actually two different branches: Northern (cyan) and Southern (green).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 08:07

Where can i get some data about balcan genetics-reliable data?

Sorry, i know it's off-topic

Edited by Socrates
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 14:14
Finns and estonians are mongoloid race.I think they come from somewhere between Ural and Altaic mountains.But this is clear the estonian vikings were not popular in surounded lands,heh 
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 23:44
Originally posted by Tanel

Finns and estonians are mongoloid race.I think they come from somewhere between Ural and Altaic mountains.But this is clear the estonian vikings were not popular in surounded lands,heh 

Say what?

They are not Mongoloid... maybe their forefathers were at some point but they got so strongly mixed that they are not anymore.

Estonian soldier

Estonian women

Nobody looks Mongoloid in Estonia

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 05:23

Originally posted by Tanel

Please show me one native Finn or Estonian who can be classed as mongoloid/asian

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 05:40
I have the basic knowledge from the school history books and it goes something like this: Estonian forefathers came here 4000. BC. They were Asian looking and are regarded as straight forefathers of todays Estonians, Finns, Livonians, Karelians, Vepsians, Isurs and Vadians. Then around 2200. BC the the next migrants came here who were very European looking, and were Indo-Europeans. This has been proven by a reconstructed skull found at a burial site, so they were certainly from the Europidian class or group of people. Up to the middle of the 2nd millenia BC the two tribes integrated into todays Estonians who are European looking.
So i think that Estonians aren't Asian or European descent, they are a mix of both, and that probably goes for the Finns aswell.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 03:38

I am searching for old finnish culture and their origins(like what kind of clothes they wore,where did they come from etc) can you help me out with detailed information ?

Here's a link about Kalevala - finnish national eppics:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/index.htm 

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/kveng/kvintro.htm (a very nice text about finns ).

Edited by Socrates
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 17:47

Finns/Sami are caucasian but they look more asiatic than other europeans becous they came early from a asiatic branch.

Yes some finns may look like germanians becous they have more caucasian genes than asiatic u understand.

wilpuri View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote wilpuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 18:12

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

I have the basic knowledge from the school history books and it goes something like this: Estonian forefathers came here 4000. BC. They were Asian looking and are regarded as straight forefathers of todays Estonians, Finns, Livonians, Karelians, Vepsians, Isurs and Vadians. Then around 2200. BC the the next migrants came here who were very European looking, and were Indo-Europeans. This has been proven by a reconstructed skull found at a burial site, so they were certainly from the Europidian class or group of people. Up to the middle of the 2nd millenia BC the two tribes integrated into todays Estonians who are European looking.
So i think that Estonians aren't Asian or European descent, they are a mix of both, and that probably goes for the Finns aswell.

This stuff is EXTREMELY old and out-dated. I suggest looking at Kalevi Wiik's theories for alternatives. Fenno-Ugristics seems to be stuck in the 19th Century still...

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2006 at 14:36
Yes, i keep getting the picture that the Finno-Ugric origin is not the common "they came from the Urals", but i haven't been searching for new information on the subject either.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>